Welcome to Gaia! ::

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
When I was a child, I read all sorts of different books . This fostered my love of reading and turned me into the bookworm that I am today. I mainly got interested through my mother who read to me often

Diamond Bear

mom would always buy me a book if i asked.
and she used to read to me before bedtime
so yeah.
i haven't read as much in recent years because of college and work, but i'm making more of an effort this time around

Hilarious Lunatic

My mom taught me the basics. But I mostly learned how to read by myself. Like, she taught me words, but I would always pick up new books. I already knew how to spell computer in preschool, my older sister asked me to spell it for her.

Mom said I read to her. I don't remember my early childhood, so I guess I always was a book lover.

Lavish Consumer

11,000 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
I probably wasn't seriously passionate about reading until I was 14 or 15.

Dapper Shopper

8,500 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Signature Look 250
It started with Enid Blyton.

Niroshan's Princess

Distinct Connoisseur

14,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
when i was little, my mum did not want me to read fiction. so i trained myself to finish a book between the end of school and playing sport after school.

Mythical Mystic

I wasn't a big reader until about 3rd grade. My mom had spent my entire childhood reading with my brother and I so that we associated books with love and affection. We had to do 25-books-a-year in my elementary schools and most times I would just use the books my mom and I read together.
But, we were in the library one day and I picked up a book just by chance. I took it home, read it, and fell in absolute love with the book. I have been actively reading ever since then. It wasn't until about 5-years later that I remembered the name of the book enough to look for it in the bookstore so that I had my own copy of The Darkangel by Meredith Ann Pierce - which she made into a trilogy.

Original Gaian

8,300 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100
The Harry Potter series is the reason I became a reader and it will always have a place in my heart.

I could not read until the 6th grade. (Yay American school systems. That made me about 11-12 ish) The school system just pushed me on through. My grade point average leave elementary school was 1.5. For many people they dislike a task because it is difficult for them or they are not good at it right away. That was reading reading for me. 100 pages for me might as well have been torture. During middle school/Jr. High (6th grade) orientation the teachers pulled my parents aside and addressed to them that it was apparent that I could not read properly. I was thrown into a remedial reading class. As I struggled through the class Harry Potter was a huge thing in school, my friends were trying to get me to read it left and right. As the movie was announced early in the year and I was still struggling with my reading class I picked up Harry Potter. Harry Potter was the first book that was an adventure for me to read, it wasn't difficult, and was the first to show me that reading can be fun. For the struggling reader that I was, it was a life changing experience. I read the first 4 Harry Potters 4 times before the first movie came out.

From then on, I read as if I was making up for lost time.

In a relationship with davidmerwin

Shameless Bookworm

25,050 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
i started liking books when i was young... like 5 or so according to my mom. i've always loved to read but the one series that got me hooked to reading ALL THE TIME (literally) was Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth novels. i found those when i was fourteen/fifteen when i had major surgeries on my ankles.

Generous Lunatic

I got interested in books when I realized I could read a whole one by myself without any help when I was seven. The American Girl and Dear America books hold special places in my heart because they were among the first books I read by myself and they kickstarted my interest in history.

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
Since I was in the first grade.

Risky Seeker

8,925 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Invisibility 100
Ever since I was little and my grandfather let me read the magazines in his office at work. I've been reading plenty of NatGeo magazines before progressing to novels.

Kawaii Shoujo

I think for me it was in my somewhat later years of elementary school, I am something of an introvert, and my favorite magazines to read even today is the Nintendo Power magazines.
When I was eight years old I went through a brief period of being like more-grounded-than-grounded. No electronics, no nothing.

My mom gave me books so I'd have something to do besides cry into my pillow, and I hesitantly read them and actually enjoyed them. Then I read more. And more.

Never regretted becoming a bookworm to this day, except for my dad adding "reading for fun" on my punishments a few times later on.

Nuclear Werewolf

I used to look at picture books a lot when I was in preschool and kindergarten, particularly about animals and dinosaurs, but when I was six-turning-seven, I had a panic about being behind the curve compared to other kids coming into first grade, since I never even learned the alphabet. So, with a tiny bit of help from my dad at first, I taught myself to read chapter books over the summer. Turns out I was the fastest and best reader in class. cat_rolleyes Couldn't pronounce anything properly, but I could blast though Goosebumps in no time at all, haha.

Been a long love affair since. Don't think I've ever really not been reading, even though there are slow times on occasion.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff