Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Sex Symbol

11,500 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
I am using McAfee right now, but it isn't being very reliable.
the best free one is avast best paid is Bitdefender Antivirus Plus

personally i use avast
For free AV you should either get Avira or Bitdefender. Bitdefender is more lightweight, but it doesn't give you many options in terms of control or how it works.

If you want a paid one then either Bitdefender or Kaspersky. I would probably go with Kaspersky just for the fact that their team has found a lot of security issues in the past. You can also check out AVTEST, a third-party company that rates AVs. (Bitdefender and Kaspersky are the top 2)

Demonic Shapeshifter

6,950 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
I use a combination of Bit Defender (Antivirus) and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. If you want, you can check out this list. It ranks popular antivirus programs. http://chart.av-comparatives.org/awards.php

8,050 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
I personally use Avast. However it does have a lot of ad pop ups in the corner of the screen so just be warned of that. Malwarebytes is also a good thing to have

Beloved Demigod

13,225 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Divine Donator 100
I would have to say Avira is my fav I've found it works the best for me biggrin all the PC's I repair I use it and I find it gets rid of the worst bugs along with malwarebytes.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
User Image

I use Avira Pro.

User Image

Newbie Newb

14,075 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Wall Street 200
i use malwarebytes Pro

Divine Sage

Not going to kid you.

Common sense and self discipline. Do not visit questionable sites, do not download and run questionable software, and do not open questionable emails and attachments, and you are pretty much guaranteed to be free from infections.

Aged Lunatic

Flemmes Felares
Not going to kid you.

Common sense and self discipline. Do not visit questionable sites, do not download and run questionable software, and do not open questionable emails and attachments, and you are pretty much guaranteed to be free from infections.

This still only goes so far. Most people wouldn't consider Skype a questionable software, and yet it's frequently been getting used to deploy malware on Windows ever since Microsoft bought Skype and released their version of it, as the newer Skype versions on windows have ads in them now, ads which sadly also hook into the ActiveX IE libs, which can make drive-by infections very easy if you have nothing to potentially prevent it.

Divine Sage

Synapt
Flemmes Felares
Not going to kid you.

This still only goes so far. Most people wouldn't consider Skype a questionable software, and yet it's frequently been getting used to deploy malware on Windows ever since Microsoft bought Skype and released their version of it, as the newer Skype versions on windows have ads in them now, ads which sadly also hook into the ActiveX IE libs, which can make drive-by infections very easy if you have nothing to potentially prevent it.

Better to just avoid using Skype then since virus scanners are not bullet proof software either. The worst infections will almost always make it through even if you keep your vdb up to date. Time to switch to a different call service. There are plenty of ads free software out there. I personally avoid using software with built in ads that cannot be removed anyway.

Aged Lunatic

Flemmes Felares
Synapt
Flemmes Felares
Not going to kid you.

Better to just avoid using Skype then since virus scanners are not bullet proof software either. The worst infections will almost always make it through even if you keep your vdb up to date. Time to switch to a different call service. There are plenty of ads free software out there. I personally avoid using software with built in ads that cannot be removed anyway.

You say that as if it's necessarily an option for people, sometimes it isn't.

And sure Anti-virus applications aren't bullet proof, but if you were going to be thrown into a gun fight would you turn down a bullet proof vest simply because it still leaves a few exposed areas?
Honestly the best one to use is just windows defender combined with spybot search and destroy. McAfee drastically slows down your computer, malwarebytes has malware in it, avg is horrible, and norton is worse than all of them put together

Divine Sage

Synapt
Flemmes Felares
Synapt
Flemmes Felares
Not going to kid you.

You say that as if it's necessarily an option for people, sometimes it isn't.

And sure Anti-virus applications aren't bullet proof, but if you were going to be thrown into a gun fight would you turn down a bullet proof vest simply because it still leaves a few exposed areas?

I really do not see any situation where it would be impossible to change a software if it evidently can be a backdoor for viruses. Hangouts, for example, is free and arguably better than Skype in many ways.

I am not trying to convert people to stop using virus scanners if they feel that the really need that kind of software, but avoiding a gun fight is much better than walking into one with a vest any day.

Aged Lunatic

Flemmes Felares
I really do not see any situation where it would be impossible to change a software if it evidently can be a backdoor for viruses. Hangouts, for example, is free and arguably better than Skype in many ways.

I am not trying to convert people to stop using virus scanners if they feel that the really need that kind of software, but avoiding a gun fight is much better than walking into one with a vest any day.

Like I said, thrown into, which is basically what the internet is. You want utter absolute safety? Don't get online. Otherwise the posts you made kind of did come off as if you were saying anti-virus applications were useless and smart browsing some how magically keeps people completely free of any possible malware/exploit/etc. At least that's how I read it.

As for changing software's, I can only assume you've never been part of even a moderately sized company of any sort with a generic tech division, particularly one that's been relying on Skype as a support medium between divisions since before MS's acquisition.

It can be moderately difficult to suddenly shift everyone into a new model and expect them to get used to it quickly (and I speak from experience with this particular situation as one of my clients currently has this little conundrum with the crapton of people they have utilizing skype for a long time for different divisional groups and many are mull about moving to an alternative).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff