Welcome to Gaia! ::

Universal Champion

14,475 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
I have a GPS (sorry, I don't own a smartphone capable of GPS) that you plug into your cigarette lighter and I also have a radar detector that plugs in there too. I also saw some other things I might want to get in the future...but they also plug into the lighter. Is there any product that let's you plug multiple things in at once? Or, if it helps, I also have a USB slot in the car.

Also, would plugging multiple things in reduce the batter life or anything of the car?
How the ******** do you plug anything into a cigarette lighter?
If you can, try to find plugs from your gps/radar to usb. I would get the 'cigarrette/12v? plug-in' that also has a usb outlet on it also.

Plugging multiple things will kill your battery life IF the car isn't running, but even when the car is running it'll drain it abit. You'll be fine with 3-4 things running as long as you're driving the car around for the alternator to keep the charge up.

tldr; find adaptors that fit your needs, i'm sure they're out there. plugging multiple things won't reduce battery life as long as you have the car running and driving it. don't have the car in 'on' position for long periods of time just to use your electronics, it will drain battery.
Robert Ramos
I have a GPS (sorry, I don't own a smartphone capable of GPS) that you plug into your cigarette lighter and I also have a radar detector that plugs in there too. I also saw some other things I might want to get in the future...but they also plug into the lighter. Is there any product that let's you plug multiple things in at once? Or, if it helps, I also have a USB slot in the car.

Also, would plugging multiple things in reduce the batter life or anything of the car?

Here's a quick breakdown of how things happen in relation to your battery, under the hood.

Your alternator provides a recharge at a set rate for your battery, while the car is running. You engine, and all your electrical goodies (lights, radio, and anything you plug into your 12v outlet and usb port) drain the battery at a specific rate. As long as you're not draining more than you're recharging, you'll be fine.

You can get 12v outlet splitters which will ad 1 or 2 or 3 more 12v outlets, and most of them have either a fuse or a breaker than will blow or pop when you've overloaded it. You can even get inverters which run off your 12v outlet or straight off your battery to provide a bit of normal household current and a standard household plug (for laptops or small radios etc).

You can also buy a bigger battery, and a stronger alternator if you want to run a small power plant out of your car. It all depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to do with your car.

If all you want to do is run your GPS (very little energy drain), your radar detector (also very little energy drain) and a phone charger, a 3 way splitter should be fine.

12v socket 4 way splitter

Inverter type power supply

Universal Champion

14,475 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
Diu Regina In Damnatis
American cars? idk I thought it was something all cars had.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Also, thank you to the other 2 posters. 3nodding
Robert Ramos
Diu Regina In Damnatis
American cars? idk I thought it was something all cars had.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

OHHHHHHHH I GET IT

Also, thank you to the other 2 posters. 3nodding

Universal Champion

14,475 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
Diu Regina In Damnatis

OHHHHHHHH I GET IT

You're living up to your name, Duh.

Ha! smile

peace
Robert Ramos
Diu Regina In Damnatis

OHHHHHHHH I GET IT

Ha! smile

peace

I hope the lighter ejects miraculously and lands on your nose.

Universal Champion

14,475 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
Diu Regina In Damnatis
Robert Ramos
Diu Regina In Damnatis

OHHHHHHHH I GET IT

Ha! smile

peace

I hope the lighter ejects miraculously and lands on your nose.
heart
Hahahaha.

The feels when the new generation doesn't know what a car cigarette lighter is... sad
But 12v Input is the proper term for that "cig. lighter socket"

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces