Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've been debating recently whether or not to get the "New" 3DS. Collectors seem to like it, but I don't know if I'm convinced. Better processor, better graphics (maybe?), extra buttons, and exclusive games.

What's your opinion on it? Right now I'm pretty content with my original 3DS.

Menacing Smoker

If you already have an original 3DS, then it's not worth upgrading right now unless you really want Xenoblade, which is the ONLY confirmed N3DS exclusive at the moment.

Indulgent Demigod

Right now you're pretty much just upgrading to a device that has faster loading speeds and stable 3D. All that extra power does nothing for current 3DS games unless they release a patch or something because as of now games with bad low FPS on the original 3DS still have low FPS on the N3DS. Good news is there will be an exclusive released in a month (I don't even know why they released a device with no exclusives at launch.)

You're better off waiting though. I'm sure there'll be plenty of exclusives in due time thanks to the devices current success.

Tipsy Prophet

If you already have a 3DS and are satisfied with it, no need to upgrade :]

I personally upgraded from my 3DSXL because I couldn't stand how slow the loading screens were in some games >_< and the e-shop is just sooo slow. It's worth it to mention that my 3DS is my main console and I carry it with me EVERYWHERE I go. So for me, it was a worthy upgrade since I also don't drop money on the big consoles. I love the hell outta my 3DS LL emotion_kirakira

Also, you will have the option to follow the Amiibo craze if you don't have a Wii-U xD

yaamsu's Husbando

Borg

Its all around better with exception of one thing, the game cartridge location.
Its now more prone to accidentally ejecting your game than ever.

In a relationship with every woman

Diamond Dog

14,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Megathread 100
If you have a regular 3DS and do or do not play it, it's not worth getting unless you want to switch from regular to XL or vice versa.

Festive Noob

Not worth it, at least right now
but if you care about exclusives just sell your old 3DS for the new one

Thankful Citizen

8,850 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Battle: Mage 100
I upgraded from my Link Between Worlds 3DS XL (made sure not to sell it of course) i kept getting frustrated with how long it took to load things, I am very happy with the New 3DS XL, i'm actually mostly impressed at how nice the 3D is now that it isn't a broken piece of s**t feature
Sounds like I should probably just hold off on buying it. Maybe wait until some cool exclusives come out. The loading speed is tempting, but just not enough to make me shell out the money for it.

Manly Sex Symbol

13,650 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Megathread 100
IMO, if you already have a 3DS, no. If not, go for it.

Magical Businessman

I got one yesterday so here are my thoughts so far.

It's a nice upgrade, but it's not completely practical if you already have a regular 3DS (XL)/2DS. I can see it being amazing for those who desperately need a built-in Circle Pad Pro for games like Monster Hunter which require ******** of camera movement and don't want to use the D-pad to do so. I only got a N3DS because the Circle Pad on my old one was starting to go bad, probably because fifty hours of Smash Bros. on it messed it up badly (and I'm usually pretty gentle with analog sticks.) That, and the regular 3DS is actually getting kinda small for my hands.

I find it nice because the faster CPU and doubled RAM/VRAM means games load faster, the internet browser is actually almost as functional as the one on the Wii U (though, it still chugs on Gaia, but at least most of the graphics load,) and the same goes for Miiverse. buuuuut I can't use Miiverse because my main account is permabanned because of the super trigger-happy admins on there who will shoot you for dumbest reasons.

The only thing I absolutely HATE about it is the way the microSD card is accessed. I'm personally fine with the switch to regular SD's to the micro ones because they cost about the same, but I hate how you need to unscrew the back cover to gain access to it. I bought a 16GB microSD card for it, and I switched out the preloaded 4GB one and put in the 16GB one before I booted up the system for the first time, and I accidentally twisted the screws too tight when I put the cover back on. I actually expected the system transfer process to be incredibly easy, seeing as the tutorial video Nintendo made for using the "Transfer with a Computer" method made it seem as if anyone with basic computer knowledge could do it in like, five minutes, man was I wrong. When I needed to get the microSD card out to get the contents of my old 3DS'es SD card transferred in there, I stripped the crap out of the screws trying to get the back cover off, because I was stupid and decided to screw them back on tightly, so that was my fault on that part, had to use the world's smallest flathead to get them unscrewed.

And here's the part the scared me quite a bit. When I got my stuff transferred, it didn't pick up any of my downloaded games or anything. It wouldn't pick up my save file for Fantasy Life, because that game saved data to the SD card instead of using SRAM like most games. I thought I had just lost fifty hours on that game, and another fifty on Smash Bros. It may not seem like much, but Fantasy Life requires a lot of grinding, and unlocking a lot of stuff in Smash Bros. is a pain in the a**, especially on the 3DS version which feels kind of awkward to play on a handheld compared to a console. Luckily, I copied the folder from my old SD card instead of moving it. So I deleted the contents of the 'Nintendo 3DS' folder on my microSD card, and copied the contents of the same folder on my regular SD to there, and sure it enough, my New 3DS came to life with my Primal Groudon/Kyogre theme that I had set on my other 3DS, and everything like my Eshop games, and my Fantasy Life and Smash Bros. save data was all there on this new system. Needless to say, I was relived, and honestly, I should've done a wireless transfer to save myself a big headache back there.

I apologize for the long rant, but it frustrated me a lot more than I anticipated.

Also, the C-stick is a lot like that eraser head mouse pointer on the IBM ThinkPad laptops, so it may feel like the thing is stuck. I don't have a whole lot of games beside Smash Bros. that makes use of it, but I can tell it's gonna take a while to get used to. The screens are still at 240p, so everything is still gonna look like an Atari 2600 game to anyone who can't tolerate any resolution lower than 1080p. I can't comment on the improved 3D, because I lack a fully functional right eye to actually see any sort of 3D whatsoever.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff