Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
An eastern Tennessee father and stepmother of a 5-year-old girl who died after being forced to drink large amounts of grape soda and water as a form of punishment have been sentenced to 35 years in prison, authorities said.

Randall Vaughn, 42, and Mary Vaughn, 59, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and aggravated child neglect and were sentenced on Monday in Rogersville, Tennessee, District Attorney General Dan Armstrong said on Tuesday.

The Vaughns forced the girl, Alexa Linboom, to drink more than half a gallon of grape soda and water over two hours in January 2012 after they found she had consumed a soda or two they had told her were reserved for the adults, Armstrong said.

Armstrong said the consumption of the large amount of liquid caused the girl's brain to swell.

She was taken to a hospital in Johnson City, Tennessee, where she died two days later, authorities said. Rogersville is about 210 miles east of Nashville.

Her four siblings, who are now 7 to 16 years old, provided key details that led to the indictment of the Vaughns in February and would have had to testify at trial if not for their guilty pleas, Armstrong said.

He said the offer of a plea deal was made to ensure that the Vaughns would spend the rest of their lives in prison and to protect the girl's siblings from having to take part in a potentially high-profile trial.

Her siblings are in foster care, authorities said.

Poor babe

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
When will people learn that these types of punishments are dangerous? stressed More than a gallon? At five years old? Really? They thought that would be okay? A gallon of fluid is probably the size of her entire torso!
Sad thing is I bet there is a large portion of the population that would be all for this type of punishment and singing the parents praise had they not managed to kill their kid in the process.
Some people should not be parents.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Whatever happened to three swats to the rear and a time out? neutral

Kawaii Shoujo

JamesWN
Those stopped when it was considered to be child abuse stare

Blessed Prophet

Krissim Klaw
Sad thing is I bet there is a large portion of the population that would be all for this type of punishment and singing the parents praise had they not managed to kill their kid in the process.

Eh, I'm pretty sure people would be pissed about it even if the kid didn't die. I mean really, forcing a 5 year old to drink that much liquid because she took a pop or two? That's like that mother and grandmother that forced that little girl to run around the house nonstop because she took a candy bar.

There's a difference between shaming your child when they act like a little s**t, and forcing them to do things that are physically harmful to their bodies.
Athena_flora
Krissim Klaw

Eh, I'm pretty sure people would be pissed about it even if the kid didn't die. I mean really, forcing a 5 year old to drink that much liquid because she took a pop or two? That's like that mother and grandmother that forced that little girl to run around the house nonstop because she took a candy bar.

There's a difference between shaming your child when they act like a little s**t, and forcing them to do things that are physically harmful to their bodies.
Well so many parents still seem to think they know better than a child's own stomach if the child is full or not and will demand their kid clear a plate with some arbitrary amount of food that is often more than is healthy. It's no surprise so many people in our current society can't tell when they are actually full and will keep going until they have eaten everything placed in front of them or are painfully stuffed.

Wintry Dragon

So a variation of having to smoke an entire pack of cigarettes when caught smoking one? So sad that brain edema and other stuff killed that poor girl.

Kawaii Shoujo

May that little girl rest peacefully in God's arms gaia_angelleft gaia_angelright

Lavish Husband

fairy-phoenix
JamesWN
Those stopped when it was considered to be child abuse stare

Because it is lol and so is forcing your kid to drink an ungodly amount of soda--
death, or health problems.

Want a proper punishment, teach them real-world things. Keep them from going to their friend's house,
have an activity that they can't join you in because they did something bad.

Hitting an adult is a crime, and it should also be so for children.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Krissim Klaw

Nah, it's about as stupid as "He want's to smoke? Make him smoke a carton!"

Newbie Fatcat

8,025 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Member 100
  • Profitable 100
there needs to be a parenting class

Magical Bunny

14,350 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
that's just sad that they did that 2 her.
How the hell can you turn drinking soda into a punishment? Wicked people.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff