Welcome to Gaia! ::

Impassioned Misfit

EDIT: If you don't know what this is in reference to, check Tektek.
To staff: Tektek has never been competition to you. Tekton has always credited Gaia.
Tektek has always been supplementary. It has always existed to improve the experience of Gaia. Here are a list of features that tektek offers that Gaia does not:
x Easy dream avatar creation.
x Easy item searching. While tektek does have its own ******** with where items show up, they're never on the level of the "beyond" search yielding nothing of an incredibly popular set.
x Intuitively organized item searching. We have a list of types of items, of where on the avatar items go, etc. Categorization is beautiful on tektek. We can even sort by color and further the results from there.
x Context searching.
x Fixing tags and categorizations with haste.
x Inventory inspection: the ability to view our entire inventories in list form. Included is the ability to see the very rough LMP.
x A comprehensive item database that allows us to see where items come from and a quick link in order to access them on Gaia. Many old items on here have lost their tags, so there's no way to know where they're from unless you have an encyclopedic knowledge of item locations.
x Quest bars.
x Profile themes.
And, finally:
x The ability of users to contribute and maintain the site freely. The only reason tektek has lasted this long is because dedicated Gaia users have spent mounds and mounds of time on gathering item data for the avatar simulator. This dedication is and has always been appreciated. Not the case Gaia.

Tektek still being up is one of few reasons to keep using this site as it's become more and more garbage. It's always been a boon for those of us who like building avatars. It's infinite in its usefullness in finding items, viewing items, and avatar contests. By taking this away, you're going to smother contests. You're going to smother the ability to easily make dream avatars. You're going to stick another knife in the community's back. You go on about understanding and wanting to please the userbase and then go do this? You sure love to speak out both sides of your mouth, staff./////
Update as of 5:05 PM 3/11/15:

Soooo, Gaia... bluealaris said it's because tekton started featuring ads for a competing avatar site.
But here's the thing: PRIOR TO RECOLOR.ME BECOMING A THING TEKTEK FEATURED ADS FOR OTHER AVATAR SITES, TOO. THIS HAS BEEN A THING AT LEAST SINCE I JOINED GAIA IN 2006. YOU DIDN'T STATE THAT THIS WAS THE REASON WHY IN THE ******** LETTER, YOU SAY IT'S BECAUSE TL;DR PEOPLE ARE CONFUSED AND THINK TEKTEK IS OWNED BY GAIA.

You say you want to "work this out" and keep tektek up... but you never state that at all in the cease and desist letter. You basically ******** piss yourselves and tell tektek to stop using all Gaia Copyrighted Material in extremely vague terms. You basically tell Tekton to ******** off and that you'll take legal action if he doesn't.

Finally, considering you didn't ******** talk about this unitl tektek put up a notice about it and users are justifiably angry and talking about this, you clearly don't wanna be transparent. This letter is dates over two weeks ago. You had all the time in the world to talk to us about it then, but you didn't. This ain't transparency, it's a logjamming attempt to save face.

Impassioned Misfit

Suggestions:

ElectricTerra's Senpai

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
User Image
Agreed; contests will suffer a LOT from this. The search all Gaia feature in the dressup area just doesn't come remotely close to what Tektek's system offered.

If you are going to go through with shutting Tektek down, I really think that there should be a replication of all of Tektek's features here ON GAIA, of EQUAL OR BETTER QUALITY. The community benefits so much from Tektek that even the frickin' WELCOME FAIRY has a link to it.

Omnipresent Glitch

Daffodil the Destroyer
...The community benefits so much from Tektek that even the frickin' WELCOME FAIRY has a link to it.

If Tektek does end up taken down... how much y'bet the Welcome Fairy won't be updated? I mean, doesn't it still mention zOMG!?

Generous Trader

26,075 Points
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Guildmember 100
  • Winged 100
Daffodil the Destroyer
The community benefits so much from Tektek that even the frickin' WELCOME FAIRY has a link to it.

OMG you are right! I forgot about that. Even though its, supposedly, not affiliated with Gaia Interactive, it's mentioned as a resource. As someone already said though, even the mention of zOMG hasn't been updated with her. Sad thing is, in Web Design 101 keeping up to date is like a "must do" even if it's coding or simply company information. confused

Even worse, they will update the ToS to fit their needs without so much as a notice on the drop of a hat.

nechgol's Waifu

High-functioning Lunatic

If Tektek goes down I demand a ColorBlind Friendly UI!

Perfect Saint

Hmmm. Nothing about Recolor.me? Tekton owns and runs that site and it is also an avatar forum. Not much of a competition, but it is still of the same genre.
Not sure of their real reason to want to get rid of Tektek, but I do hope they will make their own versions of the tools that were quite useful to many people.

They should archive the Dressing Room subforum unless they intend for it to mean another avatar creator other than TekTek. Even if they did, how long before that creator meets the same fate? Their way out is to make their own creator so that the poor forum will not be out of a purpose.

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,925 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
I don't doubt staff has been aware of TekTek for years and the reason they never did anything about it is because they knew it would piss people off. They'd only risk it if they felt like they could make up for it, probably by making their own (shittier) version + with features they could charge real money for.

Unholy Spark

42,875 Points
  • Haunting Echo 75
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Wintersday Bard 50
As a person with a huge inventory, tektek has been broken for me for over a year, but it's still some straight bullshit Gaia's shutting it down. Before it broke for me, Tektek was the best possible way to make an avatar. Gaia's avatar customizer is complete crap by comparison.

Unless Gaia plans on getting 300% better in the customizing department, they're just shooting themselves in the foot. Again.

Undead Enchantress

Daffodil the Destroyer
The community benefits so much from Tektek that even the frickin' WELCOME FAIRY has a link to it.

It also has a link to zOMG and see how well it fared. eek

I'm curious about Gaia's motivations as much as the next Gaian.
Myrielle
Hmmm. Nothing about Recolor.me? Tekton owns and runs that site and it is also an avatar forum. Not much of a competition, but it is still of the same genre.
I don't get why that would be the issue. Tektek has had ads up on their site advertising for other avatar forums for years. The only new factor is Recolor.me happens to be one the creator owns.

It feels like Gaia is majorly shooting themselves in the foot because they don't have a replacement (and even if they make one it won't be half as good). Their tagging system reeks. If I'm dressing up and decide I need something blue to go on one of my arms, I will get maybe a handful of hits trying to search through Gaia and stumble through poses. I can however easily search all possibilities on tektek in a matter of minutes.

Impassioned Misfit

Krissim Klaw
Myrielle
I don't get why that would be the issue. Tektek has had ads up on their site advertising for other avatar forums for years. The only new factor is Recolor.me happens to be one the creator owns.

It feels like Gaia is majorly shooting themselves in the foot because they don't have a replacement (and even if they make one it won't be half as good). Their tagging system reeks. If I'm dressing up and decide I need something blue to go on one of my arms, I will get maybe a handful of hits trying to search through Gaia and stumble through poses. I can however easily search all possibilities on tektek in a matter of minutes.
This exactly. Ads for other avatar sites have been a part of tektek at least since I joined Gaia in 2006. Gaia's inventory and marketplace searching is shitty and counterintuitive. And not functional in many cases, especially regarding tagging. The only thing keeping this site out of the event horizon is user involvement trying to steal away from spaghettification. Taking out tektek is like just sort of casually ejecting half the ship.

Undead Enchantress

Not sure if legit, but dddaaaayyyyaaammm. It gives the impression that Gaia got pissed at all the people complaining about TekTek to them over the months .

Oh shoot. It's for realsies.
http://tektek.org/

Wait. Did bluealaris write that or some other GM?

Mythical Healer

30,565 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Tundra Brawler 100
  • Dragon Master 50
Erynne
Not sure if legit, but dddaaaayyyyaaammm. It gives the impression that Gaia got pissed at all the people complaining about TekTek to them over the months .

Oh shoot. It's for realsies.
http://tektek.org/

Its true, those pictures are straight from tektek

Man-Hungry Fairy

16,200 Points
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Partygoer 500
Tektek has been allied with Gaia for nearly the entire history of the site. The old staff was well-aware of the site and was OK with it. It was a tool that promoted forum activity, market activity, and the profile system.

The new team however, sees Tektek as a threat in terms of stealing images that keep getting peddled in masses. This is just one side-effect of the site's new money tactics. Giving the site more money justifies the takedown of vital resources like this that have been an important part of most Gaian's lives for the past decade.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff