Welcome to Gaia! ::

A new report is out from the Justice Department, and it confirms something most of have already guessed in the wake of the killing of Michael Brown - that the Ferguson cops exhibit a pattern of behaviour most people would have to call racist. More disturbing than that, the report details that the rot goes all the way to the top, with the purpose of such things as fines being revenue generation. In other words, the city as a whole is engaging in an activity that if you or I did it, it would be called extortion or racketeering:

Rolling Stone
Ferguson, Missouri's police department and court system will need extensive retraining and outside oversight to correct the pattern of racial bias and unconstitutional practices that the U.S. government has uncovered. In an eye-opening, 105-page report (viewable as a PDF via The New York Times), the Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division detailed years of abuse of authority, racist behavior and unethical moneymaking schemes carried out by city officials.

The Justice Department believed Ferguson was open to making the necessary changes to meet its standards rather than face a federal lawsuit. Ferguson Mayor James Knowles has said the city has begun making changes, according to the Times. "Today's report allows the City of Ferguson to identify problems, not only in our Police Department but in the entire St. Louis region," he said. "We must do better not only as a city, but as a state and as a country. We must all work to address issues of racial disparity in all aspects of society."

The full document expounds on Tuesday's preliminary reports of racial profiling and civil rights violations, illustrating the racial slurs and examples of excessive force that the Justice Department said seemed commonplace in the city for years. As the Times reports, Ferguson police stopped and handcuffed citizens without probable cause, used stun guns without feeling threatened and mistreated residents who attempted to stand up for their constitutional rights.

Among the disturbing findings, police carried out "pedestrian checks," in which they stopped people on the street and demanded to see ID; those who did not comply were typically arrested. Moreover, authority figures within the police department encouraged thuggish behavior, such as using stun guns on people who attempted to assert their rights. "Supervisors seem to believe that any level of resistance justifies any level of force," the report says.

Police also made arrests by using a system they called "wanteds," where officers put a citizen's name in the police's computer system, ensuring an arrest if he or she is stopped by authorities in the future. The report cited one officer who said that he used that tactic if he did not have probable cause for an arrest. The government concluded that Ferguson was more concerned with a high number of arrests than with public safety.

The Justice Department also took issue with the city's court system, whose employees work under the police chief and whose prosecutor is also Ferguson's city lawyer. The City Council appoints the town's judges. In Ferguson, it has not been unusual for people who missed payments, court appearances or showed up on traffic violations to go to jail. Court fines, the Times reports, make a significant source of revenue, and city officials were found congratulating one another on exceeding revenue goals.

One of the more alarming findings was the series of racist jokes city officials shared with one another via city e-mail systems; among the recipients are the senior city officials who must decide how to react to the Justice Department's findings. Some of the more questionable e-mails compared President Obama to a monkey, showed a photo of topless African women with a caption suggesting "Michele Obama's High School Reunion" and "joked" that the city should commend black women who get abortions for preventing crime.

(link)

Here are some choice bits from the report itself:

Quote:
Officers expect and demand compliance even when they lack legal authority. They are inclined to interpret the exercise of free-speech rights as unlawful disobedience, innocent movements as physical threats, indications of mental or physical illness as belligerence. Police supervisors and leadership do too little to ensure that officers act in accordance with law and policy, and rarely respond meaningfully to civilian complaints of officer misconduct. The result is a pattern of stops without reasonable suspicion and arrests without probable cause in violation of the Fourth Amendment; infringement on free expression, as well as retaliation for protected expression, in violation of the First Amendment; and excessive force in violation of the Fourth Amendment.

Data collected by the Ferguson Police Department from 2012 to 2014 shows that African Americans account for 85% of vehicle stops, 90% of citations, and 93% of arrests made by FPD officers, despite comprising only 67% of Ferguson’s population. African Americans are more than twice as likely as white drivers to be searched during vehicle stops even after controlling for non-race based variables such as the reason the vehicle stop was initiated, but are found in possession of contraband 26% less often than white drivers, suggesting officers are impermissibly considering race as a factor when determining whether to search. African Americans are more likely to be cited and arrested following a stop regardless of why the stop was initiated and are more likely to receive multiple citations during a single incident. From 2012 to 2014, FPD issued four or more citations to African Americans on 73 occasions, but issued four or more citations to non-African Americans only twice. FPD appears to bring certain offenses almost exclusively against African Americans. For example, from 2011 to 2013, African Americans accounted for 95% of Manner of Walking in Roadway charges, and 94% of all Failure to Comply charges. Notably, with 5 respect to speeding charges brought by FPD, the evidence shows not only that African Americans are represented at disproportionately high rates overall, but also that the disparate impact of FPD’s enforcement practices on African Americans is 48% larger when citations are issued not on the basis of radar or laser, but by some other method, such as the officer’s own visual assessment.

These disparities are also present in FPD’s use of force. Nearly 90% of documented force used by FPD officers was used against African Americans. In every canine bite incident for which racial information is available, the person bitten was African American.

Even as officers have answered the call for greater revenue through code enforcement, the City continues to urge the police department to bring in more money. In a March 2013 email, the Finance Director wrote: “Court fees are anticipated to rise about 7.5%. I did ask the Chief if he thought the PD could deliver 10% increase. He indicated they could try.” Even more recently, the City’s Finance Director stated publicly that Ferguson intends to make up a 2014 revenue shortfall in 2015 through municipal code enforcement, stating to Bloomberg News that “[t]here’s about a million-dollar increase in public-safety fines to make up the difference.”...The City goes so far as to direct FPD to develop enforcement strategies and initiatives, not to better protect the public, but to raise more revenue....The City has been aware for years of concerns about the impact its focus on revenue has had on lawful police action and the fair administration of justice in Ferguson. It has disregarded those concerns—even concerns raised from within the City government—to avoid disturbing the court’s ability to optimize revenue generation.

FPD engages in a pattern of excessive force in violation of the Fourth Amendment. Many officers are quick to escalate encounters with subjects they perceive to be disobeying their orders or resisting arrest. They have come to rely on ECWs, specifically Tasers®, where less force—or no force at all—would do. They also release canines on unarmed subjects unreasonably and before attempting to use force less likely to cause injury. Some incidents of excessive force result from stops or arrests that have no basis in law. Others are punitive and retaliatory. In addition, FPD records suggest a tendency to use unnecessary force against vulnerable groups such as people with mental health conditions or cognitive disabilities, and juvenile students....The department’s own records demonstrate that, as with other types of force, canine officers use dogs out of proportion to the threat posed by the people they encounter, leaving serious puncture wounds to nonviolent offenders, some of them children. Furthermore, in every canine bite incident for which racial information is available, the subject was African American.

Eloquent Lunatic

10,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

People can turn a blind eye and perform any mental gymnastics they want to justify LEO actions, but the fact of the matter is that our police force is one of the most violent and corrupt of all first world countries.

Divine Anubutt

27,850 Points
  • Skilled Snowfriend Architect 100
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • WilyTrickster 50
what a surprise our cops are running a crime syndicate. how did we not see this coming ¬_¬

Super Streaker

9,175 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
BREAKING NEWS
Water is wet.
More information at five. ninja

Ferocious Browser

I agree with all the other users stating this is no surprise. However, I still feel this is news. This report has the numbers, the data and the statistical analysis to back it up. It isn't a 'he said' 'she said' anymore. This type of information is much harder to dismiss or ignore or belittle.
I noticed you put up the Department of Justice Investigation without actually talking about Michael Brown. The investigation also found that Michael Brown did not have his hands up, as people doing the "hands up" thing mistakenly believe, and that he charged at office Wilson. They decided not to pursue charges against Wilson, saying that, as Wilson had said all along, it was an act of self-defense. So Wilson's clear now. I thought that might be relevant to any Ferguson news, that people were wrong about the Michael Brown incident.

Time-traveling Senshi

It's not so much the fact that the department that's corrupt that's the news but rather what they've been doing and why that's the news. Like the woman who is still paying off a parking ticket that she's gone to jail for because they claim she's never paid it. Or the guy whom they claimed was a child molester and wouldn't let him call anyone or leave the park where he was playing ball with his friends that ended up losing his job. It's the whole deal where a black resident will get pulled over for failing to stop at a stop sign and get cited for not wearing their seat belt, a broken back light, and expired plates on the car. They're creating reasons to pile on infractions and see who can write the most tickets in one stop. The whole department is screwed up. Most police are good people but it seems like Ferguson and Cleavland have some massive issues to work through.

Eloquent Lunatic

10,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
bogosghost1
I noticed you put up the Department of Justice Investigation without actually talking about Michael Brown. The investigation also found that Michael Brown did not have his hands up, as people doing the "hands up" thing mistakenly believe, and that he charged at office Wilson. They decided not to pursue charges against Wilson, saying that, as Wilson had said all along, it was an act of self-defense. So Wilson's clear now. I thought that might be relevant to any Ferguson news, that people were wrong about the Michael Brown incident.
And you're still wrong.

No, they weren't able to determine that his hands were up. They also weren't able to determine if he was charging Wilson; all we had was a bunch of "Maybes", "Potentially", and "Could have been" from forensics. With lack of reliable witness testimonies and video evidence, no one knows exactly how the situation panned out. You don't know what you're talking about and parroting ignorant s**t that you heard people spreading around as if it was absolute truth. Wilson was cleared due to lack of evidence; I may not agree with it, but that's how the system works.

However, the fact that the Ferguson police department (Among many throughout the nation) systematically target people based on their racial, economic, and social status while needlessly escalating situations is observable and proven.
Chibi Halo
          It's not so much the fact that the department that's corrupt that's the news but rather what they've been doing and why that's the news. Like the woman who is still paying off a parking ticket that she's gone to jail for because they claim she's never paid it. Or the guy whom they claimed was a child molester and wouldn't let him call anyone or leave the park where he was playing ball with his friends that ended up losing his job. It's the whole deal where a black resident will get pulled over for failing to stop at a stop sign and get cited for not wearing their seat belt, a broken back light, and expired plates on the car. They're creating reasons to pile on infractions and see who can write the most tickets in one stop. The whole department is screwed up. Most police are good people but it seems like Ferguson and Cleavland have some massive issues to work through.

Fun fact: When Officer Wilson's past was dug up in the wake of the Brown shooting, what immediately stood out was that before he came to Ferguson, he was a cop in a town that had racist cop issues so bad that the ENTIRE FORCE had to be dismissed en masse and replaced with outsiders.

Time-traveling Senshi

azulmagia
Chibi Halo

Fun fact: When Officer Wilson's past was dug up in the wake of the Brown shooting, what immediately stood out was that before he came to Ferguson, he was a cop in a town that had racist cop issues so bad that the ENTIRE FORCE had to be dismissed en masse and replaced with outsiders.

Dude had a history and nobody questioned it when they found out. Man things are screwed up in Missouri.

Eloquent Lunatic

10,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
azulmagia
Chibi Halo

It's just a nationwide, systemic failing of training, discipline, and accountability from law enforcement officers.

I'm currently out of my home state and living in Minnesota for college, and I've been harassed several times by the small town police. What charges? Basically for having out of state tags on my car. To spare the details, I've been pulled over 3 times now by the same cop who would always say something along the lines of "Expired registration" when it's not, "Investigating criminal activity" when he has no right to detain me, and "Searching for a stolen vehicle" when that's just completely contrived bullshit. Every time they would ask for my ID and if I would allow a search, and every time I would refuse.

"Am I being detained?"
Sometimes he would say yes.
"Under what charge?"
Usually he would say something about an investigation.
"If I'm not suspected of committing any crime, then you have no legal authority to detain me. Am I free to go?"

Basic summary, but that's usually how it went down, and all 3 times he let me go on my way after wasting 30 minutes to an hour of my time. People often say I have an irrational hatred of law enforcement, but I have plenty reason to be distrustful of them. Then people say we need them to protect us.

This texas town says that's a crock of s**t.

Eloquent Lunatic

10,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
Chibi Halo
azulmagia
Chibi Halo

Dude had a history and nobody questioned it when they found out. Man things are screwed up in Missouri.

People are sadly mistaken if they think this is limited to Missouri.

The Brown vs Wilson case is pretty irrelevant at this point, though; since there was an overall lack of evidence to prove anything either way, all it does is inflame opinions from people who believe they know how things happened there better than those that were involved.

Hilarious Puppy

Bzzztt
BREAKING NEWS
Water is wet.
More information at five. ninja

Awwwww! I hate wet water! cat_scream
Valiant Corvus
bogosghost1
And you're still wrong.

No, they weren't able to determine that his hands were up. They also weren't able to determine if he was charging Wilson; all we had was a bunch of "Maybes", "Potentially", and "Could have been" from forensics. With lack of reliable witness testimonies and video evidence, no one knows exactly how the situation panned out. You don't know what you're talking about and parroting ignorant s**t that you heard people spreading around as if it was absolute truth. Wilson was cleared due to lack of evidence; I may not agree with it, but that's how the system works.

However, the fact that the Ferguson police department (Among many throughout the nation) systematically target people based on their racial, economic, and social status while needlessly escalating situations is observable and proven.

Darren Wilson

"Versions of events that sharply conflicted with Mr. Wilson’s were largely inconsistent with forensic evidence or with the witnesses’ previous statements, the report said. And in some cases, witnesses whose accounts supported Mr. Wilson said they had been afraid to come forth or tell the truth because they feared reprisals from the enraged community."

"But federal agents and civil rights prosecutors rejected that story [the "hands up, don't shoot" version], just as a state grand jury did in November when it decided not to indict Mr. Wilson. "

“There is no evidence upon which prosecutors can rely to disprove Wilson’s stated subjective belief that he feared for his safety,” the report said. At the same time, it concluded that the witnesses who said that Mr. Brown was surrendering were not credible.

“Those witness accounts stating that Brown never moved back toward Wilson could not be relied upon in a prosecution because their accounts cannot be reconciled with the DNA bloodstain evidence and other credible witness accounts.

From the words of Eric Holder himself,

"The facts do not support the filing of criminal charges against Officer Darren Wilson in this case,”

Also

"Among the witnesses who told investigators that they had been nervous about corroborating Mr. Wilson’s account was a 31-year-old black woman who had been standing on her brother’s balcony at the time of the shooting. Her initial account to investigators, in which she said that she saw Mr. Wilson fire shots into Mr. Brown’s back as he lay dead on the street, was inconsistent with the autopsy findings.

When federal investigators challenged her, she admitted lying, explained to the F.B.I. that “you’ve gotta live the life to know it,” and said she had been afraid to contradict stories that Mr. Brown had been trying to surrender.

She then “admitted that she saw Mr. Brown running toward Mr. Wilson, prompting the police officer to yell ‘freeze,’ ” the report stated. It added that the woman said that “it appeared to her that Wilson’s life was in danger.” "

Nope, that is a case closed. Evidence of witnesses lying about the hands up scenario? Present. Witness accounts that Michael Brown charging and Wilson's life was in danger? Present. The forensics analysis and DNA evidence backs up Wilson's story.

You're being extremely generous saying the conclusion was "potential, maybe, could have been" evidence. That's the best that people supporting the hands up story could hope for. Daren Wilson's story? Backed up by the facts. Even ERIC HOLDER says the facts don't support filing criminal charges against Daren Wilson. So yes, "hands up, don't shoot" is wrong, but will probably continue to be said as a race issue.

Time-traveling Senshi

Valiant Corvus
Chibi Halo
azulmagia
Chibi Halo

People are sadly mistaken if they think this is limited to Missouri.

The Brown vs Wilson case is pretty irrelevant at this point, though; since there was an overall lack of evidence to prove anything either way, all it does is inflame opinions from people who believe they know how things happened there better than those that were involved.

Right I realize that, which is why I mentioned the other prominent place that's having issues as well. However, there are some things that were brought to light by the DOJ investigation that are giving his parents ground to stand on for a civil suit. It's also looking like Cleavland could be visited by the DOJ again in light of the latest incident where the police screwed up badly and are now saying it wasn't even their fault and even the mayor there is standing by that crap. DOJ already investigated Cleavland once before after a car chase went horribly wrong. In that instance there were over forty cars chasing after one couple and well over sixty rounds of bullets fired into their car with one guy being personally responsible for fourteen rounds right into the windshield. So yes, Cleavland and other departments like them have a lot of issues to deal with when it comes to how they police the area the serve.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff