Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feedback wise, items that don't seem to make sense when in a hand pose- this being one of them.
I came across the "Commander of the" set to notice that there's a small issue here. Not sure if anything can be done, but it stood out as very.. annoying.

User Image

Do the artists even look at such things when making an item? I'm positive it doesn't take much work to make the sword look like it's being held, especially with the pose it's in. There's two full holding poses to where the sword is floating there.. not held.

This is very disappointing seeing that certain poses help express actions of the avatar, compared to others. I'm unable to do so because of this.

Admin reply & example

Star-Crossed Seraph

25,775 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Object of Affection 150
They have had this problem for years as to how the off hand holds a weapon of any kind. Wouldn't be all that hard to pick up a ruler in that hand to see how it should be held, but apparently no one has thought about that yet. Or when the weapon hilt seems to be pasted to the female avatar's wrist in the forehand.

Sparkly Unicorn

29,850 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Team Carl 200
I'm pretty sure he's grabbing the blade of the sword, and not the hilt... that's gotta hurt. Closed hand or not, at least position it so you're holding the right part of the sword.

Perfect Saint

I guess their only solution is to make hand mods that cover the arms themselves like the ones we see in the Princess of Lalune items.
Arowan
I'm pretty sure he's grabbing the blade of the sword, and not the hilt... that's gotta hurt. Closed hand or not, at least position it so you're holding the right part of the sword.

Not as much as you'd think; historical two-handed sword techniques included so-called "half swording" techniques where you would actually grab the blade with one hand. Two possible applications were:

-Improving accuracy when thrusting the sword to exploit holes in your opponent's armour;
-Actually using the blade as a mace / polearm haft, and using either the handguard or pommel as a striking weapon.

While knights generally wore gauntlets while doing this, it could be done bare-handed by a skilled user.

@OP: What you're seeing is, and has always been, because the female avatar's hands in certain positions (either hand down, or the back hand semi-up) are open-handed. The correction you seem to be asking for would involve the sword being built as part of an arm mod, which would reduce compatibility with other upper body items.

And even then, based on your screenshot, I imagine it to be more like how someone would hold a sheathed sword just before drawing.

In a relationship with ThemseIf

Otherworldly Bear

17,150 Points
  • First Fall 15
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
The swords always seemed to be sheathed to me, but that particular one almost seems like it's floating... weird.
While I would like it to be fixed, like they were holding on to it, I think that would be more like an arm mod... but still, would be nice ^^"
Sandokiri
Arowan

Not as much as you'd think; historical two-handed sword techniques included so-called "half swording" techniques where you would actually grab the blade with one hand. Two possible applications were:

-Improving accuracy when thrusting the sword to exploit holes in your opponent's armour;
-Actually using the blade as a mace / polearm haft, and using either the handguard or pommel as a striking weapon.

While knights generally wore gauntlets while doing this, it could be done bare-handed by a skilled user.

@OP: What you're seeing is, and has always been, because the female avatar's hands in certain positions (either hand down, or the back hand semi-up) are open-handed. The correction you seem to be asking for would involve the sword being built as part of an arm mod, which would reduce compatibility with other upper body items.

And even then, based on your screenshot, I imagine it to be more like how someone would hold a sheathed sword just before drawing.
Well, without an actual sheath for the item, it doesnt work.
This could be done by simple changing the position of the sword as you do some items.
Such as with the Ancient Katana. It's more realistic looking just by facing it forward, rather than the floating sword next to the avatar.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Then you have the Bloody Cherub.
The way it's placed between arm and body gives it an easier, more realistic feel.

I understand that we all see things differently, but I do like some realistic perspectives put into items to make it do-able and able to work without mods (I'm not a fan of arm mods, which is what brought this up.)
Paranormal Teddy
The swords always seemed to be sheathed to me, but that particular one almost seems like it's floating... weird.
While I would like it to be fixed, like they were holding on to it, I think that would be more like an arm mod... but still, would be nice ^^"
I went ahead and quoted Sandokiri with some tekteks of what I would rather see/prefer to make it more accurate looking, in my opinion. Would it be something similar?

In a relationship with ThemseIf

Otherworldly Bear

17,150 Points
  • First Fall 15
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
Lets Eat Pizza
Paranormal Teddy
I went ahead and quoted Sandokiri with some tekteks of what I would rather see/prefer to make it more accurate looking, in my opinion. Would it be something similar?

I like how the katana looks, honestly they always kinda looked like they should be more like that to me. The second still looks sort of weird without a sheath, but better than what it is now. Larger swords should probably be like the second, so that they're not floating, and smaller (thinner) swords should be like the katana, in my opinion.
Paranormal Teddy
Lets Eat Pizza
Paranormal Teddy

I like how the katana looks, honestly they always kinda looked like they should be more like that to me. The second still looks sort of weird without a sheath, but better than what it is now. Larger swords should probably be like the second, so that they're not floating, and smaller (thinner) swords should be like the katana, in my opinion.
Agreed C:

Unicorn

If they moved that particular sword to be in your hand, it wouldn't fit in the avatar box. The tip of the blade is already right at the edge.

Strawberrei's Kouhai

Shirtless Sex Symbol

19,800 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50
I hate how frequently handhelds look off in terms of perspective. Some really nice poses are often ruined and are unusable because of the awkward position.

Apart from that though, there's another perspective issue that Gaia has had - especially in the last year. Certain artists lately have been copying/pasting certain portions of hats or hairs from frontview poses to the back view poses and often times the perspective is off.

The recolour, Spirited Holiday Sprite (and the original) hat is really nice... but the back view pose of the hat is a copy and pasted version of the front - just flipped. Looks a little awkward from behind:

Lady Jayne and the Mummy is an older example. The right portion of the hair has always been the same between front-view and back-view poses giving it a front-facing perspective from behind:

There are many other examples though. I wish that before items were rereleased, the artists take a step back and look to see if the perspective on all poses were correct.
StarieMichie
If they moved that particular sword to be in your hand, it wouldn't fit in the avatar box. The tip of the blade is already right at the edge.
It's not hard for them to make it fit.
Zandy
I hate how frequently handhelds look off in terms of perspective. Some really nice poses are often ruined and are unusable because of the awkward position.

Apart from that though, there's another perspective issue that Gaia has had - especially in the last year. Certain artists lately have been copying/pasting certain portions of hats or hairs from frontview poses to the back view poses and often times the perspective is off.

The recolour, Spirited Holiday Sprite (and the original) hat is really nice... but the back view pose of the hat is a copy and pasted version of the front - just flipped. Looks a little awkward from behind:

Lady Jayne and the Mummy is an older example. The right portion of the hair has always been the same between front-view and back-view poses giving it a front-facing perspective from behind:

There are many other examples though. I wish that before items were rereleased, the artists take a step back and look to see if the perspective on all poses were correct.
Yikes.
Despite artists being rushed, I figured they need to take some pride in their own. Guess I'm expecting too much.

Even one artist double checking another's work. Proofreading an item, in a way.

Wintry Dragon

Lets Eat Pizza
StarieMichie
It's not hard for them to make it fit.
Would they cut the tip out or shorten the blade entirely? Would that be acceptable to most?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff