Welcome to Gaia! ::

anonymous attributes
IN the holy spirit which you do not have or know, changes the person, the person does not change the word. The word is the faith, the faith is the truth.

The Holy Spirit is not the faith; within your perspective, this is what I meant by "the source of the revelation is not a doctrine." Now, you can say that the Holy Spirit transforms the soul, with an effect similar to brainwashing - and that without this, the person cannot choose to believe...

...in other words, "the people do not decide the faith"...

...but then you are reducing Christianity to a mystery cult, one that cannot be adhered to without special revelation. Come to think of it, are you Gnostic by any chance?
Sandokiri
anonymous attributes
IN the holy spirit which you do not have or know, changes the person, the person does not change the word. The word is the faith, the faith is the truth.

The Holy Spirit is not the faith; within your perspective, this is what I meant by "the source of the revelation is not a doctrine." Now, you can say that the Holy Spirit transforms the soul, with an effect similar to brainwashing - and that without this, the person cannot choose to believe...

...in other words, "the people do not decide the faith"...

...but then you are reducing Christianity to a mystery cult, one that cannot be adhered to without special revelation. Come to think of it, are you Gnostic by any chance?

When I spoke of "the faith" I thought you understood, you made it sound like you did last time. I am not actually talking about actual FAITH. the phrase "The faith" is another way of saying "The way" which is given by the Holy Spirit and Christ.

You do not have the Holy Spirit, you cannot therefor speak on its matter, although you would like to, you do not know that you speak out of ignorance. Who intrusts anyone to a work if they believe not in the fruit thereof?

You have created a straw man argument.

I am not gnostic. I am a disciple of Christ Jesus, and a son of God, and it is neither a cult. No one can enter into the kingdom of God unless they are born again. No bird can fly until it first grows wings, that does not make the knowledge of every other bird a cult because they see different things than those still in the nest.
anonymous attributes
When I spoke of "the faith" I thought you understood, you made it sound like you did last time. I am not actually talking about actual FAITH. the phrase "The faith" is another way of saying "The way" which is given by the Holy Spirit and Christ.

Choose to believe, choose to adhere, same semantic distinction as faith and doctrine; you don't get to criticise people for not understanding how you are using words, while also criticising people for the words they are using.

That said, once again, the Holy Spirit gives the revelation; the doctrine is how that revelation is interpreted by man. This can be readily proven by how many different denominations of Christianity there are; each claims the revelation of the Spirit, yet they do not agree on doctrines derived from it.

Just consider the Eucharist, for one example.

As the question of whose doctrines are actually The Faith, only its Source knows for sure. But it is clear that they are interpreted by man, codified by man, and to any non-omniscient observer decided by people.

Quote:
You do not have the Holy Spirit,

Nor do you, that you should regard yourself as an arbiter of who does or does not. Your testimony is one that drives seekers away from The Faith, one that tells them that yours is a path on which no steps can be taken at all without a specific act of divine intervention.

Quote:

Not at all.

Quote:
I am not gnostic. I am a disciple of Christ Jesus, and a son of God, and it is neither a cult. No one can enter into the kingdom of God unless they are born again.

Sadly enough, even that concept is subject to disagreement among the various denominations. They agree that some sort of born-again needs to happen, but disagree that the others properly understand what it means. There are at least three general schools of thought:

-That the rebirth is the consequence of sacrament (eg, Catholics and Lutherans); the new life must be sustained by continued faith(fulness.)

-That the rebirth is the consequence of faith (trust) (eg, Methodists and other evangelicals.) This view is generally rooted in Romans 10.

-That the rebirth is the consequence of divine fiat alone (eg, Calvinists and others in the Reform movement.) These tend toward belief in predestination based on Romans 9.

-----

You seem to be of the last view; but again, if someone cannot believe (that is, become an adherent of the Faith) without a special initiation by the Holy Spirit, then it's not much different from a mystery cult.
Sandokiri
anonymous attributes

Choose to believe, choose to adhere, same semantic distinction as faith and doctrine; you don't get to criticise people for not understanding how you are using words, while also criticising people for the words they are using.

That said, once again, the Holy Spirit gives the revelation; the doctrine is how that revelation is interpreted by man. This can be readily proven by how many different denominations of Christianity there are; each claims the revelation of the Spirit, yet they do not agree on doctrines derived from it.

Just consider the Eucharist, for one example.

As the question of whose doctrines are actually The Faith, only its Source knows for sure. But it is clear that they are interpreted by man, codified by man, and to any non-omniscient observer decided by people.

Quote:
You do not have the Holy Spirit,

Nor do you, that you should regard yourself as an arbiter of who does or does not. Your testimony is one that drives seekers away from The Faith, one that tells them that yours is a path on which no steps can be taken at all without a specific act of divine intervention.

Quote:

Not at all.

Quote:
I am not gnostic. I am a disciple of Christ Jesus, and a son of God, and it is neither a cult. No one can enter into the kingdom of God unless they are born again.

Sadly enough, even that concept is subject to disagreement among the various denominations. They agree that some sort of born-again needs to happen, but disagree that the others properly understand what it means. There are at least three general schools of thought:

-That the rebirth is the consequence of sacrament (eg, Catholics and Lutherans); the new life must be sustained by continued faith(fulness.)

-That the rebirth is the consequence of faith (trust) (eg, Methodists and other evangelicals.) This view is generally rooted in Romans 10.

-That the rebirth is the consequence of divine fiat alone (eg, Calvinists and others in the Reform movement.) These tend toward belief in predestination based on Romans 9.

-----

You seem to be of the last view; but again, if someone cannot believe (that is, become an adherent of the Faith) without a special initiation by the Holy Spirit, then it's not much different from a mystery cult.

No. The Holy Spirit is what reveals, interprets, and leads. Without the Spirit, the Word is broken to him who tries to read and understand it.

1 Corinthians 2:8-16 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

__
the doctrine is how that revelation is interpreted by man. This can be readily proven by how many different denominations of Christianity there are; each claims the revelation of the Spirit, yet they do not agree on doctrines derived from it.

It is true, the spirit of man does make interpretations, such as yourself.The spirit of man will always make interpretations, but that does not mean they are right, in fact if we know it is by the spirit of man, we know it is the spirit of error, such as yourself.

However, the Spirit of Christ is unity of all things godly, not disunity or division. Someone here is right, and someone is wrong. The reason for this is because some use the word without the Holy Spirit, for gain. Others are still growing in the Spirit, and so their understanding is incomplete, while others may have a more growth.

There were three children all born on the same day, as they grew some bit into teenagers, one ate nothing but white rice and white bread. Another eats whole wheat rice and white bread, while the third eats whole wheat rice, whole wheat bread and vegetables. The one that ate all white says to the one taller than him who was in the middle, "How did you get so tall, while I do not grow at all?" The one that eats whole wheat(AKA brown) rice and white bread says to him "I eat whole wheat rice, I am not as unhealthy as you, you are stunted, you have no food." After he explained that to him he went to the third and said "Look, you are taller then me, and work all day, you are also very strong, how?" He says to him, "I eat whole wheat rice and whole wheat bread and I eat my vegetables. If you had been more keen to all the food that you consume you would be as I am if not more. But because you do not, you ask me this."

Now you say, look, they all claim Christianity, yet not all are the same, but those ones that eat all their proper food and get all their proper growth can and will answer the two others. But the middle one can only answer the one person, the one who is less keen than himself, and the one that ate nothing good can can do nothing but complain, and speak out of ignorance.

Who intrusts anyone to a work if they belief not in the fruit thereof?

Nor do you (have the holy spirit), that you should regard yourself as an arbiter of who does or does not. Your testimony is one that drives seekers away from The Faith, one that tells them that yours is a path on which no steps can be taken at all without a specific act of divine intervention.

Why do you make a straw man saying I am deciding who has the ghost or not when you already told me, "Nor do you" which is an admittance that you do not, which I do not need, since you argued that it didn't exists in previous discussions. Why are you being dishonest?

1 Corinthians 2:13-14 (We just read this) 13 "Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

I am neither an arbiter nor a gate keeper, but because you do not know the word of God, you do not know that I do not make these judgments, the word already has. If you had known that you would not have said this, but because you do not know that, you say it.

You are the first who eats no good food, You cannot tell what is the doctrine and what is not, that is why you make an argument on other peoples confusion. If this were not so, you would keep it shut until you understood. If you had studied with the guidance of the Spirit and with continual prayer you might understand that people make doctrine on limited scripture. But "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation."

Lastly, difference in understanding does not change the fact of the matter of the OP. Its a straw man since interpretation has nothing to do whether it is fact of fiction, and that is what you ended up attempting to knock down.

anonymous attributes
No. The Holy Spirit is what reveals, interprets, and leads. Without the Spirit, the Word is broken to him who tries to read and understand it.

What you believe is a mystery cult, then; because you are asserting that your book is written in a secret language that resembles English, but is incomprehensible without knowing a secret code only known to insiders. The secret code, in your case, is the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
It is true, the spirit of man does make interpretations, such as yourself.The spirit of man will always make interpretations, but that does not mean they are right, in fact if we know it is by the spirit of man, we know it is the spirit of error, such as yourself.

However, the Spirit of Christ is unity of all things godly, not disunity or division.

"Think not that I have come to send peace on earth: I came not to bring peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household." - Jesus, ca. 30 CE, according to Matthew 10.

Jesus described himself as an agent of division, of disunity - someone whose call to follow him would destroy families with internal strife.

----

Also, what you believe is by the spirit of man. Specifically, it's the spirit of the man Paul of Tarsus, who after being knocked off of his a** and onto his a** by the Flash-O-Light and Booming Voice in Acts 9, eventually decided that his supernatural revelation uniquely qualified him to set the doctrine of his revelation (that which he called his gospel several times) above even that of those who watched Jesus feed Legions of hungry groupies, chill with Moses and Elijah, be dead and then alive, and ultimately exit stage up.

Yes, his "superlative apostles" and "circumcision party" that he was ranting against... they were the Twelve.

Quote:
Someone here is right, and someone is wrong.

Or it could be:

No one is right, and the right answer has been forever lost to time;
No one is right, but someone was, and the right answer may be rediscovered;
No one is right, and the right answer has yet to be found.

Quote:
Now you say, look, they all claim Christianity, yet not all are the same

And each of them thinks that only his bowl has veggies, while the others only have white rice and the delusion that the rice is brown.

Quote:
Why do you make a straw man saying I am deciding who has the ghost or not when you already told me, "Nor do you" which is an admittance that you do not, which I do not need, since you argued that it didn't exists in previous discussions. Why are you being dishonest?

I'm not being dishonest, nor doing anything with strawmen. You can accuse me of tu quoque if you'd like - I'll cop to that freely; however, here is the problem. I don't believe that the notion of the Holy Spirit as you hold it exists. Thus, it's neither inconsistent nor dishonest for me to say that you don't have it.

Even within your worldview, it is not reserved for you to judge, nor to pronounce judgement. You can say you're being an imitator of Paul, as he of Christ, of course; but God alone is the judge of all things, especially in matters related to Its gifts and plans toward each and every person. So that's not a strawman either. The Jesus of the gospels did not apportion to you the right to judge (lest ye be judged,) nor to ignore your own blindness to rub someone else's eyes - the same Jesus you say you preach.

I can see where you are trying to say there's a strawman though. I'm not sure if I can even describe it in a way that you won't dismiss out of hand, but it won't stop me from trying.

Within your worldview, you hold this doublet of beliefs:
"People do not decide (choose) the Faith; the Faith decides (chooses) the people." That is, that according to you, someone can't even attempt to seek God without first receiving a special gift from the Holy Spirit. Within your worldview, you are convinced that you can't be wrong, and that other people would become right if and only if they had the Holy Spirit as you believe you do.

But here's the thing. The prodigal son didn't get a call from his father on his Hagiophone, telling him to come home. He did that on his own; he considered the alternative (the far country,) decided (determined) that the far country was actually kinda shitty compared to home, and decided to go home. He decided (chose) the Faith.

And no. The truth doesn't speak Süörejene, that it should need an interpreter.
Sandokiri
anonymous attributes

What you believe is a mystery cult, then; because you are asserting that your book is written in a secret language that resembles English, but is incomprehensible without knowing a secret code only known to insiders. The secret code, in your case, is the Holy Spirit.

Quote:

However, the Spirit of Christ is unity of all things godly, not disunity or division.

"Think not that I have come to send peace on earth: I came not to bring peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household." - Jesus, ca. 30 CE, according to Matthew 10.

Jesus described himself as an agent of division, of disunity - someone whose call to follow him would destroy families with internal strife.

----

Also, what you believe is by the spirit of man. Specifically, it's the spirit of the man Paul of Tarsus, who after being knocked off of his a** and onto his a** by the Flash-O-Light and Booming Voice in Acts 9, eventually decided that his supernatural revelation uniquely qualified him to set the doctrine of his revelation (that which he called his gospel several times) above even that of those who watched Jesus feed Legions of hungry groupies, chill with Moses and Elijah, be dead and then alive, and ultimately exit stage up.

Yes, his "superlative apostles" and "circumcision party" that he was ranting against... they were the Twelve.

Quote:
Someone here is right, and someone is wrong.

Or it could be:

No one is right, and the right answer has been forever lost to time;
No one is right, but someone was, and the right answer may be rediscovered;
No one is right, and the right answer has yet to be found.

Quote:
Now you say, look, they all claim Christianity, yet not all are the same

And each of them thinks that only his bowl has veggies, while the others only have white rice and the delusion that the rice is brown.

Quote:

I'm not being dishonest, nor doing anything with strawmen. You can accuse me of tu quoque if you'd like - I'll cop to that freely; however, here is the problem. I don't believe that the notion of the Holy Spirit as you hold it exists. Thus, it's neither inconsistent nor dishonest for me to say that you don't have it.

Even within your worldview, it is not reserved for you to judge, nor to pronounce judgement. You can say you're being an imitator of Paul, as he of Christ, of course; but God alone is the judge of all things, especially in matters related to Its gifts and plans toward each and every person. So that's not a strawman either. The Jesus of the gospels did not apportion to you the right to judge (lest ye be judged,) nor to ignore your own blindness to rub someone else's eyes - the same Jesus you say you preach.

I can see where you are trying to say there's a strawman though. I'm not sure if I can even describe it in a way that you won't dismiss out of hand, but it won't stop me from trying.

"People do not decide (choose) the Faith; the Faith decides (chooses) the people." That is, that according to you, someone can't even attempt to seek God without first receiving a special gift from the Holy Spirit. Within your worldview, you are convinced that you can't be wrong, and that other people would become right if and only if they had the Holy Spirit as you believe you do.

But here's the thing. The prodigal son didn't get a call from his father on his Hagiophone, telling him to come home. He did that on his own; he considered the alternative (the far country,) decided (determined) that the far country was actually kinda shitty compared to home, and decided to go home. He decided (chose) the Faith.

And no. The truth doesn't speak Süörejene, that it should need an interpreter.

Straw man, or is it red herring, maybe its both I can't tell--& What you believe is a mystery cult, then; because you are asserting that your book is written in a secret language that resembles English, but is incomprehensible without knowing a secret code only known to insiders. The secret code, in your case, is the Holy Spirit.

I said none of that, I did not assert there was any kind of "secretive language resembles English." You did, you put words in my mouth. You're really going down hill with this Miss. There is a difference between spirituality and non spirituality, but you would no doubt be dishonest about that and accuse me of saying its a secret language and something about mystery.

I did not say that Christ does not make a distinction and certainly a division and separation from the world but now your argument would assume my stance is that Christ expects no division of the world. I never said that. Why, was that my stance or argument? Your argument is sloppy and smells dishonest. Its a straw man. More elementary mistakes. I said the Holy Spirit is Unity of "all things Godly." there is absolutely no doubt at all that Christ calls us out of the world for we are not of the world. Why did you change the argument? -face-palm-

Jesus said, John 15:19 "If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you."

Jesus does not describe himself an agent of division, but of unity to God, and that cannot be done properly if one is united with the world and its sin and ways. You speak out of ignorance to the scriptures.

No that was not the context, that is more dishonesty on your part. You explicitly said that the holy spirit is brainwashing, that seems to be to say that its false. Miss Sandokiri, I will not play games with you, and I will not continue this path of dishonesty of yours with you in order for you to save face and "win" an argument by childish means. And you cannot argue the holy spirit if you do not believe on the LORD JESUS CHRIST, PERIOD. John 14:6 "6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." You can argue and wiggle all you want but it does not change the fact.

Within my worldview? you can't get the first line right and now "Within your worldview." I wont argue on those words, they are misleading. But what does the scripture say? rhetorical question. That will not continue here since it is off topic. But if you would like, I have no problem speaking on the matter of judgment in another thread or PM. Do not assume you understand what I know or believe, especially if you already say I am hard to understand and don't listen when I tell you things. Its a very elementary mistake of yours to quote only a portion and without light of other scripture. But I do not ask you for what the scripture teaches. WHO INTRUST ANYONE WITH A WORK IF THEY BELIEVE NOT IN TH FRUIT THEREOF? If you are not a believer, you have 0 authority on the meaning of scripture. Now I said, "authority"

"People do not decide (choose) the Faith; the Faith decides (chooses) the people."

Of course that is a straw man. I in no way said that, and you know that since I told you before. The saying has absolutely nothing to do with choosing anything or being chosen. If it were so hard to understand and you were interested in honest conversation, you would not continue the same mistake after I told you otherwise what I meant. Instead you are "choosing" for me what I mean, and you choose to insert new words. You are lying to yourself at this point to win an argument. Yes, it is without a doubt a straw man

Within your worldview, you are convinced that you can't be wrong

More dishonest argumentation, throwing words in my mouth. I never once said I am all knowing, because I am not, and I never said I was infallible, because I am not, however the holy spirit is truth and cannot sin. that was never claimed. This is a straw man.

Again, I never at one time said that you cannot choose to believe in God.

Your replies are getting worse and worse, with more assumptions arrogance, dishonesty, fallacy arguments, and cursing If it continues, you will be blocked. The ONLY reason you arent already is because we are in the middle of something. Do not play games with me.
anonymous attributes
]I said none of that, I did not assert there was any kind of "secretive language resembles English."

Paraphrasing. You are making the claim that the actual meaning of scripture is incomprehensible to those who don't have the Holy Spirit. And there is no functional difference between the separation of spiritual and natural discernment, and Thieves Cant or similar secret languages. The words are English, but outsiders can't understand what's really being said.

Where the comparison to mystery cults comes in is this: because of this distinction, you say that the natural cannot know the true reality of the faith... and cannot without a specific initiation (in your case, by the Holy Spirit.) That's exactly how mystery cults operate.

Quote:
I did not say that Christ does not make a distinction and certainly a division and separation from the world but now your argument would assume my stance is that Christ expects no division of the world. I never said that. Why, was that my stance or argument? Your argument is sloppy and smells dishonest. Its a straw man. More elementary mistakes. I said the Holy Spirit is Unity of all things Godly.

Actually, what you said was this: "the Spirit of Christ is unity of all things godly, not disunity or division."

1. The Spirit of Christ is not the Holy Spirit; they're different subsets of God in the formulation of the Trinity, but mutually exclusive with respect to each other.

2. I'm sure you can recognise that the plain words of Jesus are that he did in fact come to bring division - symbolised by a sword and expressed in home-wrecking violence - to the world. This Christ is a fellow subset of the same loving God who desires all people to be saved. Or not?

So, in the name of a desire to unify all people in himself, Christ has come to bring violent division within the family-groups of those very people.

Quote:
No that was not the context, that is more dishonesty on your part. You explicitly said that the holy spirit is brainwashing,

I explicitly said that "Now, you can say that the Holy Spirit transforms the soul, with an effect similar to brainwashing - and that without this, the person cannot choose to believe..."

That's not the same thing as "the Holy Spirit is brainwashing."

Quote:
I will not continue this path of dishonesty of yours with you in order for you to save face and "win" an argument by childish means. And you cannot argue the holy spirit if you do not believe on the LORD JESUS CHRIST, PERIOD. John 14:6 "6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." You can argue and wiggle all you want but it does not change the fact.

Childish means? First off, I'm not trying to "win" anything. I see a statement (your OP) that to all of my sensibilities, experiences, and insider knowledge of Christianity (specifically through a Lutheran perspective) is not in accord with reality. It rings false in my senses, in my mind, and in my soul.

Second, I'm not using ad hominem by lack of credential, with intent to shut down all conversation. I'll explain how it works, just in case.

1. Anyone who opposes my view lacks the perspective granted by/to my view necessary to harbour a valid opposition; therefore, such oppositions are not to be considered.
(The perspective is the credential; the dismissal on its ground is the ad hominem.)

2. Anyone possessed of that perspective necessarily shares my view, and thus has no incentive to harbour a valid opposition.

3. As (1) cannot produce opposition to my view, and (2) will not, my position is therefore unopposed.

4. Therefore I am right.
(Admittedly, I could be off about you going this far; but in every case where someone's method of argument revolved around "outsiders can't understand, so their objections are invalid," this was their conclusion.)

Quote:
Of course that is a straw man. I in no way said that, and you know that since I told you before. The saying has absolutely nothing to do with choosing anything or being chosen.

You used the word decide.
Decide has two typical definitions, either of which can be used in your doublet: determine, and choose. This means your formulation is vague; and my failure to guess at what you meant does not constitute a strawman. So going back to your doublet, using determine instead of choose.

"The people do not decide (determine) the Faith; the Faith decides (determines) the people."

Again, people do determine the Faith, by describing it with language and codifying it as doctrine. This cannot be denied; the question arising from it is "is this doctrine in sufficient accord with the Faith to be considered correct?"

(Note that this works however you decide determine should be defined.)

Answering this is complicated by passages like:
-2 Cor 11 (wherein Paul describes the problem of false apostles - namely the Twelve - pretending to serve God but really being agents of Satan)
-1 Kings 22 (wherein, according to the true prophecy of Micaiah, God sent an angel to Ahab's court prophets to deliver a false prophecy to them)
-Ezekiel 26 (the prophecy against Tyre which turned out to be false)
-Jonah (the prophecy against Nineveh, being delivered to Jonah as sure thing, but falsified by Nineveh's repentance)

This is because now the answer now has to consider the possibilities, whereby an apparently (and even "certainly" ) true inspiration or revelation could be false because of:

-Being an act of Satan pretending to be God
-Being false and intended to entice another to destruction
-Being false and intended to intimidate another into repentance with the threat of destruction

Or, in short, we have the problems of Satan playing God, and of God having a plan that evidently includes acts of deception on Its part.

This does mean that people must determine the Source of the inspiration, determine whether it should be listened to or not, and then appropriate action taken... and even then could be wrong despite all conviction to rightness.

----

Now for the second part, "the Faith decides the people." If decide still means determine here, then I can actually go back to something I said before about that:

Someone
However, a doctrine can contain a description of what it holds a person to be; and/or it can contain a prescription of what it holds that a person should be. If this is what you mean by "decide," then you are at least half right.

A religion, or body of doctrines, is prescriptive, and therefore determines (what) the people (should be).

Part of the reason I shifted to "choose" was that your response was strange and led me to believe that you'd rejected this view.

And "change" is not a valid definition of decide, for reference.

Incredible Genius

13,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Contributor 150
anonymous attributes
The people do not decide the faith, the faith decides the people.

(Hint) Since no one seems to gather that this is a saying, and "faith" is not literal, but is meant as doctrine. The whole. Lets try again.

The people in their youth do not decide their faith. They are taught it and influenced into it. However, when they are older, and have a broader range of knowledge, they may just break free of their fear of being condemned. They may just one day think "Hmmm, this suddenly doesn't make much sense."
Sandokiri
anonymous attributes
]I said none of that, I did not assert there was any kind of "secretive language resembles English."

Paraphrasing. You are making the claim that the actual meaning of scripture is incomprehensible to those who don't have the Holy Spirit. And there is no functional difference between the separation of spiritual and natural discernment, and Thieves Cant or similar secret languages. The words are English, but outsiders can't understand what's really being said.

Where the comparison to mystery cults comes in is this: because of this distinction, you say that the natural cannot know the true reality of the faith... and cannot without a specific initiation (in your case, by the Holy Spirit.) That's exactly how mystery cults operate.

Quote:
I did not say that Christ does not make a distinction and certainly a division and separation from the world but now your argument would assume my stance is that Christ expects no division of the world. I never said that. Why, was that my stance or argument? Your argument is sloppy and smells dishonest. Its a straw man. More elementary mistakes. I said the Holy Spirit is Unity of all things Godly.

Actually, what you said was this: "the Spirit of Christ is unity of all things godly, not disunity or division."

1. The Spirit of Christ is not the Holy Spirit; they're different subsets of God in the formulation of the Trinity, but mutually exclusive with respect to each other.

2. I'm sure you can recognise that the plain words of Jesus are that he did in fact come to bring division - symbolised by a sword and expressed in home-wrecking violence - to the world. This Christ is a fellow subset of the same loving God who desires all people to be saved. Or not?

So, in the name of a desire to unify all people in himself, Christ has come to bring violent division within the family-groups of those very people.

Quote:
No that was not the context, that is more dishonesty on your part. You explicitly said that the holy spirit is brainwashing,

I explicitly said that "Now, you can say that the Holy Spirit transforms the soul, with an effect similar to brainwashing - and that without this, the person cannot choose to believe..."

That's not the same thing as "the Holy Spirit is brainwashing."

Quote:
I will not continue this path of dishonesty of yours with you in order for you to save face and "win" an argument by childish means. And you cannot argue the holy spirit if you do not believe on the LORD JESUS CHRIST, PERIOD. John 14:6 "6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." You can argue and wiggle all you want but it does not change the fact.

Childish means? First off, I'm not trying to "win" anything. I see a statement (your OP) that to all of my sensibilities, experiences, and insider knowledge of Christianity (specifically through a Lutheran perspective) is not in accord with reality. It rings false in my senses, in my mind, and in my soul.

Second, I'm not using ad hominem by lack of credential, with intent to shut down all conversation. I'll explain how it works, just in case.

1. Anyone who opposes my view lacks the perspective granted by/to my view necessary to harbour a valid opposition; therefore, such oppositions are not to be considered.
(The perspective is the credential; the dismissal on its ground is the ad hominem.)

2. Anyone possessed of that perspective necessarily shares my view, and thus has no incentive to harbour a valid opposition.

3. As (1) cannot produce opposition to my view, and (2) will not, my position is therefore unopposed.

4. Therefore I am right.
(Admittedly, I could be off about you going this far; but in every case where someone's method of argument revolved around "outsiders can't understand, so their objections are invalid," this was their conclusion.)

Quote:
Of course that is a straw man. I in no way said that, and you know that since I told you before. The saying has absolutely nothing to do with choosing anything or being chosen.

Decide has two typical definitions, either of which can be used in your doublet: determine, and choose. This means your formulation is vague; and my failure to guess at what you meant does not constitute a strawman. So going back to your doublet, using determine instead of choose.

"The people do not decide (determine) the Faith; the Faith decides (determines) the people."

Again, people do determine the Faith, by describing it with language and codifying it as doctrine. This cannot be denied; the question arising from it is "is this doctrine in sufficient accord with the Faith to be considered correct?"

(Note that this works however you decide determine should be defined.)

Answering this is complicated by passages like:
-2 Cor 11 (wherein Paul describes the problem of false apostles - namely the Twelve - pretending to serve God but really being agents of Satan)
-1 Kings 22 (wherein, according to the true prophecy of Micaiah, God sent an angel to Ahab's court prophets to deliver a false prophecy to them)
-Ezekiel 26 (the prophecy against Tyre which turned out to be false)
-Jonah (the prophecy against Nineveh, being delivered to Jonah as sure thing, but falsified by Nineveh's repentance)

This is because now the answer now has to consider the possibilities, whereby an apparently (and even "certainly" ) true inspiration or revelation could be false because of:

-Being an act of Satan pretending to be God
-Being false and intended to entice another to destruction
-Being false and intended to intimidate another into repentance with the threat of destruction

Or, in short, we have the problems of Satan playing God, and of God having a plan that evidently includes acts of deception on Its part.

This does mean that people must determine the Source of the inspiration, determine whether it should be listened to or not, and then appropriate action taken... and even then could be wrong despite all conviction to rightness.

----

Now for the second part, "the Faith decides the people." If decide still means determine here, then I can actually go back to something I said before about that:

Someone
However, a doctrine can contain a description of what it holds a person to be; and/or it can contain a prescription of what it holds that a person should be. If this is what you mean by "decide," then you are at least half right.

A religion, or body of doctrines, is prescriptive, and therefore determines (what) the people (should be).

Part of the reason I shifted to "choose" was that your response was strange and led me to believe that you'd rejected this view.

And "change" is not a valid definition of decide, for reference.

Oh my deer, with antlers and everything. I was working on a reply for literally 2 hours and then I didn't save it then it asked me to log in and its not there. I messed that one up.

Since it is all gone, and I will not take the time again to redo it all, I will be brief.

Concerning the doctrine and the spirit of Jesus and the Holy spirit, you say they are different. I tell you to read the chapters in John Chapter 14 through 17.

Admitted. That one is incorrect of me. you did not explicitly say that, my mistake. However, I wont further argue this matter. Point in fact, as I said before. Unless one is born again and believes on the Lord Jesus Christ and savior, and that he died on the cross and was raised again will he have the holy spirit.

I see a statement (your OP) that to all of my sensibilities, experiences, and insider knowledge of Christianity (specifically through a Lutheran perspective) is not in accord with reality. It rings false in my senses, in my mind, and in my soul.

I think what you mean is your sect decided what the text and teaching was, instead of the teaching speaking for itself. Is this correct?

Also I am not arguing that I am right on the "basis" that just no one understands and I do therefore on that "basis" I am right. No, not by the rules and logic of argumentation. But that is not what I am arguing. What I am talking about is a relationship with God, and that cannot be proven accept by they who are actually in a relationship with Him, it will be proven to them only.

Sure did, no doubt a straw man. Here's how. I had already told you before that your usage of the word "Choose" was incorrect, yet you persisted on with it. Later you give me the definition which has two options. Logic dictates, if there are two options and I tell you which one is wrong, that only leaves one other, yet you persisted to use the incorrect one that I made mention. This is a straw man for sure, unless at least one of us made a mistake. let me know if you can find one.

Everything under that which you quote by means of verse location and paraphrasing and your conclusion is a straw man if ever I saw one so clearly. Look, Sandokiri used to be a Lutheran, she will guide you by her three step process, because its impossible that there should actually be any other option or answer, She didn't find an answer, Why should you? BUY NOW. Now I am making fun of you because of how sloppy and silly this is.

Inside of that straw man, there is a red herring. you named four places which you see a cause for error. This is a red herring, but you would escape that by saying no, its an example. Uhuh...sure..Unless I decide to comment on it? you are the one who took those passages up. I will not answer those there, but I might if you made thread, otherwise you are wrong about your conclusion, explained above.

IN so many words. But if someone truly believes in the Lord Jesus Christ then they will be changed by the Holy Spirit, so not really only a description of what they ought to be.

I hope I haven't missed anything, I made this second reply in haste. Still weeping over my last one which was a million years long
anonymous attributes
Concerning the doctrine and the spirit of Jesus and the Holy spirit, you say they are different. I tell you to read the chapters in John Chapter 14 through 17.

If you reject the doctrine of the Trinity, it's fine, and I'll withdraw my objection to that. 3nodding But if you do accept the Trinity, then it's not possible to argue that the spirit of Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, are the same - that's confusion of substance.

Quote:
I think what you mean is your sect decided what the text and teaching was, instead of the teaching speaking for itself. Is this correct?

It's not in accord with my independent reading of the text either. More accurately, it sometimes is and sometimes isn't, the distinction being what texts are being read.

I suppose what bothers me on this point is the idea that one needs the Holy Spirit, in light of Romans 9: that it is possible for a seeker, receiving the words of the Bible, to bloody her knuckles knocking (Matthew 7.) Yet the door may never open, because God has ordained that she be a "vessel made for destruction," and thus can never find; yet this will be held against her eternally.

Not a fan of Reformed theology. If you happen to be of one of the Reformed churches (eg Calvinism,) just let me know and I won't continue, so that we don't bloody each other's brows continuing to butt heads.

Quote:
Also I am not arguing that I am right on the "basis" that just no one understands and I do therefore on that "basis" I am right. No, not by the rules and logic of argumentation. But that is not what I am arguing. What I am talking about is a relationship with God, and that cannot be proven accept by they who are actually in a relationship with Him, it will be proven to them only.

Then just some advice, take it or leave it: if it can't be proven to outsiders, then be careful of how you express it, lest you become a confusion (or, perhaps, a stumbling-block) to seekers and prodigals.

Quote:
Inside of that straw man, there is a red herring. you named four places which you see a cause for error. This is a red herring, but you would escape that by saying no, its an example. Uhuh...sure..Unless I decide to comment on it? you are the one who took those passages up. I will not answer those there, but I might if you made thread, otherwise you are wrong about your conclusion, explained above.

I'm not going to try to escape it, nor accept the charge of red herring for it, because I think it's vital to whether "people don't decide the faith" is true. Since a given inspiration may be the Holy Spirit, or may be Satan, or may be a lying spirit from God or even the voices in your head, the call is made to "test the spirits, to see if they be of God."

But in testing, you are deciding (determining) whether what is apparently the faith is actually the faith. If you actually mean something else by "deicde the faith" other than this, then please expand on your OP, such that what you're talking about is at least provisionally understandable to the "unwashed," and so that confusions do not persist.
Sandokiri
anonymous attributes

If you reject the doctrine of the Trinity, it's fine, and I'll withdraw my objection to that. 3nodding But if you do accept the Trinity, then it's not possible to argue that the spirit of Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, are the same - that's confusion of substance.

Quote:

It's not in accord with my independent reading of the text either. More accurately, it sometimes is and sometimes isn't, the distinction being what texts are being read.

I suppose what bothers me on this point is the idea that one needs the Holy Spirit, in light of Romans 9: that it is possible for a seeker, receiving the words of the Bible, to bloody her knuckles knocking (Matthew 7.) Yet the door may never open, because God has ordained that she be a "vessel made for destruction," and thus can never find; yet this will be held against her eternally.

Not a fan of Reformed theology. If you happen to be of one of the Reformed churches (eg Calvinism,) just let me know and I won't continue, so that we don't bloody each other's brows continuing to butt heads.

Quote:

Then just some advice, take it or leave it: if it can't be proven to outsiders, then be careful of how you express it, lest you become a confusion (or, perhaps, a stumbling-block) to seekers and prodigals.

Quote:

I'm not going to try to escape it, nor accept the charge of red herring for it, because I think it's vital to whether "people don't decide the faith" is true. Since a given inspiration may be the Holy Spirit, or may be Satan, or may be a lying spirit from God or even the voices in your head, the call is made to "test the spirits, to see if they be of God."

But in testing, you are deciding (determining) whether what is apparently the faith is actually the faith. If you actually mean something else by "deicde the faith" other than this, then please expand on your OP, such that what you're talking about is at least provisionally understandable to the "unwashed," and so that confusions do not persist.

That is an interesting topic the doctrine of the trinity even though it is veering off.
Lets see. I know of only two places that people get the trinity doctrine, which I do not disagree with, but perhaps see it differently than you, however still seeming uncertain.

Matthew 28:19 "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:"

and

1 John 5:7 "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."

There seem to be three something. But no mention of the spirit of Christ. Maybe one will say the "Son" is referring to the spirit of Jesus. The reason this is being brought up is because you said:

The Spirit of Christ and the Holy Spirit are different. Is this correct? And if so, what indication is there, and why are they different, what is the purpose of them being different? These questions need answered first.

Can you explain what this means --& I suppose what bothers me on this point is the idea that one needs the Holy Spirit, in light of Romans 9: that it is possible for a seeker, receiving the words of the Bible, to bloody her knuckles knocking (Matthew 7.) Yet the door may never open, because God has ordained that she be a "vessel made for destruction," and thus can never find; yet this will be held against her eternally.

Who is the this girl, and specifically what verses.

I am none of the above. I am non-denominational Christian. Ive never been to a church, and Ive never been indoctrinated by someone else believe/teaching/denomination.I do not read books on Christianity or anything of the sort. I read and I study and I learn. If its in the Bible I believe it. This raises the question about interpretation however.

I'm not going to try to escape it, nor accept the charge of red herring for it, because I think it's vital to whether "people don't decide the faith"

You will have to expand on the above line for my understanding.
anonymous attributes
The Spirit of Christ and the Holy Spirit are different. Is this correct? And if so, what indication is there, and why are they different, what is the purpose of them being different? These questions need answered first.

The account of the baptism of Jesus (Matthew 3) contains that:

"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:"
-Jesus would use the Holy Spirit and fire as tools of baptism.

"And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:"
-God opens the sky-window, and the Holy Spirit comes down onto Jesus.

Thus, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are different.

The Holy Spirit is actually the same as the Spirit of God, and shows up in certain cases in the Old Testament when a figure called the Spirit of the LORD appears (for example, when it gives super strength and endurance to Samson several times in Judges 14 etc.)

Quote:
I am none of the above. I am non-denominational Christian. Ive never been to a church, and Ive never been indoctrinated by someone else believe/teaching/denomination.I do not read books on Christianity or anything of the sort. I read and I study and I learn. If its in the Bible I believe it. This raises the question about interpretation however.

And I'll leave that question alone for now, as well as the last request, because the two are closely related (as the last is the question of how an interpretation can be known with confidence to be the right one.)

As for the Romans 9 reference, the whole chapter is used as the basis for the predestination doctrine in Calvinism and other Reformed sects.

Romans 9
19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
Sandokiri
anonymous attributes

The account of the baptism of Jesus (Matthew 3) contains that:

"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:"
-Jesus would use the Holy Spirit and fire as tools of baptism.

"And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:"
-God opens the sky-window, and the Holy Spirit comes down onto Jesus.

Thus, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are different.

The Holy Spirit is actually the same as the Spirit of God, and shows up in certain cases in the Old Testament when a figure called the Spirit of the LORD appears (for example, when it gives super strength and endurance to Samson several times in Judges 14 etc.)

Quote:

And I'll leave that question alone for now, as well as the last request, because the two are closely related (as the last is the question of how an interpretation can be known with confidence to be the right one.)

As for the Romans 9 reference, the whole chapter is used as the basis for the predestination doctrine in Calvinism and other Reformed sects.

Romans 9
19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

I realize the holy spirit and the spirit of God are the same spirit. But what IS the spirit of Jesus apart from the spirit of God?

Now as far as Romans 9, this is where the Calvinists get their doctrine? But you are not Calvinist. What do you say about it?
anonymous attributes
I realize the holy spirit and the spirit of God are the same spirit. But what IS the spirit of Jesus apart from the spirit of God?

As described in John 1, the spirit of Jesus is the Logos, the spoken word - which, in Genesis 1, is the means by which God creates. I see it as different from the spirit of God; and that the oneness described by Jesus in John 14 etc. is a oneness of purpose, much as it is in the synoptics - not necessary a oneness of entity.

Quote:
Now as far as Romans 9, this is where the Calvinists get their doctrine? But you are not Calvinist. What do you say about it?

The idea put forth there is that, from the beginning - even before there was sin - God had chosen a worldline in which some people would be "vessels fitted for destruction," and somehow deserve infinite eternal punishment for doing only what God built them to do.

Likewise, the idea is put forth in the context that God intentionally frustrates some people's desire to have faith (that is, he hardens whom he wills,) yet God is to be held blameless and the squashed seeker having no right to question (because pots can't question the potter) and no chance to avoid hell (because divinely blocked from having faith doesn't mitigate failure to have faith.)

It seems a monstrous view to me.
Sandokiri
anonymous attributes

As described in John 1, the spirit of Jesus is the Logos, the spoken word - which, in Genesis 1, is the means by which God creates. I see it as different from the spirit of God; and that the oneness described by Jesus in John 14 etc. is a oneness of purpose, much as it is in the synoptics - not necessary a oneness of entity.

Quote:

The idea put forth there is that, from the beginning - even before there was sin - God had chosen a worldline in which some people would be "vessels fitted for destruction," and somehow deserve infinite eternal punishment for doing only what God built them to do.

Likewise, the idea is put forth in the context that God intentionally frustrates some people's desire to have faith (that is, he hardens whom he wills,) yet God is to be held blameless and the squashed seeker having no right to question (because pots can't question the potter) and no chance to avoid hell (because divinely blocked from having faith doesn't mitigate failure to have faith.)

It seems a monstrous view to me.

On the first I think I will let it go since I do not see it a cause for argument, seeing also that it is not high on my list and its such a minute point. I think we disagree slightly. That's fine.

God had chosen a worldline in which some people would be "vessels fitted for destruction," and somehow deserve infinite eternal punishment for doing only what God built them to do.

That depends on your understanding reading whether or not God literally made them that way because its what he wanted. Ive read the Bible through and through. (which should not necessarily mean I am right, and it doesn't) but because I have so many times, my experience with the language being used is hard to understand in that respect. However in my studies and reading of scripture I have found, and am fully convinced in my own mind that the language is not literal, in the sense that it is not what He wanted, but it is written that way because all things are made by God so it is attributed to Him by that language. It necessary in the realm of the creation, since God did not want a creation of stone or robotics, but of flesh, He gave them a choice in the beginning. "Do not touch the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil." But God did not make a creation of stone or robotics, but of flesh, and she, Eve, being the one who did not see the things that God made was beguiled by the serpent, and she was convinced by another voice other than Gods.

This is how I see it. You are a creator, you build a track that has loops and turns and hallways for little hot wheels toy cars. You are god, so you could have made a perfect track that would not allow for any cars to swerve off if they reach a certain speed, they cannot question you in the literal sense, but instead you want something that will allow for the driver of the car to decide what speed they choose, that way they have choice to listen to your voice (god) and follow the safe speed and rules given to them, or the speed that they want themselves (the serpent)

Now you know because of this gift of choice that you installed that you have given to each driver in the little toy cars, that not everyone will listen to you, you know all things, but that choice is a gift you gave them. In that sense then, you did create some of them that would not listen and go high speeds and go off track and die because of your all knowing, but just because you knew that some would not listen to you, does not mean you wanted them not to, it means you made a creation that is fair in giving them a choice and you understand the perimeters and outcomes, and each choice has a consequence.

That fair world where people get to choose you or reject you, by that fairness of choice, and by that fairness some will indeed reject. The knowledge of all things does not mean you literally took your hand and grabbed some of those cars and through them in the dumpster because its what you wanted.

2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." Repentance is a concept not new to scripture and is through out it. Repentance literally means to turn away from, and in this case of God, to turn turn away from sin and towards God.

The Bible is riddled with free will, repentance, both in examples and by teaching. If there are 12 places on a subject that you understand and three that you do not, will you be convinced on the 3 or the 12? Believe the 12, and be patient on the 3 that you do not yet understand.

Likewise, the idea is put forth in the context that God intentionally frustrates some people's desire to have faith.

I believe the creation is that test in it of itself, that fact that we are flesh we do struggle with what to believe, and also the struggle with sin. But we are not made perfect as God is perfect, that is why struggle is even possible. It begs the question why arent we God then. Well simply because there is one God and we are the creation.

that is, he hardens whom he wills

That to me is the concept that we cannot earn our way into heaven by our own strength or works, or in other words, we cannot earn the favor of God, it is impossible, We MUST receive it as a free gift of grace, that is the power of God, not by our own power or works, only given through repentance.

I don't really think so.
Scripture must be interpreted in light of other scripture. This is Biblical interpretation 101 that is why I read the Bible so many times, as much as I can. Having done this you begin to understand certain language that is being used, however I have found a better speaker than myself on the subject. Allow this to speak for me. This is what I would tell you, and having read scripture as I have I myself am fully convinced

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff