Welcome to Gaia! ::

Religions change over time causing them to inherently contradict themselves from their past selves, meaning they can't be correct.

Right? I mean there could be a few technical adjustments, but lets see where you guys take it.
Contradicting themselves at different points in time isn't the issue. Any intellectually honest person's beliefs will change over time as evidence and experience leads them to rethink old assumptions.

The issue with certain religious groups isn't that their morality has changed, it's that they won't admit to that fact. If your god is moral and unchanging, then all his past actions must be moral, even if it's something as commonly accepted as immoral as, for example, the mass slaughtering of babies. That leaves you in the position of either burying your head in the sand or outright saying that mass baby slaughter is moral.
IronySandwich
Contradicting themselves at different points in time isn't the issue. Any intellectually honest person's beliefs will change over time as evidence and experience leads them to rethink old assumptions.

The issue with certain religious groups isn't that their morality has changed, it's that they won't admit to that fact. If your god is moral and unchanging, then all his past actions must be moral, even if it's something as commonly accepted as immoral as, for example, the mass slaughtering of babies. That leaves you in the position of either burying your head in the sand or outright saying that mass baby slaughter is moral.
If the works were divinely inspired, new works being added, some being taken out, meaning change over time, etc, all reduce said accuracy. Then there was a time before works were claimed to have been 'divinely inspired' because the culture had different religions or beliefs before said works.

So while you are correct in the case of individuals I mean to say, when they claim its the absolute truth it sort of implies unchanging because of god being timeless or just immune to Human problems.
NewtonsFlamingLaserSword
Religions change over time causing them to inherently contradict themselves from their past selves, meaning they can't be correct.

Right? I mean there could be a few technical adjustments, but lets see where you guys take it.

This is neither how causality nor logic works. If this is not clear, please examine the case of the following analogy.

If I say "Red is a word describing a color" - then play the telephone game until the end result is "Radish and turds are scribed on the floor" - what part of the corresponding gibberish exactly invalidates the primary statement? In what way do the two statements being different, in any way, shape or form, indicate that either statement is wrong?
Samadhi23
NewtonsFlamingLaserSword

This is neither how causality nor logic works. If this is not clear, please examine the case of the following analogy.

If I say "Red is a word describing a color" - then play the telephone game until the end result is "Radish and turds are scribed on the floor" - what part of the corresponding gibberish exactly invalidates the primary statement? In what way do the two statements being different, in any way, shape or form, indicate that either statement is wrong?
The primary statement is actually proven true and thus this is not an adequate example. Just like some forms of prayer are healthy, does not mean every religion with that prayer is correct with unrelated claims.

But the thing is I meant the totality of their works is ever changing thus changing the context of the individual works, as they change add and subtract some its entirety is entirely foreign after so many years. A divine eternal truth wouldn't change so frequently.
Then said religion would need to update.

I believe that Christianity needs to update a Bible or added a newest testament or something.

Shameless Mystic

One doesn't need to be entirely correct for its logical negation to be wrong as well. Just because a few things might be screwy doesn't mean there aren't important things to be learned.
NewtonsFlamingLaserSword
Samadhi23
NewtonsFlamingLaserSword

The primary statement is actually proven true and thus this is not an adequate example.

If you are unable to see the point from that example, then please replace with this example.

Initial phrase "Alex Henshaw has blond hair." Final phrase "Isaac and Shawn has blown there."

Alex Henshaw, in the initial phrase, is entirely made up - so there is no presupposition of truth there. However, there is still absolutely no way to establish truth of that statement by the secondary statement. Point still stands; this is not a valid method of testing falsity.

NewtonsFlamingLaserSword
Just like some forms of prayer are healthy, does not mean every religion with that prayer is correct with unrelated claims.

Of course not.

NewtonsFlamingLaserSword
But the thing is I meant the totality of their works is ever changing thus changing the context of the individual works, as they change add and subtract some its entirety is entirely foreign after so many years. A divine eternal truth wouldn't change so frequently.

Why do you assume that a divine truth must be eternal/unchanging? How do you reconcile that point of view with the fact that most religions teach the opposite? What would you even consider an example of a divine truth that is subject to the type of alterations you are describing?

If this is the first time you realized that you were unconsciously assuming this to be an aspect of religion, do you still hold to such a concept now? Why or why not?
Aporeia
One doesn't need to be entirely correct for its logical negation to be wrong as well. Just because a few things might be screwy doesn't mean there aren't important things to be learned.
'A few things might be screwy'
http://www.openbible.info/labs/word-locator/
kill=419 results
love= 796 results
death= 498
stone=372
sin=1,363
happy=11
sad=46
torture=1
lies=125
truth=151
ravage=8
peace=393
war=431
battle=186
misery=7
suffer=125
joy=214
teach=289
neglect=15
ignore=8
learn=83
forget=65
hate=178
sacrifice=309
tax=48
slave=157
free=160
freedom=10

'A few things might be screwy' Learn what? What can it teach me nothing else can? Its a waste of time unless I'm interested in that mythology specifically.

Besides with the pattern of abstinence teaching and dare programs failing to do as designed, I would argue the bible inspires violence from educating us on it.
Samadhi23
NewtonsFlamingLaserSword
Samadhi23
NewtonsFlamingLaserSword

The primary statement is actually proven true and thus this is not an adequate example.

If you are unable to see the point from that example, then please replace with this example.

Initial phrase "Alex Henshaw has blond hair." Final phrase "Isaac and Shawn has blown there."

Alex Henshaw, in the initial phrase, is entirely made up - so there is no presupposition of truth there. However, there is still absolutely no way to establish truth of that statement by the secondary statement. Point still stands; this is not a valid method of testing falsity.

NewtonsFlamingLaserSword
Just like some forms of prayer are healthy, does not mean every religion with that prayer is correct with unrelated claims.

Of course not.

NewtonsFlamingLaserSword

Why do you assume that a divine truth must be eternal/unchanging? How do you reconcile that point of view with the fact that most religions teach the opposite? What would you even consider an example of a divine truth that is subject to the type of alterations you are describing?

If this is the first time you realized that you were unconsciously assuming this to be an aspect of religion, do you still hold to such a concept now? Why or why not?

Except it is a valid test because again its going to change the context of the original 'unflawed' teaching as far back as they say its unflawed. Before that, sure, it could be like teaching stories culturally passed down. But I was saying mostly for the claim that its unflawed, or consistent, or the unchanging eternal truth etc.

I suppose an eternally consistent god could change its argument to suit the times xp thus change would occur. But thats assuming changes didn't occur to their claims of history, only was added to. Itd only be the case really if their arguments change over time but if the history is inconsistent well, I suppose they flavored history to their perspective? Is that fine to do? I guess others were doing it to. But then this entire point assumes too much and I likely won't remember it next time we argue unless I reread this mound of text.

I suppose flavoring history was in their benefit and why not take advantage of it like most cultures would try to do. But the problem is when people claim its factually sound today when its obviously not the case.

Shameless Mystic

NewtonsFlamingLaserSword
Aporeia
kill=419 results
love= 796 results
death= 498
stone=372
sin=1,363
happy=11
sad=46
torture=1
lies=125
truth=151
ravage=8
peace=393
war=431
battle=186
misery=7
suffer=125
joy=214
teach=289
neglect=15
ignore=8
learn=83
forget=65
hate=178
sacrifice=309
tax=48
slave=157
free=160
freedom=10

'A few things might be screwy' Learn what? What can it teach me nothing else can? Its a waste of time unless I'm interested in that mythology specifically.

Besides with the pattern of abstinence teaching and dare programs failing to do as designed, I would argue the bible inspires violence from educating us on it.
Aaaaaand why would any of these word counts be relevant? Words without context are nigh meaningless.

As for what you can learn, you will learn nothing. Your bias hides with all of the subtlety of a baboon. It has a lot to teach and you're either incapable or unwilling to see any of it.
Aporeia
NewtonsFlamingLaserSword
Aporeia
kill=419 results
love= 796 results
death= 498
stone=372
sin=1,363
happy=11
sad=46
torture=1
lies=125
truth=151
ravage=8
peace=393
war=431
battle=186
misery=7
suffer=125
joy=214
teach=289
neglect=15
ignore=8
learn=83
forget=65
hate=178
sacrifice=309
tax=48
slave=157
free=160
freedom=10

Aaaaaand why would any of these word counts be relevant? Words without context are nigh meaningless.

As for what you can learn, you will learn nothing. Your bias hides with all of the subtlety of a baboon. It has a lot to teach and you're either incapable or unwilling to see any of it.
No.
Everything besides history/mythology specifically can be learned in other ways from it. Try again, and yeah, just was curious and so I posted the efforts of my curiosity. It wasn't an aid to an argument I was making.

Shameless Mystic

NewtonsFlamingLaserSword
Aporeia
NewtonsFlamingLaserSword
Aporeia
kill=419 results
love= 796 results
death= 498
stone=372
sin=1,363
happy=11
sad=46
torture=1
lies=125
truth=151
ravage=8
peace=393
war=431
battle=186
misery=7
suffer=125
joy=214
teach=289
neglect=15
ignore=8
learn=83
forget=65
hate=178
sacrifice=309
tax=48
slave=157
free=160
freedom=10

No.
Everything besides history/mythology specifically can be learned in other ways from it. Try again, and yeah, just was curious and so I posted the efforts of my curiosity. It wasn't an aid to an argument I was making.
That is neither a quantifiable, nor objective argument.
Aporeia
NewtonsFlamingLaserSword
Aporeia
NewtonsFlamingLaserSword
Aporeia
kill=419 results
love= 796 results
death= 498
stone=372
sin=1,363
happy=11
sad=46
torture=1
lies=125
truth=151
ravage=8
peace=393
war=431
battle=186
misery=7
suffer=125
joy=214
teach=289
neglect=15
ignore=8
learn=83
forget=65
hate=178
sacrifice=309
tax=48
slave=157
free=160
freedom=10

No.
Its still stronger than your argument.

Shameless Mystic

NewtonsFlamingLaserSword
Aporeia
NewtonsFlamingLaserSword
Aporeia
NewtonsFlamingLaserSword
Aporeia
kill=419 results
love= 796 results
death= 498
stone=372
sin=1,363
happy=11
sad=46
torture=1
lies=125
truth=151
ravage=8
peace=393
war=431
battle=186
misery=7
suffer=125
joy=214
teach=289
neglect=15
ignore=8
learn=83
forget=65
hate=178
sacrifice=309
tax=48
slave=157
free=160
freedom=10

No.
Its still stronger than your argument.
My argument is that you are so biased you would not see wisdom if it was staring you in the face. I do not even have to exhibit evidence towards this claim... you have already done that for me.

So, no; your argument is not superior. You supply evidence of your incompetence within your own pretexts. There are few arguments as weak as a self-defeating one.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff