Welcome to Gaia! ::

Alcopops's Pardner

Bloodthirsty Bunny

33,440 Points
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • Miasmal Lake Champion 500
  • Miasmal Researcher 200

Since this will be a long feedback post, I'm going to use the same format that I used in my Bitter Slumber feedback thread (which I really hope staff read!) and there will be no Gengar to accompany me. ;o;

Before I begin, let me get this out of the way first: I am aware of what the staff has said about removing announcements on multiple occasions. While I wish they would let us remove them, I will be offering different suggestions that hopefully they will act out on. I am aware that they do not plan to work on the way they distribute announcements, but as I've stated in previous threads, I hope they change their minds because the announcements are a royal mess of steamy poop. Assuming the staff has open minds and would like to be able to work on announcements, I humbly request that they read and take my suggestions (as these are my opinions that not everybody may share) into thought and reserve these ideas for a near-future project.

*ahem*

Well. Announcements are obviously a problem, and staff cannot deny that. People have stopped reading announcements by the masses because there are so many and none of them have piqued their interest. Many just skim the announcements to remove the bubble next to the avatar, much like I do. There are many ways to remove these issues, but first we must identify what is done right and the issues that are actually at hand.

What You Do Right

- Involving more community related announcements. This is something that has been reappearing lately, and it's wonderful. I'm not interested in these 100% of the time, but what matters is that you're involving community for the most part and being light to features that users may have not known existed or ever used, such as the arenas. I hope you'll continue to interview hardworking users and show off their awesome avatars!

- Announcing your non-GC features, such as GoFusion, Loyal's Bazaar, and the gold shops. GoFusion has made more of an appearance in events and in standalone updates lately, which is wonderful! Not everyone checks up on the GCD, so these announcements are very helpful. There was a staff member that stated they try to update the gold shops twice a month... I really hope we'll start seeing two gold shop announcements a month (and no, Loyal's Bazaar does not count).

- Announcements about events with all the information needed. One thing that was terrible about Bitter Slumber, was that no one knew when it was going to end. The end date was posted on FACEBOOK out of all things, which was a horrible mistake. Gaia should be priority, and you know how it turned out when Gaia wasn't priority. *coughTentaclcough* Anyway, though, the recent kickstarter event announcement had an end date on it and all the things you could do, which is perfect! Thank you for keeping that in mind.

- Announcing when items are leaving, en-masse. I have something to say about GC related announcements in the first place, but I'll give you this one. It's very nice to know when the items are leaving, despite having the end date on the original announcements. It's a nice reminder, especially since you only remind them ONCE and not five million times.

What You Do Wrong

- Announcing one or two GC items at a time when you intend to have more items released that day. There is usually a big announcement recapping the first few items and bundles and etc. early in the day, but then you always have more to add on, usually RIGs and gold generators. If you planned to release them all in a day and in the same store, I really don't understand why we have to have 5 to 10 different announcements about them. La Victoire Digest was supposed to solve that, but then you ended up having like 3 of those in a day and it was such a mess that you stopped doing it, which was good on your part. Please just start compiling them all together in ONE announcement.

- Reminding users that hey, this is a thing that exists! Buy this thing! This is a very bad marketing tactic, IMO. Like what the title of this thread says, we do not have bad memory. If there is one announcement about it, that's all we need. People who were not here most likely check the GCD rather than these announcements because they are so spammy for THIS very reason. We KNOW you want us to buy this thing, but chances are, if we didn't want to buy it before, we still don't want to buy it and the announcement just comes off as very annoying. Especially when you do it in the same day. And then the day after. Stop doing this. I know if a staff member responds, they most likely thought of an answer that's akin to "we wanted to just remind users in case they missed it, so they have the opportunity to go back!" That's simply just not an answer I'll take. Again, we do not have bad memory and those who want to know will not go to the announcements for that information.

- Coupons!!! I'll admit, I thought the first coupon you guys sent out was cute. I thought it was a nice gesture... and then you sent out another coupon. And another coupon. And more and more and more, and now there is a flood of coupons with items attached that make a user think they're getting a good deal, when in actuality, you're probably just screwing them over in another one of your diabolical plans. This isn't about complaining with GC prices, so I'll stop there, but the coupons are RIDICULOUS. PLEASE STOP ANNOUNCING THEM. Put up reminders on the GC page, PLEASE. You don't exactly announce your "sales" anymore, so you should stop announcing coupons too. It will make the world a better place, and the people that want coupons can simply check that page to see if the 5000 coupons they can use 5+ times ~FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY!!!~ are active. The same goes for Tier Spenders. Please just. Stop.

- Not having any sort of schedule for your announcements. Everything you release is completely random and the staff has stated several times that they do not run on a schedule. There needs to be a fix for that, because you're likely to forget things and make more mistakes if you don't have everything in front of you. This is more of a concern for staff rather than users, though having a schedule for both staff AND users would be great.

- Releasing items (particularly LQIs) BEFORE the announcement. Please release the announcement first, and THEN bring out the item. Maybe schedule them to release at the same time? I don't know how it works, but I just know that there are some items that sold out instantly before the announcement even came out. That strikes me as very unfair for people that would be willing to throw their money at your items.

What You Can Do to Improve

- Have a page dedicated to the schedule of items, announcements, and updates. You don't necessarily have to spoil items or anything that would be a nice surprise to users, but at least have a schedule out so we will know FOR SURE what to expect, or at least have this for the staff. I highly recommend this, so we can stop going to ATS and having answers that are similar to "soon, we're working on it!" We like to have exact answers, and a believable schedule would keep a lot of us from complaining. Projects are constantly being pushed back and brought up and pushed back again... you guys just... you guys really need a schedule.

- Remember that your users are becoming desensitized to announcements. At this point, announcements aren't really that much to write home about. Most of your users have become very used to this fact and no longer read them. Basically, what I'm saying is, the less announcements, the better. If there were less announcements, users are more likely to read (especially if they are not repetitive) and are more likely to become interested.

- Allow users to filter what they want to see in announcements. This is so they can focus on what they enjoy and want to see. For example, if I really love evolving items and LQIs but I don't want to hear about RIGS, gold generators, or coupons, I should be able to filter my announcements so I see only EI reports and LQI announcements in the bubble next to my avatar. This might require some sort of tagging system to filter the announcements, but no matter how much work it takes, it'd be very worth it so I really hope you guys consider this. Don't give me that "we have to make sure users get to see what they can get!" BS because we are able to disable STAFF NOTICES THAT ARE MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN A NEW ITEM. So please. Consider adding filters with announcements.

That's about all I have for this, and I hope that staff will take some of these into consideration. I know I'm not alone in my thoughts about announcements, and I truly believe that the announcements system is messed up enough that they really need to work on improving it. Again, these are my opinions more than anything and another user may not share the same thoughts, but this comes from my experiences and discussions in other threads.

Mystical Creature

It’s a general rule of thumb in psychology that people have the ability to remember 7 plus or minus 2 things (5 to 9 total) at a time. (This is incredibly simplified.)

So when I log in and see 6 announcements waiting, I’m going to remember that today alone you’ve, say, made a GoFusion announcement, added a few things into the Cash Shop, put things on discount in the Cash Shop, added some offensive new gold generator into the Cash Shop, put other things on sale in the Cash Shop, and possibly did an evolving item update for an item currently available in the Cash Shop. (All of these are random examples.) And I’m not just saying that because you do a lot of the same things every day. Okay, that’s part of it. Those of us who read the announcements, or at least skim them, likely do remember at least some of what we read/skimmed. (Likely. I won’t say that with 100% certainty.) Does that change my interest in those things? Not really. Affect my memory? No. I will remember the titles and pictures, if nothing else. Frankly, Gaia, the harder you push certain things, the more stubbornly I’m going to say “No.” But that’s not the point. The point? We are capable of remembering. Caring is another matter entirely and you should probably focus more on that than on the quantity of announcements. (Quality > quantity.) Digests, remember? We prefer La Victoire digests.

I do like that I’m seeing more Community Updates and the occasional GoFusion update. Granted, I usually see the GoFusion update a few hours before you announce it… but still, I appreciate the effort. I will admit that I kind of miss the “what’s going on at Gaia, Inc.” posts that you used to do with, I think, DJ Helsing where you announced incoming and outgoing features and just did a general summary of what had happened in a month, including items and events. It might be nice to have those again, complete with video chat (as before). Maybe with rotating staff members? That way, if someone leaves, the announcements/recaps don’t have to end. Though it might just be me who thought they were useful. Or maybe these are still posted somewhere and I just don’t see them.

I also know that I don’t want to see 10 announcements in 2 days for the same damn item. I’m exaggerating, but still… I don’t need to hear as many times as I do now (and more so in the past few months than now) that “item x” is still in the Cash Shop.

“Item x is now available in the Cash Shop until such-and-such date!”
        “Hey, did you know? It’s still there.”
        “Oooh, now it’s there AND on sale.”
        “Wait. Sale’s over. Still there, though.”
        “Buy it. You know you want to.”
        “You didn’t forget about it, right?”
        “… Lumi? You wanted to buy this, right?”
        “It’s gone! But wait… we’ve brought it back and it’s half off! Buy it quick because it’ll be 6 months before it’s sold again.”
        “HURRY, LUMI, HURRY! (Why don’t you love me anymore?)”
        “Rats, you lost out. But here: look at the picture of what you could have bought and regret. Buy some Gaia Cash, would ya?”

If I could file a restraining order against those announcements… or anthropomorphize them any more than I already have…

As for the coupons, I agree. I have no plans to use them. I don’t want to see them. It’s great that you’re offering discounts (kind of- but that’s another topic). But, please, do something else with them. We have that nice “sale” flag next to our cash counters. Make that a discount page link. Include the regular discounts on Gaia cash and available coupons on that page. It would de-clutter announcements and make things easier to find.

A lot of good points were made in the opening post and I agree with a lot of them. It’s nice that announcements have been coming less often and that they are changing for the better… but, as things currently stand, they are still very, very annoying and a lot of work remains to be done before I’ll even think about doing more than quickly skimming through them or, better, caring about their content (especially in the case of the Cash Shop).

Sparkly Kitten

53,900 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Cat Fancier 100
I wish they would do scrolling style announcements. So instead of having to click click click, we only click one and can scroll through all the announcements. It is so annoying right now.

Hardened Lover

ElegantlyLuminous

I also know that I don’t want to see 10 announcements in 2 days for the same damn item. I’m exaggerating, but still… I don’t need to hear as many times as I do now (and more so in the past few months than now) that “item x” is still in the Cash Shop.

“Item x is now available in the Cash Shop until such-and-such date!”
        “Hey, did you know? It’s still there.”
        “Oooh, now it’s there AND on sale.”
        “Wait. Sale’s over. Still there, though.”
        “Buy it. You know you want to.”
        “You didn’t forget about it, right?”
        “… Lumi? You wanted to buy this, right?”
        “It’s gone! But wait… we’ve brought it back and it’s half off! Buy it quick because it’ll be 6 months before it’s sold again.”
        “HURRY, LUMI, HURRY! (Why don’t you love me anymore?)”
        “Rats, you lost out. But here: look at the picture of what you could have bought and regret. Buy some Gaia Cash, would ya?”

If I could file a restraining order against those announcements… or anthropomorphize them any more than I already have…

I absolutely love that part ^ ! lol

I agree they need to work on the number of announcements some more. I still just skim through them because I know most are related to the cash shop in some form or another. I really mainly skim through to find any that are NOT related to the cash shop.

Revered Vampire

12,350 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Member 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
❝ If you've got BetterGaia, you can have all the announcements show at once. ❞

Alcopops's Pardner

Bloodthirsty Bunny

33,440 Points
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • Miasmal Lake Champion 500
  • Miasmal Researcher 200
ElegantlyLuminous

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I would absolutely file a restraining order against announcements if I could! xD I go through the same thing. I did want to touch some more on the "hey it's on sale now YOU SHOULD BUY THIS YES oh it's not on sale WAIT IT'S BACK AND IT'S ON SALE EVEN MORE!!!" announcements but I've ranted about sales so much that I've just given up with it ;o;

I did not know that psychology bit (I'm taking the class now hurr hurr hurr) but that's very interesting and your post was very well written! Glad this is the second post so users can look on to this for extra in-depth info.

Admittedly, if they keep updating GoFusion but do it one item at a time, that'll get annoying pretty fast too. I just hope they update things more in bulk and try to not make it a contest to see how many single-item announcements we get. And this is coming from someone who absolutely loves GoFusion. The affordable stuff, anyway. xP

spellslave
❝ If you've got BetterGaia, you can have all the announcements show at once. ❞

Very true, and I do have BetterGaia and use it. That's how I skim through announcements. While BetterGaia helps, it still doesn't change the fact that I SKIM announcements and that they are still extremely annoying with all the repetitive and bothersome updates and sales. We shouldn't have to rely on offsite features just to make being a Gaian a little more bearable, in my opinion.

Moonlight Sweetheart

52,925 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Coloring Champion 0
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50
They've done a lot better with announcements now than a few months ago. Thanks for curbing the 10+ announcements a day.

It would still be nice to have some of those changes. I've suggested just an announcement page in the past but I guess it never took. Instead of a forum, a rolling list of announcements ordered by date/time that opens a dialogue box to the side when clicked with the announcement. Or a simple blog style page.

Perfect Saint

Yes, a little bit more condensing would be nice. Sometimes, I do forget stuff admittedly, but getting flooded unnecessarily won't help, since I'll just be filtering redundant info out anyway.

Angelic Blob

The digest was a good idea, but then it seemed like all staff weren't on board so then we had one digest with two item announcements and then the other were loose LQIs and Gold CIs. emotion_facepalm

The "Now in LaVictoire" things seem to be a hybrid version of digest. So far it is going alright. Since they seem to be hyper driving on the whole Limiteds thing, there is currently not a reason to announce them first before putting them in the shop. Now if it was a like the fiasco with the [Animal] fur, then yes.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff