Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
A New York man who rented a bulldozer from a local construction company and demolished the house that he lived in with his wife, whose name is on the deed and who did not know about the razing, told NBC 4 New York he did it because it was dilapidated and needed to come down.

The foundation of his Middletown home was crumbling from years of disrepair, 48-year-old James Rhein said Tuesday afternoon, and he tried to get a permit to demolish it himself Monday but couldn't because the office he needed to visit was closed due to the federal holiday.

"So I took it down, that's it," said Rhein, who was arrested Monday in the process of demolishing his home. Police said he was knocking the single-family house to the ground with an excavator and tossing the debris in Dumpsters when they arrived; they said he didn't try to run and was cooperative.

Rhein's wife is the legal owner of the home. She was not there when it was razed and police said she had no idea it was happening. Rhein said he tried to call her before beginning the demolition but she didn't pick up her phone; all items left in the home when it was destroyed were replaceable, he said.

Neighbor Darryl Horn said Rhein's wife drove up to find her home reduced to rubble.

"She was very upset. She was in the middle of the road screaming, 'her house, what happened to her house?'" said Horn.

Rhein admitted to NBC 4 New York his wife was distraught initially.

"But now she's over it," Rhein said. "We're good. I'm a good husband, what can I tell you?"

He apparently notified utilities companies in advance of the demolition because electric, water and gas lines to the house were shut off. No one was injured. Rhein says he doesn't believe he did anything wrong and that police overreacted.

NBC 4 New York made multiple attempts to contact Rhein's wife Tuesday night but was unable to reach her.

Rhein was charged with criminal mischief and released on $300 bail. He has one previous arrest in 2013 regarding a case of harassment; his wife was not involved.

He's due back in Middletown City Court on Jan. 30. Information on an attorney for Rhein wasn't immediately available.

Bringing down the house

kuroreo's Waifu

Peaceful Light

27,575 Points
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ultimate Player 200
Patience is a virtue and a good husband is one who actually communicates with the wife before doing anything that would impact their lives. It comes down to the fact that he could have waited to get a permit and talked it over with his wife so she would have had a chance to get anything she needed/wanted personally from the house before he went and bulldozed it over. He acted selfishly imo.

Oh, also, if he had time to get everything turned off and prepared beforehand, he had time to inform his wife about his intentions.

Ferocious Browser

What items with emotional value? What about photo albums? Or unprocessed memory cards? Or hard drives with data? What about their deed? Or their marriage certificate?

@_@

This guy sounds like a nutso....but I guess there truly is someone out there for everyone since she forgave him.

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
This guy shouldn't be allowed out without a keeper.

PralineQueen's Husband

Conservative Cat

13,750 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Married 100
Sleeping on the couch tonight...

Just as soon as he can find it under the rubble.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
CBS reporters who happened to "run into him" when they were driving around (before he was arrested) and interviewed him on camera. The guy is an immature idiot. He says he did have permission. "house belongs to your wife" "well we are married"... "apparently you had no permission" "apparently you are wrong".

Oh and he had NO permit or anything from the town giving him legal permission for doing this, and emergency crews had to be the ones to turn off the utilities.

Kawaii Shoujo

emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Dumbass of the Year

Friendly Phantom

5,850 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
Can anyone say... Divorce? I'd divorce his a** for doing all that s**t or better yet, I'd chop his p***s off. emotion_donotwant No kidding about the chopping part but I would divorce his a** though. emotion_facepalm

Magical Bunny

14,350 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
crazy is all i can say, cuz how can u bulldoze your own house without taking out ur stuff.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Update on this story has it that the two of them had had an argument shortly before all this had happened. I said to myself "and there it is"

Feral Nymph

Nyadriel
Update on this story has it that the two of them had had an argument shortly before all this had happened. I said to myself "and there it is"

While I'm not surprised, that still takes some Grade A Crazy to then grab a excavator and tear the house apart. Get out while you can, lady.

Hardworking Garbage

Are you sure that wasn't Peter Griffin? It certainly sounds like a Peter Griffin.

Wintry Dragon

Fox Platinum
Are you sure that wasn't Peter Griffin? It certainly sounds like a Peter Griffin.
You could be correct. It sounds so much like something he'd do.

Playful Guildswoman

You certainly do find the interesting stories.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff