Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bashful Kitten

6,500 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
I've never really played video games (unless you can count Tetris...and the really old nintendo games), but there are some games that look really really interesting.

I'm currently thinking of buying a PS3, but I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions/advice for either consoles or games?

Thanks emotion_bigheart

I'm so embarrassed for asking such stupid questions... but I literally know close to nothing about gaming... emotion_facepalm

Bashful Kitten

6,500 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100

Carprincess's Prince

Loyal Wolf

14,025 Points
  • Married 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Depends what you like? Adventure,story,action, a casual game, shooter, beat em up, or tactician game

Tricky Informer

7,300 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Informer 100
It'll be fine. No matter what game you buy it's different from every other game (at least a little). It'll come with an instruction booklet and the first few levels will be tutorial mode. Modern games usually wrap the tutorial up in a bunch of movies with "WALK TO THE DOOR AND PRESS R1" in between so you're being entertained while you learn the controls.

The only thing you need to do is look at the manual for the PS3 and learn the names of the buttons and where they are. You don't have to memorize them by heart though. The hand-eye coordination turns into second nature after you've played a game for a while so you don't think PRESS A you think PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH and happen to hit A. cat_3nodding

As for the games just buy what looks good. If you go for a PS3 I suggest: Fat Princess (fun cartoony strategy), Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection (two beautiful games in one), Little Big Planet (like Mario, but with a stuffed animal), and Final Fantasy 13 (the battle system starts out simple, then builds throughout the game so you can learn it bit by bit).

(Adding: Btw you might totally hate all the games I suggested, but that's okay too! For all the trash talk that goes on in gaming communities, just play the game you enjoy! It's your time and your money!)

Dangerous Lunatic

13,500 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
I think a PS3 is a really great console, especially to start. 3nodding A 3DS would be a good console too.

For PS3 I'd recommend Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto 5, Beyond Two Souls, The Last of Us, Sonic Generations, either of the Little Big Planet games, Skyrim, and Sleeping Dogs.

Since you're a newer gamer I think Sonic Generations and Little Big Planet would be perfect. I especially still love Little Big Planet. heart The games are so very simple but so fun, and people make their own levels online so you can play them after you beat the main game. And Sonic Generations is well.. a Sonic game. And a really good one at that with a lot of classic levels, so you may feel familiar with it if you've played the original Sonic games.

and Beyond Two Souls is a really unique game. The Walking Dead video game series by Telltale is similar to it, so if you think games where you choose words for the character to say and choose actions for the to do both of those games are perfect. They're not your standard action-y game, but still super great.

things like Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs, Red Dead Redemption, and Grand Theft Auto I'd suggest you play later though because they might be harder to grasp control-wise. My dad played old video games back in the day and can't even move in modern day video games. ;__;

And if you ever get a 3DS, I recommend any of the 3DS Pokemon games, typical Mario games, and Animal Crossing and Tomodachi Life. 3nodding

If you do get a PS3 you should add me! I own all of the video games (except for the Last of Us) that I mentioned you should consider getting.

Eloquent Muse

For me, I found Skyrim easy to start with. If you like fantasy. I've been mostly handhelds and nothing terribly exciting in the combat for over 10 years, so I wasn't used to live action combat and I was nervous about playing the PS3. Which means you, your companions, and what you're fighting don't take turns like most RPGs of the past. You just fight as you would if the battle was for real. RPG meaning role-playing game, referring to the games where the characters have levels. The good thing about Skyrim is the game levels itself with you and you have total freedom in when and if you want to do its quests. You won't find yourself exploring and being totally out-powered. Unless you go deep into ice dungeons and find Chorus. I found those a pain in early levels. The combat is also easy, goes between first and third person view as you like, and you have no need to build your character carefully. Each race has it's own advantages, like Khajiit are good sneakers and have an ability to see in the dark.
Syrim is also a really, really long game if you're trying to do everything.
And a little advice if you get Skyrim...If you want to try being a Vampire or Werewolf, get the Dawnguard DLC. For Vampires, the more days you go without feeding, the more likely people are to randomly attack you. And you can kill the NPCs, making it difficult to do their related quests or closing their shops. With Dawnguard, it doesn't matter if you never feed, people won't attack you unless you go Vampire Lord in front of them.

A lot of games have difficulty settings, so you should be fine in whatever you decide to try. And they autosave often, so if you die, you won't need to start from like a hour or so ago.

For other suggestions, the Lego games are great for something more relaxing, but also challenging.
Red Dead Redemption is also really fun. You are going to die a lot, though. Usually from the environment and random events on the side of the road if you're not used to what to do in each one. I was warned about this before I started playing.
If you want something silly and slow in a household setting, Sims 3. It's very relaxing.
Bioshock also has a really good story if you think you can handle it. For someone also not used to console games, I found it took some getting used to. One of my friends finds it too creepy to play.
If you want to play an animal trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic Japanese city with lots of pollution, Tokyo Jungle. You'd need to buy it off the PSN store. I had many weeks of enjoyment with that. It's not very hard to play. You will die a lot in that one, too. My favorite death is when I got too cocky as a Pom and bit a Tiger's butt.

Feline Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Hero 100
Have you already figured out what genre's you're into? Roleplaying games, Adventure games, Fighting games, Racing games, Shooter games, Platform games, Puzzle games, etc... There are a lot of games but it might be best to try things from different genres through demo's or emulators... It's hard to recommend something if we don't know what you're into... Some ppl like certain genre's while others hate it completely so... You don't wanna end up spending a lot of money and then regretting it because you ended up buying a game you really don't like after all... cat_wink

Invisible Phantom

8,150 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Ps3 - Excellent for the Role Playing Games, Turn/time based. They also provide free access to multiplayer. And while having subscription, you can get a few games per month for free. This console is I highly recommend. Has more anime-like games. Playing online/multiplayer is casual and softcore.

Xbox 360 - Good for it's amount of first person shooter and third person shooter. They don't provide free access to multiplayer, though I do enjoy getting the most out of its subscription, getting 2 free games a months and decent sales. This console do have a range of animated or even RPG like games but it has its limits compare to the ps3. Personally, my favorite console because of the exclusive games like halo and gears of war.

Dedicated Friend

I would suggest a PS3. They have so many little games you can buy from the online store. Cheap and fun short games. Some of which have won awards.
A couple I would recommend from the store are:
Journey
Flower
The Cave
The Unfinished Swan

They are cheap and short to get you into gaming. You'll find you get the hang of it and can decide whether you like it or not without having to pay quite a bit for a game like Skyrim, GTA V, Final Fantasy and find it isn't your thing. It will help you find which genre you like too e.g. Action, Racing, Puzzle, Roleplay, etc.

I would recommend the Final Fantasy series if you like colourful characters and emotional story lines with beautiful music and brilliant graphics smile
I wouldn't recommend a violent or gory game to a newbie blaugh

Eloquent Muse

Going from PS3 to PS2 or PS1 can also hurt your eyes. They do mine, anyway. But I passed on a lot of great titles, so what's a little eye torture for fun? My PS2 needs some lovin~

If I may add on, some more great horror survival is Fatal Frame. The first three come for PS2 and should be in the PSN store. The camera, however, takes some getting used to if you play others, first.
Sims 2 Castaway also gave me and my brother many days of enjoyment.

Van Cane's Princess

Ruthless Vampire

9,450 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
I'd suggest starting out as a PC gamer, then moving to a console. You can try out games that look interesting on Steam, and get a feel for a sort of game you want, like genre and playstyle.

Dangerous Genius

15,600 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Object of Affection 150
Why are you focused on consoles for gaming? Unless you're just looking to get something really cheap? My personal preference is PC gaming because not only do you have the big corperations like Square-Enix, Ubisoft, EA, etc. making games for it, but you have thousands (ok so I don't even have a guess to the number...) of indy developers creating games for it. And there's also Android/iOS which have some pretty good games and are even getting ports of classic games like the Final Fantasy series, Baldur's Gate, and some of the Grand Theft Auto series (I think the newest one might be San Andres).
Just get a real good laptop or buy a PC if you don't like building them. Games tend to be cheaper on PC in either case. Unless you really want to play the few exclusives that PS3 or Xbox 360 (or whichever) have.

However, a lot of console only games have been coming to PC these days.

You can even play old consoles via emulation on the PC.

However, if you're really focused on a console, I'd say go for the PS3 unless you want to pay 50$ a year for online service.

Adventuring Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
irete kudasai
I've never really played video games (unless you can count Tetris...and the really old nintendo games), but there are some games that look really really interesting.

I'm currently thinking of buying a PS3, but I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions/advice for either consoles or games?

Thanks emotion_bigheart

I'm so embarrassed for asking such stupid questions... but I literally know close to nothing about gaming... emotion_facepalm

Older games still count as games. Some of them are more difficult than games that come out these days.

As for advice...
I personally stay away from Xbox. There have been a few games released on the system that I have wanted. Thankfully most of them also came out on the PC. I play my 3DS more than my Playstation, but prefer the Playstation over any other non-moble system due to the amount of RPGs that tend to come out on it.

If you know you will enjoy the games then the answer is made for you. If not... I would honestly suggest bugging a friend with the system the game is on and renting the game to see if you'd enjoy it enough to drop that much money into a system/games.

Take any 'review' with a grain of salt on a game. Reviews are based on personal preference (even the best of them let their opinions take control) and yours may be different. A good example would be Yatzee's review of the Fable games. (I love his reviews by the way.) I agreed with everything he said in terms of issues with the games but I enjoyed them none the less. There have been a few 'poor' games that I found were far more enjoyable than the reviewers led me to believe. And some over hyped games that made crabs in a barrel look like a peaceful existence.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff