Welcome to Gaia! ::

SOB GOBLlN's Partner

buhreez
Hi Im Catbug
oh god not this thread again. plz no

I'm gonna put in the super short super imprecise version here in case someone comes in and gets all srs and harshes my mellow this early in the day.

When people say that only white people can be racist, they aren't using the dictionary definition. Racism in that sense is not only discrimination, but in a way that meaningfully impacts the lives of the discriminated group as a whole. So while anyone can discriminate against anyone, only those in a favorable position of power can be "racist." White people are in that position of power inherently as that's the system that's been historically in place.

I've heard it better described than what I've just said, but that's the gist. I personally think it's dumb to use the word racism that way, as it just causes confusion like this thread and that leads to conflict and misunderstandings and when its all said and done no progress gets made just because people aren't on the same page. Like literally every time this thread gets made this happens there's some shittalking discussion instead of a more meaningful discussion on the topic. It's unfortunate sad
i see where you're coming from, but i HIGHLY doubt that's what most people on social media go with
they see something in their favor and repeat

ok well if we're just talking about the people who just spew what they've read already then someone down the line was using this logic. I mean we know the people who just spew stuff are dumb already so lets just not include them here. lol

Trendsetter

So Koreans who regularly make racist coments on Chinese and Japanese people can't be racist? Koreans who perform blackface on TV can't be racist? The Korean system who denies black people from getting jobs can't be racist? Koreans who think people with darker skin are simply "dirty" can't be racist?

Because they're not white.

The world doesn't revolve around the white west. People of every race can be racist and you're dumb as ******** if you think other wise.
Commissar Yarrick
Cheryl Tunt
buhreez
Cheryl Tunt
Agreed
ty pal
u can't rlly disagree
it's the definition, p much a fact
like religious people calling science wrong

yeah I used to subscribe to that thinking until I took a soc 101 class and read the actual definition, and my concepts of racism got a different scope
It's p sad that entry level college courses are all anyone needs to figure that out
Foolishness please I have taken those classes(Made A's in both soc I & II), tbh most of it is bias, but when you do your own research your view point changes for the better. You can not form we well thought out opinion without all the puzzle pieces. Otherwise you just end up puzzled and confused but damn well believe that you are right. The fact that you said that last part
Quote:
It's p sad that entry level college courses are all anyone needs to figure that out
really just made me laugh my a** off at how naive you are.

Wow I'm glad ppl like you are around to let me know what naivety is lmao

Gatekeeper

gders trying to discuss race lol

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Lonely Noob

Cheryl Tunt
Commissar Yarrick
Cheryl Tunt

yeah I used to subscribe to that thinking until I took a soc 101 class and read the actual definition, and my concepts of racism got a different scope
Foolishness please I have taken those classes(Made A's in both soc I & II), tbh most of it is bias, but when you do your own research your view point changes for the better. You can not form we well thought out opinion without all the puzzle pieces. Otherwise you just end up puzzled and confused but damn well believe that you are right. The fact that you said that last part
Quote:

Truly I don't mean to offend, but that is the most common responds I always hear. Once you take this one class you will understand the whole thing, and for a time I thought like you did. However you only get small pieces of the pie with those classes, and so much is left out. Examining other studies, cross checking fact from multiple sources, and view all sides to the argument. To even mildly understand anything this is what you need to do, otherwise you become a mindless drone fighting for what you were told is "right". This holds true for racist and anti-racist-racist.
Commissar Yarrick
Cheryl Tunt
Commissar Yarrick
Cheryl Tunt

Quote:

Truly I don't mean to offend, but that is the most common responds I always hear. Once you take this one class you will understand the whole thing, and for a time I thought like you did. However you only get small pieces of the pie with those classes, and so much is left out. Examining other studies, cross checking fact from multiple sources, and view all sides to the argument. To even mildly understand anything this is what you need to do, otherwise you become a mindless drone fighting for what you were told is "right". This holds true for racist and anti-racist-racist.

I mean you were coming off as a little bitchy so that's how I took it exclaim

But
I'm definitely not going into that field and I don't claim to know everything just from one class. I can say that it helped me break from a racism sheep mentality that I've heard too often. Obvs not all racism is equal, and systemic racism isn't the same as hating whitey. I'm just proud that, at least in this area, I'm less quick to say "this is right because it makes the most sense at the moment."

Lonely Noob

Cheryl Tunt
Commissar Yarrick
Cheryl Tunt
Commissar Yarrick
Cheryl Tunt

Quote:

I mean you were coming off as a little bitchy so that's how I took it exclaim

But
I'm definitely not going into that field and I don't claim to know everything just from one class. I can say that it helped me break from a racism sheep mentality that I've heard too often. Obvs not all racism is equal, and systemic racism isn't the same as hating whitey. I'm just proud that, at least in this area, I'm less quick to say "this is right because it makes the most sense at the moment."
Clarification always makes things better smile

Business Girl

but white people have access to more resources and white skin gives you a look of legitimacy to some people, some of those people are very powerful. that's why it's more damaging for a white person to act racist. everything white people do has a better chance to be taken seriously

Familiar Sailor

Hi Im Catbug
oh god not this thread again. plz no

I'm gonna put in the super short super imprecise version here in case someone comes in and gets all srs and harshes my mellow this early in the day.

When people say that only white people can be racist, they aren't using the dictionary definition. Racism in that sense is not only discrimination, but in a way that meaningfully impacts the lives of the discriminated group as a whole. So while anyone can discriminate against anyone, only those in a favorable position of power can be "racist." White people are in that position of power inherently as that's the system that's been historically in place.

I've heard it better described than what I've just said, but that's the gist. I personally think it's dumb to use the word racism that way, as it just causes confusion like this thread and that leads to conflict and misunderstandings and when its all said and done no progress gets made just because people aren't on the same page. Like literally every time this thread gets made this happens there's some shittalking discussion instead of a more meaningful discussion on the topic. It's unfortunate sad

yes, it's unfortunate we can't all agree white people are the only racists to exist. lmfao. that was sarcasm.

Ursine Seeker

middle eastern and asian are the most racist

e.x. call a pakistani an indian

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out