Welcome to Gaia! ::

You’re ready to lose some weight. But you're tired of listening to all that stale, tried-and-true weight loss advice, like eating more vegetables, limiting portions, and exercising more..............
Weight Loss Tip No. 1: Variety Is Overrated

Who hasn't heard the advice to "just take a bite of everything" if you're at a buffet?

But as it turns out, variety doesn't deserve its good reputation, says Dawn Jackson Blatner, RD, a Chicago dietitian and author of The Flexitarian Diet.

"We know that variety makes you eat more," she says, citing several published studies and her own experience in counseling weight loss patients.

For example, researchers in France found that study participants ate more french fries when they were offered catsup and mayonnaise along with them. And when they were given the option of having cream or whipped cream with their brownies, they ate more than when the brownies were offered plain.

Other researchers have found that people who have been able to maintain weight loss tend to eat diets with limited variety.

Weight Loss Tip No. 2: Have Barley for Breakfast

"Barley is the new oatmeal," says Jackson Blatner.

Barley got its hunger-fighting reputation after Swedish researchers found that eating barley or rye kernels for breakfast kept blood sugar on an even keel. That's because the carbs in barley and rye kernels are "low glycemic index," meaning they raise blood sugar more slowly than some other carbohydrate foods. This helps you avoid a spike, and then a drop, in blood sugar, which can leave you feeling famished.

One caveat: "Buy hulled barely, not pearl barley," Jackson Blatner says. The Swedish researchers used minimally processed hull barley, and they can't vouch for the same effects for more processed forms, such as pearl barley.

Weight Loss Tip No. 3: Beef Up Your Lunch Salad

One of the most common mistakes dieters make is to eat a vegetable salad with little or no dressing for lunch, says Joan Salge Blake, RD, professor of nutrition at Boston University and a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association. "Then they are starving by mid-afternoon," she says.

A salad is a great choice, she says, if you add some protein and a little fat to help keep you feeling full longer.

Top your greens with a 3 oz piece of chicken breast, and you've added about 26 grams of protein but just 140 calories. Add about two tablespoons of light salad dressing, and your salad may be filling enough to get you through the 3 p.m. hunger slump without hitting the vending machine.

Weight Loss Tip No. 4: Stock Up on Frozen Vegetables

Sure, fresh vegetables are delicious and nutritious. But faced with the need to scrape a carrot, wash and slice a zucchini, or cut broccoli into florets, many of us say, "Too much trouble!" and reach for chips instead.

To make things easier, stock your freezer with frozen vegetables, Blake tells dieters.

"They are already clean, chopped and ready to cook in the microwave," she says. "It's like having Rachael Ray in the freezer."

An even better way to be sure you eat more vegetables: Cook the frozen veggies ahead of time. Microwave the whole bag of green beans, for instance. Then keep them in the refrigerator, ready to dump into canned soups, add to a salad, or just eat by the handful.

Weight Loss Tip No. 5: Make Yourself a Party Tray

The type of party tray Jackson Blatner is talking about is a big vegetable platter, maybe with some low-fat dip on the site -- the kind you put on the buffet for weight-conscious guests.

But this one is just for you and any interested family members. Keep it in the fridge at eye level, encouraging you to snack healthy and avoid the higher-calorie contents of your refrigerator.

Several studies have found that we tend to eat more when food is within easy reach. Secretaries who placed candy on their desks ate about 48% more than when the candy was 6 feet away, according to research by Brian Wansink, PhD, director of the Food and Brand Lab at Cornell University.

Weight Loss Tip No. 6: Turn Down the Thermostat

Spending time in a chilly house -- about 61 degrees Fahrenheit -- may boost the fat-burning power of the "brown fat" in your body.

Brown fat is considered "good" fat, as opposed to regular or white fat, which stores calories and tends to accumulate. Researchers believe that lean people have more of the brown type of fat, and that the amount of brown fat a person has declines with age.

Scandinavian researchers found that exposure to these chilly temperatures boosted the metabolic rate of brown fat 15-fold, helping burn more calories.

But Jackson Blatner cautions not to expect too much: "It's not going to be any kind of a miracle," she says. And beware if you're the type who eats more when you feel cold.

Weight Loss Tip No. 7: Downsize Your Dinnerware

Experts say they've seen it again and again: The larger your plate, the more you're likely to put on it. So serving your meals on smaller plates can help you eat less.

But don't throw out those dinner plates, Blake suggests. Use the smaller, lunch-size plates to serve dinner, and use the dinner plates for salads.

Weight Loss Tip No. 8: Go Out for Treats

If you're the type who overdoes it on sweets and snacks, Jackson Blatner suggests, make yourself work a little for your favorite indulgences. Don't keep them in the house, but give yourself permission to go out and get them when you really need to.

Want a brownie? You have to go to the bakery. Craving a frozen yogurt? You must find the nearest frozen yogurt shop.

"The more hassle tasty treats are, the less likely you are to eat them," says Jackson Blatner, who does this herself and finds her sweets consumption has declined without making her feel deprived.

Weight Loss Tip No. 9: Try on Your Skinny Jeans Every Friday

Find a pair of pants that is tight, but not impossible to zip, Blake suggests to her weight loss patients. "Every Friday morning, try them on," she says.

Why Friday? Weekends are typically a tougher time to stay on diets, she says. And the Friday morning try-on will motivate you to watch your eating during the weekend.

"If they are loose, you will say to yourself 'I am making progress, I am staying on track during the weekend,''' she says.

And if they're snug? That will provide motivation to stick to your diet so they'll fit better next week, she says.
try to find away to incorporate cottage cheese into your diet, if you're able. I'm not a fan of cottage cheese- at all, but I've found a good recipe that hides the taste and texture.
Spinach
can of tuna (I like to saute it with cayenne pepper and other spices, spray lightly with Pam)
1/4 cup of cottage cheese
and 1/4 of an avocado
approx. 250 calories and 40 grams of protein, very little carbs and sugar
that's the recipe I use and enjoy, but you should experiment. They're not kidding when they say that cottage cheese can help you loose weight.

Also, try eating very lightly at night and make sure its protein, its worked for me. I've always found my weight would stagnate when I didn't do this. But I'd loose weight if my night time meals were very very low calorie and protein based.

Gracious Friend

18,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Latopazora
try to find away to incorporate cottage cheese into your diet, if you're able. I'm not a fan of cottage cheese- at all, but I've found a good recipe that hides the taste and texture.
Spinach
can of tuna (I like to saute it with cayenne pepper and other spices, spray lightly with Pam)
1/4 cup of cottage cheese
and 1/4 of an avocado
approx. 250 calories and 40 grams of protein, very little carbs and sugar
that's the recipe I use and enjoy, but you should experiment. They're not kidding when they say that cottage cheese can help you loose weight.

Also, try eating very lightly at night and make sure its protein, its worked for me. I've always found my weight would stagnate when I didn't do this. But I'd loose weight if my night time meals were very very low calorie and protein based.
oh, okay
thanks!

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100
spellslave
❝ Don't do fad diets; stick to something that you can go with long-term. ❞

Fashionable Citizen

10,250 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Friendly 100
  • Marathon 300
I have some advice if youre still looking:
I lost 35 pounds and it wasnt easy. It can be really hard at first so I tried those slim fast shakes and those small meals they sell at the grocery store for the first month until I LEARNED how to eat healthy. (I wouldnt recommend doing that for long term but definitely the first month or so). After that cut back on fried things, very sugar foods, cheese, regular milk and replace with fruits, veggies, and almond milk (but stay away from very starchy fruits and veggies such bananas or peas) I'm not sure what you like food wise but my main foods were Greek yogurt, oatmeal (with walnuts for protein), shakes I made myself, baked chicken, lots of salad with fat free dressing, and sandwiches with low fat bread. Additionally, not everyone wants to hear it, but exercise. I worked out at least 30 minutes a day except Saturday. Saturday was the day I could eat whatever i wanted and do whatever i wanted. Always have a day to splurge!
4evrSara
I gained 10 pounds recently, and I would like to start losing weight fairly soon
please give me tips/advice on how to lose weight
I'm 5'6 and 210 pounds
I wanna lose at least 30 pounds

Step 1: watch what you eat and track your calories
Step 2: cardio cardio cardio. Run, eliptical, bike, circuit training
Step 3. Sauna if you have access to one

Back when I did my first bulk I kinda overdid it and had a big preggo looking belly. I lost it by cutting the sodas and other junk food as well as eating less in general. Then I'd sit in a sauna for about 15-20 minutes stretching before my workout. Next I'd do about 15 mins of cardio, lift weights, another 15 mins of cardio, then back in the sauna for another 20.

I lost the gut in no time.

CAUTION: be careful with the sauna, drink lots of water all day every day, and if you feel yourself getting lightheaded step out immediately. You don't want to be that dork that passes out in the sauna and gets talked about by everyone.

Dapper Ladykiller

So you've recieved lots of tips and good advice (though some of these rules would be hard to follow for me xp ) But I'll give you what a day looks like when I am cutting down on weight.

I use my fitness pal, at least for the first few weeks of my "diet" until I get into a routine. It also helps you track your weight and excercise, but I like to start by cutting back my calorie intake.

Here's three choices for breakfast:

1) Two eggs prepared however you like, no butter. Two strips of center cut bacon. (comes out to about 200 calories.) People will say bacon is bad for you- but my day started off SO much better and I loved having the fat in the morning.

2) Muesli with coconut milk and a dash (1tsp) of brown sugar and cinnamon (also about 200 calories) I buy Bob's Red Mill muesli- I let it sit in a tupperware all mixed together over night and then heat it in the microwave in the morning. It's full of flavor and texture

3) Oatmeal. I like to either mix mine with cottage cheese, or top it with an egg. If you like yours with brown sugar and cinnamon, just be mindful of the sugar and maybe even try having fruit. (200-300cal)

Around 10AM I'd have a snack, usually a yogurt (coconut yogurt in my case.. I stay away from dairy on a personal preference. Greek yogurt is also healthy and protein rich) Or maybe carrots and hummus. (100-200cal)

Lunch for me is usually a LARGE portion of something really low-calorie. I love love love lentils, and I make them in my rice cooker at home with peppers, onions, and either veggie broth or tomato sauce. I found that I only really wanted my lunch to get me from work to home. Other options include chili with lots of veggies, stir fry (no rice), or tuna salad on a bed of greens. (250-450cal)

Once I get home around 4 or 5 I have another snack- maybe a piece of fruit, a hard boiled egg, a granola bar, or a handful of nuts. (100-200cal)

Dinner is when I like to include most of my protein, so my dinners would look like Tilapia with rice pilaf, chicken stew, pepper steak, tofu pad thai (watch out- most of your calories comes from the sauce in that one) (400-600cal)

I am a fan of the post-dinner workout around 8pm or so- There I'd go to the gym and lift weights for 15-30 min, and incorporate at least 20 min of cardio. If I felt like it was a really hard workout, I'd give myself a protein-rich bedtime snack like chickpeas with cucumber and tomato, or half of a peanut butter (no jelly) sandwich.

Because I'm shorter than you, I tend to eat fewer calories. but here you can see I'm pretty much eating ALL DAY and by incorporating tons of veggies in different ways I never really feel hungry. It's a schedule adjustment though, so whenever I fall off the wagon I just pull myfitnesspal back up and start tracking again.

Good luck and post your results!! ^^

Gracious Friend

18,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Viking Josh
4evrSara
I gained 10 pounds recently, and I would like to start losing weight fairly soon
please give me tips/advice on how to lose weight
I'm 5'6 and 210 pounds
I wanna lose at least 30 pounds

Step 1: watch what you eat and track your calories
Step 2: cardio cardio cardio. Run, eliptical, bike, circuit training
Step 3. Sauna if you have access to one

Back when I did my first bulk I kinda overdid it and had a big preggo looking belly. I lost it by cutting the sodas and other junk food as well as eating less in general. Then I'd sit in a sauna for about 15-20 minutes stretching before my workout. Next I'd do about 15 mins of cardio, lift weights, another 15 mins of cardio, then back in the sauna for another 20.

I lost the gut in no time.

CAUTION: be careful with the sauna, drink lots of water all day every day, and if you feel yourself getting lightheaded step out immediately. You don't want to be that dork that passes out in the sauna and gets talked about by everyone.
I have trouble with running, and my joints are kinda crappy, so i think i'd rather just do walking instead. I have no access to a sauna, but I wouldn't mind using one if I did. Last time I lost weight, I did it by watching what I ate and tracking my calories, although I didn't really exercise that much. I plan on exercising more this time, and still watching what I eat and tracking my calories.

Gracious Friend

18,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Zuska Darling
So you've recieved lots of tips and good advice (though some of these rules would be hard to follow for me xp ) But I'll give you what a day looks like when I am cutting down on weight.

I use my fitness pal, at least for the first few weeks of my "diet" until I get into a routine. It also helps you track your weight and excercise, but I like to start by cutting back my calorie intake.

1) Two eggs prepared however you like, no butter. Two strips of center cut bacon. (comes out to about 200 calories.) People will say bacon is bad for you- but my day started off SO much better and I loved having the fat in the morning.

2) Muesli with coconut milk and a dash (1tsp) of brown sugar and cinnamon (also about 200 calories) I buy Bob's Red Mill muesli- I let it sit in a tupperware all mixed together over night and then heat it in the microwave in the morning. It's full of flavor and texture

3) Oatmeal. I like to either mix mine with cottage cheese, or top it with an egg. If you like yours with brown sugar and cinnamon, just be mindful of the sugar and maybe even try having fruit. (200-300cal)

Around 10AM I'd have a snack, usually a yogurt (coconut yogurt in my case.. I stay away from dairy on a personal preference. Greek yogurt is also healthy and protein rich) Or maybe carrots and hummus. (100-200cal)

Lunch for me is usually a LARGE portion of something really low-calorie. I love love love lentils, and I make them in my rice cooker at home with peppers, onions, and either veggie broth or tomato sauce. I found that I only really wanted my lunch to get me from work to home. Other options include chili with lots of veggies, stir fry (no rice), or tuna salad on a bed of greens. (250-450cal)

Once I get home around 4 or 5 I have another snack- maybe a piece of fruit, a hard boiled egg, a granola bar, or a handful of nuts. (100-200cal)

Dinner is when I like to include most of my protein, so my dinners would look like Tilapia with rice pilaf, chicken stew, pepper steak, tofu pad thai (watch out- most of your calories comes from the sauce in that one) (400-600cal)

I am a fan of the post-dinner workout around 8pm or so- There I'd go to the gym and lift weights for 15-30 min, and incorporate at least 20 min of cardio. If I felt like it was a really hard workout, I'd give myself a protein-rich bedtime snack like chickpeas with cucumber and tomato, or half of a peanut butter (no jelly) sandwich.

Because I'm shorter than you, I tend to eat fewer calories. but here you can see I'm pretty much eating ALL DAY and by incorporating tons of veggies in different ways I never really feel hungry. It's a schedule adjustment though, so whenever I fall off the wagon I just pull myfitnesspal back up and start tracking again.

Okay, thanks!! ^^ I'll try to post my results, if and when I am able to lose any of the weight. Although, I probably would like to weight for that, til I've lost at least 30-40 pounds.

Dapper Ladykiller

4evrSara
Zuska Darling

Okay, thanks!! ^^ I'll try to post my results, if and when I am able to lose any of the weight. Although, I probably would like to weight for that, til I've lost at least 30-40 pounds.

Even if you don't want to post photos (I understand!) Its good to track your progress either weekly or monthly. Just say "hey 5lbs down this month! 25 to go!"

Gracious Friend

18,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Zuska Darling
4evrSara
Zuska Darling

Even if you don't want to post photos (I understand!) Its good to track your progress either weekly or monthly. Just say "hey 5lbs down this month! 25 to go!"

oh, okay! well, that makes sense.. although I would rather not track my progress weekly, since I would rather not worry about it every week, but monthly would be fine.

Dapper Ladykiller

4evrSara
Zuska Darling
4evrSara
Zuska Darling

oh, okay! well, that makes sense.. although I would rather not track my progress weekly, since I would rather not worry about it every week, but monthly would be fine.

Thats fine ^^ I am a**l about numbers so I like tracking.. EVERYTHING xD But thats because its fun for me

Gracious Friend

18,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Zuska Darling
4evrSara
Zuska Darling
4evrSara
Zuska Darling

Thats fine ^^ I am a**l about numbers so I like tracking.. EVERYTHING xD But thats because its fun for me
ah, I see
well, that's interesting... oh, and it's nice to meet you!

Dapper Ladykiller

4evrSara
ah, I see

You too! ^^

Gracious Friend

18,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Zuska Darling
4evrSara
ah, I see

You too! ^^
smile yay!!~

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas