Welcome to Gaia! ::

Witty Sex Symbol

8,850 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Streaker 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
Okay, so I was diagnosed with GAD (general anixety disorder) and bipolar depressesion late last year. I went to a therapist for a few months, but now that I'm back at uni I don't have the time to continue my visits. It was during the summer that my symptoms had subsided thanks to the therapy, but now they're back and dealing with them alone is proving to be quite difficult.

I believe my anxiety stems back to my days in high school. Everything was super hectic and it was notorious for being the most demanding school back where I lived. I think it was the constant worrying about tests (up to 6 a day + homework for 8 classes) and exams that sort of started the problem and it leaked into my everyday life. The problem is worse now and as a result I've had frequent panic attacks. I tend to get worked up over trivial things and it leads to dizziness, nausea, sweating, and most times I can barely talk or get any words out and it is BEYOND frustrating so I've kind of stopped trying.

As I mentioned before, my anxiety leaked into my everyday life including social situations. When I meet new people I can never look them in the eye or when they ask questions I have to breathe slowly and steady myself before I answer and they tend to give me strange looks. To avoid situations such as these I usually steer clear of parties or social gatherings because I can never truly enjoy them. I'm always thinking that people are looking and laughing at me and I think to myself I don't belong here or why can't I be normal like everyone else? I try to seem as shy as possible so people won't approach me, though my friends think this is just one of my introvert tendencies (very few of them know about my anxiety disorder).

There's no one I feel I can really talk to about these problems so I mostly internalize everything and I think that is making it worse. The constant fear of failing, the dizzy spells, racing heartbeat, and nausea have returned and they are worse than before. My anxiety is affecting my relationships with my friends because now my symptons appear even when I am around them and they are the people I feel most comfortable with. I'm really hoping someone can help me. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. (:

Original Regular

I hear drugs help with that. Hard to have an anxiety attack when you're listening to pink floyd and nodding.

Witty Sex Symbol

8,850 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
Brother Kam
I hear drugs help with that. Hard to have an anxiety attack when you're listening to pink floyd and nodding.

Yeah I was actually hoping to become an addict after I left uni so that won't work lol jk jk wink

Original Regular

-I- INDIGO -I-
Brother Kam

Yeah I was actually hoping to become an addict after I left uni so that won't work lol jk jk wink

Did your shrink put you on anything or was she more of a humanistic approach kind of person?

Witty Sex Symbol

8,850 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
Brother Kam
-I- INDIGO -I-
Brother Kam

Did your shrink put you on anything or was she more of a humanistic approach kind of person?

I used Xanax for a while, but it didn't help much unfortunately, but that's probably because I didn't take it frequently.

Fuzzy Member

Learn to quickly and effectively calm yourself.
Control your breathing and your focus and slow yourself down when the panic comes.

This will solve about 90% of your anxiety problems and will almost completely kill panic attacks.

Witty Sex Symbol

8,850 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
Wigwam the Dodo
Control your breathing and your focus and slow yourself down when the panic comes.

This will solve about 90% of your anxiety problems and will almost completely kill panic attacks.

Thank you (: I've tried the breathing thing, but it's the whole calming myself down part that's difficult. Even when I sit down and try to focus I'm still panicking in my mind, but I'll try harder I suppose.

Fuzzy Member

-I- INDIGO -I-
Wigwam the Dodo

Thank you (: I've tried the breathing thing, but it's the whole calming myself down part that's difficult. Even when I sit down and try to focus I'm still panicking in my mind, but I'll try harder I suppose.
You need to reach the source

Ofcourse it's ******** difficult, you're at the business end of a disorder not a simple nervous disposition. Noone said you deserve to have to put in such effort, or that it would ever be simple and easy to learn.

But learning to calm yourself, slow your breathing down, and then focus on calming your mind will save you so many more times than any amount of medication or therapy or conversation. It will make you capable and self-reliant and any help you then get will only pile ontop of your established skill and make it easy and simple to beat panic attacks and general worry. But you need focus and willpower. You need gallons of them and an unending reserve of fortitude, to withstand the failures and breakdowns.

OES's Prince

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

10,600 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Jacob 100
-I- INDIGO -I-
Okay, so I was diagnosed with GAD (general anixety disorder) and bipolar depressesion late last year. I went to a therapist for a few months, but now that I'm back at uni I don't have the time to continue my visits. It was during the summer that my symptoms had subsided thanks to the therapy, but now they're back and dealing with them alone is proving to be quite difficult.

I believe my anixety stems back to my days in high school. Everything was super hectic and it was notorious for being the most demanding school back where I lived. I think it was the constant worrying about tests (up to 6 a day + homework for 8 classes) and exams that sort of started the problem and it leaked into my everyday life. The problem is worse now and as a result I've had frequent panic attacks. I tend to get worked up over trivial things and it leads to dizziness, nausea, sweating, and most times I can barely talk or get any words out and it is BEYOND frustrating so I've kind of stopped trying.

As I mentioned before, my anxiety leaked into my everyday life including social situations. When I meet new people I can never look them in the eye or when they ask questions I have to breathe slowly and steady myself before I answer and they tend to give me strange looks. To avoid situations such as these I usually steer clear of parties or social gatherings because I can never truly enjoy them. I'm always thinking that people are looking and laughing at me and I think to myself I don't belong here or why can't I be normal like everyone else? I try to seem as shy as possible so people won't approach me, though my friends think this is just one of my introvert tendencies (very few of them know about my anxiety disorder).

There's no one I feel I can really talk to about these problems so I mostly internalize everything and I think that is making it worse. The constant fear of failing, the dizzy spells, racing heartbeat, and nausea have returned and they are worse than before. My anxiety is affecting my relationships with my friends because now my symptons appear even when I am around them and they are the people I feel most comfortable with. I'm really hoping someone can help me. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. (:

Try chewing gum to help, if you like it. It helps with the anxiety. Just try it once or twice and if it doesn't work for you it's still good that you tried. It honestly helps me when I get nervous. It's a trick with the mind, if you trick it into thinking that you're eating by chewing the gum then it realizes there's no threat because you're eating! We get nervous like the way you do because we feel threatened. Can you look your friends in the eye? Just try to maintain the eye focus.. I know it's hard. I literally had the exact same problem. Just try to see if the gum thing works.
"I'm always thinking that people are looking and laughing at me and I think to myself I don't belong here or why can't I be normal like everyone else?"
Nobody is looking at you and laughing at you, it's all in your head, just realize(I'm not trying to be rude when I speak I'm just trying to help) that the world does not revolve around you, you're more interested in them than they are of you most likely! You belong wherever you want to belong, you ARE an individual and come on nobody is normal. Normal is just a routine thing, it may be normal for me to play games every day or draw everyday, but it's not normal for someone else. I guess what I'm trying to say that everyone is normal and everyone is not. Maybe try to give someone a compliment on the street, one you'll feel better that you went out of your way to try and speak to someone, even if it was just a small little compliment, and they'll feel good too that they got a compliment. Keep your head up and if you make eye contact with someone walking by just nod or smile.
Just don't expect a change over night.

Witty Sex Symbol

8,850 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
Valdeaunia
-I- INDIGO -I-

I believe my anixety stems back to my days in high school. Everything was super hectic and it was notorious for being the most demanding school back where I lived. I think it was the constant worrying about tests (up to 6 a day + homework for 8 classes) and exams that sort of started the problem and it leaked into my everyday life. The problem is worse now and as a result I've had frequent panic attacks. I tend to get worked up over trivial things and it leads to dizziness, nausea, sweating, and most times I can barely talk or get any words out and it is BEYOND frustrating so I've kind of stopped trying.

Try chewing gum to help, if you like it. It helps with the anxiety. Just try it once or twice and if it doesn't work for you it's still good that you tried. It honestly helps me when I get nervous. It's a trick with the mind, if you trick it into thinking that you're eating by chewing the gum then it realizes there's no threat because you're eating! We get nervous like the way you do because we feel threatened. Can you look your friends in the eye? Just try to maintain the eye focus.. I know it's hard. I literally had the exact same problem. Just try to see if the gum thing works.
"I'm always thinking that people are looking and laughing at me and I think to myself I don't belong here or why can't I be normal like everyone else?"
Nobody is looking at you and laughing at you, it's all in your head, just realize(I'm not trying to be rude when I speak I'm just trying to help) that the world does not revolve around you, you're more interested in them than they are of you most likely! You belong wherever you want to belong, you ARE an individual and come on nobody is normal. Normal is just a routine thing, it may be normal for me to play games every day or draw everyday, but it's not normal for someone else. I guess what I'm trying to say that everyone is normal and everyone is not. Maybe try to give someone a compliment on the street, one you'll feel better that you went out of your way to try and speak to someone, even if it was just a small little compliment, and they'll feel good too that they got a compliment. Keep your head up and if you make eye contact with someone walking by just nod or smile.
Just don't expect a change over night.

The chewing gum idea sounds interesting and I have no problem with trying it. I honestly can't remember the last time I've ever had gum, but if there's a possibility that it might help I'll definitely try it.

The inability to keep eye contact with people goes away sometimes, mostly when I'm feeling really brave. I believe it comes from a fear of judgement. I don't realize I'm thinking it at the time, but whenever I assess the situation later I realize that in my head I think everyone can see straight through me and notice all the flaws and they will judge me because of them (therefore, if they can't look into my eyes they can't judge me). Although your whole "The world does not revolve around you" point pretty much combats that. It's a shame that I realize it's all in my head after the situation has occurred instead of during it.

I understand that everyone has their own little quirks and special things about them that make them who they are; we're all unique in a way, however I was always called a "freak" or a "weirdo" when I was younger and though the insensitive name calling has stopped I think the feelings that resulted due to it are still there which is why sometimes I yearn to be "normal" though there is no real normal. I guess what I really want is acceptance. I know I have to get over that and I'm actually close to doing it, I'm trying to accept myself as I am. (:

I will try to compliment people. There's always been a part of me that wants to be nice and make people happy, but the whole anxiety problem has always prevented me from doing so. I will try though, I am determined to be better. Thank you so much for your post, it really helped. 3nodding

Newbie Kitten

⊰ I find that playing games helps - ones that require me to focus on them in order to do well. ⊱
I think making time for those appointments might be something you want to prioritize.

Original Fairy

15,425 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Partygoer 500
Petrosoap
I think making time for those appointments might be something you want to prioritize.
I agree. The purpose of therapy is to help you form a coping stratagy that works for you. What works for me is usually being able to find the switch in my mind that gets rid of the anixiety. To find said switch I need to know WHAT is causing hte anxiety and WHEN it will end. ex. I have a doctors appointment and I am worrying about test results a few days out. I know I will have a few days of worry and axiety but when the appointment is over the stress and worry is over. Setting limits always works for me because I am in controll of the end date for the anxiety and sometimes I can make it go away sooner than the end date. biggrin I amd doing better. BUT, this works for me. As I said, what works for me may not work for you.

As to the Xanax and other tranquilizers, they do work, it could be you are blowing through them. I know that for the first few years of my anxiety issues I would not take Xanax because I needed something that was longer lasting. For me, Xanax was like a grenade to anxiety. Quick bang and not much help. Klonopin on the other hand was longer lasting like a nuke bomb. The effects lasted longer and I was able to move on with life. The only issue was that it made me tired, like need to sleep for 8 hrs tired. The meds are a balancing act, you need to find the combo that works for you with regards to your situation AND that work with your therapy regimin. All schools should have a resident psychologist and or psyciatrist on campus. If they do not, they should be able to recomend someone in town or near by. It is as essential as getting antibiotics for an infection.

Best of luck and know that light is at the end of the tunnel!
I have severe separation anxiety and it can be challenging to deal with at times. Most of the time when i have attacks i will stop breathing. I have never been to a professional about it due to the money factor. I listen to a lot of hypnosis to help me out with it. I also rely a lot on my religious beliefs too. If u or anyone that reads this would like to know more or just need someone to be there.......like I'm needing now just pm me. I hate seeing others suffer as i have suffered.

Wicked Sweetheart

Hmmmmm.

I have a different type of anxiety it sounds like but just being aware of why the symptoms are there are enough to help me wade through it without feeling completely insane. Fresh air normally helps distract me till it passes too.

My friends being aware of my anxiety helps our relationships in as much as when I am having an attack and acting weird they know not to take it personally. But my anxiety isn't exactly social so Idk...

I also have a script I take as needed when I get super awful attacks.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff