Welcome to Gaia! ::

So, I went to see the last installment of The Hobbit trilogy and holy crap! I cried so much.

It was so well done, acting, the script, the choreography for the battle scenes, the costumes and makeup. Its all so good.

The way Richard Armitage played Thorin in this one was amazing. To act with much madness is a skill not many actors can do.

Kili and Fili's death scenes were the hardest to watch, even as a kid when I read the books and it was the worst thing to read. Evangeline Lily's acting was superb also, especially after Kili dies.

What were your thoughts on the new movie?
I still think it should have been one movie.

That said, seeing Saruman kicking a** like that was great.

Time-traveling Defender

25,115 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
I really enjoyed it, though I don't think it was as good as the others. The animation bothered me a bit.
Ugh ugh ugh the saddest parts for me were the ones regarding Thorin. I nearly cried during the acorn scene where he was smiling at Bilbo. He just looked so... happy. emotion_facepalm
The animation was a bit iffy, bit still spectacular. Galadriel scared the s**t out of me though, like ******** man.

I too teared up at that part, he was at peace when watching Bilbo, but then the madness took over again which tore me apart.

They couldn't make it all one movie or it would have been like, 6/7hours long. Splitting it up is a good way for people to take breaks when and if they do a marathon as it forces them to move and change the disk.

Melodious Member

18,065 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Generous 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
It was a perfect finale to a great trilogy. I'm glad that they made it into 3 movies, otherwise I think that it would have been too rushed. Critics like to mention that The Hobbit is just a short book, however they fail to acknowledge that Peter Jackson based The Hobbit trilogy on not only The Hobbit but also the extensive appendices from Lord of the Rings (which provide a richer background into the story).

I agree that Richard Armitage did a perfect job portraying Thorin. That scene with Bilbo showing Thorin the acorn was perfect. Thorin was succumbing to the sickness that consumed Thror, but during that brief moment you could see the genuine peace and fondness in his eyes.

I also love the character of Bard. He is a good and honourable man who would do anything to save his children and the people of Laketown. I think that Luke Evans did a really good job of portraying Bard.

By the end, I was crying not only because of the deaths, but also because it was the final film. crying

I'm really glad that Peter Jackson ended up being the director of The Hobbit films, so that the quality and feel of the films would match that of the Lord of the Rings films. I love how the end of The Hobbit ties in so nicely with the beginning of the Lord of the Rings. smile

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
I had more feelings when Smaug died than at any other point during the film.
Cinematography was fantastic. Acting and make-up were great. Orlando Bloom looks like a powdered prune or a stretched piece of leather.
Lee Pace was flawless.

Did not care about the dwarves.
But I was sad when Kili died.
Why did Galadriel banish Sauron from Dol Guldur when she is just an elf?? Like, she's awesome, though. But going all wraith and lifting up the star thing should not be enough to banish Sauron.

R1NDO's Buddy

40,250 Points
  • Rightful King 500
  • Superior Hero 500
Uh... it was alright. Some parts were amazing, some parts were absolutely horrible.

The cons:
- Tauriel: She is an insult to the fans. If you already write in a female character for no good reason at all, you ALSO make her nothing but a ridiculous love interest? Yay!
- Legolas: Almost all of his scenes were embarrassing to watch and I still don't understand why they had to put him into this movie? Just to slap a familiar character onto the posters, probably.
- Killing Smaug within 5 minutes. YAY, GOOD JOB!
- Drawing out the battle scenes waaaaay too long. //yawn
- Wanted to see more dwarves than Fili, Kili, Thorin and Balin actually get some spotlight.
- The soundtrack was very underwhelming compared to every other LotR and Hobbit movie. No goosebumps, no teary eyes - music failed.

The pros:
- Thorin, Fili, Kili, Balin and Bilbo: Perfect actors for those roles.
- Thranduil: Lee Pace alone was worth watching the movie.
- Smaug: The most amazing (facial) animations. I could have watched two hours of Smaug being a sassy b***h, no lie.

All in all, The Hobbit should have been told in two movies, not three. They should not have added needless characters like Tauriel and Legolas and forced a cringe-worthy "love story" just to appeal to some middle aged mums or teenage girls. But Bilbo and the dwarves were portrayed perfectly and I wished we had actually seen more of them. Smaug's animations (and voice acting) were Oscar-worthy.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
mystic_emerald
It was a perfect finale to a great trilogy.

Far from 'perfect'.

This film critic nails it.

Quote:
It plays out as if someone chucked a whole bunch of carefully detailed Warhammer figurines into a centrifuge – goblins, goats, dwarfs, wizards and wolves bouncing off one another in waves of alternating tedium and punishment.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To most of us fans, the movies truly are perfect.
Some of you don't find it that way and it's fine; but I wish people stopped trying to convince others something sucks just because they think it sucks. (All the negative critics seem to aim for that.)

Ahem.

My only complaint is all too minor to take away from the fact of how much I enjoyed this experience. I'm happy to have lived these days to be able to see these movies. We are truly lucky.

The actors have been amazing and I actually enjoyed the special effects too. It was an astounding piece of art, and genuine tears were given to its touching moments.

I've went to see the movie three times so far. I'm too impatient to hold out seeing it until the Blu-Ray comes out. ;__;

R1NDO's Buddy

40,250 Points
  • Rightful King 500
  • Superior Hero 500
Captain Tauriel
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To most of us fans, the movies truly are perfect.
Some of you don't find it that way and it's fine; but I wish people stopped trying to convince others something sucks just because they think it sucks. (All the negative critics seem to aim for that.)

Ahem.

My only complaint is all too minor to take away from the fact of how much I enjoyed this experience. I'm happy to have lived these days to be able to see these movies. We are truly lucky.

The actors have been amazing and I actually enjoyed the special effects too. It was an astounding piece of art, and genuine tears were given to its touching moments.

I've went to see the movie three times so far. I'm too impatient to hold out seeing it until the Blu-Ray comes out. ;__;
Well, at least SOMEONE seems to like the character of Tauriel. Lucky you.
Ven Loki Loraine
Well, at least SOMEONE seems to like the character of Tauriel. Lucky you.

Lucky and... unlucky, at the same time. I liked her character's potential post the terrible writing that forced her infatuation with Kili. That is the minor complaint I mentioned in my post...

If only I had a say in the massive production team, she would have walked an entirely different route. Probably no less disliked, but at least it wouldn't have involved forced romance.
All I can do is simply imagine and write her out different in my own fanworks. ^_^;

Dangerous Ladykiller

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nerd 50
It wasnt as good as the last two movies. The animation was off and not blended right in some scenes; other scenes were dragged out and over dramatic/depressing. Compared to the last two Hobbit films, it felt rushed and I was expecting more.
I am hoping that they will release extended versions of The Hobbit like they did with Lord of the Rings. The extended versions of LoTR made the movies ten times better.

High-functioning Hellraiser

14,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Invisibility 100
I quite enjoyed it. I could have done with less elves (Orlando Bloom has ruined everything AGAIN) and more focus on Bilbo and the dwarves, but we can't always get what we want... still, it was a good a** movie and I'd say it's the best of the trilogy. Didn't cry or shed any tears, but it was sad movie, just like the books, to follow these characters on a journey and see them win the day, only to lose their lives. Even if they did spend less effort in making Fili's death emotional than they did with Kili and Thorin. Bastards...

While I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with Tauriel, in my personal opinion, I would have liked her even more if the writers had alluded less to a romantic relationship between her and Kili and more of a powerful friendship. It was supposed to be a precursor to Legolas' friendship with Gimli and I think it would have resonated more if Tauriel and Kili had been just like them, kicking a** and taking names together, and not just a star-crossed love story to appease female fans. Especially when half the audience knows it is doomed from the beginning, being aware Kili's fate.

I don't agree with the notion that Tauriel is an insult to Tolkien fans, but I think that the precise combination of Tauriel's creation, combined with Legolas' inclusion in the trilogy (beyond just 'hey, we're going to Mirkwood sixty years before LotR, of course Legolas is there, its his home and Thranduil is his father, so let's have a quick little cameo') and the subsequent love triangle is what makes it... not so much insulting as just... kinda pointless. Me personally, I would have been balls to the wall in love with Tauriel if she was just an a**-kicking estrogen bomb that befriends a few dwarves and helps them save the day.

But like I said, good movie. And the IMAX 3D didn't give me a headache this time around like the last two did. So that's something!

Desirable Millionaire

7,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Cash Grabber 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
I enjoyed the movies soo much.

I am waiting not so patiently for the extended edition.

Will watch them all again.
I really hope they don't make us wait until Christmas to sell the extended edition. I need to buy this movie.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff