Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey guys, not trying to troll here, straight up. There's this person in one of my classes this semester and I can't figure out their gender. Why does this matter? I am unsure how to refer to them as he or she. The teacher refers to them as he, but another classmate said she. This person has short hair, and dresses kinda like a dude. I thought they were female to male, but they have a hot pink laptop... So I'm confused. Also they have some feminine accessories. How do you find this out without being a d**k? Or do you just not?

I would also like to know for future reference what to do.
tea drinking hippie
I am coming out as a rhino. Many people are intolerant of my new found gender and it makes me really sad. I dont have to be a male just because it is my body, I hate all these people misgendering me, especially my parents. It makes me want to jump infornt of a semi. All that matters is how I feel. And I feel rhino. While you be kind enough to accept my gender as rhino?

I'm also going to cut off my d**k and put it on top of my head, it isnt body mutilation, i'm making myself beautiful to reflect how i feel. Can't believe people have a problem with getting surgery to feel comfortable in your own skin. especially when breast implants are okay.

I accept you as rhino.

Shaggy Fatcat

Dude.. just use they as a pronoun. it's not hard.

Adorable Fisher

You could politely ask them what they prefer. Embarrassing, but could be necessary if you want to know.

Demonic Lunatic

just ask them nicely. like "hey, so I was wondering what pronouns you prefer?"

Tipsy Fairy

Basically, it is just pronouns in the end.

Just ask their names and stuff, and then, age, sexuality (or gender) and bah-dah boom.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Skataforeva
Hey guys, not trying to troll here, straight up. There's this person in one of my classes this semester and I can't figure out their gender. Why does this matter? I am unsure how to refer to them as he or she. The teacher refers to them as he, but another classmate said she. This person has short hair, and dresses kinda like a dude. I thought they were female to male, but they have a hot pink laptop... So I'm confused. Also they have some feminine accessories. How do you find this out without being a d**k? Or do you just not?

I would also like to know for future reference what to do.

arrow Then ask them. 'Them' is also a valid pronoun.
arrow Why can't 'dudes' have hot pink laptop. I love hot pink things and I am a 'man'.
arrow 'Feminine' accessories do not indicate gender/sex. Gender =/= sex.
arrow If you want to know, ask them politely...introduce yourself. Don't just go "hey I'm confused by your gender." Because their gender isn't any of your business. They can be a man, woman, agender or bigender. Or whatever. Because gender simply is that fluid and biological sex is just as much of a continuum.

Invisible Lunatic

Just use gender neutral pronouns like 'they' or 'them' until you either know their name or what they prefer to go by.

Spoopy Kitten

Person sounds like me - but im not in school. I never cared about pronouns (im queer+genderless) and let anyone use whatever pronouns they felt comfortable with using towards me
Just ask them their pronouns: "I heard your friends refer to you as she but teachers say he - what pronouns do you go by?"

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
I'd probably find a more subtle way of discerning it.
If you ask them their name, there's a good chance the answer they give you will be a sufficient basis to judge which to use.
Maybe ask for their preferred pronouns?

Fashionable Powerhouse

Definitely ask about their pronouns. And being feminine/masculine isn't necessarily definitive of gender; gender and sex are two different things. And preferring to be called, for example, "he" when this person has a v****a does not necessarily mean they are trans. It could just be a matter of personal preference rather than desiring a personal change.

It's never rude to ask, but it is rude to assume.
Introduce yourself to them and make a neutral compliment torwards something they are wearing or carrying, for instance, if your a guy, say "I just love your pink laptop" but am too afraid to use one in public.

I'm sure they will respond to you in some fashion exposing their own gender in the way they respond. confused

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff