Welcome to Gaia! ::

Visitor

+1 1 100.0% [ 4 ]
Total Votes:[ 4 ]

My laptop computer starts up at random times and will sound like it is using heavy processing power (fans going full blast, CD drive makes loud start-up noise) but the monitor stays black and I am unable to wake the screen by clicking/moving the mouse or using the touch pad. I have taken numerous approaches to remedying the problem to no avail. The only way I can regain control of my computer is through unplugging the charger and popping out the battery to force a shut down.

Google has failed me. The anti-virus guide has failed me because it is over 5 years old, and I read the thread where The Last Rydian himself said it is becoming more and more useless because the site admins are too shortsighted to let anyone update it (they think it is still fine as it is, over 5 years later). Please help!

Quick Background
• My laptop is an Alienware M17xR3
• I am running Windows 7 Home Premium
• The start ups do not follow any specific schedule (I have noted instances at 5:47am, 3:13am, 12:21am, 8:33am, 2:05pm to name a few)
• I have disabled Wake on LAN and still face this recurring problem
• I have run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and have found 0 hits
• Since I have to restart the computer in order to access the monitor, I am unable to run "powerconfig lastwake"

Shadowy Sleuth

20,750 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hunter 50
so you've tried going into safe mode but it still happens?
what antivirus have you tried?
have you tried more drastic options like ComboFix, TDSSKiller, or Norton Power Eraser?
have you tried running a live OS (like ubuntu, mint, etc) to see if this still happens (then it might indicate a hardware problem)
Miserable pile of secrets
have you tried more drastic options like ComboFix, TDSSKiller, or Norton Power Eraser?
have you tried running a live OS (like ubuntu, mint, etc) to see if this still happens (then it might indicate a hardware problem)

"what antivirus have you tried?"
Your question confused me because I had already mentioned I used Malwarebytes anti-malware and thought it protected against viruses (since viruses are a type of malware) but upon further research (prompted by your question) I found it's good to pair Malwarebytes with Avast antivirus according to LifeHacker.com. Would you agree that Avast is a good pairing? Is there another antivirus program you would recommend?

The computer actually starts as a black screen, so I can't even access the boot options or settings unfortunately.

I will try those drastic options now, thank you.

I think installing a different OS is more of a last resort for me.

Thanks for your input!

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Malware Bytes tends to deal in more spyware and non virus infections. Viruses are a broad enough category to detect without adding all the others on top. You'd just end up with a detection list that could reach to the end of the universe and thus slow it down.

You WILL need an antivirus with Malware Bytes. Two good and free ones are Avast and Avira. Pick one antivirus program as more than one will cause trouble since they will fight each other and may even tag each other as viruses (rare but it can happen).

Shadowy Sleuth

20,750 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hunter 50
aSHYian
Miserable pile of secrets

"what antivirus have you tried?"
Your question confused me because I had already mentioned I used Malwarebytes anti-malware and thought it protected against viruses (since viruses are a type of malware) but upon further research (prompted by your question) I found it's good to pair Malwarebytes with Avast antivirus according to LifeHacker.com. Would you agree that Avast is a good pairing? Is there another antivirus program you would recommend?

The computer actually starts as a black screen, so I can't even access the boot options or settings unfortunately.

I will try those drastic options now, thank you.

I think installing a different OS is more of a last resort for me.

Thanks for your input!

i use avira cause its always had better detection than avast (in my experience, also i don't need to register to use avira)
you don't have to install a live OS. a live OS is an operating system that can be run off a cd or bootable. you have the option of installing it when you boot into it but its not necessary.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff