Welcome to Gaia! ::

Versatile Streaker

I'm Jewish. More secular than orthodox, true, but I'm still Jewish. And every year when December rolls around, I heave a giant sigh at all the Christmas items and Christmas-themed recolors we get. Before anyone says anything, yes I'm aware that Gaia celebrates the commercial version of Christmas, with Santa and elves and all that, but it's still a holiday attributed to Christianity...even if that holiday's traditions evolved from various pagan winter solstice celebrations and Saturnalia moving on.

Thank you, Gaia, for the dreidels yesterday. This is the first year you've ever given us left out little Jewish kids a gift, and what better time than just before Hanukkah, which actually ends on Christmas Eve this year? Though...I really hope we get a nice sweater, too, because the tiered rewards have had two holiday-themed ones so far, and a pretty blue sweater with a white Magen David would be so lovely.

Spoons:

gaia_spoons Are you Jewish? Have you felt left out on Gaia in December, too?
gaia_spoons Any Judaic items you'd like to see on Gaia?
gaia_spoons Doing anything special for Hanukkah?

(topic voting disabled because the silent antisemitic factor was high on pretty much every topic I've seen about Jewish anything on this site)

Tipsy Genius

I was really glad to see the little dreidel. It's a nice addition, especially after 11 years of Christmas items. I really do hope we see a sweater in GoFusion and the reward tiers.

I'm not Jewish; I was baptised Catholic but I'm an atheist like my dad. I happily celebrate "commercial Christmas", though. I never associated Christmas with Christianity when I was younger (in my defense, the etymological connection isn't that obvious in French) so I wasn't fully aware that some people didn't celebrate it for religious reasons until I was a teenager. I tend to notice cultural exclusion a lot more now.

Feline Enchantress

Goes Fast
gaia_spoons Are you Jewish? Have you felt left out on Gaia in December, too?

Well, I'm a Satanist, and Gaia likes to release all kind of Satanic items the rest of the year.

Except for x-mas time. Not a single one.

I'm an atheist and I don't feel left out in Gaia because of x-mas.

I do feel bad because of x-mas (time for sharing with people and exchanging presents, unless you're poor), but not because of Gaia.

Then again, considering that Gaia is based on the US IRL, it's nice that they are considering other religions from their region.

And tomorrow we'll get a Kwanzaa-bot.

Kahavie's Significant Otter

Dedicated Bookworm

13,475 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Married 100
I'm not Jewish, but I appreciate the inclusion. It's nice to see other holiday traditions recognized even if I don't celebrate them myself.

Green Star

I'm Jewish, but I never actually felt left out on Gaia. Not sure why, but it's true. emotion_yatta
That doesn't mean that I wasn't overjoyed to see the dreidel, though. x'DD

And I'd like to see a menorah and a kipah. emotion_dowant
But the dreidel's more than enough to make me happy, really.

Hilarious Hellraiser

14,950 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
I'm not part of the religion, but I can appreciate a good dreidel.
What I cannot live without are latkes and applesauce.

Special Snowflake

I'm neither Jewish nor Christian, but it's nice to see Gaia make a response to people's suggestions of including other Winter festivals.

Receiving a Jewish themed item didn't really change my experience at all, I love all items.

Beloved Fairy

34,050 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
I remembered seeing someone post that they would have loved to see some reference to Hanukkah this year, so it was nice to see that acknowledged in some way! I'm not Jewish, but I think that inclusion is nice.

Professional Novice

I'm not Jewish, but it's about time, right? It only took, what? twelve years? I don't know. I can't make the math happen.

Lot!on's Husband

Tiny Donator

14,475 Points
  • Married 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Sausage Fest 200

This might sound stupid, and pardon me, but... what item are you speaking of?

Oh nevermind, I see it!

Demonic Warlock

44,375 Points
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Catholic here, but it makes me very happy that Gaia added in the dreidels. n_n

When I was little, I thought members of the Jewish community celebrated both holidays. The reasoning behind that being Rugrats. They celebrated both, so I thought everyone did.

Pylea P's Husband

Magical Pants

19,715 Points
  • Married 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
Yes, it's nice to have other wintertime holidays celebrated

Cluttered Gaian

I've been driven off of the site for talking about this exact thing in past years, haha. -_-; It means more than I think staff is aware of that we're finally being acknowledged and legitimized as members of the community too.
I.... er, may have honestly squealed and laid down on my sister's lap when I opened the box. Because I couldn't believe my eyes. It was.... such, such a treat. >u< Almost ten years I've waited. Ten years. I was driven to tears over arguing over it in years past, because the userbase here is beyond anti-semitic and unfriendly.
I'm excited, bubbling even, I feel like I've gotten a fantastic gift that'll carry me through the rest of the (seemingly really! secular! event!). This may be my happiest xmas on Gaia ever.
Yes, I feel alienated on Gaia around this time of year. Without fail. Without exception. Horribly. But we're not supposed to point at media and ask "why is nobody like me" because it will ruin someone else's fun, of course, so I sometimes mask it.
But then again, getting horribly verbally abused in elementary school for not knowing who santa claus is known to sour a person for the rest of their life.

Stellar Succubus

Diversity is a good thing!

Trogger's Bride

Heroic Raider

I'm not Jewish but I was happy when I saw it included, I've wondered why they didn't include any other holiday items for a while. I don't blame you for feeling left out.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff