Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
A New York City cabbie's license has been suspended after surveillance video showed him pulling a pregnant passenger out of his vehicle and driving off.

CBS New York reports that passenger Leslie Cooper says she climbed into the cab in Manhattan last week, and the driver told her his credit card reader was broken. She offered to stop at an ATM near her Brooklyn home, and he told her to get out of the cab. It was cold, and she refused.

Surveillance video shows the driver pulling up to a curb, getting out and pulling Cooper from the car. She landed on the ground, and he drove off.

"I was just in shock — complete shock," Cooper told the station. "I was really worried about my baby."

Cooper said she filed a police report at the scene but had no visible physical injuries. The New York Police Department closed the case, the station reported.

Cooper went to the hospital to be checked out and was cleared to go home. She went into labor a few days later and delivered her baby five weeks early.

New York City's Taxi and Limousine Commission said Tuesday that the cabbie's license has been suspended.

Taxi

Wheezing Smoker

14,800 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
I wonder if the incident is partially to blame for her going into labor early a couple days later.
Don't be throwing pregnant ladies you jerk!

Ghostly Bum

"

suspended? it should be permanently removed.

"
And this folks is what happens when people get their etiquette lessons from ******** Grand Theft Auto.

Quotable Prophet

Sure, he was a jerk, but you can't just refuse to get out of a taxi, either. How was he supposed to respond?

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
I see nothing wrong with his actions. Not wanting to haul a penniless passenger a long way is completely understandable, and she should have left his cab when she was told to.

Wintry Dragon

I just hope the baby is fine.

Ember Caster's Kouhai

Death Surgeon

48,850 Points
  • Academic Hero 500
  • Ultimate Alliance 500
  • Stone World 500
Ratttking
I see nothing wrong with his actions. Not wanting to haul a penniless passenger a long way is completely understandable, and she should have left his cab when she was told to.
yes, his actions where wrong. He could of called the police and had them come deal with her. Tossing a Very pregnant woman onto the ground is dead wrong!

Feral Raider

I don't know why he didn't talk to his dispatcher and have another cab pick her up if he was unable to accept credit cards. The lady might have been more willing to get out of the taxi knowing that she had a ride and she wasn't going to be trying to get a taxi. Although i find it a little odd she didn't have some money on her to give him as a sign she wasn't going to just ride and run. Or if she was being rude about leaving, call the cops , but no that is cutting out on time he could get paying customers. Maybe he should take anger management classes too.

Adorable Fisher

What the ******** was wrong with taking the lady to the atm, especially if its a car pull up one? I do it all the time when I've only got my credit card. Heck, it would have made his meter go up even more and made the ride even more expensive translating to money in his pocket.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
MarigoldMari
What the ******** was wrong with taking the lady to the atm, especially if its a car pull up one? I do it all the time when I've only got my credit card. Heck, it would have made his meter go up even more and made the ride even more expensive translating to money in his pocket.
Because the ATM she wanted to use was in Brooklyn, which is a long drive from Manhattan, and apparently close to her home which would have made it much easier for her to run off without paying. Why didn't she ask to go to the closest ATM to their present location?

Adorable Fisher

Ratttking
MarigoldMari
Because the ATM she wanted to use was in Brooklyn, which is a long drive from Manhattan, and apparently close to her home which would have made it much easier for her to run off without paying. Why didn't she ask to go to the closest ATM to their present location?
Maybe that's the bank she knows, maybe it has a drive up window, who knows really? But you're right it could have been easier for her to run that way, but let's keep in mind that she was also apparently hugely pregnant so could she have done a runner anyway?

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
MarigoldMari
Ratttking
MarigoldMari
Maybe that's the bank she knows, maybe it has a drive up window, who knows really? But you're right it could have been easier for her to run that way, but let's keep in mind that she was also apparently hugely pregnant so could she have done a runner anyway?
Point I was making is that there was probably an ATM close to where he picked her up, and getting the cash from it would have been a much better show of faith that she intended to pay. 'Run' was figurative, and yes, it is more than possible for her to get away without paying even while pregnant. There's an ATM in an office building near me that requires you to use your card to open the door, but you need not leave the same way you went in, there are other exits half a block down - it's a large building.

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
Nobody Famous
Sure, he was a jerk, but you can't just refuse to get out of a taxi, either. How was he supposed to respond?
I agree with the you cannot just refuse to get out of the taxi without being asked, but for a man to pull a pregnant woman out that was the wrong way of that. He could have told her if she did not get out of the taxi he would call the police, or refused to move at all. Just stood there. Or better yet since it was like cold and she was pregnant had her sit in the seat until he called another taxi that had a working meter. I am not saying the woman was right.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff