Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
My main problem with my writing is the style. It's complete garbage, too dry. It feels like everything I write is something like "He opened the door and walked inside. He poured some coffee and drank it. Then he sat down". It's slightly better than that, but you get the idea. Do you guys have tips for improving style?

Questionable Inquisitor

Read a lot, and read like a writer. Notice others' use of details and imagery.

You can also practice writing descriptions by writing about pictures or videos. My English professor had us describe 30 seconds of a youtube video using an ungodly amount of words (I don't remember how much) in order to help us work on description.

I actually have a similar problem with my writing. I'm a very blunt person, so dragging out details is not my forte. I do think it is important to have a good mix of "bland" and detailed, because if everything is incredibly detailed, the story will move at a slow pace and it will be very heavy reading.
Filter it through the point of view character, assuming there is one. You know something like:

He pushed through the door in his zombie mode and went inside. The coffee wasn't fresh, but he drank it anyway. Down he went onto the chair with another day of super fun stuff to do ahead. Oh the joy.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Doesn't sound like you have a lot of subtext. What is the character thinking or feeling? Emotions can impact how we move or act in situations, even how we think. My first cup of coffee on a day off is very different from one when I've stayed up half the night and need a jolt of caffeine to wake me up enough to get to work.

I like analyzing things, reading writers who I like and figuring out how they do what they do, and why I like their style so much more than my own.

I also like writing exercises where I challenge myself to do things that I know I'm struggling with. Setting yourself up for a task where it's not the motions (or the conversation) but the undercurrents going on in a scene might help, because that's going to force you to go into that level of detail to say what you need to say.

Squama's Compadre

Leaf

I get what you mean. gonk I feel that way all the time! I think that's kind of the reason why I'm not as active in my writing nowadays, I kind of worry about it too much.

To tell the truth, though, I don't think that there is just one answer on how to improve writing. I think that every writer and author feels this way at least once, if not all the time; whether they're best-selling and successful or anonymous. So here are just a few things that I've noticed people suggest:

• take a breather from writing (watch movies, tv shows, etc)

• join writing clubs to get perspective from other writers

• Write outside of your normal comfort zone. (analyze your writing style, think about the characters you normally use, and go beyond that. If you're always using the hero, write for the villain; if it's always modern, or post-apocalyptic, throw out some historical stuff.)

• Google "how to improve your writing style" and I do this the most. lol

Dangerous Enabler

Something I've found invaluable is trying to write in someone else's style. It has to be someone whose style you like, usually, but getting out of your comfort zone and having to articulate exactly what goes into writing like someone else can make it easier to fall back on and refine your own voice. Like, try to write something with the dreamy quality of Kazuo Ishiguro and another thing with the alienation of Yasuko Thanh and another thing with the sharp satire of Terry Pratchett and you'll develop the tools to create the style that you most want and that most suits you.

Quotable Noob

3,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • First step to fame 200
I took a couple classes that helped my style a lot but if you don't have one available to you, my best advice is to just write. Worry about style or whether or not it's good later, when you're editing.

You're first draft is not only allowed to be bad, it's kinda supposed to be. Let it be dry. The more you write (and, equally important, read) your style will come.

While I agree that playing with other author's style is an excellent idea, you do want to develop your own style and voice and, personally, I find it difficult not to lose my own style when I use that exercise too much. Just a thought.

Unbeatable Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conventioneer 300
Vary your sentence length. Also, words at the beginning of a sentence can help break the monotone sentence structure. Keep in mind that varying sentence length creates different effects. If you have an interested reader, the sentences can be longer.

Questionable Prophet

phantomkitsune
Something I've found invaluable is trying to write in someone else's style. It has to be someone whose style you like, usually, but getting out of your comfort zone and having to articulate exactly what goes into writing like someone else can make it easier to fall back on and refine your own voice. Like, try to write something with the dreamy quality of Kazuo Ishiguro and another thing with the alienation of Yasuko Thanh and another thing with the sharp satire of Terry Pratchett and you'll develop the tools to create the style that you most want and that most suits you.

I agree with trying this out.
Just short passages in another style can be a good way to kind of flex your writing voice.

Also, trying reading widely and deeply. Like when you read something, really read it. Analyze it. Take it apart and poke at the pieces. Try to figure out why a certain description fits in your mind, why one failed to bring any kind of reaction, why some dialog feels real, or why some feels robotic.

It's going to take a long time to develop a style/voice and not get discouraged.

Lonely Hunter

7,150 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Profitable 100
well this may sound kinda dumb but I imagine a jaded film noir detective narrating any scene.

for example.

the door swung open as a beautiful woman entered the coffee shop, she wore a bright red dress and drew the attention of everyone in the room. she walked right up to the counter and ordered a double moca capacino, She gave the clerk a smile and made her way to her seat.

as apposed to

Scarlet, the kind of Red that the devil would wear and she, like the devil could steal the hearts and souls of any old fool, everyones gaze was locked on her, like mosquito's drawn to hellfire. she sauntered her way to the counter and ordered some sickly syrupy concoction, flashed a half smile, raised eyebrow, and turned to take her seat. she was magnificent, but god did she know it.

now, both are complete crap and i'll admit it. but at least the latter is entertaining. I like to imagine how characters would describe the event in question. and i find this particularly helpful if the story is from said characters perspective.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff