Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Player

Okay so i have been watching "Avatar: The last Airbender", and have been curious. If I wanted to make a Bender in Pathfinder, what would be the best class to tinker with? Wizard/Sorc were first to jump to my mind, but I would rather refrain from using a spellcaster.

I am also thinking may i should start from scratch and go with a tech tree sort of Idea, as in at level 1 i get a basic cantrip of each element and ech level up I can take another cantrip if i have the cantrip prior to it (So either round out, or specialize n one element getting much more powerful attacks with it.)

Could even make it so each element branches off into both offensive and defensive builds. So you can have a healer water bender or an offensive Water bender.

I figure I could also create the idea of scrolls which allow me to use a bending ability i have not yet reached for a certain number of charges (Probably one, but come on, a scroll does not get used up after one use.)

So yea, Should i toy with a a class or is my idea of working it from scratch a better method?
Thing is, other people have tried to do this. All of their results have been terrible. Same as most attempts to do anything else in d20 that isn't D&D/Pathfinder. Just look up Naruto d20.

My question for you is, what is this for? Do you actually want to play an Avatar campaign at the table, or is this just a thought exercise?

If it's the latter, go ahead and do both. Maybe use the time modifying a base class to try out a couple ideas for the from scratch class. Play a few test sessions with each and use what you learn to make even better stuff in the future.

If it's the former then the effort that goes into building a class for d20 might be a bit much for the pay-off in actual play. Especially since you're likely going to break the game with it, which leads to the need to fix it. That time spent fixing the class and the game could go to actual prep. Is that something that you're willing to put up with, including the game derailing, retconning events, retconning character sheets (telling the player that their super optimal build choice back in level 2 is now nerfed), and dealing with irate players who probably don't want to deal with all that crap?

Instead, if you want to play an Avatar game then I'd suggest that you try out Avatar World. It works out of the box.

Invisible Sex Symbol

Actually, your best bet is the new kineticist class in the Occult Adventures book. It doesn't get here till fall, but the playtest version is available to download for free from the pathfinder website.
Rockwarrior v2.0
Okay so i have been watching "Avatar: The last Airbender", and have been curious. If I wanted to make a Bender in Pathfinder, what would be the best class to tinker with? Wizard/Sorc were first to jump to my mind, but I would rather refrain from using a spellcaster.

Perhaps consider a Monk archetype that alters the Ki Pool ability set (and/or perhaps a couple other abilities) to incorporate elemental spell-like abilities instead of the usual karate improvements.

Winter Bunny

22,525 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Winter Guardian 250
  • Generous 100
I don't know about a true "bender" persay but there are ways to get some things. Though i find that its best to try and use the races bent on the elements rather then use human. But talk to your Gm about it a lot of Gms are willing to let you mix and match if you can give them a good reason.

Ex. Fire

Race - Ifrit
Spell-Like Ability: Burning hands 1/day (caster level equals the ifrit's level).
Energy Resistance: Ifrits have fire resistance 5.
Fire Affinity: Ifrit sorcerers with the elemental (fire) bloodline treat their Charisma score as 2 points higher for all sorcerer spells and class abilities. Ifrit spellcasters with the Fire domain use their domain powers and spells at +1 caster level.

Sorcerer (Advanced Race Guide pg. 1): Choose a bloodline power from the elemental (fire) bloodline or the efreeti bloodline that the sorcerer can use. The sorcerer treats her class level as though it were +1/2 higher (to a maximum of +4) when determining the effects of that power.

Elemental Bloodline: Fire
Elemental Ray (Sp): Starting at 1st level, you can unleash an elemental ray as a standard action, targeting any foe within 30 feet as a ranged touch attack. This ray deals 1d6 points of damage of your energy type + 1 for every two sorcerer levels you possess. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier.

Trait: Snap Ignition
Source People of the Sands pg. 15 (Amazon)
Requirement(s) Ifrit
You are a pyromaniac by nature and love nothing more than setting fires. As a full-round action, you can produce a small flame at the end of your finger that ignites combustible materials as a tindertwig. Alternatively, you can maintain a flame equivalent to a candle by spending a standard action each round to concentrate on it.

Eloquent Streaker

As mentioned above, the new Kineticist class is basically a Bender. Run it as is or gestalt it with Monk and you're good to go.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff