Welcome to Gaia! ::

Space Elder

A private roleplay for BlackSplash and NibbleKat only.

Space Elder

_______Donnie Hughes
_______Special effects artist and cocktail genius.

A tropical paradise in deepest, darkest Norwich. It certainly didn't look like it from the outside. A tiny wooden shed, tucked away in the corner of an ordinary suburban garden, complete with white plastic lawn chairs and unidentifiable shrubbery.

The shed looked even less tropical from the inside. Every available surface, including the ceiling, was covered in photographs, sketches, and masks. Wedged in front of the shed's one window was a small desk, littered with coffee mugs and sculpting tools. The smell of old coffee mingled with solvents and ammonia.
A small electric heater was blasting the room to a balmy temperature that, combined with the rainforest ambience playing from a set of speakers mounted in the corners of the room, made the space feel larger and more exotic than it really was.

Hunched over the desk, tongue poking out in concentration, Donnie scratched away at the lump of clay in front of her. She wasn't making anything in particular, so much as experimenting. A selection of textured items were spread out on the cramped desk and, every so often, she would run her fingers over one of them, close her eyes and stroke the clay, comparing the two.

Her battered old leather jacket was draped over the back of the chair, almost trailing on the dusty floor. Even in the heat of the shed, she was still wearing one of her many scarves wrapped around her neck, the ends thrown over her shoulders to keep them away from the clay that was splodged all over her tshirt and jeans and even caked in her short red hair.

|ooc: Is that ok for a beginning?|

NibbleKat

morleybell's Wife

Dapper Phantom

13,500 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Will Edric

User Image

We’re gonna shine on through the night
    burning like a fire,
      like every woman, every man.
        Sparkle for me, baby…
          The universe is in your hands!

The ancient ones were the best. She was a beauty, this one, robin’s egg blue, wood panels gleaming, her engine whisper-singing under the pulsating rhythm of Adam and the Ants. Arm dangling out the window, one eye on the clouds in the distance, daring them to draw nearer, Will caressed the Morris Minor just above her door handle. She wasn’t his, specifically. She belonged to the Company, but they all thrilled in the magic she created. It was glorious to touch her. Her magic thrummed under her paint, purred beneath her white-walled tires, and turned heads no matter where she went. He made a left without signaling.

Down one street, up another, winding his way toward another sort of magic. He could feel it on the wind, smell it like a land-locked sailor scents the ocean. The magic of creation, creativity, the creator. Her creations. His niece, of a sort, although the blood ties were more complicated than that, far more distant. Soon to be less so, if he could tease a little kindness from Fate. Or thieve it. A smile curled the edges of his lips, lifting the whorled ends of his moustache.

He parked on the edge of the street and stepped out, black boots grinding pebbles beneath them. Sunlight set his hair afire, from the tip of his tiny ponytail to the end of the loose strand undulating in the breeze. Unerring strides carried him to her workshop. He could have found it with his eyes closed; her creativity radiated from it, warming his bones, calling to him. Knuckling his sunglasses a little higher up the bridge of his nose, he slowed his pace to a stroll and surveyed the shed’s windows. Opaque from this side, he couldn’t see in, but she could see out, and he stopped where she might most easily spy him. Black pants, buckled boots, and a white shirt that made a pass at billowy, he stood like a man taller than himself on the little patch of emerald grass. Smiling. Just barely, a brow cocked, but smiling.

“Donnie,” he whispered, an invitation, a request, a summons.

Space Elder

_______Donnie Hughes

There was a momentary lull in the tropical surroundings, briefly returning Donnie to reality. Realising how stiff her shoulders and back were, she leaned back in her seat, stretching out her limbs, and idly gazed out of the window. The sight that greeted her threw her off-balance quite literally, as the chair tipped over backwards and clattered to the floor.

Narrowly avoiding cracking her head on the edge of the desk as she surfaced, Donnie threw open the shed door and for a moment, stared open-mouthed at the man on the lawn. How many years had it been? Yet he didn't look a day older. Grinning from ear to ear, she cried, "Uncle! What are you doing here?"

NibbleKat

morleybell's Wife

Dapper Phantom

13,500 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Will Edric

User Image

burning like a fire,
        Sparkle for me, baby…

Will laughed. It was a rich sound, full and vibrant and sweet, like honey in the sun. Donnie's surprise was so complete he could do nothing but laugh, although it lacked the sting of mockery. He was pleased, and it showed in the crows' feet crinkling from behind his sunglasses and in the full compliment of blindingly white, perfect teeth forming the majority of his grin.

"Hello, Trouble. The Company's back in town, so I thought I'd stop by and see my favorite of favorites. How've you been?"

He crossed the lawn and reached out for her, intending to sweep her off her feet and swirl her around in his arms as he'd done when she was a child. Whether or not she'd let him was another matter; she was far from thirteen any longer, and time had spread out between them.

Space Elder

_______Donnie Hughes

Seeing her beloved uncle for the first time in over a decade, Donnie felt like a child again. Her long stride quickly covered the distance between them; faster than she had expected. In the years since she had last seen him, Donnie had shot up by at least a foot, so when she wrapped her arms around him, he felt smaller than before, a disconcerting feeling compared with her memories of him as a man who could do anything.

"I'm good, but how did you know where I live? I moved out ten years ago." she asked, still hugging him tightly, her words slightly muffled by his shoulder. Now that he was back, she didn't wanted to let go.

|ooc: Sorry for such a slow reply. I've been out late with work stuff this week.|

NibbleKat

morleybell's Wife

Dapper Phantom

13,500 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Will Edric

User Image

burning like a fire,
        Sparkle for me, baby…

She had changed, of course-- those of her blood did. It was still slightly disconcerting, even after so many, many years of seeing friend after lover after enemy age, wither, and die. The difference was made all the clearer by his absence from her; change was inevitable, like the tide, but that made it no less difficult to accept, especially when so much of the old world, the old ways, were sliding further and further away.

He held her at arm's length, studying her before he whipped his sunglasses off and tucked them in a shirt pocket that seemed to appear from nowhere, possibly hidden within the blowsy folds of the material. Blue-green eyes crinkled at her, so bright a shade that it seemed they'd been dyed in the waters of the Caribbean.

"Has it been so long?" The question was a laugh, brushing her own to the side. "Quite the lovely place, by the way. Rustic," he peered over her shoulder, one brow arcing at the shed. "Have I caught you a good time? I'd like to take you out for ... what do you drink now, tea? Coffee? And catch up. We're only a few miles west, right by the old barrow. All the old rascals who used to tease you are there."

(OOC: Noooo big. smile I've been busy, too!

Space Elder

_______Donnie Hughes

Uncle Will hadn't changed a bit; including his frustrating habit of ignoring her questions. Donnie decided not to push him about it now, instead filing it away for later interrogation, after loosening his tongue with some cocktails.

"Sophie and Tanya refused point blank to let me work on my projects in the house, so I made my own little home from home, at the bottom of the garden. Sometimes I can even guilt them into bringing me coffee," she grinned. "Speaking of which, I wouldn't say no to some right now, but only if we can go to Bellman's. They do the best coffee in Norwich, and I speak from experience. You wouldn't believe the ditchwater some places try to claim is coffee," Donnie said, sticking her tongue out and pulling a face.

"Do they know you call them rascals behind their backs?" she asked, remembering how highly some of the Company thought of themselves. "Isla would probably have your head." She paused, tapping her lips and trying to look angelic. "Maybe I should tell her what you said about her. Unless you feel like buying my silence with chocolate cake?"

NibbleKat

morleybell's Wife

Dapper Phantom

13,500 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Will Edric

User Image

burning like a fire,
        Sparkle for me, baby…

Will let her effusiveness roll over him, happy to be in her presence. Business could be mixed with pleasure. He positively glowed, in fact, until she mentioned Isla. His face remained pleasant, smiling, aside from the tiniest narrowing of his mouth. He let the comment fall like a wet, dirty sock between them.

The shed called to him. So much glamour poured forth from it that it was difficult to resist striding over to it to bask and recharge in the creative essence Donnie unwittingly imbued it with.

Still. A little taste. Just to tide him over. The need drove him to speak, along with a natural curiosity borne from fondness for his niece and her natural (ha! Natural) abilities. "You can have all the chocolate cake you can possibly eat. My wallet's full at the moment. Just as long as you've gotten over how it used to make you hyper, and if you let me have a peek at your creations. Perhaps we can bring a few over to the lads to see, as well. They'd like to see how you've improved, you know, just as much as I do. We've got an entirely new repertoire this season. It's all centered around Good Folk, and we could use some fresh costumes. Masks. What have you."

The smile deepened, curving into mischief.

Space Elder

_______Donnie Hughes

The promise of cake was enough for Donnie. "Sounds like a deal," she nodded, distracted by thoughts of Bellman's red velvet cake. "Most of the stuff in the shed is just personal projects, nothing like any of my commissions; they're all in my workshop in town. But I've got some pictures around somewhere, if you'd like."

Opening the shed door, she was hit by a wave of heat and rainforest sounds. All that was missing was a bird of paradise. And a torrential downpour. "Sorry about the mess," Donnie said, gesturing for Will to enter. "If I'd known you were coming, I'd have tided up. Actually, that's not true. I don't think this shed has ever been tidy." She shrugged. It wasn't like anyone else ever went into the shed and besides, she knew roughly where everything was. "Anyway, if you want me to make you guys some custom masks, then we can work out some details and whatnot over coffee."

NibbleKat

morleybell's Wife

Dapper Phantom

13,500 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Will Edric

User Image

burning like a fire,
        Sparkle for me, baby…

He stepped inside, glorying in the glamour like a starved man, eyes lidded, breathing in the scent of creation.

"Donnie," he said softly, stalling just a little before they were to head off to this Bellman's in order to soak it all in, "at some point, you should show me your workshop in town. There's so much I've missed. I... I apologize for being absent for so long." It was true. Time passed so quickly and yet so slowly for his kind, especially over the border in the Kingdom. And then there had been the... incident. He pressed his lips tightly together, then forced a smile.

She had, in fact, improved, as anyone would have in time and with practice, but there was more. Something dazzling and inventive and otherworldly lurked in her pieces. Pride swelled his chest.

"Shall we go? And we'll stop by the barrow, before or after, if you'd like."

Space Elder

_______Donnie Hughes

"We can totally swing by my workshop on our way to Bellman's, if you'd like; it's practically next door. And now you mention it, I'd love to show you one of my recent pieces. It's not finished yet, but I'm really pleased with it so far," she said, smiling brightly at her uncle.

Laying her hand on his shoulder, Donnie's expression softened. In a more subdued tone, she continued, "It's ok. I'm just glad you're back." Her face lit up again. "Besides, it means we've got a lot to talk about over coffee. Oh, and can we bring to cake to everyone at the barrow? I'm sure they'd all love to try some," she said, shrugging on her jacket despite the heat inside the shed.

NibbleKat

morleybell's Wife

Dapper Phantom

13,500 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Will Edric

User Image

burning like a fire,
        Sparkle for me, baby…

Will patted her hand, letting his linger on hers for a moment. His eyes softened. Then, with a nod, he replied, "Of course. Cake all around." And then he was moving toward the door, striding out into the yard. His hair gleamed like burnished copper, setting the sunlight on fire. Gesturing to the Morris Minor, he flung open the passenger door as an afterthought and leapt into the driver's seat. The old car smelled odd... a mixture of leather seats and lavender, the hint of seabreeze, and somewhere deep beneath all of those, the sweet smell of mead.

"I have something for you," he said. "A present, if you'll have it. It's back with the Company. They're keeping it safe."

Space Elder

_______Donnie Hughes

Donnie paused when she spotted the old car. "Is that... Are you still driving the same car?" she asked incredulously, walking around the outside of the vehicle. It looked so familiar but surely a car like that wouldn't still be working after all these years, would it?

Folding herself into the passenger seat, she rubbed her hands over the polished wooden panels and smooth leather of the seat. "It still feels brand new and it even smells the same! Seriously, how is that even possible?"

Donnie raised an eyebrow at Will's mention of a gift. "Safe for me or for the present? You haven't bought me a pet, have you? Because I don't me landlord would be too happy about me bringing another animal home. You should have seen his face when he saw the last one," she said, grinning.

|ooc: Is now a good point for a time-skip to the cafe? Or we could even skip straight to the barrow?|

NibbleKat

morleybell's Wife

Dapper Phantom

13,500 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Will Edric

User Image

burning like a fire,
        Sparkle for me, baby…

The miles rolled by under the Morris’ wheels. Betty, he called the old car. That is, when he wasn’t calling her Rosa, Gwen, or Estell. She purred along the winding country roads, braking only once to allow a hedgehog to trundle past, much to Will’s amusement. “Better than bloody sheep,” he muttered, and continued on. He glowed. Cake and coffee had gone well, and he’d dodged many an answer to the expected questions having to do with the hows, wheres, and whys. He’d parried with his own, asking Donnie about her craft, the supplies she used, where she’d gone on holiday last summer, and if she’d seen the tall ships come in to port along the coast four years ago (“There was a ship by the name of Mary Redd. The crew? Mates of mine.”) Even in the car, he doled out details like a miser, hinting at his past but never revealing it. His chatter flowed easily without overwhelming Donnie’s.

It was a good ride, he noted with a smile as they crested a hill and pointed. “There we all are!”
The Company was scattered across a dale, taking up most of the car lot not far from an ancient mound of earth. Vehicles of every sort grouped together on the tarmac: a large, blue traveling camper, one patched-together Fiat, a modest pickup truck that looked suspiciously like it might still contain fertilizer, and two gypsy wagons, one in earthen tones, the other the same bright blue as Betty. Rosa. Gwen.

Will pulled up next to this last and parked behind it. Rather than horse-drawn, both gypsy carts had been converted ostensibly into motorized vehicles, although their dependability might be called in question at first glance. The blue one was missing a quarter of its fender.

“Home sweet home,” Will grinned, popping open his door. “Sorry we look like a bunch of travelers. Suppose we are, really.”

There was no one in sight.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces