Welcome to Gaia! ::

Loiterer

Whatever internet-accessing device you use daily or the most.

- What is it?
(desktop, laptop, tablet, etc.)

- How long have you had it?
( 1 year, more than that, etc)

- How much did it cost?

- Why did you buy a new one when you did?
How often do you buy replacements?
Why?

- Anything interesting about your current computing device?

FA: If you move this, consider casual discussion please.

Loiterer

Kill-me-now-pls
I just got a new lap-top today!^^ It works great so far. The one I was using suddenly broke yesterday which really sucked. But it was crappy for a long time and hardly worked anyways, always freezing, taking forever to load, etc. But now I have this one and it's awesome to use a computer that actually loads and works good, so hurray! ^^
How long did you have your last one?

My current laptop has lasted me 3 years so far. Still runs great! I had to buy a new battery earlier this year which ran me about $200 (for the 9+ hour battery life one). But was worth it. It's the only problem I've ever had with this.

Loiterer

Kill-me-now-pls
Yeah, I didn't think 3 years was a long time either for laptops but I was talking to someone the other day and they said they were surprised my laptop still worked at all, so it made me wonder how long people kept their laptops generally.

I don't even want to change my laptop. It still works just as good as the day I got it.

Hellraiser

My laptop will be 3 years old in December
:')
I hate it, it's so slow, it lags a lot, even when storage cleaned out. The fan is super loud, I don't wanna take it in and deal with Staples, it'd be better to just buy a new one instead of upgrading this one.
The graphics for my game are s**t.
I have my eye on a new Acer at walmart, it's red and only $438.
emotion_kirakira
I could either buy it or my tattoo, I'm a little torn as I'd be mad at myself either way.
My boyfriend can't help out, since he's going away but he would if he could.

- What is it?
I've a desktop PC.

- How long have you had it?
The chassis has been with me since I was 16, so about 9 years. The parts inside are another story.

- How much did it cost?
Original barebones kit and additional parts totaled up to ~$1000. Parts since then, probably another ~$1000 over time.

- Why did you buy a new one when you did?
How often do you buy replacements?
Why?

I have not bought a factory prebuilt since I purchased my PC, except for a Dell laptop that was going to be my college electronic notebook. And even then I don't count it because my dad bought it and I didn't finish university.
Replacements are on an as-needed basis, and only for internal hardware or external peripherals. I've been through two motherboards, three GPUs, two monitors, two mice, two graphics tablets, and about four or five keyboards. This count excludes additional HDDs and RAM modules.
I only buy replacements because something stopped working entirely or is on its way out; it's a force of habit due to necessary frugality.

- Anything interesting about your current computing device?
It was able to run TES III: Morrowind as an AMD Athlon 64 X2 mid-range rig better than my then-boyfriend, now-husband's upper-mid-range rig. Even with the game modded heavily.

Lonely Partier

7,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Millionaire 200
I have two computers, both are laptops.

My Dell XPS 15 (l501x) I got as a gift in 2010, it was around $1500. This model was bought for my engineering classes.

My second computer is a Macbook Air 13" that I got in 2012, which was about $1300. I got this model because it was way more portable for college. I wanted something that I could carry around campus without breaking my back.

I use both of these devices regularly. The MBA I use as my daily driver for homework, surfing the web, and any other casual daily task. My Dell I use as my gaming PC. It's my own personal "Steam Machine."
I don't buy new technology when old things work enough. The money that I earn goes to charity or buying seeds and clothing.

Loiterer

roman and roman again

i get a new laptop once or twice a year lol.
because my computers see some s**t.
Jesus I don't think I could keep up with that. I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad. It's not "fashionable," as it's got the same frame as laptops from the 1990s. But it's tough, physically. I've thrown it around, it's been through really terrible humidity changes, it withstood lots of vibrations (I originally bought this when I was still on a ship in the US Navy).

I originally bought an HP Pavillion but it lasted all of 6 months before the trackpad started screwing up and the hinge popped out of the casing. The Thinkpad is built a lot stronger.

I paid around $700 for it (Military discount, I think retail was about $1200 for this). If this thing ever goes, which I don't suspect it will for quite a few more years, I will buy another one. This laptop has made a brand loyal customer out of me.

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
My PC is about 1.5 years old. I got it for about $500 without a monitor. I bought it because my old laptop was eight years old and obsolete.

Shameless Man-Lover

I have an Asus laptop. It's three years old next month. I use it daily, often for most of the day, and I put to sleep at night/days I have class when I'm not home using it.

I'm probably going to be look into a new one next year around Christmas time. I take really good care of my computers, but things get slow, outdated and generally run down after four or five years.

Loiterer

Eizoryu
Yeah desktops should last forever. I got a barebones kit in, uh, 2006 or so, I think. In 2009 I was moving too much to use a desktop and had to get a laptop instead. It had been sitting around, cannibalized for quite a few years before just gave it away. I don't play games or anything and my current laptop has an i7 so I didn't have a need for a desktop anymore.

To be honest I'm not sure if I'll ever get a desktop again. Px

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces