Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hello.
After years of using different computers, buying new HDDs, etc. my storage situation is best described as chaos. What i want to do is go trough all drives, look trough the files, find duplicates, find the latest version of said duplicates, find files that only exist in one place and perhaps copy them over. I would like to have everything in one place after this, so that i can make one proper backup and erase all other drives.

Now i was contemplating to write a program to do that but first i wanted to ask if something like that already exists. OS doesn't matter, i can install Linux on a spare 120GB drive for this operation. However most of the drives in question have NTFS partitions, so it should be able to work with that.
Side note: the PC i want to use for this only has 1GB RAM (It's old. Unfortunately the other two computers are laptops and neither do i have enough HDD enclosures for this nor do i want to use USB for this operation), so it shouldn't be too memory intense.

Shadowy Sleuth

20,750 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hunter 50
haha. i know that feeling. i have a couple of 2.5 and 3.5 hdds along with flash drives that share the same files because i was too lazy to go through every one of them and just grab the nearest one.

i'd like a program that indexes every partition and can weed out duplicate files too. but when i'm looking for a particular file i just go around downloading duplication finder programs and use one until i get the desired result.

afterwards i forget all about it. sweatdrop

Newbie Member

7,400 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Voter 100
As far as I know there isn't any program that does that. The way I find the best to do this even with 20+ drives is the have these folders on your new drive to help sort them.

1 - Programs
2 - Music
3 - Games
4 - Photos
5 - Videos/Movies

This is also good to help you to find files that you want to back up to a CD, DVD, Blu-Ray ect to free up space on your main drives.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff