Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
You can’t have a lunch’

The only thing 7-year-old Xavier loves more than his math homework are his fruits and veggies.

But Xavier’s parents say they’re concerned because on about Oct. 20, the first-grader was denied school lunch at Cascade View Elementary.

“It was a sack lunch. It was in a bag, she was passing it around to everybody. The lunch lady said, ‘Guess what, you can’t have a lunch.’ She said that. She said I can’t have a lunch,” says Xavier.

Dad says Xavier is on the free lunch program. But instead of getting a meal, he says, Xavier was sent home with a grumbling tummy and a slip saying he had a negative lunch balance.

“My question was never answered as to why he was denied. I was very mad. I couldn’t believe it happened. It happened to me as a child and I could still feel that hurt and I can only imagine what he went through,” says Eric.

We contacted the Snohomish County School District and they say they’re looking into the situation. The school spokesperson says whenever a student’s account is negative $20 or more, the child gets a cheese sandwich and unlimited fruits and veggies from the salad bar, along with a drink.

Eric says this doesn’t apply to his son.

“We get funds from the state, food stamp wise, which means his balance should be covered,” says Eric.

He says he’s angry over how the school handled the situation and he’s concerned over how it’s affected Xavier.

Eric says it’s left such a bad taste in his mouth, he’s thinking of removing his children from the school.

“It made me feel really bad for him. That’s not right. That’s like saying, ‘Hey, you don’t have your book bag so you can’t have your education’. You can’t do that. Feed them. They need to eat. They need to concentrate. They can’t concentrate without eating. I just don’t want this to happen to any other kid. It’s hurtful,” says Eric.

Free lunch

Fuzzy Wolf

9,350 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Citizen 200
Ratttking
Quote:
Eric says it’s left such a bad taste in his mouth, he’s thinking of removing his children from the school.
Good. Less money will need to be spent by taxpayers to support your brats, and meanwhile, you can tighten your belt so that the 2 meals per day they were getting at school can be prepared at home out of your food stamp allotment.

What a worthless family.

so your saying kids shouldnt eat? so what it was you? if you were the child with a empty stomach? You dont know what life is like for them, and yes our some of the many we pay for taxes go to them but least its going to somthing to help the kids in the community.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Techno_Derp
Ratttking
Quote:
Good. Less money will need to be spent by taxpayers to support your brats, and meanwhile, you can tighten your belt so that the 2 meals per day they were getting at school can be prepared at home out of your food stamp allotment.

What a worthless family.

so your saying kids shouldnt eat? so what it was you? if you were the child with a empty stomach? You dont know what life is like for them, and yes our some of the many we pay for taxes go to them but least its going to somthing to help the kids in the community.
I'm saying parents should bear the responsibility of feeding their own offspring. I can think of far better things to spend taxes on .

Fuzzy Wolf

9,350 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Citizen 200
i agree but we dont know what life is like for them :/

Distinct Member

Back in my day, we were informed if we were close to being out by several days.

I think schools should inform when the student is going to be out of money as to avoid this situation.

Distinct Member

As someone who was part of the program when I was a child.

s**t happens it's the reality of both worlds.
I do not give a ******** if someone thought I was a waste of space, or if my mom was stupid for having me.

I am here and not repeating the mistakes of my parent(s) (s cause my bio dad left my mom for another woman when I was like 5 at the time.)

i do think the lunch lady should of ******** kept her mouth shut though.
Just do not give a lunch, give a note or w/e or feed the kid and charge double when hey get refilled.

Where the ******** is common sense in either party?

6,550 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
Unconditional Heart
As someone who was part of the program when I was a child.

s**t happens it's the reality of both worlds.
I do not give a ******** if someone thought I was a waste of space, or if my mom was stupid for having me.

I am here and not repeating the mistakes of my parent(s) (s cause my bio dad left my mom for another woman when I was like 5 at the time.)

i do think the lunch lady should of ******** kept her mouth shut though.
Just do not give a lunch, give a note or w/e or feed the kid and charge double when hey get refilled.

Where the ******** is common sense in either party?

Witty Conversationalist

Ratttking
Quote:

What a worthless family.

School lunches are paid for by the parents. I remember my dad writing checks for each of us for our lunch allowance at school. We had to punch in our pin number to pay for our lunch when we got our tray of food. Those funds go into the budget for food for the students. So if the children are covered by food stamps at the school, the school actually gets a bonus sum of cash to help families in need. In this case, while the school was getting an extra bonus to feed these boys, they denied him and kept the cash.

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Ratttking
Techno_Derp
Ratttking
Quote:

What a worthless family.

I'm saying parents should bear the responsibility of feeding their own offspring. I can think of far better things to spend taxes on .

So you're against the schools providing meals to anybody. Fine, I can understand that point. Even so, I think you are going a bit too far by calling the family worthless. We don't know how they ended up on food stamps or how long they have been receiving government aid. People on welfare still pay taxes just like the rest of us.

Super Streaker

9,175 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Ratttking
Ellieven
Ratttking
Quote:

What a worthless family.

Worthless family my a**! This happened to me when I went to a brick and boarder school (I homeschool now). There was a program that offered free lunch in exchange for minor labors around the cafeteria, like cleaning the tables and helping serve the other students. I did that every year, but couldn't for a week because I had fallen and injured my knee severely. I couldn't really stand and still have problems with it now.
By that Friday, the lunch liaison said that I have run into a negative balance (I didn't have a balance to begin with, I was given free lunch) and so therefore I wasn't allowed to eat.

Now if you're gonna tell me that people who are trying to give their children what they need are worthless, ******** you. You obviously don't know what these people are going through, nor do you care. The only one worthless here is you.

Go ******** yourself!
User Image

Brick and boarder? LMAO. Education itself was wasted on you. Aww, you had to work so you could eat? Welcome to the real world. These people aren't giving their kids squat, they are useless breeders who should be sterilized lest they spawn even more that they cannot support.

Oh no! One word spelled wrong! How their education has failed and been wasted!
No seriously, you have zero idea what you're talking about.
First off, how do you know the financial problems didn't pop up until recently, hm?
Are you saying that families who struggle with money shouldn't work through it together and give up their children because they're going through a rough patch?
rofl no.
First off, like another user said, many parents pay for their school lunches, and some can't afford to pay over 20 ******** dollars a week. Others go on free lunch programs, which basically, depending on the parents' income, get free lunch or not.
I sit with people whos parents income is high enough, but they still can't afford lunch for other reasons. They can still afford to put dinner on the table, and a roof over their head, along with other things, but not lunch. That's how it is sometimes, I'm sure you know you can't afford some things.
After the child gets on that bus or gets on school grounds, it is no longer the parents responsibility to watch them, and it is no longer their responsibility to feed them, seeing as the schools are required to do it themselves, and the parents give their trust to the school to treat them well.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff