Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Hunter

Quote:
As Star Trek fans mourn the death of beloved actor and ‘geek grandfather’ Leonard Nimoy, another group is expressing a different stance. The Westboro Baptist Church hinted Friday at plans to picket Nimoy’s funeral, using a variety of slurs too offensive to be repeated here.

Leonard Nimoy passed away Friday, February 27, 2015, after a long struggle with COPD. Co-stars and fans tweeted their regards, Nimoy’s granddaughter shared information about the funeral on his Twitter timeline, and, in general, a great and beloved man was mourned.

More than an actor, in early 2014, Leonard Nimoy became an ‘honorary grandfather’ to many of his followers and fans.

Unfortunately, Nimoy’s high level of fame and his large and loyal following made him an ideal target for the Westboro Baptist Church, a group that pickets funerals of soldiers and anyone with a high profile. The Westboro Baptist Church associated their picket threat with other Star Trek stars, and the things about those stars that the group opposes: George Takei and Zachary Quinto, who are openly gay (the WBC’s favorite conversation piece), and William Shatner, who the Westboro Baptist Church claims “hates God.”

However, because of his high profile, it’s quite possible that Nimoy would have been a Westboro target anyway — the church shows an affinity for events that will gain a lot of attention.

Tweeting about the star’s death and funeral, several Westboro Baptist Church accounts announced their intentions.

It’s worth noting that the Westboro group doesn’t always show up when they threaten, and, perhaps more encouraging, that when they do show up, there are frequently counter-protesters, who hold up their own signs, or even block access so that the group can’t get close enough to the event to cause extra pain to the family. According to the Huffington Post, a motorcycle group even watched for WBC members and worked to keep them away from services for Newtown, Connecticut victims.

Bearing in mind the passion of Leonard Nimoy fans, it seems likely that, if there is a public service and the protesters do show up, they’ll be efficiently kept away from the mourners. At this point, however, no public services for Leonard Nimoy have been announced, and his family may elect to keep their own service private, in order to keep the Westboro Baptist Church, and anyone else who might invade their mourning space, out.

Article Link.

These guys seriously need to just be stopped already. emotion_facepalm

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

=-=; ********....

~tired of these idiots~

Hilarious Puppy

Ahhh... the Westboro Baptist Church! Now that brings some good memories to mind! You don't truly live until the day you piss them off. I remember when the Foo Fighters played there. And Marilyn Mansion. They were saying he was the devil and after the show he went to them and personally thanked them. Something like, "Thanks for discrediting me and calling me a Satanist. That caused over (something something) hundred thousand people to come see my show." Basically they made him famous.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I'd almost like to see this happen.
Something sort of warms my heart about the thought WBC enraging a few million obsessed Star Trek fans.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
This story doesn’t surprise me, they’re a bunch of horrible people who only wish to spread their hate to others and get attention for themselves.

As usual, hopefully counter protesters show up and drive them away.

Kawaii Shoujo

It's disgusting that said hate group will show up and picket one of the greatest actors in the world's funeral just because they want to preach about how they hope that Spock will be heading to hell. If anything those Westboro Baptist Church children/teenagers should all be taken away, undo the brainwashing( since Westboro basically does brainwash their kids, and have the Westboro adults locked up until the end of their days.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
How about we send the WBC to ISIS? Show them worse attentions whores.
Ember F Strife
Ahhh... the Westboro Baptist Church! Now that brings some good memories to mind! You don't truly live until the day you piss them off. I remember when the Foo Fighters played there. And Marilyn Mansion. They were saying he was the devil and after the show he went to them and personally thanked them. Something like, "Thanks for discrediting me and calling me a Satanist. That caused over (something something) hundred thousand people to come see my show." Basically they made him famous.

lol, that seems like something he'd do.

Wheezing Smoker

14,800 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
Blood Valkyrie
How about we send the WBC to ISIS? Show them worse attentions whores.

I second this

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
I think they missed his funeral. By the time this came out, the funeral was underway, I believe. Nimoy was Jewish, and was buried in accordance to Jewish tradition. I don't think the WBC got there in time to do anything.

Wily Leaf

16,875 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Informer 100
  • Conversationalist 100
They're brave. I wouldn't want to earn that much Trekkie ire.

Wintry Dragon

Set phasers to charbroil.

Hilarious Puppy

The Peppermint Bunny
Ember F Strife

Correction. It's something he DID do. Because after that, I immediately went against my Dad's wishes and bought one of his records. It was alright. Honestly, my Dad liked it better than I did. So that kinda ruined the buzz for me. sweatdrop
Ember F Strife
The Peppermint Bunny
Ember F Strife

Correction. It's something he DID do. Because after that, I immediately went against my Dad's wishes and bought one of his records. It was alright. Honestly, my Dad liked it better than I did. So that kinda ruined the buzz for me. sweatdrop

His earlier stuff from the 90's is a lot better than what he puts out, in my opinion. There's some things he does and says that I don't agree with too, but every once in a while he does something cool like this.

Hilarious Puppy

The Peppermint Bunny
Ember F Strife
The Peppermint Bunny
Ember F Strife

His earlier stuff from the 90's is a lot better than what he puts out, in my opinion. There's some things he does and says that I don't agree with too, but every once in a while he does something cool like this.

I loved his early music. And sure, he's pissed off the wrong people, but Manson is the nicest ******** guy I've seen considering his music and... ugh, appearance. Keep in mind that the WBC protest was back in the early 2000's if I recall. So back then, without good Internet, it was freaking awesome to see on TV.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff