Welcome to Gaia! ::

Salathielly's Partner

Dainty Kitten

27,550 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I've always had some objections against marriage/love between people whose age gap was over 20 years but I have no say in any aspects of these people's lives since happiness is different for everyone. But oddly enough I did find out I sometimes found myself attracted to men who were well over 20 years older than I am. It concerns me somewhat that this could even happen despite my convictions. History has taught me that in the past it was a common sight for a man to have a much younger wife but that doesn't happen as often anymore. What's your opinion on love and age gaps? Would you consider it healthy or morally reprehensible?

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
I don't see anything wrong with age gaps at all.

Salathielly's Partner

Dainty Kitten

27,550 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Super 9-Volt

No matter how big?

But I think my conviction probably derives from my upbringing. None of the people in my direct environment dated anyone significantly older or younger. Maybe I should re-adjust my opinion on the matter but that will take time cat_sweatdrop

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Sahri
I've always had some objections against marriage/love between people whose age gap was over 20 years...
Why?
Sahri
Oddly enough I did find out I sometimes found myself attracted to men who were well over 20 years older than I am. It concerns me somewhat that this could even happen despite my convictions.
...because you changed your mind about something, and think about that thing differently now?

That's not really that "odd". As you gain wisdom, your opinions and views on things change based on experiences you have. I held a lot of arbitrary beliefs when I was younger that were pretty silly...
Sahri
History has taught me that in the past it was a common sight for a man to have a much younger wife but that doesn't happen as often anymore.
That depends entirely on where you live.
Sahri
What's your opinion on love and age gaps?
That as long as both parties are mature enough to be in such a relationship, then the ages of those people is a non-issue.
Sahri
Would you consider it healthy or morally reprehensible?
"Reprehensible" based on whose morals?

Morality is relative and varies from culture to culture, so depending on where a person lives, their answer to this question is going to be pretty varied.

Salathielly's Partner

Dainty Kitten

27,550 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Arcoon Effox
Sahri
I've always had some objections against marriage/love between people whose age gap was over 20 years...
Why?

I had these beliefs because where I grew up I didn't see this kind of stuff. It was only when someone from my family started to do it where I didn't feel very comfortable with the idea of a younger person can fall in love with someone much older. And if the people in your environment think the same as you you're not likely to change your opinion about it.

And morals? I think plenty of people would not be comfortable with that idea as well. And maybe I should have left that word out of the sentence cat_sweatdrop

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
Sahri
Super 9-Volt

No matter how big?

But I think my conviction probably derives from my upbringing. None of the people in my direct environment dated anyone significantly older or younger. Maybe I should re-adjust my opinion on the matter but that will take time cat_sweatdrop
No matter how big. It's not going to affect my life if other people do it. If I want to date someone significantly older or younger than me, I'd jump onto the opportunity.

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
Morally, as long as the parties are over 18, whatever. I won't lie, I'd think it would be weird for some older person to be walking down the street hand in hand with someone who looked young enough to be their kid, but I'm not in the relationship, so it's not my business.

I think that with larger age gaps, it's not so much morally wrong, it's just that people tend to be in different places in their life. A 40 year old is going to want different things than a 20 year old. Even if the younger one thinks this is what they want, they'll look back later and regret wasting their youth when they turn 40 themselves and realize they're with a 60 year old and they're no longer a spring chicken. That's one reason why midlife crises happen. Unless someone is a gold digger and is just waiting for them to croak so they can get the inheritance.

History was different. Basically, you became an adult once you hit menarche or spermarche, and it was open field. Younger women were more desired because they were more fertile. It didn't matter if that's what she wanted. It was up to her parents, and older men were more well off due to more time to gather the wealth, so they were more desired there.

Things have changed now because women can choose their own partner, puberty hits earlier (and only religious nut jobs in cults will consider letting their 11 year old daughter marry anybody just because she got her period), women have jobs, and usually beyond cooking, keeping house and having babies, so she doesn't need a guy to take care of her. There is just generally more in common with those around your same age (usually about five years is the max), and those things can help build a relationship.

Revered Vampire

12,350 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Member 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
❝ I was in a relationship with a man for 3 years who was 44 years my senior; he was the most magnetic, passionate and inspiring person, fitter than me and capable of out-fighting (in armour) everyone else in our reenactment group. Our families knew and accepted us both with open arms. Unfortunately, he died at the end of November from a massive stress-induced heart attack (courtesy of his job, for starters), but I don't regret even one moment of those 3 years. We knew what we wanted out of the relationship - a kid after I'd done my Master's degree/marriage - and he didn't interfere when it came to my career, life or finances save for little tips here and there.

My Aunt also married someone older by 30 years, so, we kind of joked that it was one of those family quirks.

So long as the youngest party is of legal age, and there is no psychological/emotional/physical abuse or manipulation from either side, I couldn't give one iota of a fig for age gaps. They are only as important as you make them. If you make an issue out of it, it'll be an issue. ❞

Salathielly's Partner

Dainty Kitten

27,550 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
spellslave
❝ I was in a relationship with a man for 3 years who was 44 years my senior; he was the most magnetic, passionate and inspiring person, fitter than me and capable of out-fighting (in armour) everyone else in our reenactment group. Our families knew and accepted us both with open arms. Unfortunately, he died at the end of November from a massive stress-induced heart attack (courtesy of his job, for starters), but I don't regret even one moment of those 3 years. We knew what we wanted out of the relationship - a kid after I'd done my Master's degree/marriage - and he didn't interfere when it came to my career, life or finances save for little tips here and there.

My Aunt also married someone older by 30 years, so, we kind of joked that it was one of those family quirks.

So long as the youngest party is of legal age, and there is no psychological/emotional/physical abuse or manipulation from either side, I couldn't give one iota of a fig for age gaps. They are only as important as you make them. If you make an issue out of it, it'll be an issue. ❞

Oh wow, that's pretty sad to hear sad My condolances for your loss. But I guess this quirk runs in our family as well cat_sweatdrop But you're right. It's only an issue if I make it an issue out of it and be more accepting that it can happen that my soulmate could be much older or younger than me.

Revered Vampire

12,350 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Member 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Sahri
spellslave

Oh wow, that's pretty sad to hear sad My condolances for your loss. But I guess this quirk runs in our family as well cat_sweatdrop But you're right. It's only an issue if I make it an issue out of it and be more accepting that it can happen that my soulmate could be much older or younger than me.

❝ Thank you. When people ask me about it, I always said/say that while I do prefer older men, I had never originally meant that high. But he was just too good to pass up just because of his age. We went to places he wanted to go to, that we both enjoyed - Rome, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Oplontis - so I'm at least happy that he finally got to see those sites before he passed.

Different couples handle it differently, and obviously it makes a difference if there is open disapproval from people. We never had any issues, be it in public or amongst friends or family, so we were never made aware of it being an issue to anyone. Those who knew, knew us, and were happy. ❞

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Sorry it took me a minute to reply; for some reason I didn't get a notification that you quoted me.
Sahri
Arcoon Effox
Sahri
Why?

I had these beliefs because where I grew up I didn't see this kind of stuff. It was only when someone from my family started to do it where I didn't feel very comfortable with the idea of a younger person can fall in love with someone much older.
It sounds like you thought it was weird or whatever simply because it was different, and outside of your 'comfort zone', as it were.

Out of curiosity, what was it that made you uncomfortable? Was the discomfort caused by the actions of the younger or older person?
Sahri
...if the people in your environment think the same as you you're not likely to change your opinion about it.
...which is why it's important to understand that argumentum ad populum does not mean that something is correct, just that it's a popular opinion.

For example, lots of people still think that vaccines cause autism, but they don't.
Sahri
And morals? I think plenty of people would not be comfortable with that idea as well.
Discomfort =/= Immoral... though people often do conflate the two.

Again, it really all depends on where you live, since different things are more (or less) acceptable in different cultures. In some societies nobody would blink an eye at the thought of a girl being married to a guy 20+ years older than she is. In most western countries, it's considered "unusual", though I imagine that most people would be hard-pressed to provide a reason why they think that way beyond "because it is".

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
I don't really see a moral issue with differing ages, so long as everyone involved in mature enough for the relationship.

Friendly Seeker

i think it depends on the people involved. for some people it comes across as an older person skeevily taking advantage of the younger and preying on some insecurity or weakness but for others their bond is real. but i am dead set against any kind of significant age gap of like three years or more if the younger person is like seventeen or younger.
It differs for everyone I suppose. I personally wouldn't want to be with a man who's more than 10 years my senior.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Arcoon Effox
Discomfort =/= Immoral... though people often do conflate the two.

Hard not to - I mean, what's morality but an agreed-upon comfort or discomfort, really?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff