Welcome to Gaia! ::

3,950 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
I would just like to warn people that this is going to have some bad language in it, but I've reached the end of my rope.

I'm seriously thinking of quitting college. I can't ******** do this anymore. I am stressed out, I've lost weight, I barely get any sleep, college has made me so ******** depressed and so ******** miserable, that I don't think I can do this anymore.

I'm overwhelmed with a ton of work, and not enough time to do it. I am supposed to graduate this May, but I have so much s**t on my plate, that it doesn't even seem possible. I have ton of research papers, exams, lit reviews, a senior project paper that has to be 30 pages long, and a mandatory internship where I have to write journal entries for that as well, as well as a powerpoint project. As a result, so many restrictions have been put on my social life because this work that I have keeps piling up. I'm not behind or anything, which is good, but my teachers keep piling it on, and I get that this is college, and I have to deal with it, but I'm so ******** miserable.

Today in class, I almost walked out crying.

Everyone I know is telling me, "Oh just deal with it," "stop being stressed," "be positive," "it'll all work out," and this pisses me off either because half of these people are not even in school, have never even bothered with a college degree, or they are in college but don't nearly have as much work. And then it makes me think why even bother trying to get some sympathy from people who can't even begin to understand.

Now, I get that some people have it worse off than I do, but I'm not looking to compare. I'm speaking from my own experiences.

And one of my teachers is not clear on her assignment for her paper. She says that it's a research paper, but in the syllabus it says it's an argument. I asked for clarification on this and she still won't give me a straight answer, and not only that, she doesn't even where in the syllabus it is says this, and she ******** wrote it!

I've asked several people what we are supposed to do, and nobody is entirely clear.

Pretty much every second of the day is dedicated to schoolwork. I feel like I get no time for myself, no time to breathe, because even in between classes I'm studying for a test, or I'm working on a paper. And then, when I get home, I have more work to do, plus the internship on top of all of this.

I'm literally crying right now, because I can't ******** do this anymore. I'm so stressed out, and so depressed. I want to quit so badly, but that doesn't even seem like an option because then my parents will have to pay back all that money, which means that my time here would have been a waste if I did drop out.

But I don't know what to ******** do!! There have been so many times where I wished that I had never even gone to college, because this feeling of being trapped, this feeling of being stuck has never gone away. Sometimes I think that if I could turn back time, I never would have gone. I'm getting severely worried that I won't be able to graduate on time.

Sometimes I feel like school has ruined my life. I am so unhappy, that sometimes I can't even ******** function.

I need so much help right now, because I don't know what to do!!!

Timid Star

11,075 Points
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Timid 100
College isn't for everyone, and even if it is for you in general it might not be what's best for you right now. If you're feeling that overwhelmed by it, feel free to step back and take a break. Your own well-being is the most important thing! If you're feeling bad, you're going to perform worse and it'll just stress you out more.. but if you take some time to make yourself feel better, then you'll be ready to go later! Taking a break now doesn't necessarily mean you can't go back later and try again, so don't feel like you're quitting if that's the case. If not, that's fine too. What's your major? Is it something you really want to do with your life? There are other options for careers... have you looked into those?
sometimes all you can do is write it out like you just did
and breathe
lay your head down and be glad you got it out

...you'll feel better in the morning
(i pray)

Chatty Smoker

What's your major and how are you paying for school?

I think you should maybe drop down to part time and take less classes. It may take a little longer to finish, but you won't be overwhelmed, and you'll have more time to dedicate to your classes when you're only focused on two classes instead of four. That's what I did because I work full time now and can't really handle 4 classes, especially ones that are really difficult for me.

Hygienic Conversationalist

6,350 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • First step to fame 200
Yikes, I know how you feel. Senior year is always the WORST. I struggled so much my junior and senior year, morso my senior because I to take 16 credits to graduate on time.

If you've made it this far, don't give up now! You're almost there! You're not behind on anything so that's great. Keep it up for just a bit longer. Remember, this won't last forever. I told myself that over and over when I couldn't see the end due to all of my papers and clinical work.

If it is really too much, try dropping some classes. Even if you have to delay graduation, take about half-time classes this semester to wind down, and finish up next semester.

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
As someone who graduated from college and dealt with a similar workload (minus internship), here's a few things to help you out:

1) Prioritize assignments. Work on what's due the soonest first, then smaller papers, then bigger papers, then projects (like the powerpoint one), etc., or however you want to organize them. Work on each category for a half hour apiece, taking a 5-10 minute break in-between.

2) Study and work on assignments with people. The more people around to help you out when you're stuck in an assignment, the better.

3) If you can't find people to work with, go find something similar to a student success building. I was having trouble with Biology, so I went there to get a tutor to help me study. I also used them to help write my senior paper (did it on developmental politics and how video games are a great way to explore that area of politics).

As far as the paper thing goes, she's right on both accounts. Yes, it is a research paper. Yes, it is an argument paper. Basically, when you're writing this paper, you need to take a position on a particular question (ie: Censorship), and supporting that argument through research.

I understand perfectly the weight and stress of assignments and getting things done. The important thing is to remain positive, continue to go through your work, and take some time out of the week to enjoy yourself. Sometimes if you're overly stressed, your work suffers. If you've been writing papers for 8 hours with no break, then for cryin' out loud, take a break. XD
You did sign up for this work, and you planned to take these classes. So you either really suck it up and do what you took on, or you admit it is too much, drop something and maybe graduate in another semester or year. I know that I planned to have my last semester to be light, and took on a lot of s**t in my 2nd and 3rd years to do so.

Since you are doing research papers (which are geared to those doing grad school) I would assume you want to go farther in that field, so that makes dropping a class even more of an option, so that you do well in these classes overall. you woudlnt be doing internships and 30 page papers for an undergrad you just want to pass through. It isnt about graduating on a certain date then, its about doing well enough here. But the reality is that you have a work load that does require you to do a s**t load of school work and not have a social life and you just have to accept it and go forth.

Also please do go to your school's counselor to talk about your depression feelings, so that you can keep your mental health in check. School isnt worth dying over.
There is no success without sacrifice.

Wealthy Duck

17,225 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wry Dealer 500
Don't give up. College can be tough, but it will be worth it in the end. Just make sure to take care of you first. If that means taking a semester off, then so be it.

3,950 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
mleblanc789
Don't give up. College can be tough, but it will be worth it in the end. Just make sure to take care of you first. If that means taking a semester off, then so be it.

Sometimes I wonder if it really is worth it in the end. Half the time I really just want to give up. I feel stuck because I don't want to be in college for longer than I need to, but I don't want to feel so stressed out anymore.

3,950 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
9fpbo
Don't give up OP, no matter what.
It's hard for everybody.
When it gets especially hard for you, take more frequent breaks and just relax and deep breathe.
You will persevere and find a way.

I do try to take breaks, but even then, I feel like I can't escape from college for even five minutes.

Even after I walk out of my room, having just woken up, I'm being reminded about e-mails, and papers, and exams, and my internship. Haven't even been awake for five minutes, and already I'm hearing, "you have an exam on this day," "you need to e-mail your teacher," "you need to call this person," "you need to work on this paper." The only conversations my parents have with me nowadays is to ask me how school is going, if I'm all caught up, if I've finished an assignment. They barely ask me how I'm feeling, or how I'm doing in general. I keep telling myself that the only reason they are on my a**, is because they want me to do well, and because they are dropping down the thousands to pay for my tuition, then yes, they have every right to be on my a**.

What I am saying, however, is that I haven't been able to have a normal conversation with my parents that had nothing to do with school. I know that sounds like a stupid reason to be upset, but sometimes I just get so mad and think that that's the only thing that matters, even though I know that's not true.

By the way, my parents aren't the problem. The problem is that I feel so stuck. I feel so stuck, and I don't know how to express this to them, because I'm afraid they don't get it, or just tell me to deal with it.

3,950 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
Cosmicbaby
There is no success without sacrifice.

I know that, but sometimes I feel like I'm going nowhere, that I'm stuck in the same situation over and over again.

If I could turn back time. I never would have gone to college. If my parents were not paying my tuition, and there were no financial consequences on them if I decided to drop out, I would.

Maybe those feelings will change over time, but it seriously doesn't feel like they will.

Fallen Phantom

9,490 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Hey, you're hella close to graduating. Maybe you can drop out for this semester, take some time off to recooperate, then go back and finish up. When I was at my worst I actually did end up running out of class crying, but I took a semester and summer to get myself back together before heading back to school and it really helped.
Also, if financially possible, maybe you could take less classes and spread it out over a longer period of time. I have a friend who did that and she said it helped.

Dapper Noob

As a current college student, I feel you on the stress. (Granted, I'm only in my second year but I'm double majoring and doing EC's + 0 zero social life lol)

I think at this point you should just finish strong. Really garner all your strength and break into pieces. My goal for the summer is to find a internship, volunteer etc but even thinking about it now as a whole is very overwhelming with my schedule. What really helps me deal with it is dealing with it week by week instead.

Oh, and avoiding procastination goes a long way too. though I'm pretty sure you don't need to hear that from a second year. Good luck, sorry to hear you are so stressed out!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff