Welcome to Gaia! ::

What Do I need?

I have
-Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook
-pathfinder bestiary 1/3/4 [Can't find 2 T^T]
-I heard you might need a scenario so I got the "godsmouth Heresy" but browsing through the thing I didn't like the setting, so i guess I'll just use it as a reference.
-Roll20
-2 maybe 3 players [all just like me first timers]

Why Am I doing This?
well I have come across the Core rulebook and the pathfinder beastiars so a few of my friends and I decided to give it a try. Like stated in the beginning we're all beginners and none of us have experience.

Current Questions That I have:

Suggest some monsters that my players might face [and if they're in the bestiary book please include the page number and edition if able (i'll try my best to see if i can find book 2). I would imagine the monsters my players would face would be undead things [beings that were tortured to death by the cult of Zon-Kuthon] things found in dirty places and swamps, like your hags and the mushroom people. and I guess the occasional aquatic beats, maybe i'll have a side quest about merfolk.

All my players will start from scratch I'm assuming this is level 1 [I'm still ready the rule book atm] so how do I determine rewards and monsters that my players might face. how much is too much? [I want the game to be challenging but I don't want it to be impossible]

Suggest some names, you don't have to follow my current theme.

Story I have so Far:

The Land of Sal-Ad:

The main setting of the campaign, The land of Sal-Ad is a large landbridge connecting the northern empire of Spie to the southern empire of Ghetti. Because of Sal-Ad's location and history, currently the land are devoid of resources and almost barren, only able to sustain the few towns along the river and even fewer cities.

History: Long ago the southern empire of ghetti [which consists of orcs, humans, and dwarves] in their constant bid for resources to sustain their empire advanced northward in hopes of untapped resources. The land bridge known as Sal-Ad was the only way for the people of Ghetti to cross into the north. At the time the land of Sal-Ad was only an uncharted area, although much like it is today, due to it's location it was devoid of usable resources, but it was a relatively safe passage for the people of ghetti to cross. Once they have cross, the people of ghetti has come across the northern lands brimming with forests and other untapped resources which aren't found in the semi-baren plain like lands of the souther Ghetti. Little did the people of ghetti realize these lands are already claimed by the empire of Spie which contains the nature folk [elves, gnomes, (and halflings although they do not take part in either sides). Due to this a great war broke out, with the empire of spie pushed the ghetti all the way back across the land bridge of Sal-Ad. At this point a stalemate was held until decades later a truce was finally made creating the shared lands we know today as Sal-Ad. As time went on and both empires began to trade with one another the lands of Sal-Ad flourished with buisness. Small towns and Great cities sprung up along the sole river that connects the two empires. This golden age was not to last, as centuries goes by the already limited resources of Sal-Ad dwindled even more, the people constantly relying on the trades of the two nation for food and supplies. Slowly the great body of water to the west began to recede forming the swamp we know today as the "thousand island swamp". Even trades begun dwindle as both nations advanced in areas of science and technology making travel easier, faster, and safer than crossing Sal-Ad. Sal-Ad we know today is baren almost devoid of resources with many ruins and ghosts towns dotting the side of it's sole river. The Land today is home of forgotten evil, outlaws, explorers, those looking for adventure, and other outcasts that won't be able to fit in society.

Noteable landmasses

Thousand Island Swamp: due to the uneven land to west, when the large body of water begun to recede a large amount of water got trapped forming the uneven "islands" we see today. some islands could hold entire cities while others are so small even a person is unable to stand. The water levels in these areas are also uneven some being mere buddles while others are so deep the bottom couldn't be imagined let alone seen.

[river] In the center of this land mass is a single river that connects both empires together. As like most natural barriers the river varies in depth and width, but in most cases if you were to squint really really hard you're more than likely able to see the other side. It is along this river where the trade ships of old sailed up and down with their wares, Stopping along the towns the sprung up on the coast of the river. The current of the river for most part is barely moving and the wind rarely blows making river travel slow and tedious yet still faster than that by land. Due to the slow nature of the wind, the river is teeming with carnivorous sea creatures and bacteria, so it's unadvised for someone to swim in.

Desert of Ra: located to the east before the great mountain ranges is a vast dessert inhabbited by the hardy desert men. Little goes on here [maybe throw in a side quest here and there but i would prefer my players to stay on the west side of the river.

The Starting town of Quetons: a sleepy town with a small enough population that people know of one another, maybe not on a name bases but small enough where everyone has seen each others faces before. The town is farther south along the river towards the southern empire and because of this they occasionally still get trades with the empire of Ghetti. It is here where I plan to have my players start.

Characters:

Tom of the house of Atoes Tom appears to be an old wise man with white hair and a long white beard. [you know your stereotypical wise man, think saruman rather than gandalf] Tom is the main quest giver. He saves the players from their impending doom when the town of Quetons is attacked by teleporting the players away. Tom then teleports the players back to the town after it's been destroyed and sends them on their quest to rescue the people of Queton. But secretly tom is trying to get the players to obtain the ancient amulet of Kar-Rot so that he can use it's power in his attempt to ascend to godhood. [but my characters dont know that]

[Final Boss of the campaign] Since I'm not a player, yet I still want to a cleric I've decided to make the final boss a cleric who is a follower of Zon-Kuthon. He is the leader of the Zon-Kuthon cult based in the guilded city of [____] which will be the final destination for the campaign. It is because of this cleric and his followers that the people of Quetons are kidnapped [along with others] to be slowly tortured as prayer to Zon-Kuthon. He is also the current owner of the ancient amulet of Kar-rot yet he doesn't know what it really is and simply believes that it's an artifact of his patron diety zon.

Key Items

Ancient Amulet of Kar-Rot: As of now i'm not sure what it would do, but I think it should follow along the lines of granting a strong boost in magic to those who wield it. It's currently weilded by the final boss, and is secretly sought after by Tom of the house of Atoes. the player doesn't know about this item yet. [maybe when they fight the final boss they may feel something is up]

inspiration:

If people haven't noticed by now the names are heavily inspired by food lol I thought that since it's the first session the game could have a little bit of humor in it.

Shadowy Cultist

8,700 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
I have a guild where we can do play by post. And i'd be willing to play If not me then i am sure other would be as well. biggrin
Blue koopa shell
I have a guild where we can do play by post. And i'd be willing to play If not me then i am sure other would be as well. biggrin
I'm sorry but I'm a tad shy so I don't think I'm up to playing with others outside of my circle of friends atm, but thanks for the invite. I'll be sure to check out your guild though for tips and pointers.

Shadowy Cultist

8,700 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
No problem But if i may ask. Why advertise for player (as it seem to be) if your shy?
Blue koopa shell
No problem But if i may ask. Why advertise for player (as it seem to be) if your shy?
oh I already have players, I'm just throwing my ideas out there since this is my first time dming/playing pathfinder, and i was curious what advice people might give me along with ideas or problems i might face

Kiyasama's Husband

Each Bestiary has an appendix for monster by terrain types. If you the books in pdf form, you can quickly ctrl-f the monsters in those sections to find them.

Terrain Types appendix for River and Swamp roughly:
Bestiary 1 pg 320
Bestiary 3 pg 316
Bestiary 4 pg 316
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Useful general resource for Pathfinder. For the encounters, the rule of thumb is this. A party of four characters of Level X should roughly be a match for one encounter worth CR (Challenge Rating) X.

If you want it to be easy, subtract 1 if possible (of course it won't be at level 1.) If you want it to be hard, add 1 or 2. If it's the final boss of an arc and you want it to be crazy, add 3.

For level 1 characters, you can use small groups of creatures with less than CR 1; just get them to add up to 1. (For example, two human zombies, each being CR 1/2.)

After that, http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering can provide some guidelines. 3nodding

------

As for loot, don't always make it gold. Just use the suggested treasure values, and make stuff up. Maybe there's a beat-up candlestick worth 20 gold if a player can get it fixed up, fine (or warm) clothes imported from the eastern Duchy of Tuvibel, weapons, etc.

If the party encounters a gnoll leading goblins, maybe the gnoll will be wearing the Ring of Protection +1 from the magical loot, and has the Scroll of Cure Serious Wounds in her lockbox for just in case she survives a rough encounter. Create your loot ahead of time, and let enemies use stuff if it makes sense.

-------

As for what to encounter? If you want undead, keep it to skeletons and zombies at first. They're pretty basic undead, and can help get you and the players used to the common Damage Reduction mechanic: skeletons resist damage that isn't from bashing weapons like maces, while zombies resist damage that isn't from slashing weapons like longswords.

https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/skeleton-medium Skeleton

https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/zombie Zombie

https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/bestiary/-bestiary-by-terrain/-bestiary-terrain-swamp-marsh Swamp creatures in general, but be careful as this list isn't CR-sorted. You don't want your first level characters facing the Tarn Linnorm, a legendary swamp dragon...
If you want my advice from my 16 years of playing D&D...
(and then Pathfinder)
if you're new to the game,
just strait up don't GM.
Find someone who is experienced at these games to GM.

It will only be frustrating for you and your players.
But I'm just summarizing.
Tabasco Jones
If you want my advice from my 16 years of playing D&D...
(and then Pathfinder)
if you're new to the game,
just strait up don't GM.

It will only be frustrating for you and your players.
But I'm just summarizing.

I'll voice a complete disagreement with that statement.

1. There are enough internet resources nowadays - including watching people run sessions on YT (or asking us here!) - to where new players (and GMs) can pick it up fairly readily.

2. As it's a group of friends playing, bringing in a stranger will change the group dynamic in unpredictable ways - which isn't worth the risk at all, given the first point.

Original Player

10,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Tabasco Jones
If you want my advice from my 16 years of playing D&D... (and then Pathfinder) if you're new to the game, just strait up don't GM.

It will only be frustrating for you and your players. But I'm just summarizing.

While it is recommended that new players learn from old players, its not always going to happen. Could be for a variety of reasons, such as groups not allowing them into a game.
Angelic Clover
What Do I need?

Time, Effort, Energy.

The most important thing for any RPG is that you keep the game rolling. Once this goes, the entire game goes. Make up rules, adjust difficult, fudge things. As long as you and your players are engaged with the game and having fun, everything else will fall into place. Show up and know who's showing up. Know when to just not play or play something else.

The second most important thing for any RPG is that you and your players are engaged with the game. I know I just said this but its one of the things that underline the previous point. As you play, you figure out what you need to know and what makes the game fun for you. What you're going to have to figure out / understand is that players seek their own versions of that. Making that compatible is what defines a DM/GM skill.
Thanks for the advices everyone so far. Helped alot. [friends and I are reading the core rule books together and taking everything in steps >.< I like to call it nightly story time lol]

So far all my players have:

-chosen their race
-rolled for their base stats [str/int/wis/chr/con/dex]
-picked their starting class
-allocating their skill ranks
-each person has picked a feat
-and they have determined their starting hp.

[we have a gnome rogue, a half-elf monk, and an elvish scorcerer]

I think i've done a pretty good job. and we all have great fun doing so

next off is to read up and try to understand combat, figure out skills and spells, then starting equipment. after all we should be ready xD

questions I have so far

correct me if I'm way off but but lets say that one of my players are good at arcane knowledge and the group has encountered a spell book and they all wish to read it. so everyone rolls their normal int roll, but because one of the players put skills in arcane knowledge they will use that modifier instead?

-as a rule of thumb what would determine the difficulty of said action.
Angelic Clover

correct me if I'm way off but but lets say that one of my players are good at arcane knowledge and the group has encountered a spell book and they all wish to read it. so everyone rolls their normal int roll, but because one of the players put skills in arcane knowledge they will use that modifier instead?

All about spellbooks and scrolls!

Not too far off. Here's the correction.

1. The skill used is Spellcraft (Int,) not Knowledge: Arcane (Int.)

2. People who don't have skills in Spellcraft can't even try, because Spellcraft doesn't allow untrained checks.
(Nor do Knowledge checks for that matter.)

3. The check to understand is a Spellcraft roll against (20 + spell level), but your Sorcerer can use Read Magic (if she has it; it's a cantrip spell) to pass the check.

4. Passing the check a few times will let her know what spells are in the book. If there's anything weird (like new spells you made up,) you can decide whether she's allowed to choose them as new Spells Known when she levels up.

5. Otherwise, the party wouldn't have much use for it; so they can sell it or donate it or suchlike. To get the gold value of each spell, use 5n^2, where n is the spell level.

-----

For a lot of common situations, the Core Rulebook has the various difficulties that you need. 3nodding
Sandokiri
Angelic Clover

All about spellbooks and scrolls!

Not too far off. Here's the correction.

1. The skill used is Spellcraft (Int,) not Knowledge: Arcane (Int.)

2. People who don't have skills in Spellcraft can't even try, because Spellcraft doesn't allow untrained checks.
(Nor do Knowledge checks for that matter.)

3. The check to understand is a Spellcraft roll against (20 + spell level), but your Sorcerer can use Read Magic (if she has it; it's a cantrip spell) to pass the check.

4. Passing the check a few times will let her know what spells are in the book. If there's anything weird (like new spells you made up,) you can decide whether she's allowed to choose them as new Spells Known when she levels up.

5. Otherwise, the party wouldn't have much use for it; so they can sell it or donate it or suchlike. To get the gold value of each spell, use 5n^2, where n is the spell level.

-----

For a lot of common situations, the Core Rulebook has the various difficulties that you need. 3nodding

thanks, for some reason d20 is alot easier to read than the core rule book [maybe it's because i'm distracted by all the pretty pictures xD]
Spells and Abilities

Once again, Just checking if I'm doing this correctly

Lets say I have a wisdom of 20 on my cleric

this means by default I get:

0 0 level spell
2 1st level spells
1 2nd level spell
1 3rd level spell
1 4th level spell
1 5th level spell

Just from my wisdom modifier alone

the clerics get at level 1 get:

3 level 0 spells
1[+1] spell [the plus 1 means i can only use that for a spell within my domain right? so if i was to some how learn a spell that's not in my domain I won't be able to use it in the +1 slot]

so in total I have:

3 level 0 spells
3+1 level 1 spells
1 level 2 spell
1 level 3 spell
1 level 4 spell
1 level 5 spell.

and to be able to cast said spells I must have [10 + level of spell] wisdom, but since my base wis is 20 I can cast every spell o-o? [at least the ones i can prepare per day, which I'm assuming is the numbers I've listed above?]

then because I chose for my cleric's diety to be zon-kurthon, I have access to both the darkness and death domain.

then for having these two domains I automatically know these spells?

darkness:
Domain Spells: 1st—obscuring mist, 2nd—blindness/
deafness (only to cause blindness), 3rd—deeper darkness,
4th—shadow conjuration, 5th—summon monster V (summons
1d3 shadows), 6th—shadow walk, 7th—power

Death:
Domain Spells: 1st—cause fear, 2nd—death knell, 3rd—animate
dead, 4th—death ward, 5th—slay living, 6th—create undead, 7th—
destruction, 8th—create greater undead, 9th—wail of the banshee.

so right off the bat, a standard game day i can have a spell arsenal like this?

3 [level 0 spells, don't know them, but level 0 spells can be cast as many times as a player wishes?]

4 level 1 spells so something like
3x cause fear
1x obscuring mist

1 level 2 spell so
1x death kneel

1 level 3 spell
1x animate dead

1 level 4 spell
1x shadow conjuration

1 level 5 spell
1x summon monster

and those are all the spells I can cast before I have to rest for 8 hours to recharge?

and using the same spells prepared, if you're in a battle and you've noticed that maybe slay living might be more useful than summon monster, but because I didn't prepare it for the day, I can't cast it?

maybe I'm totally off but these spell caster classes look a whole lot more overpowered o-o? with a good roll, I have access to all these spells right off the bat.

also taking you guys advice and decided to step out of my social comfort and join an online campaign, I've applied to one on roll20 that's going to start tomorrow not sure if i'm accepted yet though] Either way, even though the roll20 option for accepting new players is turned on alot of the sessions feel pretty daunting seeing as most of the applicants for said sessions seems to have some role playing experience. [I wish i can play in real life, but I don't know anyone, and dnd day at my local store is often on days when I am busy]
Angelic Clover
Spells and Abilities

Once again, Just checking if I'm doing this correctly

Lets say I have a wisdom of 20 on my cleric

this means by default I get:

0 0 level spell
2 1st level spells
1 2nd level spell
1 3rd level spell
1 4th level spell
1 5th level spell

Just from my wisdom modifier alone

the clerics get at level 1 get:

3 level 0 spells
1[+1] spell [the plus 1 means i can only use that for a spell within my domain right? so if i was to some how learn a spell that's not in my domain I won't be able to use it in the +1 slot]

The (+1) has to be from either of your Domain lists, yes.

Quote:
so in total I have:

3 level 0 spells
3+1 level 1 spells
1 level 2 spell
1 level 3 spell
1 level 4 spell
1 level 5 spell.

No. You don't get bonus spells off your Wisdom, if you don't yet have that spell-level off your class. So in total your level 1 cleric of Wis 20 has:

3 L0 spells (orisons)
3 L1 spells, and 1 L1 Domain spell.

At level 3, you'll gain your first base L2 spells; at that point, you'll also gain the extra one off your Wisdom.

Quote:
and to be able to cast said spells I must have [10 + level of spell] wisdom, but since my base wis is 20 I can cast every spell o-o? [at least the ones i can prepare per day, which I'm assuming is the numbers I've listed above?]

Yes, at 20 Wisdom, your Wisdom stat is good enough for every spell level.

Quote:
then because I chose for my cleric's diety to be zon-kurthon, I have access to both the darkness and death domain.

then for having these two domains I automatically know these spells?

darkness:
Domain Spells: 1st—obscuring mist, 2nd—blindness/
deafness (only to cause blindness), 3rd—deeper darkness,
4th—shadow conjuration, 5th—summon monster V (summons
1d3 shadows), 6th—shadow walk, 7th—power

Death:
Domain Spells: 1st—cause fear, 2nd—death knell, 3rd—animate
dead, 4th—death ward, 5th—slay living, 6th—create undead, 7th—
destruction, 8th—create greater undead, 9th—wail of the banshee.

so right off the bat, a standard game day i can have a spell arsenal like this?

3 [level 0 spells, don't know them, but level 0 spells can be cast as many times as a player wishes?]

4 level 1 spells so something like
3x cause fear
1x obscuring mist

Full stop here. That's what you get at first level. ^^

Just to be clear about what each type of caster knows and can do.

1. Clerics:

-Know every spell on their spell list, of a spell-level that their cleric-level allows them to cast.
-Prepare spells into the casting slots.
-May use a prepared spell to cast a Cure Wounds (if their Channelling ability is positive energy) or an Inflict Wounds (if negative; hint, yours is negative) of the same spell-level.

2. Druids:
-Know every spell on their spell list, of a spell-level that their druid-level allows them to cast.
-Prepare spells.
-May use a prepared spell to cast a Summon Nature's Ally of the same spell-level.

3. Paladins and rangers:
-When they can cast, they know every spell on their spell list, of a spell-level that their class-level allows them to cast.
-Prepare spells.

4. Wizards:
-Know every spell they have successfully learned.
-Prepare spells, but must have a written copy of the spells being prepared (usually, their own spellbooks.)

5. Sorcerers and bards:
-Know every spell they have chosen to know (until they choose to forget it, a swapping option they get at certain class-levels.)
-Do NOT prepare spells, but work like Final Fantasy 1 and Final Fantasy 3 where they get a certain number of casts of each level, and may choose any spell of that level for each casting.

Quote:
and those are all the spells I can cast before I have to rest for 8 hours to recharge?

Yes, you need 8 hours of rest, plus a certain amount of time just after the rest, in order to "reload" you casting slots.

For classes that prepare spells, it's roughly the percentage of spell levels you need to reload, x 1 hour (so 30 minutes for half of them.) Minimum is 15 minutes; just saying 1 hour is safe.

For classes that don't prepare spells, it's always 15 minutes.

Quote:
and using the same spells prepared, if you're in a battle and you've noticed that maybe slay living might be more useful than summon monster, but because I didn't prepare it for the day, I can't cast it?

Correct. That's the disadvantage of having to prepare.

Quote:
maybe I'm totally off but these spell caster classes look a whole lot more overpowered o-o? with a good roll, I have access to all these spells right off the bat.

At low levels, not so much; but yeah, once they get into some of their crazier options, they can get pretty wild.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff