Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hygienic Wolf

So a few days ago I made this thread about having no chill out time once your older.

No chill out time allowed when your older?

The over all message was "Welcome to life" which was depressing to say the least though it got me wondering. If all you do is work with barely any time to yourself then why bother? Seems like you best years had already been lived.

So why do you carry on?
What prevents you falling into depression?
Whats you reason for living now that your older?

Girl-Crazy Gaian

Contrary to the previous thread (Haven't read lol), I personally find a lot of opportunities to chill as a full-time working adult.

I am a very goal-orientated person and work to achieve those goals, but I also enjoy my free time I have a lot. But the best part is I actually enjoy the opportunities and challenges of my job, so I don't feel stressed or burdened by it in a way most people feel about their jobs. x)

Even though I love my job, I still have a goal to own a food truck business someday. I also look forward to saving up for one of those nifty trips into space! emotion_kirakira

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
medications an the fear that if I dont the nurses an psychs are gonna put me in some kinda care mostly

Fuzzy Bibliophile

12,400 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
User Image because I'm too chicken to kill myself

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
I intend to become a master swordsman. Currently, I'm only serviceable, with only a little real experience. That isn't enough, so I work to improve. My reason for carrying on is that I have simply never been a person who gives up. A sword is used to protect yourself and to defeat your opponent. Its edge remains sharp even if its holder's will is lost. It never gives up, so neither should you if you're worthy of it. If your opponent is death or the meaninglessness of existence, it's no different. If you give up, it was never worth existing to begin with.

Meaninglessness exists to be given meaning. If we were provided meaning, we would have none.

Currently, I exist to protect those around me and force down those who would harm them. A sword is to cut, so I am to direct it and give its action meaning.
OTL man. One true love! rofl

Actually, I've had times I was really worn down and didn't feel like I was headed anywhere. But really, there's so much to look forward to in the future. You could literally do ANYTHING. You could meet someone or accomplish something that will change your life. No amount of depression or doubt is gonna conquer that for me, the promise of opportunity.
I want to learn and teach, killing myself would ruin those opportunities. But I could see killing myself if I was terminal, for a better purpose. I could also see myself not doing that. I guess I'm not killing myself out of principle.

Opinionated Lunatic

17,075 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cart Raider 100
Valebat
So why do you carry on?

Because others will be screwed for life if I won't.
Valebat

Who says anything is?
Valebat

I might make myself useful.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
So why do you carry on?
I honestly don't know, dude. It's not like I want to die or anything. I don't consider myself depressed, either. I just get up, do the dumb s**t I'm supposed to do, and that's it. I guess if I didn't do all that, my life would spiral out of control, I wouldn't be able to pay my bills, and everything would be bad. So it's not that I want to, it's that I have to. I just think that maybe when I finish school for the second time, I can find a better job that I hate less, we can get married and have a kid or something and people will harass me about it less and I'll have something better to focus on and maybe then my life will make more sense. I guess.

Who the ******** knows.

Eh.
My answer to all three questions is two words:

My kids.

Loiterer

So why do you carry on?

I'm currently getting paid for doing almost nothing. So at the moment I am living and doing my "almost nothing" just to get paid. And if getting money wasn't super easy, I probably still wouldn't be carrying on.
Although I suspect a large reason of why I am currently carrying on, despite the money, is because I have yet to fully get over the fear that when I do try to off myself again, I will ******** it up again.
Seriously. My fear isn't death. I don't fear death. I fear trying to get to death and then failing so miserably that I will not be able to try to get to death again. I fear being alive and completely unable to do anything for myself because I ******** up so bad. THAT's my fear.
********, I NARROWLY escaped that happening to me the last time I tried to off myself. So I really have to consider a lot of things the next time.

Well I am technically still in depression, but what doesn't make me an utter lifeless blob of depression is, and I'll be totally honest here: Money.

Right now I'm concentrating on two things.
1.) Use the money I am getting now to have a good time. Then, when the money runs out, kill myself.

2.) 1 but also saving a lot of money. And if things aren't easy after the income falls/disappears, move to some 3rd world country and live off the money I've saved. When THAT money runs out, kill myself.

When "kill myself" is still such a big thing in life that it's actually made it into your life plans, you're not healthy.

But, despite all this, I am actually doing pretty well (mental health wise). So there is that.
Your time is yours to prioritize. I work hard but I also makes sure I budget in time to recoup when I need it, or if I need some R&R I'll make plans to chill out and stay home and read a book or something.

I would gather that most of the people who say they spend all day working actually waste a good potion of it. I mean, I should be writing cover letters right now, but I'm not, but I'm aware I'm wasting my time.

tamtonica's Partner

Hygienic Bibliophile

8,300 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Yeah, somehow wondering about that myself

Nah. Like. Killing myself would be too much work.
And I guess I'm pretty content with my life right now. I've got a good job, university is going really well and I'm on the best way of getting my dream job, I've got a nice apartment and great friends and even enough money to buy nice stuff.
I'm just beyond exhausted at the moment, but that'll pass. I'd like to hibernate for a couple months, that would be awesome.

Can't afford falling into depression, but there's nothing really preventing me, I guess. If anything, it's the brief time I spend on youtube and tumblr mindlessly clicking without having to think.

I wanna get my degree and get into a nice job and then start a family and at some point definitely publish a book smile and I wanna do lots of traveling, so I just gotta be strong for a couple more years!
Well as I said in that thread, you have to make time for yourself. I make time for myself. I make sure I get as much time for myself as I can. To me a job is just a job and if I weren't working in one place, I would be working somewhere else so I'm not going to let work control me.

Familiar Poster

6,500 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Regular 100
well for one, I refuse to fit into that pointless empty existence people keep insisting on confusing with "life".

I give up alot to keep struggling against the current, but I want Freedom like nobody's business. and that's what keeps me going. I'm gonna take my Freedom or die trying. because if I'm going to lose anyway, I might as well go down fighting. I wouldn't ever give up.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff