Welcome to Gaia! ::

Witty Phantom

I read whenever I can, but I guess I read more at night than during the day. I think that's just because I have classes during the day, though. Sometimes I'll read one book at a time, but other times I read several. I read for as long as possible. I usually finish a book in 1-3 days because of that.

I NEVER dog ear pages. It drives me crazy. I'm one of those "treat a book like a holy possesion" people, so my books stay in near perfect conditions.

I don't use bookmarks or paper. It may sound odd, but I actually just remember the page number of the last page I was on. I had a bad habit of leaving bookmarks in books and forgetting about them, so I just stopped using them all together.

A "bookish" habit of mind would probably be that when I sit and read I end up moving all over the place. Like I'll start sitting upright in a chair in the living room but then end up in the floor or something like that. I have found there is literally no way to sit comfortably when reading. I may just be fidget-y, but my roommate does this also XD
I haven't been reading much in the last few years for personal reasons, but I decided to make an actual effort to get over that. So with the sizable gap, then coming back to more reading, I've noticed some things I guess I didn't before? Or at least it wasn't so notable to me then?

It has to be quiet. I've been around people who do things like read at picnics, or in the corner at parties. And ok, they can do what they want, but H O W. This is why I've been reading mostly at night, why I tend to like night anyway. It's quiet. But I can read in libraries and I remember reading the 7th Harry Potter at the kitchen table because it was actually decently quiet.

Dog-eared pages make me sad D: I always try to fix them when I find them. My bookmarks range from nice metal bookstore kinds, to random receipts or candy wrappers (not sticky) that are within arm's reach.

I suppose a habit of mine that might be weird is that I stack books on the floor. I've never really had a constant, good book case (at least one that fits all of them) so they get stacked on the floor. I really want to get some nice shelves as soon as possible, though. Big ones.

Mythical Mystic

I tend to read a book in a single sitting - that is my preferred way to read. I only read one book at a time.
I usually read during the day or late at night. It all depends on when I am off from class and work and how much homework I have to struggle with.
Dog-eared pages make me weep inside. If I have to put the book down, I memorize the page number.
Electronica Babe
Do you prefer to...

Read during the day?
During the night?
One book at at time?
Several books at one?
Read small pieces through out the day?
Read for as long as you can in one sitting?
Dog-ear the corners?
Do you use scraps of paper or a real bookmark?

what are your book-ish habits?

Night
One at a time
Small pieces and As much as I can
If you do this, I will hunt you down.
Paper. I loose bookmarks. Then I feel bad.

Dangerous Tactician

7,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I read whenever I can whether it be at the dinner table or in class.
I try to read one book at a time, and I usually do if I'm very interested in it. Otherwise I'll jump around.
I use everything as bookmarks. Money, pencils, scraps of paper, a stapler. If its within arms reach then it turns into a bookmark.

I also tend to lay down while reading. It'll read the right side of the book while laying on my right then roll on to my left side to read the other side.

Fluffy Trickster

Unhealthy addiction gonk someone help me
I prefer to read when i know i have a lot of time to read, especially known to marathon through books abd won't stop if i can...
Lots of procrastinatio happen on the way,so...i try not to read too much
Once i start, it's the start of a trouble.

Recently, i try to pick up a non-story, but technical book and see if i can get to gain from reading rather than just entertaintment.

In a relationship with davidmerwin

Shameless Bookworm

25,050 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
everything but dog-earing the corners. that irritates the hell out of me. that and using the dustcover as a book mark, i will remove it before i even start the book.
i do the most reading on my "weekends" (my weekends are on mondays and tuesdays due to my career but that's beside the point) during the daytime. otherwise, it's during short stretches at night. i don't much like reading before bed; oftentimes i'm too tired to really focus. or i get really into it and it keeps me up at night! my favourite place to read is on a long bus or train ride; or sitting in a coffee shop where there's no one to bother me.

for the most part i prefer to read one book at a time, but if i'm reading something very long and heavy in content, i might grab another, shorter, easier book to read alongside it. i read whenever i've got time - for an hour if i can, or for fifteen minutes if i can.

i dog-ear the corners because i am awful. that being said! i don't feel too bad about it because all of my books are bought secondhand as a rule. i'd like to get myself some nice, proper bookmarks though. sometimes i'll use, like, subway transfers or old receipts but they're just so damn ugly and easy to misplace.

PriestessAmy's Princess

Sparkly Bun

trick mirrors
for the most part i prefer to read one book at a time, but if i'm reading something very long and heavy in content, i might grab another, shorter, easier book to read alongside it.

I do that sometimes. Like if I'll be going on a trip where I know I'm going to be in a car for extended periods of time. My stepdad likes to listen to books on tape, and if I'm trying to read something heavy, I'll miss half of it because I'm focusing on tuning out whatever he's listening to. Like, the last trip we took, I was reading Emma, but I couldn't follow it in a moving vehicle with someone talking constantly. So I picked up the Eli Monpress books for the trip.

Or if I'm sick or overly tired. Basically, anytime I think my mental faculties are not up to following my main book. sweatdrop

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
I read when I have the time, which can be pockets during the day, but generally at night.

I tend to read in chunks of chapters, where I won't stop until I reach the end of a chapter or a paragraph (where it cuts off into another tangent, and there's that space), because it's easier to pick up where I left off instead of trying to find where I left off (I will in an emergency, but I'd rather not. I've come to dislike books with really long chapters).

I tend to maybe start with multiple books, but it usually whittles down to one at a time (I go to the library and pick up a stack of interesting looking books, and the most interesting is usually the one that I read). But if I fly through it, there's backups.

Since most of my books get checked out at the library, I try and respect it and don't fold pages or dog ear the books. Once, somebody got a library book and scribbled out the swears. I was so mad, because it would throw me off.

I do have one bookmark (it's old, and I don't even know how I came to own it), but if I can't find it, I will use scraps of paper or something else flat (I don't like using the bookmarks that are bulky in any way. Those metal ones that mark the page, or the ones with ribbons and beads on the end irritate me. I need it to be flat. I'm OCD like that.)

Divine Phantom

I'm the type of person who devours the whole book once I'm hooked - so I tend not to read more than one book at a time
I dog ear the pages cos I lost all my bookmarks, theyre probably in some other books somewhere
I tend to dodge most book series cos I find if theres more than three books it gets really boring and dragged out
I love reading and I tend to read a few books at one; usually one for pleasure and a few for school.

I used to be someone who would dog ear pages, but I got out of that habit and not have actual bookmarks to use.

I can say that one thing that hasn't changed is that I read for as long as I possibly can.
I have read entire books in a singe sitting without doing anything else during the day.

yum_puddi

Destitute Faun

34,240 Points
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Budding Witch 250
I usually read right before bed and occasionally on the bus (but sometimes reading in a vehicle makes me nauseous).

Because of my books all being second hand I do dog ear the corners to save my place, but if the book is borrowed I'll use a scrap of paper. I do have a few cute bookmarks but I never use them for fear of misplacing them. If I can't find anything to use it's not a big deal; I usually put a book down at a section break or end of a chapter so it's easy to find my place.

Reading before bed helps me get to sleep, so I usually read for as long as my eyes will permit.

I use to read multiple books at once but I find myself losing interest in books faster when I have another, more interesting book to read. That's why I started only reading one book at a time.

I don't really have any odd reading habits. I do have a little notebook where I write down words I'm not familiar with to look up later. I generally avoid books that are in a series (no reason, really). I prefer soft to hard covered books. I get my love of reading from my mother, who will read anything.

Zphal's Wife

Shy Conversationalist

I prefer reading at night after my kids go to sleep. It's just easier than being interrupted 24,000 times with "Mommy? Mom? Mooooom?"

How long I read depends on my mood and how tired I am. But I usually prefer to read through an entire chapter rather than stopping in the middle of it.

I read on my kindle because it's easier in the dark.

Omnipresent Genius

15,075 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conversationalist 100
I mostly have time to read at night or when I'm on the can. I usually read two books at a time. I read most books on the Kindle, which automatically saves your progress; when I'm reading a graphic novel, I usually just remember the page numbers or else use a scrap of paper.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff