Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,300 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Citizen 200
I get what Gaia was doing LGBTIA flags and what not, and I appreciate it. But it'd be cool if they did something for POC too, like for Black History Month or Hispanic Heritage Month (though I think HHM might only be an American thing, in which case I'd kind of get why Gaia doesn't do anything). Sometimes I feel like we're invisible/irrelevant on here, and we're not. It doesn't have to be a major event like Christmas or Halloween, but something small to show support would be nice.

Fuzzy Explorer

are there flags that are universally recognized and not tied in with hate groups for people of color of various ethnicity?

Animal Animal

I don't think that's a very good idea. sad

Big Member

20,000 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Magical Girl 50
I'm not sure ethnicity flags are a thing...
Whereas LGBTQA+ flags are very much a thing.

Festive Singing

27,600 Points
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
I can see where you're coming from, but I think there's one thing you're missing. If Gaia did do something for Black History Month, or Hispanic Heritage, then people not from America would start going "well what about us? We're on here too..."

An example could easily be Aboriginals from Australia asking for an item or flag representing them, or the Mauri from New Zealand, or just "white" people from various nations.

While I understand people from all backgrounds and heritages should be equal and what not, I just think Gaia would open a flood gate if they made an item or a flag for just one or two groups of people, or ethnicity.

Sexuality is worldwide. Race and ethnicity isn't as broad. So, personally, I'd rather they didn't do something for one, and then not do something for another. Then again, if they did start doing that, I could totally ask for an ANZAC day event...

Jo Constantine's Partner

Colorful Technician

Black History Month is also American-centric (or at least I have never heard of it being a big to-do anywhere else). The flag associated with it that I googled was specifically an African-American flag. Is there another small symbol that they could use instead?

While I think that it would be great to have more done for people of different ethnicities and nationalities, it's going to be difficult to do that. How are you going to find something to represent the communities? If you go with flags, where do you draw the line or do you have to make all of them or face the backlash that came out for not having a particular flag? Would they release an Aboriginal flag? Or a Maori flag?

Great idea, but I see there being a lot of problems with implementation. It's better to have items representing certain backgrounds (like, can we have more than just Asian inspired items when we're not doing Euro-centric?) than to have items saying 'I am this' or 'I support this'.

Also, totally support Fiorii in wanting an ANZAC Day event if that happens. Suddenly my B'Day gets extra gifts (and, yes, I respect everything that comes with it, since I'm one of those people who watches the dawn service and annoyed I couldn't go to this year's dawn service in Villers-Bretonneux).

Bashful Faun

15,190 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
Good lord, we barely waded trough the mess that resulted with those flags, imagine the level of noise something with even more diversity, like ethnicity, would create.
No just no, I am getting a headache just for thinking of it.

In a relationship with his right hand

Aged Accumulator

I don't know, racial pride is a pretty touchy subject for a lot of people. While I can appreciate the intentions, this really doesn't seem like a topic for Gaia to address. The pride flags alone opened up a lot of very unpleasant topics and there had to be a staff reminder telling people not to be assholes. One of the great things about Gaia is that you can be any colour you want, dark, light, green, blue, actually black and white, or some variation there of. I can see where the flags were coming from, sort of, in that you can't discern someone's orientation by just looking at them, but with race there are a wide variety of skin tones available. You're really not invisible, except, y'know, when the layering systems buggers up. The challenges you face in real life because of your skin colour? Those absolutely are invisible on Gaia, and I think that's a good thing. This is a fantasy world, a place to get away from the hate, bias, and struggles of real life. A safe haven where we can pretend for bit that our troubles are far away. Sure there places on the site that cater to discussion of the those things, we're got a current events forum and the ED, but for the site as a whole it just doesn't seem appropriate.

Questionable Man-Lover

I think it is a lot better United Nations Day..Like all the flags in the world from each country can be used as a bg.

Undead Enchantress

Minefield.

Soon people will request a straight white flag and claim it would complement the soldat uniforms and Untoten items already in existence.

I rather not have them create more delineations.

Distrustful Scamp

30,875 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Astral Veteran 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
We would have an incredibly long way to go for something like that. Like previous has stated, while the flags were implemented, look at all the issues we had when they came about. It would probably escalate tenfold. Minorities are a very large spectrum of people, even larger than sexuality.
If you saw the bad tension between allies and the LGBTQIA then I could only imagine the sheer chaos from POC, unrecognized POC and non-POC.

Flags for nations would probably be a better idea.

(Believe me, I can feel your plight, as someone who is Aftican-American and Asexual)

Rainbow Tycoon

33,625 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Tycoon 200
I'd like it if there was a flag for every country, but that'd get pretty crazy.

Stellar Succubus

Gaia wasnt leaving anyone out, they were responding to a direct and long term request by LGBTQIA folks.

The reason the flags were made, was after years of directly asking for such flags by gaia members. Im talking at least four years of it if I remember correctly.

If you want items to represent culture, which I do not disagree with at all, petition for them, thats a great way to get your idea noticed, and to give gaia an indication of how much an item is wanted.

Good luck if you do!

Assimilated Survivor

Oh man. My eyes rolled so far back into the back of my head they almost got lost.

Vicious Brawler

19,975 Points
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
It might be nice, actually. And I'm actually having difficult reasons thinking why it's not nice.

But to be fair, a lot of the ethnic history months are American-specific (because...well, our specific race issues are peculiar to us). Race issues in other countries, like - let's say - Europe or Brazil (and yes, I know, I'm listing a continent and a country) are quite different than from here.

Also, as much as I'd like to express my pride in being black, if you remember the shitstorm about Y DERE NO STR8 PRYDE FLAGZZZZ QQ, multiply that by 10 when Gaia doesn't put in a white pride flag (for very obvious reasons).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff