Welcome to Gaia! ::

12,925 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100
Three days after Graham Gentles was fired without warning from the Pasadena Target where he worked last July, the 22-year-old committed suicide. Now his mother, Virginia Gentles, is calling for Target to take responsibility for its role in his death. In the wrongful death lawsuit Victoria filed against Target in L.A. she alleges that the company engaged in intentional infliction of emotional distress on her son, who had Asperger’s syndrome, negligence, and false imprisonment as part of a company practice that subjects employees to a “walk of shame” before they are let go.

"The walk of shame is a Target policy to purposely cause shame, embarrassment and emotional distress to any Target employee who is suspected of stealing from Target,” the suit, filed last Thursday, states, according to NBC Los Angeles. ”The policy consists of employees being arrested and paraded in handcuffs through the Target store in full view of co-workers and customers.” The suit alleges that’s exactly what happened on July 15, 2014 to Graham, who was later released and not charged with any crime. (The true reason for his firing, according to his mom, was an off-site verbal altercation Gentles had with another employee months prior).

“This is about holding Target accountable,” Virginia Gentles tells Yahoo Parenting of the incident that upset her son so much that he jumped off the roof of a hotel in Monrovia, California to his death. “My point is to get this barbaric [‘walk of shame’] practice to stop.”

Target, however, denies that these “walks” even take place. “Our thoughts and sympathies go out to the friends and family of this individual,” Molly Snyder, group manager of public relations for Target in Minneapolis, tells Yahoo Parenting via email in response to a request for comment. “The allegations in the lawsuit of a Target policy or practice are simply not true. There is no such policy. As this is pending litigation, we don’t have further comment at this time.”

Former employees have been reaching out to Victoria since she set up a memorial page to Graham on Facebook, says the mother, to share their own “walk of shame” horror stories. “I don’t understand how Target can say this is not happening,” she insists. “I have received many messages from employees and former employees. Some were forced in the walk and others witnessed. They all describe it the same. I am speaking of Targets across the country.” She adds that she received a note from an employee who witnessed a “walk” in which security staff were “laughing and high- fiving.”

Graham had many close friends he worked with at Target, says Virginia, noting that many of the 200 mourners who turned out for his funeral were fellow employees – so being ousted from the job stunned him to the core. “Other people know how to let things roll off of their back,” she says. But her son’s Asperger’s syndrome kept him locked in the feelings of torment from that day. “The only thing he said to me at that moment was, ‘Mom this is the worst day of my life,’” Victoria told local media. Her attorney explained to ABC 7 that the emotional distress they’re suing over was crippling. “This was part of his extended family,” said Patrick McNicholas. “He had indicated that he felt safe there. This is where his friends were, so he felt as though he lost all of that in one moment.”

With this lawsuit, Victoria hopes to change the culture of humiliation that she says Graham endured, so no one else becomes a victim. “My son was such a nice young man,” she laments. “I just want Target to be honest and admit that this happened and say that they won’t let it happen again.”

Link

dilweedz's Partner

3,150 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Dabbler 200
I feel horrible for her but I don't quite understand what she's really hoping to accomplish long-term. She can say that it's about this alleged "Walk of Shame"....which by the way is pretty standard policy for most stores. I was caught shoplifting when I was 11 at my local pharmacy. This was back in the 90s. The store security hauled me through the store and when I left it was with the police, again in view of the employees and customers. They aren't going to sneak you out through back exits to protect your imagined dignity, sorry. It's a very effective deterrent for many, I was so embarrassed and scared that I never stole again.

Are businesses never supposed to fire people with mental health issues? Are they supposed to have a Jim Crow "separate but equal" policy for them? We all know how that goes.

I think the sad thing is that all that tends to happen with this sort of thing is that it makes it harder for people with issues like Aspergers and Autism to get hired. Businesses see them as a bigger and bigger liability with every suit that comes. His mother may get some money and she might even get this supposed Walk stopped...but she's probably also just made it 50x harder for people like her son to get hired.

Distinct Member

Lady Pallas Athena
I feel horrible for her but I don't quite understand what she's really hoping to accomplish long-term. She can say that it's about this alleged "Walk of Shame"....which by the way is pretty standard policy for most stores. I was caught shoplifting when I was 11 at my local pharmacy. This was back in the 90s. The store security hauled me through the store and when I left it was with the police, again in view of the employees and customers. They aren't going to sneak you out through back exits to protect your imagined dignity, sorry. It's a very effective deterrent for many, I was so embarrassed and scared that I never stole again.

Are businesses never supposed to fire people with mental health issues? Are they supposed to have a Jim Crow "separate but equal" policy for them? We all know how that goes.

I think the sad thing is that all that tends to happen with this sort of thing is that it makes it harder for people with issues like Aspergers and Autism to get hired. Businesses see them as a bigger and bigger liability with every suit that comes. His mother may get some money and she might even get this supposed Walk stopped...but she's probably also just made it 50x harder for people like her son to get hired.

What gets me is its over an altercation outside of work hours, at a bar with a coworker.
Seems like they planned it, and he was fired unlawfully.

Dedicated Student

Lady Pallas Athena

Innocent until proven guilty. Was fired even though no charges were brought against them. I say if this really did happen then that is enough for the mother to file the suit. They broke so many of his rights. No disabled people aren't exempt from being arrested, but at the same time he was fires without any charges brought against him. That is defamation of character and should defiantly go to court.

Sugary Cat

Okay so this is her word against theirs.

If what Target is saying is true, then this person would be too soft to participate in everyday society. Sure it sucks being fired, but that's part of life.

Moonlight Champion

At one of my old work places, an employee was shoplifting. She was caught told her they wont press charges if she pays for the item(s) she stole but she had to either say she quit on her own accord or they would fire her for this. She paid for the items and she 'quit' on her own.

Since we don't know every side of the story in this news case, I can't personally say one thing or the other. Target might want the employee that stole to walk from point A of the store to point B in handcuffs to feel bad for what they did but not press charges at the end if said employee paid for the item(s). I use to work at Target and never saw the 'walk of shame' that they are implying they do. Thing is every store has a slightly different location for their LP (loss prevention) and chances are that is where they were talking to the employee and to have them walk out the store they had to walk a bit. We don't know, we don't have this side of the story.

I don't think it's Target's fault for her sons suicide I don't. Does it suck that he killed himself, of course, but if he truly did something wrong (shoplifting) they the company had every right to have him be walked from point A to point B in handcuffs as long as they didn't 'parade' him around so to speak.

Dedicated Student

MiameMiame
Okay so this is her word against theirs.

If what Target is saying is true, then this person would be too soft to participate in everyday society. Sure it sucks being fired, but that's part of life.

Fired is. Fired for something you didn't do? No. That can ruin your whole life. They basically defamed his character over no charges that were filed. More like where that is concerned it's thier word against hers. Either they should prove he stole or they should take the lawsuit like big boys who can bully another person and think that they'd get away with it.
That is so tragic sad especially since he had a disability.

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Okay, I used to work at Target. Not this Target, but at one. For starters, we had people fired/let go from my Target. There was no walk of shame. They just didn't show up and we all knew what happened because people gossip. As for the walk of shame, there was none of that either. If you were caught stealing, you were marched from where they caught you to the security office, but that was standard for everyone. So, if you got caught in the back in electronics, yes you had to go to the front of the store where the security office was located. However, if you were caught in the front, the march was shorter. It was so you waited with security for authorities to arrive. As for an employee suspected of stealing, it would just be fired and that was that. There was no walk of shame.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Sorry, but no one is to blame for his suicide but the man himself.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
I'm so confused. Did he steal? Or was it about the off-grounds altercation? (Or was it because he had a disability and they just didn't want him anymore?)

Anyway, if he was caught stealing, yeah, it makes sense to be handcuffed and walked out. But if he wasn't CAUGHT, just suspected, then they can ******** off. There's cameras all over Target, though, isn't there?

Well, it sounds like there's SOME reason to sue, but wrongful death may not be that reason.

Sad story.

My cousin is high functioning autistic. Stuff like this makes me really scared for when he has to go out and try to live in the actual world.

dilweedz's Partner

3,150 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Unconditional Heart
Lady Pallas Athena

What gets me is its over an altercation outside of work hours, at a bar with a coworker.
Seems like they planned it, and he was fired unlawfully.

Just because it was outside of work doesn't mean that employers have to ignore it. The reality is that pretty much everything you do reflects upon you and risks your job. I work as a daycare worker. If I decided to drive drunk afterhours or got caught with cocaine on the weekend can I whine that none of the parents should take their kids out of my care because "Well I wasn't watching them while I was high!"?

Employers have a duty to try and ensure a smooth and safe workplace. If one employee is having a problem and especially becoming violent or abusive (even verbally) to another...even afterhours...then it's best if that person is let go.

I highly doubt this was some sort of false flag conspiracy to get rid of the Autistic kid.

Dedicated Student

Shark Bacon
I'm so confused. Did he steal? Or was it about the off-grounds altercation? (Or was it because he had a disability and they just didn't want him anymore?)

Anyway, if he was caught stealing, yeah, it makes sense to be handcuffed and walked out. But if he wasn't CAUGHT, just suspected, then they can ******** off. There's cameras all over Target, though, isn't there?

Well, it sounds like there's SOME reason to sue, but wrongful death may not be that reason.

Sad story.

My cousin is high functioning autistic. Stuff like this makes me really scared for when he has to go out and try to live in the actual world.

Exactly. I'd go for defamation of character and maybe false imprisonment. If they can't provide proof he did it then they had no grounds to do any of that stuff and need to suffer for it. She may not be able to get them for death, but if they can't co.e up with proof they defamed him.

dilweedz's Partner

3,150 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Lupa Fangs Makucha

Innocent until proven guilty. Was fired even though no charges were brought against them. I say if this really did happen then that is enough for the mother to file the suit. They broke so many of his rights. No disabled people aren't exempt from being arrested, but at the same time he was fires without any charges brought against him. That is defamation of character and should defiantly go to court.

I'm not 100% sure on the laws, but stores seem to have the right to seize and hold people accused of shoplifting.

We don't know if this guy did or did not shoplift....but it sounds like he did.

Certainly when I was caught shoplifting there was no innocence. I was an underage minor and I was seized, held downstairs, questioned, my bag was searched and my photo was taken all without a parent present or even notified. If there is a burden of evidence on a store to prove guilt before anything, it never happened for me. There was no photo or video ever given or shown to me or my parents to prove reasonable grounds for holding me and searching my things. This all took probably 20 or 30 minutes and yet the first time my mother knew about it was when the police car rolled up to the house with me in the back. No charges were filed for me either. Guess we should've sued for about 15 different things; unlawful confinement of a minor, kidnapping perhaps, unlawful search, interrogating a minor without a parent or lawyer present, emotional distress....

How does a store prove that someone stole if they're not allowed to hold people or search a bag of a suspected thief?

Stores are pretty good at picking out shoplifters. They don't actually just grab people for nothing.

Dedicated Student

Lady Pallas Athena
Lupa Fangs Makucha

I'm not 100% sure on the laws, but stores seem to have the right to seize and hold people accused of shoplifting.

We don't know if this guy did or did not shoplift....but it sounds like he did.

Certainly when I was caught shoplifting there was no innocence. I was an underage minor and I was seized, held downstairs, questioned, my bag was searched and my photo was taken all without a parent present or even notified. If there is a burden of evidence on a store to prove guilt before anything, it never happened for me. There was no photo or video ever given or shown to me or my parents to prove reasonable grounds for holding me and searching my things. This all took probably 20 or 30 minutes and yet the first time my mother knew about it was when the police car rolled up to the house with me in the back. No charges were filed for me either. Guess we should've sued for about 15 different things; unlawful confinement of a minor, kidnapping perhaps, unlawful search, interrogating a minor without a parent or lawyer present, emotional distress....

How does a store prove that someone stole if they're not allowed to hold people or search a bag of a suspected thief?

Stores are pretty good at picking out shoplifters. They don't actually just grab people for nothing.

How does it sound like he did it? He was let go. They may allow them to be let go at the store where you work if they pay for the item, but that isn't at all stores. And they must of had some proof to be able to accuse him in the first place. If they accused him where is the proof? Now that he is dead they should really cough up the proof or they are responsible for defamation of character.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff