Welcome to Gaia! ::

Which would entice you to read the story. Each describes the same book.

A woman who’s magic destroyed her past must use it to save her dying world only to realize she was the key to destroying it. 0.125 12.5% [ 2 ]
The immortal magic which destroyed her life once, is now the last hope of her dying world. 0.0625 6.2% [ 1 ]
The immortal magic which poisons her mortal body with every use, is the last hope for her dying world. 0.125 12.5% [ 2 ]
In a world cut off from it’s life source, the only hope lay in the hands of a woman dying from the very powers which could save it. 0.3125 31.2% [ 5 ]
None of the above 0.375 37.5% [ 6 ]
Total Votes:[ 16 ]

Do any of these hook you or does it push you away? If you were to read one of these lines on the back of a book cover, would you be interested in trying it out? Or is the whole saving the world thing too generic? That's what I want to know.

Short and simple. Vote and or leave a comment if you'd like.
"Save the World" is a common trope. Like all tropes, what makes it good or bad - creative or cliché - is the details and personal twists the write puts on it.

I chose the second one (The immortal magic which destroyed her life once is now the last hope of her dying world.) because it's straight to the point and immediately highlights a conflict for the main character, who I assume to be the woman. The first one is a bit long-winded, the third one doesn't seem to have a strong enough conflict between the magic poisoning her body and it saving the world compared to the second one, and the fourth one seems a bit distant - more about the world than the character we will be following.

This is just what I based my vote on - only an opinion. But I thought it might've been useful for you to know the reasons behind the vote.
Thank you for that insight. I definitely feel as though everything you've said is true, but I want to combine several ideas into a one sentence concept. Your pointers have pointed out both the flaws and the bonuses between them all. It was enough to give me a chance to re-write the sentence a few times in other ways. I had been stuck repeating the same catch phrases. I still haven't found a sentence I'm completely set on, but I think I may have a working runner for now.

The idea is to make this my check sentence or my stuck sentence. If I start writing on a tangent, but like what I've written, then I'll check it by this sentence. If I get stuck, I'll look back to this and reflect on what's been written compared to where I need to go.

So overall, the sentence only matters to me, but if it's one that can capture the attention of a reader, then I'm hoping it will transfer into the overall writing. We'll see if this works or not, but I thought it would be worth a try.

Divine Conversationalist

i voted none of the above because they all sound pretty dull to me. the closest one to grab me was the third option. i didnt choose it because to me it feels a bit off still though its the one i feel is going in the right direction.

immortal is super cheesy and those turned me off immediately
I chose none of the above because they all seemed to give too much away about the over all story. If I didn't know it was the same old "save the world" thing I see everywhere, and there was a little more about the character(s) who would be featured, I might be a little more interested.

There is also the issue of most "save the world" scenarios I've seen ending in the world being saved, which immediately ruins any tension there might have been. Please do not take that too harshly as a judgment on what you are writing.
I really appreciate both of your thoughts. I've consistently had a hang up on this story, so the insight is helping me think of the whole thing in new ways.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff