Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do platonic couples hold all four hands instead of just two in a pillar of light with xylophone music playing?

Yes 0.22222222222222 22.2% [ 14 ]
No 0.55555555555556 55.6% [ 35 ]
Maybe 0.22222222222222 22.2% [ 14 ]
Total Votes:[ 63 ]
1 2 3 >

Note that what you're about to read are NOT observations made through the lens of shipping. Even if the scenes in episodes 2 and 7 were not meant to be romantic, DiMartino must've known when he wrote them that they weren't exactly a gentle pat on he back either & would be enough to get even non-shippers wondering. Especially the way blushes have usually occurred in this series & its predecessor, especially with Bolin & Opal still fresh in viewer's minds. Then there's episode 8, which is when I really started wondering "Hey, it might actually happen.". Usually when people say "You're so sweet", they're talking to their 5-year old grandkid, or other relative, or to someone they have a romantic relationship. I think it's quite rare that this phrase would be used outside these 2 situations, instead of "You're so KIND.". Also, it wasn't specified in Episode 2 WHAT Mako & Bolin would not understand, which is especially odd considering that they've both had traumatic pasts, probably more so than Asami's past. In the finale as they step into the pillar of light & xylophone music plays, you can see their other hands also turn and clasp so that they are holding all 4 hands while facing eacho ther. I don't believe many platonic people do that. If the same scene with the same music & lighting were with Korra & a guy, no one would call it platonic. Any comments?
if we had the exact same scene with mako & korra, no one would be saying "THIS ISN'T CANON."

my thing for why they didn't do more...
what more could they do, than build their relationship?
a homosexual relationship in a children's show is already testing the waters. they can't overtly flirt with one another. they can't directly confess their feelings. they can't kiss.

Greedy Capitalist

Korra and Asami aren't really the flirty types anyway. They're more the bedroom eyes-giving, physically touching and compliment giving types.

When Korra said that Mako and Bolin wouldn't understand, I think she was right. Mako and Bolin grew up in the streets, where you could fight your way out of any problem you had pretty much.

When it comes to being paralyzed, you can't really kick someone's a** and be fine. Same with Asami and finding out her father was an Equalist. No amount of a**-kicking will make it better. Korra and Asami both know what it's like to be traumatized emotionally and to not know what to do about it except move forward.

The closest Mako and Bolin could get to that is the loss of their parents, but that happened when they were very young, and while Korra can sympathize, she can't exactly relate.

Tenacious Hellhound

misleading space shibe
if we had the exact same scene with mako & korra, no one would be saying "THIS ISN'T CANON."

my thing for why they didn't do more...
what more could they do, than build their relationship?
a homosexual relationship in a children's show is already testing the waters. they can't overtly flirt with one another. they can't directly confess their feelings. they can't kiss.

THEY WERE SO CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THEY COULD HAVE LEAN IN FOR IT RRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT AT THE END!!!

I still think it was adorable though and a perfect unexpected ending.

Premium Garbage

16,125 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Never Give Up 35
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
I have had a moment similar to that with my best friend (not in light pillar obv) during a traumatizing portion of my life when my grandma died and I lost everything. I have her to thank that Im still here today.

Super Noob

12,790 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Timid 100
iKarnezar

I totally agree with this. They've got that connection that Mako and Bolin would not quite get. Korra and Asami know what it's like and I think that one of the main factors as to why they've been so close in this last series. They both understand and, by mid-season of Book Four, they come to terms with their trauma and they learn to forgive/stand up again. They both help each other over that big hurdle and it makes that bond much stronger.

misleading space shibe

EXACTLY. Finally, someone gets it. It's amazing that they've gotten away with as much as they have and it makes me happy that Nick is allowing it. It may not be "canon" but it damn sure does steal the cake for me. It's such a beautiful relationship and I'm glad that they did what they did.

-Soul in this universe-

Again, I totally agree. I personally don't ship anyone with anyone in this show aside from Varrick and Zhuli. But I'm so glad that they've done what they did. All of the blushing and especially that ending is a BIG sign that their romantic relationship is heavily implied. Dimartino and Konietzko BOTH said in an interview that they like the idea of Korrasami and think that it's a totally logical relationship because of their pasts and the way they both act. Their relationship brings joy to my heart as someone who identifies as queer. It's not only a perfect match but a HUGE step up in that respect. (Also, if they do indeed end up being together Korra totally struck gold. Asami is gorgeous.)

Fashionable Shopper

I think they are both just vulnerable. They both endured recent traumatic experiences. That's all. They are acknowledging that they are both there for each other.
Nerdy Oatmeal
EXACTLY. Finally, someone gets it. It's amazing that they've gotten away with as much as they have and it makes me happy that Nick is allowing it. It may not be "canon" but it damn sure does steal the cake for me. It's such a beautiful relationship and I'm glad that they did what they did.

I just want someone who is against it to tell me how Korrasami could have been more concrete within the boundaries that it has.
Because I'm not a writer. I don't bloody know how else to write a romance without flirting at least.

Tipsy Man-Lover

I never shipped anyone, but I felt like the end was a hint to Korrasami, which I'm happy with. Even if it was just to tease people who shipped Korrasami.
LilPinkCandy
I think they are both just vulnerable. They both endured recent traumatic experiences. That's all. They are acknowledging that they are both there for each other.

They did that on the balcony, & the look on their faces before they held hands was happiness, not vulnerability.

Adventuring Lionheart

11,275 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
I have no qualms with them being together as a couple, but I just am not feeling it because they really didn't have that much contact with each other. I know that the producers weren't really allowed to broadcast it really... but just, something. I don't know. I know they were exchanging letters and spending time together while she took care of Korra but... we didn't "see" much of that. I wish I had been able to.

Fashionable Shopper

-Soul in this universe-
LilPinkCandy

They did that on the balcony, & the look on their faces before they held hands was happiness, not vulnerability.

Of course they are happy with each other. They are best friends and know that they will both always be there in times of need. They are most certainly vulnerable, especially Asami.
While I agree that testing homosexuality on kids TV is a real gymnastic business, I hate the cliché of gay people having sudden epiphanies about their own sexuality after they've been in the straight relationship.

I know this college professor in real life whose mom suddenly "realized" how gay she was after marrying and divorcing a Vietnam war veteran and having the college professor and his sister along the way. I find it impossible to believe that gay people suddenly become gay.

It's one of my pet peeves because being raised in a strict Christian family, and then having to research pretty straight forward concepts like evolution and homosexuality on my own, I've come to understand that it's there for the long haul. When you introduce a character like Korra who's practically swimming in boys all day long for three seasons straight and then suddenly rewrite her as a budding lesbian in her late teens/early twenties, you lose some credibility as to what your modus oporandi is.

In his twitter post, Bryne says that the show was touch and go as far as plot goes, and to the extent that Korra loses her connection to the past avatars and wipes a man from existence, it makes sense. There were slimy moments in the series and the whole ignorant lesbian thing was one of them. How could one not know they were attracted to girls, especially one who was trained since childhood to hone her senses as a spiritual leader. It was very forced and I don't buy for a second that Bryne was the original Korrasami shipper.
Jeff the Kitten
While I agree that testing homosexuality on kids TV is a real gymnastic business, I hate the cliché of gay people having sudden epiphanies about their own sexuality after they've been in the straight relationship.

I know this college professor in real life whose mom suddenly "realized" how gay she was after marrying and divorcing a Vietnam war veteran and having the college professor and his sister along the way. I find it impossible to believe that gay people suddenly become gay.

It's one of my pet peeves because being raised in a strict Christian family, and then having to research pretty straight forward concepts like evolution and homosexuality on my own, I've come to understand that it's there for the long haul. When you introduce a character like Korra who's practically swimming in boys all day long for three seasons straight and then suddenly rewrite her as a budding lesbian in her late teens/early twenties, you lose some credibility as to what your modus oporandi is.

In his twitter post, Bryne says that the show was touch and go as far as plot goes, and to the extent that Korra loses her connection to the past avatars and wipes a man from existence, it makes sense. There were slimy moments in the series and the whole ignorant lesbian thing was one of them. How could one not know they were attracted to girls, especially one who was trained since childhood to hone her senses as a spiritual leader. It was very forced and I don't buy for a second that Bryne was the original Korrasami shipper.

do you mean the same girl who had issues even reaching the spiritual side of herself until she was 17 years old and locked in a giant metal box
i'm not 100% sure where sexual orientation and spirituality are connecting either
WAIT DO NON-HETEROSEXUALS HAVE A SPIRITUAL AWAKENING?
where was mine that sounds fun
i didn't realize that i was bi until my early 20's
or rather, i didn't accept it for whatever reason

and i'm pretty certain they mentioned her as bisexual in their longer tumblr posts
not strictly lesbian
and it doesn't say in the show anywhere (obviously) that she didn't know she was attracted to girls. she gradually grew attracted to asami & asami did the same for her. the attraction/bond was growing since season 3, as they planned on the makorra break-up for season 2.
Jeff the Kitten

That's like saying someone in love with another person can't decide to break up & fall in love with a different person. Being gay means being in love with someone of the game gender, not something that you're born with. Nobody is in love when they're born.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff