Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Raider

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Full closet 200
User Image
...I'm only human, just a little human. ______________ _________ __ _ ℓ υ c ι α xн α ℓ α c я є
...I'm only human, just a little human. ______________ _________ __ _ ℓ υ c ι α xн α ℓ α c я є

Lucia was used to pretending to be invisible in the castle, having stood for hours as a low ranked guard everyday for years, but this atmosphere between her and Sophonisba when Alexandra was sent to the wine cellar...it was oddly uncomfortable. She withstood it, mainly through scanning the room around her as a distraction, and quickly became fascinated by how much more lavish the rooms were compared to her's. It wasn't anything important, and she had seen these rooms countless times before, but it never ceased to amaze her how many extra decorations the nobles seemed to need before they were satisfied; as if not having the random paintings or candelabras would be the same as taking away oxygen. At the sound of her name, she instantly came back, alert, and calmly watched the heiress before her admit to performing background checks. Lucia paid no mind to having her information dug up; the royals did when she was hired at first, the Tinels as well when she became a squire, but why did Sophonisba do it? To the captain who cared not for bloodlines, Sophonisba was just another noble she was tasked to protect. Yes, she was from a very high ranking family, but the other nobles rarely gave her so much as eye contact, and for this one to be so interested in her...

"My only concern is the safety of this castle, Lady Sophonisba; it keeps me busy enough that I have no time to create an agenda. As for your informant, I would appreciate it if you could direct me to them. It could possibly help me catch the thief and return the crown to her Majesty." Lucia kept her tone straight, trained to have not much emotion, kept professional, concise. "All the knights here all serve under their respective families, so you may find it difficult to find a champion here. However, I hear there is a recruit looking to become a guard here. Shall I send him your way before someone else claims him?"

Soρhonisɓa

Sophie tilted her head and looked at Lucia. "Everyone has an agenda, my dear. We all have ambitions, hopes, demons, or even mothers that guide our hands." She studied the guard captain for a moment longer, ignoring the request to reveal her source of information. The captain wouldn't expect an answer anyway. "Bring this new recruit later. If he hasn't yet made a pledge to another house, he may serve my purposes here. And when you bring him, dress for dinner. You'll be staying to dine. You are after all, a lady of the court, and despite your position, and the secrets you keep from me, I would like to thank you for what you've done for Alex."

Quotable Hunter

6,050 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Full closet 200
|alexandra| T i n e l

Alex gave a smile and bowed her way out, practically skipping out the door. She quickly made her way to the kitchen and gave a nod at the chef, who called her name as she went down to the wine cellar. What did he want? She had no clue. "This only deserves the finest..." she said to herself, gazing at the rows upon rows of ales and vintage wines, thinking that they had all earned it at this point. She was allowed to take these without hesitation, correct? Especially for someone in her Lady's position?

The finest wines of the castles were imported, traded from countries where the temperature was hot all year in order to ripen the grapes to perfection. Alex took a bottle of one of the finest and oldest wines, dusted off the label, and began to make her way back.

"Alexandra! Can you please just--"

Alex brushed past the chef without an answer, still lost in her happy-go-lucky world. The chef would have followed if not for the orders pouring in for dinner. Perhaps he would try another time.

The handmaiden was now back at the front of Sophie's door. She was about to take a step in but heard murmurs from inside. She didn't know what made her stop, but the girl began to listen in curiously.

"despite your position, and the secrets you keep from me, I would like to thank you for what you've done for Alex."

The handmaiden raised her eyebrows, secrets? There were secrets? Alex peered around on both sides of the hallway--no one was there. She continued to listen while she could.

|annabelle| D o r m e r

Fashionable Raider

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Full closet 200
User Image

It would be a lie to say Sophonisba's words didn't irk Lucia, especially with the subtle attack on her position, but she showed nothing in her expression except a small smile. "Of course, you will be the first to hear of their arrival. Now if you would excuse me, I have some business to take care of." She gave a low bow and spun on her heel to leave the room. Turning the corner rather abruptly - anything to get away as quickly as possible - she nearly plowed through Alexandra and grabbed her shoulder and the bottle to keep both from falling. "I'm sorry!" She blurted out, taking a full step to the side to let her through and excused herself with her head lowered.

Quotable Hunter

6,050 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Full closet 200
|alexandra| T i n e l

Alex's eyes widened and let out a breathless "oof" as she nearly got run over by Lucia who happened to be on her way out. A feeling akin to a heart attack took place as the wine bottle nearly toppled to the floor, only to be saved by Lucia. Everything was alright. The handmaiden's face was also blushing a bright red at almost being caught in her act of eavesdropping. An inner sigh of relief as she seemed to get out of it all unscathed...relatively.

She hastened her reply, trying to steer the focus somewhere else, "Lucia! It is alright. Won't you stay? I just wanted to say thank-you before you left!" Alex gave a wide grin, holding out the bottle to the Captain. "It was just so nice of you to forgive me and Sophie for last night!"

|annabelle| D o r m e r

Dapper Explorer

5,500 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Friendly 100
  • Contributor 150
[ R O W A N ]

Rowan had no interest in whatever was in the door on the left or whatever it was that G had said. She selected the nearest bed chamber and dropped her sad leather bag. She divested of the majority of her robes and proceeded to the adjacent washroom to clean up, the mage had no interest in a full bath, and only used the provided cloths to give herself a bit of a cleaning. She did her best to ignore the sensation of the scales on her arm, neck and cheek. While the odd affliction did not hurt per se, it felt very odd where the skin met the scales, like a deep itch that she didn't dare scratch with her new golden talons. As she washed she did have to admit they were lovely in a way.

Finally she completed her wash and lay down on the rather spartan but perfectly comfortable bed. She reached for her bag and while reaching into it spoke, aperire inanis. From within the ensorcelled bag she reached to another dimension and removed the orb she had hidden there. She rolled it around in her hands, it was the same as when she had found it before, a bit larger than a foot and perfectly round, rather heavy and absolutely gorgeous, like a perfect gemstone. "Vopraan..." she whispered to it, the word that had spoken itself as she approached the shrine. Nothing happened. She wasn't sure what she had expected anyway. She put the ball back in her bag and lay down to sleep, she needed that far more than anything else at the moment.

In the meantime, Ash was on the path to the capital, out of a sense of duty mostly, he could suffer no undead to escape, an abomination, however close it may be to his ex-protege, was still an abomination. Besides ... he had to make sure she was alright. In a way. Even though she seemed to hate him now. He held up a hand in front of him and let the mage light keep the path lit, though it didn't make it much easier on foot and the sun was going down. When he heard horses on the path ahead of him he knew he had been getting close to the capital, though it was some miles out yet. "Halloooo! Traveller here! Are you from Capital City? Could I possibly accompany you back?" He announced his presence, for certainly this would not be a group of bandits so close to the city.

It turned out to be some sort of patrol, and they seemed to be looking for Rowan of all people, by order of the Captain of the Guard!? He of course told them that he knew who they were looking for, and was immediately scooped up and carried off to report back to their boss.

[ A S H ]

Fashionable Raider

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Full closet 200
User Image

"Oh! No, it's alright, I have some th-" Lucia interrupted her lame excuse when Alexandra's words finally registered. Forgiving her and Sophie? So the other one in the black veil that accompanied Alexandra...well, that certainly explained who her "reliable informant" was. Some nerve of the heiress to ask about agendas when she herself seemed to have quite an interesting one. Her voice dropped to barely above a whisper so only they could hear well, "I ask that you tell me about your business with the thief some other day, along with Lady Sophonisba's involvement in it. Just...in case something comes up, I will be able to cover for you. Also, I do hope you do a little less...knife work on me next time." Lucia offered a small, but reassuring smile and left.

Going through her afternoon of uninteresting routines, Lucia was rather distracted with her new information. It bothered her that Sophonisba had gone with Alexandra. From what she understood of the nobles around here, they wanted nothing to do with the low class, much less thieves, in fear that their reputation would somehow be stained with even the tiniest bit of association. Not only did Sophonisba go with Alexandra to the meeting, she even saved her at the trial. She could feel there was something being planned, but didn't know what; she had too little knowledge of the noble's back end politics to formulate anything sound. Then again, so long as they had their fortune and power, they could most likely pull of the most absurd of plans.

That night, after finishing up with a quick meeting with the higher rankings of her guards, Lucia was finally back in her own room. She stretched her arms and back, feeling relief hitting her muscles now that her armor was stripped off, and climbed into bed. As she laid on her side, her arm folded under her head, she played with her necklace on the plain white sheets. She poked it, flipped it over, scratched at a random speck of dirt on the embedded gem, all while deep in thought. "I met your sister again. I didn't expect her to do it through stabbing me, but I guess it wasn't a big deal, not with my situation anyway. You'd think with my rank I could've stopped her from getting thrown into prison, but this new heiress had to bail her out. I have this feeling I should keep Alexandra away from her, but I'm not sure yet..In other news: she's taller now so you won't be able to pick her up like you used to. Are you going to be disappointed?"

Lucia pulled her covers up over her shoulders and settled in more, drifting off to sleep in a matter of minutes. Her rest would come to an abrupt end, however, when two pairs of hands pulled her out of bed and onto the floor. Before she could orient herself to where 'up' was, they wrestled her onto her feet and someone covered her mouth with a gloved palm. A large man approached her from her door and she blinked a few times to clear her vision. Only when he neared the window did the moon cast enough light for her to realize it was Bartholomew, her first lieutenant, with a huge, crooked smirk as he looked down at his captain. "Captain, I received an anonymous tip earlier today that you may have been involved in the theft of Her Majesty's crown. Now, I certainly don't want to believe that. Surely our wonderful Captain wouldn't be capable of something as awful as treason, but alas, we must follow all leads since this investigation is so important, don't you agree?" He snapped his fingers and a few more guards came into the room, beginning a quick sweep of her things.

As they shuffled through her drawers and closet, Bartholomew aimlessly paced around the room, glancing around, opening and closing random containers here and there. He eventually came to a stop at her bedside table where some random papers laid and a cup from a few days ago. The man tilted his head thoughtfully, clearly amused, and flipped open the box that had been on that table for so long, she sometimes forgot it was there since she never used it. He let out a delighted hum and drew out the note within between his two fingers to hold in front of her face. "What's this? A note proving you were part of his escape? Well, isn't that just...good news for the queen." Lucia's eyes widened as she read the note multiple times in the few seconds he kept it shoved in her face and began to struggle to break free from the guard's hold on her. "Lucia Halacre, you are under arrest for treason." Bartholomew handed the note to a guard as another took the box with the gold as evidence and waved for Lucia to be taken away. "Also, I would suggest not struggling, it just looks pathetic, especially in your night garments, and please don't make too much noise. It is night time after all and you wouldn't want to wake everyone up."
Soρhonisɓa

Sophie heard as Lucia bumped into the handmaiden just outside the door, and strained to overhear the rest of the conversation, but the acoustics weren't in her favor. She did catch Alex's cheery spilling of Sophie's involvement, but not much else. Sighing, she leaned back and waited a bit longer, until she heard the captain bustle away, and Alex entered the chamber.

The captain had been unwilling to share the connection between a war hero and the Tinel blood, but Alex would almost certainly fill Sophie in. "Ah, an excellent choice dear. Let me pour, you've had a stressful morning." Sophie poured out two glasses as she went on. "Really my dear, whatever kind of bond do you have with that lovely captain? I was almost sure she'd be the biggest problem."

Quotable Hunter

6,050 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Full closet 200
|alexandra| T i n e l

Alex patted down her dress happily as she watched Sophie pour them drinks. At the moment, she didn't have a care in the world. She had given a happy nod at the Captain as she parted from them, completely oblivious to any possible undertones of her words.
"Ah yes, the Captain. Well I have to say my Lady that I do not know much about her myself. She would live as a squire at my family's estate, and I was too young to remember." the handmaiden tilted her head thoughtfully as she dwelled on past memories. "I don't believe she would ever have a reason to go against the Tinel family..."

Alex then blinked out of her train of thought, and glanced back at Sophie. "Oh yes, I wanted to ask, is your family...." she looked down at her hands and twiddled her fingers together, nervous about asking her Lady personal questions, "...close, to the throne?"

|annabelle| D o r m e r

Fashionable Raider

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Full closet 200
User Image

Lucia stumbled into the cell she had thrown Rowan into the other day after Bartholomew personally pushed her in and slammed the door with a clear, intimidating bang. He rattled it a little to get her attention and gave his signature smirk when she turned around, glaring. "If you think this going to hold water y-"
                                            "And what makes you think it won't? It was very clearly found in your room and we have witnesses to that fact. It wasn't like I planted it; as if people can enter your room so easily. I suggest you save the energy you're using to loathe me and think of a good defense. Your trial is at dawn and depending on how it goes, your execution will be in the afternoon." He chuckled, loving the frustration pouring from his dear captain, but before he could get another stab at her, she suddenly crossed the cell in a moment. Her eyes flashed black for a split second and her whole body slammed into the bars as she reached for his neck through the opening, a faint, dark purple light pulsating once through the tattoo that decorated the inside of her right arm. Bartholomew jumped back in time to avoid her grab and the guards posted on either side turned to point their weapons at her. The lieutenant blinked frantically, unsure of what he just saw, and decided it was just lack of sleep that caused him to see things. "The lighting down here is just playing tricks, that's all."

With a swift kick to the bars, Bartholomew caused Lucia to back off and left, ordering the guards to keep a close watch on her. She watched him leave with murder in her eyes and sighed out the stress built up in her chest. With nothing to do before the trial, she slumped against the back wall and rested her head against the cold stone, drawing a leg up to rest her arm. It had been a while since she had to stay the night in such an uncomfortable place, even on the battlefield they were supplied with something soft to lay on. The last time she could remember...

It was probably twelve years ago, summer, but being in the north, snow still covered the kingdom. The only thing the season brought was less frequent and lighter snows with more sun throughout the days, enough that children could go out in a light long-sleeve and not risk frostbite. Lucia herself was in a simple short-sleeved shirt and pants, her hair only shoulder length at the time, and sat on a small wooden stool. In her lap she balanced an ornate breastplate currently acting as a perch for her arms which in turn were now pillows for her head. She slept rather soundly for someone in the cool, foul smelling armory and it surprised the knight who walked in enough to get a low chuckle. He tiptoed over to her and pulled up another stool to sit right in front of his squire. Taking the polishing cloth she had dropped on the floor, he slapped her face with it and watched her jolt away rather violently, nearly letting go of the armor. He put a hand on top of the breastplate in case it really did fall and shot her an inquiring eyebrow and smirk. "How am I suppose to joust tomorrow if my armor is covered in your drool?" Lucia blushed and grabbed the armor as she spun to put her back to him. She took another cloth from the table near her and went back to wiping the metal down. "Do not worry, Sir William, you will be the most dazzling knight at the competition tomorrow. Whether or not you will be the most skilled...that may be harder to guarantee."

|| bluh fluff, it blinds me ||
Soρhonisɓa

"The Astarte are as close to the throne as a noble house can get without actually sitting on it." Sophie said it simply, it wasn't a boast. "One of the four original grand houses established at the first founding of the empire, the Astarte have remained in power for countless generations, and have ever been staunch supporters of the royal family, the Didomese. True, we don't agree on all things, but the Astarte have worked with them to ensure the empire remains whole. Without our influence and diplomatic efforts, the infighting among the middle and petty houses would have torn apart the kingdoms long ago. We know who to pacify, and which houses to sow dissent between, to ensure they fight each other and not the throne."

Sophie paused for a moment, debating. She was here on a diplomatic espionage mission, here to play the great game of court politics. She couldn't afford to confide in anyone. But surely she could keep a friend. Sophie was lonely here. She had saved Alex to secure the girl into her service, yet she found a small piece of her regarded the Tinel with actual fondness.

"I'll give you more history later, for now I think some rest is in order, no?" She smiled warmly at the girl. "Let's head to the bathhouse and relax and celebrate. I know that several of the crown prince's cousins are visiting from the far west, they'll be thrilled to hear about how Dormer was embarrassed today at your trial."

(Hope that works to set up a time skip? I forget how long of a jump peeps were talking)

Dapper Explorer

5,500 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Friendly 100
  • Contributor 150
[ R O W A N ]

Ash attempted to talk to the guards that had picked him up but they seemed rather tight lipped so he awkwardly fell into silence until they reached Capital City in the wee hours of the morning. "Grammercy for bringing me thus far, I should go find my, er, friend..." But the guards did not stop their horses and they all continued up to the castle. Ash grew increasingly worried at both the silence and the fact that when he tried to say something, one of the guards had actually said "Silence!" very angrily. Before he knew it and without being able to explain himself he was bustled from one group to another until finally he ended up unceremoniously in a cell surrounded by criminals.

"Wait! But...what about Rowan!? Ah...pardon me..." His eyebrows bunched together and he pressed his back up against the bars as he realized he was not alone in the cell. "I am terribly sorry for the intrusion...I am certain it was a misunderstanding...I will be out of your way, uh, er, momentarily..."

[ A S H ]
[ R A N I M A D R I X ]

Once again, the half-dragon found himself at the gates of Capital City. And once again, he wore his worn, nearly patchwork cloak as his disguise. The anxiety he had felt no more than a few days prior during his previous visit paled in comparison to what he felt now. A small part of him wanted to run away, but he could feel some presence in his mind reassuring him that he isn't a coward. The feeling gave him strength, somehow. He breathed a heavy sigh, and approached. He couldn't make out the faces of the guards under their helmets, but from how they sounded, they seemed to be the same guards from last time.

"State your business." The guard commanded.

"I--I'm here to see Odier. I... hope to repay him for helping my father a few days ago."

"Oh. It's you. Yes, he DID mention something about expecting someone soon." The guard seemed just as cold now as he was before. "Fine, go on in. You know the drill; Keep your eyes down, and speak to no one else."

Ranimadrix nodded, and proceeded through the gates, following the same path from before. He made his way back to the old man's office, somewhat expecting to find him there. He reached up, and gently knocked on the door, waiting patiently for a response.

Fashionable Raider

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Full closet 200
User Image

Before the sun even peeked over the mountain range to the north of the Capitol, Lucia was rudely awakened by Bartholomew who personally tied up her wrists behind her back and escorted the woman to the parliament building. Unlike the morning before, the room was empty except for a single judge sitting up at the stand, a stern expression glowering down at her. "Lucia Halacre, you have been accused of treason for stealing the royal crown. How do you plead?" Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion and surprise, "We're starting? Do I not have anyone to defend me? Other judges?"
                                            "This is an internal affair. It would be best to keep this hidden while we figure out a way to deal with it without tainting the Royal Family's reputation. The less people who know about this, the easier it will be to control the flow of information. But enough of this chattering; do you plead guilty?"
                                            "Of course not! What makes you think I, the captain sworn to protect the crown, would steal it!?"
                                            "The note and gold found in your room is clear indication of a bribe."
                                            "Who in their right mind would risk their own life for a handful of gold?"
                                            "A woman, apparently," Bartholomew chimed in, receiving a glare from the judge for interrupting.
                                            "It is so clear someone is framing me! Why can you not see that!?"
                                            The judge sighed and put his hands together on the table, thinking. After a long silence, another sigh escaped him. "Due to your position in this castle, Lucia, I will bring this matter to the queen and let her decide, especially since she was the one who chose you to be captain. For now, you will be kept down in the cells and Lieutenant Bartholomew will be appointed as temporary captain."
                                            "Temporary?"
                                            "I wish you the best of luck." The judge gestured for them to take her away and left himself, leaving Lucia in awe at the sheer pointlessness of the trial, if you could even call it that. They dragged her back down to the prisons and into her previous cell with Bartholomew taunting her in front of the bars again, but this at a good arm's length of distance away. "How does it feel to lose the captain title, little girl? To be honest, it never fit you very well. On me, it just sounds good: Captain Bartholomew." He walked away, saying his new, temporary title over and over, and left Lucia to her little space against the back wall again.

She sat there in an odd daze, not sure what to think about with her thoughts scattered all over the place. With how quick the old man had been to judge her on just that bit of evidence, she had no doubts she would be executed in the afternoon. They weren't short on leaders for the guards with Bartholomew taking over instantly, and she was certainly not a descendent of noble blood, so she found no reason for them to want to keep her. Even if they deemed her innocent, there was a chance this could get out and she would be known as the possible traitor. For the queen to have someone like that under her could prove disastrous in keeping the trust of her people.

|| Not really done, will revise in the morning

Written to: Casette ||

Quotable Hunter

6,050 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Full closet 200
|alexandra| T i n e l

Alex stretched out her arms and gave a great big yawn. She was in her bed, and for once, she felt well rested. She blinked open her eyes and was momentarily blinded by the sun that was streaming through her window.
A wistful sigh.
If only you were here to experience the castle with me... she thought sadly. As stressful as the last few days were, a lot of good had taken place to counter-act the bad. The handmaiden blushed as she remembered meeting the prince's cousins yesterday with Sophie. How one of them had bent and kissed her hand. She shook her head in embarrassment, stopping the memory short.

Moments later she was out the door patting down her dress when she heard someone calling her name.
"Alex! Alex!"

The girl turned her head over to the right, and saw the coal boy pelting down the hallway at her. She nervously glanced around for any witnesses. It was suspicious when a noble was found to be conversing with the lower tier of the castle staff. History of planned assassinations and misdeeds had deemed it so. Alex put a finger to her lips and beckoned the boy into her room.

She carefully closed the door behind them, then turned to face the boy.
"Okay, what is it?"

"Urgent news." He whispered intensely, "They have pinned the stolen jewelry on someone else instead. You're safe now."

Alex gave a small gasp, "Who else could they have pinned it on?" She worriedly thought that her friend the thief had actually been caught.

The boy gave a small pause before answering, "Word says that it was the Captain, but you didn't hear it from me"

Alex's eyes widened, her mouth gaping.

The boy took her shock as a positive reaction. "Just wanted to let you know Miss. You seem unlike the other nobles, treatin me like an equal and all." He gave a deft nod and began to make his way out her door.

"Wait!" She called out, grabbing the end of his sleeve. The boy stopped, and turned expectantly.

"Where is she now? Take me to her."

------

Alex was now approaching the guards in front of the dungeon hesitantly. She already knew this was a bad idea, but her feet could not stop moving her forward.
The guards loomed over her small frame.

"State your business." one of them said, "Back so soon Alexandra?" the other chortled.

"I would like to...to visit Lucia? In her cell?" she asked in a small voice, realizing that she was simply taking a coal boy's word for it that the Captain was in there.

"Ah, so you've heard the news. Surprised you didn't come here sooner." One of the guards answered, causing the other to chuckle.

"She's inside, last cell, on the right. Watch your back in there, the vermins like to reach out."

Alex gave a slow nod, and walked inside, her heart racing. When she reached the aforementioned cell, the handmaiden indeed, saw the Captain inside.

"Lucia? Is that you?"

|annabelle| D o r m e r

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas