Welcome to Gaia! ::

Americans spend the best part of one's lives earning money and degrees in order to enjoy a questionable liberty at the least valuable part of it.

Fanatical Phantom

I'd rather be in college classes with people my age. Right now I am like six years older than the people in my classes and I feel like the odd one out. They're all so annoyingly immature.
When I first started school, I thought it was a bit strange and preferred to work mostly with people my age, but I found that the "non-traditionally aged" students were much more pleasant to work with because they were often more serious about their education. I know all cases are different, but in general (at least at my school) the people my age were spoiled rich kids being paid for by their parents who didn't take many of our classes seriously, whereas the older folks were there paying out of their own pockets and therefore worked harder. I was a TA my Junior year during the summer session for one of my major's most notoriously difficult classes, and because of the time of year, many of my students were older, and they were SO much more attentive than the ones my age, and their grades reflected that. My only negative experience with an older student was a lab partner I had in one class...she never seemed to take me seriously because I was younger than her and kind of had an attitude, but she must have just been insecure or something (or maybe I was no better than the other punk kids my age haha)...!

Precious Hellraiser

12,425 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
Depends on the subject, type of class (lecture hall or small class room), and how much older they are. In my ballet class, there were people that were a lot older than I was expecting to be in the class, and they didn't even look like they would be that old. But it was nice having conversations with them and sharing experiences.

On the flip side, having an average size class with students mostly the same age as me was felt like I was back in high school. I didn't make any friends in the classes with people who the the same age/same year as me. So I guess I like slightly older mature classmates.

Sparkly Duck

I can only tell you one thing about my situation, and that is flirting with people my own age is much easier. What else is the classroom good for? dramallama dramallama dramallama
Age isn't a factor to me I work well with anyone!
As long as they are quiet, I don't care. Most of the students are 18-21. I am turning 25 next month and already have a kid. Not much relate-able between my classmates and me. It is terrible because my teachers usually assume I am 18 since I look young, so they often think I am not that serious about my education. gonk
Sexts
My age. I have a mix of people in my classes, aged between 18 to 50.

One day I came to class and my seat was taken, so I went and sat on this table with these 30+ chicks. All they would talk about is kids and childbirth and it got pretty in depth and gross. I was sitting there with my 3ds whilst they were talking about tiny human beings escaping their vaginas. It was too much for me so I ended up moving tables.

Im all for different age friends but that was downright awkward.

What is terrible is when they assume you want to talk about their kids just because you have a kid. "Sorry, don't give a s**t about your kid, and I don't feel like talking about mine." lol

Kawaii Phantom

14,500 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
I like being in class with people who are around my age or older.
They tend to be more serious about their work.
Not always (as I've seen in my Chinese course), but most of the time.

In my experience, younger people are annoying as hell; they talk a lot, are a bother and are constantly busy on their phones during lectures (man, I'm starting to sound like those obnoxious boomers right now), but want the teacher to record their lectures while they sit and ruin the class for the rest of us who don't own a recorder.

Unfortuntely, most colleges in my area rarely have older students.

Blessed Prophet

When I did college, in first semester of my program, my class age ranged from 18-40, with the average(mode???) being around 25.
Most people in my class already had a university degree. . .all from the same university ironically. And most of the people straight from high school decided to get a university degree after the program. . .all at the same university as well, and the same university the other people in the class had a degree in.

Blessed Prophet

zweet_dreamz
I like being in class with people who are around my age or older.
They tend to be more serious about their work.
Not always (as I've seen in my Chinese course), but most of the time.

In my experience, younger people are annoying as hell; they talk a lot, are a bother and are constantly busy on their phones during lectures (man, I'm starting to sound like those obnoxious boomers right now), but want the teacher to record their lectures while they sit and ruin the class for the rest of us who don't own a recorder.

Unfortuntely, most colleges in my area rarely have older students.

how old are you? because that defines what you're saying here.

Blessed Prophet

TooSpeedy
Age isn't a factor to me I work well with anyone!

True.
In college I was more likely to talk to people who had similar interests/backgrounds/study habits to me rather than people around my age.

I mean, once you hit about 20, I find age really isn't an issue(less people under 1 cool except when it comes to sexual relations.

My social group ranges from age 20 to age 37, but if I include my overlap groups(people I associate with through mutual friends who aren't good friends to me) would probably go from 18 to late 40s.

Timid Seeker

It's sometimes a little awkward in classes where the students interact with eachother more. If an older, say 25 to 35 year old man, is in the class there will surely be 19-23 year olds flirting with him even if he's already married. It was awkward going to lab sessions and having to endure listening to it.

Otherwise, it's alright. I haven't went to school with her, but a female mentor in one of our nearby college ministries went back to school to complete a nursing degree. She graduated with psychology and went into counseling, and then decided to go a different route later in life (I think she was around 30 when she went back). She seemed really happy about her decision, so I can imagine that going to classes with her and getting to know her personally would have been great.

For one of my gen-ed classes, there was a women there as well who was in her 30s. I think she had a child in elementary school already; she had well thought-out perspectives during discussion and she could relate it back to her own experiences. Compared to other students there, in their 18-24 range, she was more down to earth and lacking the ego that younger students immediately entering a four year university have.

Invisible Senshi

Personally, I'd say...people who are older than me.
They usually know when to shut up and they are more likely to keep their whining to themselves...
I guess i prefer class with people my age just because for the most part we have more in common and we can relate to each other more. But at the same time i have made some friends in college that were much older than me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff