Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
dreamsk
By definition: Any amount lower.

It's just extremely annoying and shitty to only undercut by 1g just to get the first listing on the page. Now a days 1g is literally worth less than dirt, so the only reason they're doing it is to annoy me.

It's like those people who bid on The Price is Right with whatever the other person bids, plus a dollar. It's a bit of a d**k move.

Sometimes when it goes from say, 1,000,000 to 999,999, it does make people think it's considerably less than it actually is. That's why all the prices end in ".99" and s**t. It's ********.

Anyway... er... I like selling prices well under what people post. I think it's the biggest "******** you, you don't determine prices" I can think of. Especially since the s**t I sell, I get for free anyway. cool

Moonlight Sweetheart

52,925 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Coloring Champion 0
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50
Xiam
dreamsk
By definition: Any amount lower.

It's just extremely annoying and shitty to only undercut by 1g just to get the first listing on the page. Now a days 1g is literally worth less than dirt, so the only reason they're doing it is to annoy me.

It's like those people who bid on The Price is Right with whatever the other person bids, plus a dollar. It's a bit of a d**k move.

Sometimes when it goes from say, 1,000,000 to 999,999, it does make people think it's considerably less than it actually is. That's why all the prices end in ".99" and s**t. It's ********.

Anyway... er... I like selling prices well under what people post. I think it's the biggest "******** you, you don't determine prices" I can think of. Especially since the s**t I sell, I get for free anyway. cool
lol I agree with you completely, and good for you for showing those vendors whose boss.

Kawaii Lunatic

Anything being listed cheaper than yours.
I buy the cheapest listing, no matter what.

Romantic Werewolf

15,950 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Threadmaster 200
Yea, definitely the petty undercuttering by an absolute minimum is the obnoxious part (well, unless you need the gold OMFG RIGHT NOW and some worthless muggle suddenly lists up for a lot less when you've already listed it quite low, but that's another story with perhaps a different term). I too make sure to buy up the next lowest one, and I often have a laugh about it. Usually when I see it, there will be a bunch of unreasonable listings, then a reasonable one, then one where the ******** undercutter has undercut by only one gold. I make sure to buy the reasonable one, and with any luck, the undercutter won't look at their listing again until it sells....for much less than it would have otherwise. Undercutters are petty assholes.

edit: Also, I never undercut. I tend to go for a fairly drastic discount when I list, as I want to be the lowest listing and sell fast. If people get mad because I'm willing to take less for an item, then OMG, some random is pissed off at me? Ho noes!!!!111

Aizen Kami's Waifu

Princess Healer

50,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Cosmic Healer 200
Undercutting is listing an item for a price that is below the price of a previously listed item. It doesn't matter how big or little the price difference is. That said, EVERYBODY undercuts. Even your mom undercuts if she plays Gaia. I will never understand the special snowflakes who post things like "Don't you dare undercut me or else!!" in their store.

Empyrean Spirit

I had assumed it's when a vendor is trying to get the bid before anyone else, and generally a pricing technique is used. Just a way to eliminate competition by appearing to be the most viable option.

How do I feel about it?
I don't suppose I've ever really thought about it in depth. I will more often than not choose the Marketplace listing that has a reasonable price; the 1g 'undercut' is seen as a little incredulous but I understand the reasoning. If I'm trying to list something before other vendors, I will make an attempt to actually use a lower price.
I only do it when I sell an item that has the lbp already a lot lower than the abp D-:

nextjune's King

Romantic Paradox

37,400 Points
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
I'll usually undercut someone from anywhere between 1 bill and 30 bill.
I'm making a profit either way so it doesn't matter.

Daring Red-Shirt

Technically, like most others have said, it's when someone lists it for a price lower than yours, no matter how much lower it is.

Personally though I don't really consider it as undercutting unless they're doing it to be a jerk. Listing a price for 1 gold less than the person above them is pretty annoying. Like, really? Why don't they just list it for the same exact price, then? Their item would still be the first one on the list... ._. I'm not really sure what listing it for 1 gold less accomplishes.

Time-traveling Senshi

DJ Twissta
like 1 gold or a price nearly identical to yours. Lately what people can do is even list it as the same price and it will show up before yours because of the date added.

I don't really call that undercutting though, especially when people are all listing a newer item at the same time. You'd think your listings, if you do three or more at the same price, would all be together but for some reason all the listings at the same price get all randomly placed on the list. I've had my listings be interrupted by other people listing their items at the same price and I know I did a huge run of listings of the same item one right after another without checking things between listings.

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
Chibi Halo
DJ Twissta
like 1 gold or a price nearly identical to yours. Lately what people can do is even list it as the same price and it will show up before yours because of the date added.

I don't really call that undercutting though, especially when people are all listing a newer item at the same time. You'd think your listings, if you do three or more at the same price, would all be together but for some reason all the listings at the same price get all randomly placed on the list. I've had my listings be interrupted by other people listing their items at the same price and I know I did a huge run of listings of the same item one right after another without checking things between listings.

Ah I should have been more specific, I don't think listing the same price is undercutting, It's just what I see quite often :3

Super Noob

15,525 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: KO 200
I believe undercutting is when somebody posts an item for just barely under the previous lowest price, thereby being viewed as the lowest priced item. If somebody drastically reduces the price of their item it's not quite the same thing. Using cheap tricks to gain the lowest priced spot is kinda a d**k move tbh.

Super Noob

15,525 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: KO 200
K i n g X u m o t - XVI
I'll usually undercut someone from anywhere between 1 bill and 30 bill.
I'm making a profit either way so it doesn't matter.

Holy s**t bruh. If only I had that much gold. *_*

Big Baby

when i undercut its more than 50-100mil.
i hate it when people only undercut for 1g and all you see are those 9s :II

Time-traveling Senshi

DJ Twissta
Chibi Halo
DJ Twissta

Ah I should have been more specific, I don't think listing the same price is undercutting, It's just what I see quite often :3

While it's not undercutting sometimes knowing when to list at LMP can be seen as a strategy to get yourself noticed by the people who will always go for the first item listed regardless of price. In that instance it's not necessarily a mean spirited strategy but one that can slow down other listings at that same price because now the person who was at the top has to wait for the new top listing to sell first.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff