Total Votes:[ 7 ]
< 1 2 3

Bashful Zealot

13,850 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
User Image

The devil's in the sails of that there phantom ship...

ωнєяє: Showers > Captain’s Quarters』 『ωιтн: Fife > Alex』 『мσσɗ: Barely contained rage』

The morning had not gone well for Titus.

To be fair, mornings rarely did, these days, especially with the way his evening routine had slipped so heavily into drink that it pushed the bounds of what a hangover should be allowed to be. This morning, though - not only did he feel like he might be simultaneously drunk and hungover, he had been woken up at four in the goddamned morning by [******** Fife on that dickhead Alex’s orders. There was a time, in the Resistance, where a lieutenant would be treated with some respect, he thought, irritably, staring at himself in the mirror and slapping the side of his chin. He was going to have to shave properly, now - none of his usual “shave half the face, nick yourself too many times, give up and take a pair of scissors to the other side” routine. He stared at the razor in his hands with a meaningful glare, just to let it know that not only had it let him down, but it was also going to disappoint everyone it had ever loved, and possibly all other related textiles made in the same factory as it had been. He wasn’t even sure it was intended for shaving a face. It was pink.

He had spent the morning being forced - practically at gunpoint - to take a shower. Titus complained that he’d already had his shower that year, and he still had some of the burn scars from the lye soap he used to prove it, but Fife was…insistent. Apparently, burning skin off “didn’t count” as “washing”, because at the end of the day Titus was “just standing under some water” and “still smelled like the back end of a sewer, pardon my French”. The French went unpardoned. Titus, for his part, released some good old-fashioned Russian against the locked door, but other than release some tension in his pounding head, this had accomplished nothing. He was locked in until he was clean.

It took Titus a couple tries, mostly because he had never, to his knowledge, “properly cleaned himself” before. He remembered vaguely that upon his first arrival in the Resistance, an older woman had scrubbed him from ankle to widow’s peak, but he couldn’t really remember the right way around the eight million bottles littering the inside of the shower. He read over the instructions as thoroughly as he could, but generally found himself at a loss. He would announce himself clean, only to have Fife tell him that, um, no, he wasn’t, sir. Get some pointers. Step back into the shower. Rinse. Repeat. The hot water ran out by maybe his third try, which was about when the grease in his hair gave out to hard-scrubbing fingers, and more than two decades of dirt and dried blood that had been caked into his scalp began to liquefy, pour down his neck and shoulders. If he’d had any concept of “gross”, that might’ve counted as it. His fourth try had included such tasks as “brushing his goddamn teeth / hair” and “yes, you have to clean your feet as well, I know they’re going to be in shoes, just clean them, sir”. And now…this. Shaving.

Trying to shave while drunk and hungover was practically impossible. He could barely manage it when it was one or the other - both at once was an exhaustive task that took a solid twenty minutes to complete. But complete it he did - and when he was done, he stared at himself intently in the mirror. He looked…well. He looked like an entirely different person. His scars, undisguised by the dirt, stood out brightly against the paler skin of his face, but he also looked younger. The man in the mirror was the sort of person Titus would give a kick in the a** to on recruitment day. Thoughtlessly, he reached back to re-braid his hair, chewed on his lower lip. Clothes. Definitely, he could use some clothes.

Fife didn’t help his own case by trotting into the bathroom and staring in apparent awe. Titus glared back, but he suspected that it lacked its usual menace. “Fife. Clothes,” he snapped, in case his point hadn’t been made clearly enough.

Sir…you’re so…

Fife, I will kill you. Clothes. Now.” Thankfully, that was all it took. Fife broke himself out of his own reverie and passed Titus the (now unfortunately clean) bundle of clothes he’d been carrying, and in a moment of furious efficiency, Titus set about covering his naked - clean - body as immediately as physically possible. “Go tell your captain that I’ll be there within the hour,” he managed through clenched teeth.

Walking down the hallways was the hardest part, honestly. Where his subordinates normally flinched at his approach and drew back in awe or terror, they now failed to react to him at all. Without the dirt - and, by extension, the stench - Titus was apparently unrecognizable to the majority of the Resistance. Beyond the humiliation of being locked in a bathroom for two hours, beyond the terrible smell of the soaps drowning his senses out (apple crisp? Clean laundry?), the loss of recognition, of respect - that was the worst thing. By the time he reached Alex’s room, he was fairly certain there was steam pouring out of his ears. He gave a crisp rap on the door, waited for a response, hurled the door open with the force he couldn’t make himself contain.

I have never wanted anyone dead so intently as I want you dead in this moment, he thought to himself, staring his boss down, I will kill you one day. I will kill you. And when I kill you, I will have killed you for this. You are worth nothing more than a corpse. But what he said was, “Sir? You called for me?” It was important to be polite to superiors. Even when you wanted them dead.

You'd better hold fast...

Genius

User Image
    User Image

By eight, Kane was already wide awake. Living alone had its perks; no one ever questioned if he showed up at six in the morning and slept for only an hour before waking back up again, doing a few lines and getting back out onto the street to do whatever the ******** it was that kept Kane busy these days. Today, it would be the brat's birthday. The prison baby was turning twenty, and for some reason, the rest of the HUB had to care. Kane, for some reason or another, did indeed care...about what everyone else was going to be doing during this momentous occasion. By the time he'd reached his first appointment he was already high as a ******** kite during a tropical storm.

Kane stood on the outside alleyway of Amara's apartment, the pollen in the air making his eyes a little watery. The Rose District was annoying enough with all the smells, the pollen he could very well do without. It was common practice for Kane, after a number of years living on the HUB and knowing the ins and outs of most of the districts below the third tier, to always remain unseen if he could help it. Surprise was part of his appeal, part of what made his business of intel so successful. Sure, what he'd do with the information was anyone else's guess, but information around the HUB was one of the most sought after valuables in existence. Under drugs, of course, but that's why Sora and his associates were so god damned successful despite their horrible work ethic.

~~~

"Amara, darling, do wake up," said Kane, he stood in the middle of the woman's bedroom, her body sprawled over the mattress next to a man he knew too well, but she likely had never met prior to whatever adventures she was involved in the night before. Amara was one of Kane's more...fast and furious associates, but a valuable one nonetheless. "I've got ten appointments today and you're the first on my list. Consider yourself lucky, if I were my first appointment I'd be jumping for-- Amara, are you listening? Wake up you hag," Kane slapped her cheeks with a gloved hand, trying to stay a far enough distance away so that, if she tried anything weird upon waking up, he'd be safe from her grasp. Aside from Sybil, Amara was Kane's closest associate in the Resistance, and anyone in the Resistance was worth dropping in on any day of the week, let alone on a day as...important...as today.

Letting out an exaggerated sigh, he took his phone from his front pocket and sent a quick message to Riku (whose code name in his phone was "Rooster", as everyone in his phone had an animal code name, completely unironically), hoping that the obnoxious sound of the touch keyboard would wake the sleeping convict.

To: Rooster User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
                                                  are u up? i'll b @ ur place in a bit either way.

__________________________________________________________
                                                  in amara's apartment with sleeping amara feeling irritated, bored
                                                  outfit

l3onerific's Wife

Shirtless Businesswoman

User ImageUser Image

Mood: Tired
                                                      Company: Ed, Raine

▄ ▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ▄ ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ▄▄▄

Lancelot threw Ed a tired smirk, relaxing his shoulders a bit as the camera-men buzzed away. "Come on, Ed. You know the answer to that one already." The speech had been prepared days before, rehearsed every time Lancelot used the toilet. He was a plan-oriented man, and he absolutely despised the feeling of being underprepared for something.

Speaking of preparations... "Ed, I've got the memos for the districts ready to go out. Could you get them to Riku and let her know that their dissemination is rather urgent. And if you could make sure she sends them to the right districts..." He trailed off, checking his phone as it buzzed to life. Apparently one of the balloon vendors had inflated 5000 orange balloons instead of teal. Jesus, had people completely lost touch with the meaning of the phrase "emergencies only."

Rubbing the bridge of his nose, Lancelot took a moment to reorganize his thoughts. As much as he hoped to improve HUB-wide morale today, the ordeal was definitely taking its toll. "You know sometimes I forget why we do all this." The word "we" rolled off his tongue subconsciously, as if they were both the president and had both decided to throw his daughter a party. "Kids are reckless and stupid, but here I am throwing years of my life out the window to do some good for her." It was important, of course. Kaori would be the next president, once he retired or was killed off. She was the backup plan, of course, to carry on his legacy in policy and blood. If he didn't give her the right upbringing, his entire bloodline would crumble. Well, at least the bloodline he knew about. When it came to women there were very few who could take Lancelot's attention away from his work. Those who could, he could count on one hand, and he knew of only one who bore a child.

Ok- right. What was next on the agenda- oh of course. Raine. "Ed, I'll handle Miss Raine today. But those memos are a priority- I'll see you shortly. And Ed- thanks." He dismissed Ed, knowing full well that he'd rather his dear friend not hear what might be exchanged. Few people could test Lancelot's patience so easily as Raine, and even fewer were ambitious enough to turn it into such a passionate hobby. Back in his office sat the venemous vixen, sipping at her tea so casually that one might imagine she'd just come back from a summer's stroll in the gardens instead of a physical altercation with a coworker. Holding back his seemingly infinite supply of sighs, Lancelot took a seat. His chair was tall, but his posture kept him from appearing small. He commanded the area around the desk, thirty years on the thrown giving him plenty of time to perfect the room's fung shwei. "Good morning, Raine."

He pulled open one of his drawers, flipping through files until his fingers landed upon the envelope. Some staff members found his system a little archaic, but paper had not lost all of its uses. It was the most secure container for information these days, and also the most personal. Sliding the envelope over to Raine, he gave her the firmest look he could muster, though even a fool could tell he was too preoccupied to actually be angry. "You'll deliver this to Mr. Henley personally." It was a handwritten apology (written by one of his actual secretaries), detailing the sincerest of remorses for (insert action here). It was vague enough to cover nearly anything she could have done, did not include any specific names, and was signed as "your dearest colleague." And that was the end of the matter.

"I have an assignment for you." He straightened his tie, though for some reason it just ended up more crooked than before without Ed there to help. Lancelot glanced to the she-witch's tea, then back into her golden eyes. She might have been beautiful if she weren't so vile. "This will be a highly publicized event, and I have no doubt that there will be those looking to take advantage of such a HUB-wide distraction." Truth be told, it was what he was hoping for. There was too much complacency on the HUB, and complacency meant nothing but stagnation and suffocation. But it was also his daughter's birthday party. "I know you have your... ways... and I'd like you to keep your eyes on the ground. If there is a problem, I want you to know about it and I want you to handle it, however you see fit. Do you understand?"
    User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
    User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

tab
            i LOCATION Emmer's Pad tab MOOD Baked
            tab
            tab COMPANY Echo tab HEALTH 100%

Well, that was it. Hopeless. Nothing to be done. Emmer was either experiencing the worst hangover the universe had ever cursed a kind soul with, was tripping far beyond cloud nine, or had died. There were no other terrible fates that Sora could surmise his dear friend had succumbed to, because there was no damn way that he was about to get his lazy a** off the couch to check the man's bedroom. It just, couldn't be done. Not while this here bowl was packed and ready to go, lighter in hand to match the hefty drags he pulled.

On the fifth inhale, he could have called himself set for the next couple of hours, but for good measure he finished with three more. At this point, Sora had become one with the couch, his skin entirely indistinguishable with the plush leather that he sat fused with. Maybe this new beast, half-man, half-couch could be called Sofa. Get it? Sora and Sofa? Sofa? That thought alone had him giggling to himself for a solid five minutes before his focus dwindled to a loss, which resulted in the automatic reaction to reach for the remote that had the television on.

Rather than cartoons like Sora had hoped for, it was just—that one guy, running through a speech that the stoner had quite some difficulty in following. He's got a daughter? Whose twenty!? What sort of desperate hag two decades ago felt desperate enough to hook up with a tatted up dino that ran the HUB? Who does that? Reeling back mentally as Sora further sunk inside the cushions of the couch, he further struggled. Whose birthday is it..? "Makers of our own fate"—damn that is deeeep. But this was, well—boring. A twitch had Sora reflexively skipping through channels, all ********' three of them, and each one only had the President running through his dialogue.

Why did Sora think there would be cartoons? He was in a goddamn prison ship floating through the abyss of space, of course there weren't any cartoons to watch—there hadn't been in years.

A blinking light of his phone dragged his gaze downward, where Sora took several attempts at striking his thumb across the surface to unlock it. Once accessed, it took him, admittedly, quite some time to soak up the meaning behind Echo's response. She would be there in twenty? How long had it been? While contemplating heavily, the rapping at the front door had become a notable distraction that stirred within him a slow agitation. Really. At this hour. That may have been something Sora could have said, but he slurred at the thought before rising to his feet to make his way across the living room floor.

Peep holes were for suckas.

A twist at the handle, the door came wrenched open, and Sora stared with what should have been the most blood-shot gaze if his sclera weren't already pitch black. The processing time was a delayed five seconds. "Heeeeyyy guuurl! C'mon!" Ushering the purple-haired lady inside, Sora knocked the door shut behind them with a backward kick and allowed Echo to graciously make herself at home. "Sooo, lissun. Emmer might be dead, but iunno."

He tossed all of his weight onto the couch, oozing into it before twitching when he realized that any kind smoker should and would share. All it took was a jerk back forward, practiced hands doing the work to load up a second bowl of his stuff before passing it amiably into his friend's hands. "I'm thinkin'okay, we loot his swanky s**t, maybe check back in a couple days to see if the place is all stank up." After waiting on Echo to take the green hit, because he's so gentlemanly, Sora continued with some vague swirling gestures of his hands. "Then I guess uhh, [********] who do you even call on this shithole about dead bodies?" Maybe there was a service for that.

tiffizzle OOC

Quotable Roisterer

User Image

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxAMARA THANDER

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxthe vandal

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/white]——————————————————————————————

Amara was hella asleep.

Like the 'quite possibly dead' kind of asleep. Take a log, cross it with a baby, and then fill that little baby up with alcohol and painkillers, and you might be somewhere within the zip code of Amara's stupor. She was little more than a lump sprawled out on the mattress next to her previous night's companion, lost amid a sea of pillows and blankets and clothing. But Kane, good old Kane, seemed to know just how to get to her. As usual.

The slap didn't bother her. Hell, with the amount of drugs she was on, it felt like someone trying to tickle her cheek with a feather. No, what reached her through the haze was a single word.

"hag"

Just who the hell did he think he was? To barge into her apartment like he owned the place and call her a hag?

'I'll show you a hag'

A pale-skinned arm shot out, trying to make a grab for the offending hand, but came up empty. Instinctively, the vandal twisted over violently, attempting a wider lunge with the other arm in an attempt to stop Kane in his cowardly, retreating tracks. It should have made her look cool and badass. You know, like a ninja or a goddamn kung fu master. Instead, she rolled off her mattress and went crashing to the floor in a heap, her dark hair and loose sheets the only things to cover her immodesty. She could practically hear his smug laughter already, rattling around her head and making her even more disgruntled, but her mind was sprinting ahead of her body. Amara's head rolled up towards the unwelcome intruder, thinking to give him a sharp threat. She wanted to tell him that if he slapped her again, she'd break his ******** wrist. What came out instead was:

[********]

Well, that would have to do.

The artificial light of the HUB's morning flooded painfully into her senses as Amara laboriously drew herself to her feet, grumbling unintelligibly the whole way. The vandal had never really been a morning person, and it showed as she flailed lethargically around the room, her face screwed up in disgust. Of course the drugs weren't helping anything either.

"How the ******** did you even get in here, anyway?!" the woman shrilled as she rummaged blindly around both bed and floor for clothing. Over both shoulders she tossed sheets, pillows, bottles, handfuls of pills. Whatever she couldn't wear was thrown away to some new place in the room.

"Coulda sworn I changed the lock...."

She mused, her voice dropping slightly as she tried to think back. But to no avail. Hell, she couldn't even remember last night. Although, in fairness, that wasn't exactly a new sensation. Spying an acceptable item of clothing, Amara stooped low to the ground to pull a pair of pants from the floor.

"And, oooo! Better question! Why are you here? And please let's not both pretend like I care about your ******** appointments, cupcake."

She slipped on a sock.

"By all means, put yourself on the top of the list with a note next to your own name that says [******** this guy'."

The vandal paused in the midst of her dressing to fix Kane with a bemused look.

"You.... did say something about an appointment list, right?"

But then again, who cared? Well, besides Kane. And she didn't give a s**t about him. She needed to find a shirt. And apparently another door lock. Because really, how hard was it to keep one red-eyed a*****e out of her apartment? Amara shook her head.

"Forget it. Just, uh.... maybe first tell me who that guy is. Because I don't even remember waking up yesterday. Let alone, ya know...."

Amara cast a glance around the apartment.

".... whatever the ******** happened here."

She indicated the room at large with a sweeping gesture, eventually alighting on the man splayed facedown on the mattress. She couldn't help but notice that he was remarkably still, despite the noise around him. He was far, far too still in fact. Reaching over, Amara gave him a prod with one hand. Nothing. Then she tried both hands, pushing a bit harder. Not even a twitch. Amara frowned, then balled her hand into a fist and plunged it unceremoniously right into the man's gut. A low grunt escaped the male as he flopped onto the ground and out of view. For a few moments, there was only silence in the room, and then music to her ears: a guttural, pained moaning from the floor.

"Ah, good. So he's not, ya know.... completely dead. But just in case, I have to assume you have a doctor or two in there....?"

She glanced at the phone in Kane's hand.

".... Or at least a nurse."

No response from Kane. And so she turned away.

Amara didn't even bother to look at either of them as she pulled on the rest of her clothes. Mostly black, to match her hair. Or her heart, depending on who you asked. Fully clothed, she fixed Kane with a stare, watching intently as he continued to tap away at his phone keyboard animatedly, boredom creeping slowly over her features. In her mind she had the thought to return the slap Kane had so graciously gifted her earlier, but thought better of it. It's not that she was scared of him, more that she just didn't want to deal with all the bitching. Especially this early in the morning. For his part, the Eye sure seemed comfortable, plopped down in a corner, tapping away busily on his phone. Just looking at him like this pissed her off.

"Hey, hey, hey."

She snapped her fingers towards the intruder.

"Eye-in-the-sky-with-pie. Tell me why you're here or ******** off. Preferably the second one."

——————————————————————————————
                                  location: her apartment xxxxxxxx with: kane, the worst houseguest ever conceived xxxxxxxx wearing: something now. xxxxxxxx

Bashful Zealot

13,850 Points
    • Partygoer 500
    • Perfect Attendance 400
    • Supreme Supporter 500
    User Image
          A man with M O O N L I G H T in his hands,
          Has N O T H I N G there at all --
          User Image

Unthinkingly, Ed rubbed at a tight knot in his neck as he accepted the memos from the president. Lancelot had always stressed the importance of having physical copies of everything, and Ed had no real complaints about it. He tucked the envelope under an arm, turned a watchful eye back to his boss.

Part of being Lancelot’s closest friend - and presumably the reason Ed had garnered the title - was listening to the releasing steam of a man under high pressure. Just being a pair of ears had made Ed one of the most important - though still underpaid - members of the president’s cabinet. In fact, really the only member of his cabinet. Actually, as far as he knew, there wasn’t really a cabinet for the president. There was just…him. “You’re doing the right thing,” he replied, voice gentle and soothing, “Kaori is learning very quickly, and I’m sure that in two, maybe three years, she’ll be prepared. Besides,” he smiled reassuringly, “she’s not just any kid. She’s your daughter."

Shortly after, they split their separate ways, and Ed was left wondering (as per usual, with the president) if he’d said the right thing, if he’d done the right thing, and exactly how fast the president’s tie was going to end up with the knot about an inch away from his collar. Perhaps Lance needed some kind of clip-on for a day, far in the future, where Ed would no longer be there. In fact, Ed wasn’t sure how his friend would get on for even a day without his assistance - no one to brush rubble off of his shoulders, to straighten his tie or flatten his lapels, to type up his dictations or - but he shook that off. Being sentimental about the future made no sense, and besides which, there wasn’t much he could do about it now. It was important to stay focused on the task at hand - and right now, the task was Ms. Shiomi. Ed wasn’t sure how he felt about the PR manager - on the one hand, it was nice to have someone competent in the office, who wasn't prone to hellish fits of violence. On the other hand, she seemed impossible to read most days. Where other politicians were very clearly underhanded snakes looking for the first open opportunity to poison the s**t out of each other for more power, Ms. Shiomi just did her job. Quietly. Ed supposed that was how other co-workers must see him, too, but brushed that off.

He swung by her office, tapped on the door three times, and prepared the memos for discussion. “Message from the president,” he intoned listlessly, “requesting permission to enter."

『ωнєяє: Outside Riku’s office』 『ωιтн: Lance > Riku』 『мσσɗ: Worn-out

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

There is no Dulcinea, she's made of F L A M E and air
        And yet how L O V E L Y life would seem,
        If every man could W E A V E a dream
        To keep him from D E S P A I R ...
    User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
    User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

LOCATION : Pimp Base: Lance's Office owl COMPANY : Lancelot owl MOOD : Nonchalant owl OOC : owl

The approaching steps—always heavy, with a sense of purpose—were the only telltale signs that Raine's solitude would be interrupted by the President himself. Her gaze hadn't lifted from the contents of her cup, gently tilted to her lips as she drew in cautious sips to guard her tongue from the heat. It wasn't until Lancelot had crossed the side of the room en route to his chair, did her auric hues trace his motions and remained lingering over him with the hints of a smile against the ceramic brim. There was no wealth of pleasure more tangible for Raine to enjoy than the restrained frustrations that bled through the President's face in the form of weary lines, the hard tick in his jaw, and—if she were lucky—a sharp glance where all the boiled rage rest beneath. But she had earned none of those today, drat!, thanks in part to.. perhaps some intense aromatherapy? some new masseuse? some guided meditation DVDs? Whatever it was, it was doing wonders to keep Lancelot's calm in check.

"A good morning, indeed," she purred cordially, some soothed beast with nary a remaining reason to brandish any claws; especially not to the hand that feeds. After another long, quiet sip, Raine reached to set her mug upon the edge of his desk—several papers needed to be moved aside, which she didn't mind moving herself—before leaning back cozily into her chair and fixing him with a stare. The envelope was one she had seen before, containing some insincere message of apology and signed with forgery. She had passed out somewhere between five and thirty; who was keeping count these days? In her beginning, when the altercations had become a less surprising compulsion of hers, the President had enough power to force Raine to ask forgiveness in person. When that strategy backfired—she often left to simply verbally berate her coworkers rather than apologize—they had come to this new, supposedly foolproof, tactic.

She dragged the envelope towards her with a single finger, plucking it up off the desk as the corner of her lip curled up into an insidiously sweet smirk, "My, you are looking.. full of pep today, aren't you?" Rolling her manicured nails over the article of paper, her gaze dropped with a certain coyish contemplation before Raine found herself reaching for her cup of tea again. "You know they see past this little ploy, right? That I'm,.." with the envelope in her lap, she rose her remaining free hand to form air quotations, "Sorry for hurting them?" There were secrets that Lancelot had unraveled about her, but Raine always did a terrible job in keeping the deaths within the HUB's political sphere exacted by her hand under wraps. It was like she got off by people figuring it out.

A final gulp of her chai, she abandoned the cup on the ledge of the desk, where it would remain until Edgar or some other secretary discovered it. "So let me get this straight." Raine leaned back again, folding one leg over the other in an unnecessarily grandeur display. "You put on this massive event and you don't want anyone to do anything treacherous?" Unable to read between the lines, the whole thought process simply struck her as bizarre. In this world, in this prison— "I mean, I suppose. But you know me, Lance, probably better than anyone in this hellhole." The return of her smile was nothing more than bittersweet, except she was never too good at feigning that sort of innocence—she could make a heyday out of backstabbing just about anyone. "There are fires to stoke today! And I won't to be asked to have my pyromania in checkbut.." Raine trailed away on the whim of an afterthought. "I'll be more inclined to help, for a price."

Distinct Citizen

User Image

LOCATION : poor district police station ||| COMPANY: himself ||| OOC: mew
                                                                    .......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
                                                                    _____________________________

Hail's office at the station could hardly be compared to any within the politicians' section in the rich district. The room was almost cramped space, really. Binders and such filled up the rows of his single bookcase, and files were squeezed into the cabinet's drawers because not absolutely everything for whatever reason was just on the computer. Hail liked having everything where it belonged though, and he actually preferred the lack of space. Less space meant less people able to stand around in there all at once. And what would others need to be in his office for? Usually it was to interrupt him from his tasks with questions they would know the answer to had they just read the department manuals more carefully. Sadly some officers seemed to put most effort into making things convenient for themselves, rather than into actually taking pride in their line of work by--surprise--doing work.

As he sunk into the leather office chair behind his desk, Hail's wristband beeped and projected a screen onto his forearm, the image cast indicating that he had a text message from Sybil. Hail shook his wrist once to shut the device off, then removed it and placed it on top of the filing cabinet. He liked the wristband well enough but couldn't reply to messages with it. That was a job for his phone. Pulling out the mobile device from his pants pocket, Hail unlocked the screen, went to his inbox and read Sybil's text. Suddenly a male rookie cop of the station opened the door to Hail's office and stepped in for a few seconds, "Hey Cadell, you're missing the Pres' announcement!"

Outside in the lobby Hail stared blankly at the TV with his arms folded. He watched until the announcement finished and the regular program on that particular TV channel resumed. He didn't know the President so well as to have formed a strong opinion about him yet, but the announcement of a HUB-wide birthday celebration for the princess her majesty Kaori--he could comment on that. Truthfully Hail didn't imagine the young woman as having done much to deserve such a grand party in her honor, but then, this celebration probably was not simply about pleasing the President's daughter, was it? It was about the prisoners of the HUB. Their morale. Their sense of community, even. Hail believed this might be somewhat effective--if they were a bunch of teenagers in a high school, maybe, with the majority of the community mentally stable and not criminally inclined. Or perhaps that was a bad comparison and he'd just watched too many "clean" movies and television series back on Arion. Hail reached for his phone, remembering that he needed to respond to Sybil. He received a message from Echo also in that moment.

To: Sye
                                                                    Message: What did you think of the update? Do you still want to meet up?

To: Echo
                                                                    Message: Extremely last minute, but noted. I'll pass it along.

Hail picked his head up and shoved his phone back into his pocket. His gaze drifted in search of Quentin, who was a veteran at the station and pretty hard to miss. Echo their intern had a church mission today so wouldn't be present. How would Quentin respond to that? Hail didn't really care, as long she didn't make it his problem, which he was sure she might try to do.
    User ImageUser Image
                                                          LOCATIONwind district#####PEOPLEone dead body#####ATTITUDEchipper#####

People always got so angry about business. If you didn't want your hitman to betray you, well, perhaps you should have done your homework and picked the right guy. Some random shmuck off the street, if you were patient and cautious, or call in for a real professional if you had the right ties. But this … “man” sitting in front of Axelai, he was neither of those things. Why he didn't call the bigwigs he knew for a real killer, the resistance grunt didn't know.

It wasn't that concerning that he hadn't slept in thirty-something hours. Axelai ripped one plastic glove off his hand with a satisfying snap, then the other. A quick glance over the body and he was confident that the businessman's associates would get the message. You're not safe. Don't mess with us. Also, have better taste in wine. That was definitely the message they would get from all this blood, the multiple stab wounds, and the bloody photograph of the 'target' that Yoret Gladius had given Axelai. Gladius had also suffered extensive wounds to the back of the head, which evidence would reveal happened when he was smashed from behind with about five different wine bottles.

Flexing his one robotic hand, Axelai checked the time on a marble counter-top clock. Almost day, huh. Maybe he'd have enough time to stop in Wind and get a real drink before he headed back to Gold for the 12:00 arena battle. The thought crossed his mind to ask Echo if she'd be there but Axelai never brought his phone on these kinds of jobs. Too risky to get caught that way. As much as he liked the décor in this place, Axelai just couldn't stand all the plush furniture and paintings. The next owner was going to have a hell of a time getting the stains out of the carpet though. Oh, and that loveseat was probably ruined. Shame. But not really.

“Guess you should have taken me seriously,” Axelai quipped at the body. Yoret Gladius had walked into his own home to find his killer sitting in the living room, sipping wine out of a crystal chalice. “Mr. Axelai. What a … surprise,” Gladius had said. “Your wine is shitty,” Axelai said in return. “I'd recommend you some better bottles but you won't need them anymore.” The other man walked over to his desk and set down his hat and other belongings. He seemed calm, but the edge in Gladius' voice betrayed his emotions.

“I'm sorry, did I at some point extent you an invitation into my home and to my wine cellar without somehow recalling that fact?” Both hands on the desk, leaning forward, head bent. The posture of a man weighed down by stress. “I hired you to do a job and not only do you renege on that contract, you turn around and double-cross the client who has paid you so much. Dare I ask why, or should I simply assume you are a psychopath?”

“Well that's not a terrible guess,” Axelai offered, still sitting in that uncomfortably plush chair. He gave the wine another chance—still terrible. “It's nothing personal really, Gladius. You hired the wrong man. I guess you shouldn't have tried to clean up this mess by yourself, because the President could have really helped you out here.”

Gladius slammed a fist into his desk. “Actually, I don't care anymore. I don't care why you're here or who you think you are.” He whipped around, aiming a gun he'd pulled out of nowhere straight at Axelai. “This is crossing the line and I am not a man trifled with. You are done. Do you hear me? Done.” Axelai casually regarded his wine. It was a beautiful shade of red, and these carpets were white. He absently flicked the glass off the arm of the chair. It broke, wine went everywhere.

"I don't actually have all day,” Axelai said with a sigh, standing up. He raised his arms, gesturing. Come at me bro. “If you're gonna shoot let's just get this over with. I've got to get cleaned up anyway before I meet my boss.” Gladius didn't shoot. He just stared at Axelai. “Are you insane?” Gladius finally asked. Axelai rolled his eyes. In one quick motion he moved from a slack, relaxed posture to a combat pose. His robotic hand threw the wine bottle beside him directly at Gladius. The gun fired. The bottle crashed. Exploded.

That was why the grunt had an annoying bullet hole in his shirt. Luckily Gladius was a crack shot, otherwise he might have missed Axelai's heart. “Tough luck,” he said. “You can't shoot me in the heart. At least not without a bigger caliber gun.” He could thank the metal plating from his bionic right arm and shoulder for that. The bullet's ricochet had put a hole right into the plasma television. Ouch.

Few hours later found Axelai sitting in a 24/7 Wind District bar. Yes, it was morning, and no, he did not care. In selecting his chemical cocktail of choice for the day, he had to take in account that he was … thirty-three hours deprived of sleep, by this point. Nothing that could make him drowsy, then. From a coat pocket Axelai pulled a syringe full of immunosuppressants. From a plastic bottle Axelai shook out two painkillers. These were weaker than what he'd like, but anything stronger would have to be an opioid and that would sedate him. To round out the party Axelai popped a handful of stimulants into his mouth, for energy. A quick shot of whiskey to chase the pills, and then he injected.

The first ten seconds were the worst. Axelai lost track of reality, blacking out momentarily as the chemicals hit with their first initial burn. A full minute later he felt his breath hitch and the pain started to subside. “Oh. Oh god. There we go, there we go,” he said. Finally he felt the knife in his arm go away. In ten minutes Axelai was walking down the street—alert, chipper, with a smile on his face and enthusiasm in his stride. Only bad thing was, he'd used the last of his suppressants today and Sora had been too busy (read: baked) to meet him all week. Stopping by one of the shitty apartments he had, Axelai picked up his phone and sent off a few quick messages.

To: Sora
                                                          Msg: yo, time's up. need that s**t TODAY

To: Alex
                                                          Msg: message delivered. we're g2g @ red house. Omw in 20

As he sent these messages, Axelai saw the President's broadcast playing on his shitty little television. He didn't really pay it much attention, but decided against hitting the arenas today. They were probably canceled after all. He'd have to catch up with Echo later, then. Maybe tomorrow. Almost as an afterthought, Axelai fired off a third text.

To: Alex
                                                          Msg: drinks l8r?

l3onerific's Wife

Shirtless Businesswoman

User ImageUser Image

Mood: Annoyed
                                                      Company: Raine

▄ ▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ▄ ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ▄▄▄

"You know they see past this little ploy, right? That I'm...Sorry for hurting them?" Yes, well obviously. Lancelot didn’t bother responding the question when she already knew the answer. She knew him better than that. The letter, while it may have started out as a well-intentioned way to resolve office issues, had become a convenient way to dissuade others from seeking his help. Sure, it was lazy and he could have easily thrown out a grand display of power into the gossip-hungry mouths of his subjects, but when it came down to it Lancelot didn't give a goytle’s a*** about people who filed office complaints. If Mr. Henley wanted something done about Raine then he could do it himself. Some people didn’t seem to understand that Lancelot held the highest chair of command over millions of people. Offices squabbles were hardly on his radar when he had generator issues and homeless people and an ever-rising number of “accidental” house fires to look into. Some days Lancelot just wanted to grab these office slackers by the feet and hold them upside down until every idiotic thought in their puny brains fell from their ears. But then, of course, there’d likely be nothing left.

”You put on this massive event and you don't want anyone to do anything treacherous?" Not exactly. ”I mean, I suppose. But you know me, Lance, probably better than anyone in this hellhole." Unfortunately. ”There are fires to stoke today! And I won't to be asked to have my pyromania in check—but.." He was tempted to exhale deeply, anticipating some annoying request before she could even finish. ”I'll be more inclined to help, for a price." And there it was.

"Now, Raine." God, he felt like he was surrounded by children sometimes. Like he had to spell everything out on a nice, big chalkboard for anybody to actually understand what their job was. "You know me well enough to know that I will reward those deserving of it, but I will determine what those rewards may be after I see the results that I desire. " He pulled a copy of the memo that had yet to go out from one of the stacks on his desk and handed it to Raine. "These are the events that will be going on today. My estimates suggest the highest level of potential disruption will be at the go karts, ferris wheel, and the gala." Basically, wherever the most money was. "Suggesting that you will do anything but keep a vigilant watch would be treason, Raine. Not even I could help you if the police force found out you and your "pyromania" were responsible for any trouble." That was a lie, but he wasn't likely lift a finger to help Raine if she went and didn't something stupid. Lancelot was well aware of Raine's methods and most were blatantly illegal, but as long as she didn't get caught and did her job he would turn a blind eye. As much as she liked pushing the boundaries of their relationship, even Raine was well aware that he would not tolerate downright disobedience

The phone on Lancelot's desk sprung to life. "I swear to God if this is about another-" He put the phone to his ear. "What is it?" The news wasn't good. When was the news ever good? "Very well. The police will do what they can, tell them to let one of my secretaries know if they need anything." He put the phone down, inhaling slowly. There was no such thing as coincidence. Not in Lancelot's book. A dead politician on one of the biggest celebration days in the HUB was only the beginning, he had no doubt about that. "Yoret is dead. Assassination." He might have suspected Raine of fowl play but from the description of the crime scene it didn't seem like her style. Of course Lancelot would mourn later. Yoret had been in office for quite some time. He was a nervous man but he did his job, and that was saying a whole lot more than some of the others in the office. For a moment he wished Ed hadn't left. He always had a way of making shitty situations seem more manageable.

"Raine, you're dismissed. Give that letter to Henley and please don't let me know if you have any trouble- I know you'll be able to handle it on your own."
          User Image

headquarters xxxxx hail > everyone else xxxxx why the ******** isn't everyone doing their job xxxxx [sans hat]
                                                          _____________________________________________________________________

Quentin had been waiting in line for the past twenty minutes- she tapped her booted feet on the badly tiled floor and tapped her fingers on her arm, occasionally huffing in irritation.

Alright, so, basically, today’s an important day, right? I got a notice from the top that we should watch out. That- what did they say again?- someone’s bound to ******** up.” She snorted. “I’m sorry, like no one’s ever bound to ******** up on regular ******** occasions?

Her colleague laughed, flipping what little hair she had backwards. “Like a billion prisoners on a giant floating ship are regularly behaved at all times.

Quentin rolled her eyes, and moved up in line. She leaned her back on the metal railing that signified the direction of the queue and sighed. “You ******** think we’ll be having breakfast anytime soon?” Quentin narrowed her eyes and cupped her hands around her mouth. “Get moving you ******** dickwads, I don’t ******** HAVE ALL DAY, GODDAMNIT.” [********]. Her stomach growled.

That’s ******** it,” she said, pushing the person in front of her- they squealed and tripped, and just as they were about to make a complaint, Quentin looked back at them, and the sheer terror of the gigantic towering woman with a rough voice and oh my god are those claws? had the person instantly back away, jump over the railing, and swiftly run the ******** out of the shop.

After five more shoulders pushed and three threats of lock-up in the bowels of the ship, Quentin stood at the counter and slammed her clawed fist on the counter. An old, balding woman stood behind a rusted, ancient cashier, counting her money.

Hi, doll, can I please serve the people in front of you before I serve you-” she started in a dull monotone, not looking up. Quentin shook her head and smiled, an ugly, unpractised thing. The woman looked up and swallowed.

Oh- Supervisor Quentin!

Yes, doll, that’s me. Can I get my ******** donuts now or what-

The old woman’s eyes widened. “Oh, crikey, right-” She bent down and stood up in a speed and finesse definitely not expected by a woman of that age, and pushed a pink box towards Quentin. She rolled her eyes, threw some minnies on the counter, and left.

Later, Quentin found herself sitting in her issued squad car, bent down at an awkward angle due to her height with her legs ungraciously tangled under the wheel. She shoved a sugar donut in her mouth, narrowing her eyes at the random passerby who looked inside her car. When he made eye contact, he gulped and ran.

Yeah, scram, you ******** shitwad,” she said, her mouth full. She unceremoniously fit another donut in her mouth. When she looked down, she found the box empty, and grunted. Seeing no point in crouching in her car for a further amount of time, Quentin pushed the door open, carrying the box in her hands. She stepped into the headquarters, ducking her head to avoid bonking her head against the sign at the door, and stood still. Most people had gathered in the area outside, having just seen the announcement by their dear ******** president- aka Lancy the ********’ Pansy- and discussions were loud, confused, and entirely idiotic.

She ignored them in favour of Hail, who was sitting in his office, texting on his phone. She grinned, and headed towards his cramped office.

Texting? On work hours? ******** hell no, Hail, I’m soooo disappointed,” she said, frowning. “Do something useful for once, kid, goddamnit. Like, make me coffee, or something.” She walked out quickly, not giving him time for an answer. When the intellectually arguing masses outside saw her, they quietened, significantly. She threw the empty donut box at them, flattening her mouth when it hit one of them in the eye. “This is for you, assholes.

Looking around, Quentin noticed someone missing. She tapped her foot on the floor. “Where the ******** ******** is Echo?” Better not be making anyone any of her poison ******** coffee.

sylfaerien's Husbando

Versatile Man-Lover

User Image

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    LOCATION tab dom's flat > coffee house tab tab COMPANY tab no one as of yet tab tab MOOD tab tired.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

User Image
                                    • Groaning, Dominic gently ran his hands down the side of his face, wincing slightly as his cybernetic fingers traced along swollen skin. Peering out his window and at the hazy colors he could make out in his dwindling eyesight, he remembered. He'd knocked out within seconds of hitting the couch last night, because last night's match had worn him out thoroughly. And while he was usually a light sleeper, his exhaustion must have knocked him out cold.

Still, the fight last night hadn't been too bad--only tedious. His opponent at the arena had been a strong, big-boned Katakan with a penchant for looking intimidating, if little else. And while his opponent was brawny and guarded himself like a tank, his body language was predictable, and his attacks more so. Dom had let the Katakan scuff him in the face by the first round, leaving a nasty welt on his cheekbone and bruising his right eye. Still, it was a small price to pay when it had given the Arionish the opening to sneak in with a strong hook to the jaw, breaking his opponent's neck and ending things swiftly enough. After all, his cybernetic arm was strong enough to apply jackhammer force to a regular punch--if he hadn't killed his opponent through the clash of flesh and steel alone, he would have at least forced him out of the ring for a few months through a broken neck.

And on the mention of his eye, he was having trouble keeping it open with the swelling, even if said swelling had died down tremendously since the night before. He'd sat down on the futon with an ice pack over his face and the television on. From the looks of it, he'd fallen asleep that way, too.

Trying to blink his swollen eye slowly, Dominic dithered over the details with a short sigh. It was a one-time thing, he surmised. He wasn't letting someone hit him so square in the face, again. It had won him the battle, but he still had to heal, and he wasn't so sure he'd be completely recovered by the next fight. It was foolish, in hindsight.

Then again, ending up in the HUB was foolish enough; making any more mistakes could kill him. It was a hardly welcoming place in the time he'd been there, and in between physical training, downing supplements, getting his limbs tuned every week, and taking blow after blow after blow in the arena, it was getting increasingly difficult for his body to recover from all the physical exertion. Still, a year later, he was still alive, and he was still making a good wad of cash every fight.

He scoffed and reached for his glasses, pushing them up on the bridge of his nose. This was the closest thing he'd had to working honorably his whole life. But that was enough of that. He'd slept in, which meant he didn't have time to train. It did mean he had to get moving, though.

Sighing, Dominic tucked his curls behind his ears as he stood up and lazily pulled on his shirt. Half-listening to the announcements going on through the speakers (a broadcasting at 10 am? mandatory?), he stole a look at the clock in the kitchen. It was 8 AM, give or take, and he could easily get ready in about fifteen minutes. Raine had arranged to see him at 9, and regardless of how long it would take, she too, would likely cut off her affairs early to attend the broadcast. After all, the president's droning speech or newscast of sorts began at 10. Dom's brief, impromptu schedule was falling into place, even if he wasn't looking forward to anything on the forecast.

Once he was fully washed and dressed, he locked the door behind him. As he walked, he reached for his cell phone in his pants pocket, and began to type a message to Raine.

He was pretty damn awful with touch screens, though; recent cellular phones could read the touch of flesh and metal just fine on a touch keyboard, but older models struggled with cybernetic fingers. His phone, being the latter, made using it needlessly complicated, and made typing a hit or miss kind of thing. It was all a far cry from the kinds of luxuries he was used to in Arion--as of now, he either had the choice of typing with the one thumb whose swipes and touches it could actually read, or using both of his thumbs and hoping for the best.

While the first seemed like the smarter idea, the truth of it was he'd just be typing all the wrong keys, so he opted for the second. He assumed they'd be meeting at the usual place, chatting over tea and coffee and maybe even a light breakfast. He didn't understand the point of most of their get-togethers--true, they went way back, but aside from their business transactions, they were never particularly close. In spite of knowing that, he found himself headed there, anyway.

User Image

Irritably, Dominic struggled with his phone for a few moments longer, but eventually all the typos were deleted and all the right letters were capitalized. Lips pursing into a thin line, Dom pressed "send" furiously with his cybernetic thumb before the screen eventually read the motions, and the message was finally mailed.

Once he'd made it to their meeting place, Dom found it quaint that, in spite of all these prisoners being stranded in a space prison miles away from any other galactic civilization, little luxuries like a coffee shop were scattered here and there and seemed to be doing successfully. Sure, the "coffee beans" in the HUB were really little more than processed instant coffee, and the quality behind tea was even more of a mystery--what could anyone expect from a place like the HUB when even fresh produce was scarce?

Ordering himself what was allegedly "loose leaf, organic black tea", Dom found himself a seat and crossed one leg over the other. Raine would be here soon enough, he wagered. And in the meantime, he could sip the tea in between waiting, and wake himself up.

OOC tab n / a

Quick Reply

Submit
    Manage Your Items
    Other Stuff
    Get GCash
    Offers
    Get Items
    More Items
    Where Everyone Hangs Out
    Other Community Areas
    Virtual Spaces
    Fun Stuff