Welcome to Gaia! ::

So here's the deal: I need advice from someone that makes their living as a illustrator/someone that may know what to do. My main questions are at the bottom, but in the following spoiler I've included a explanation of what brought me to these questions. Feel free to read it to get a better idea on my situation.

When I started my community college career, I went in thinking I was going to get a Art Education Major. Well, long story short, I started thinking maybe I shouldn't go into teaching if the main reason I was going in it was because I didn't know what else I should do with my life. I don't feel like it's my purpose, so to speak. When I was younger I always imagined myself "making video games," or being part of the process behind cartoons/comics. Something that required me to draw. Sadly, those things just didn't seem to be realistic, so I considered teaching. But now I've even crossed that off the list.

A couple weeks after I came to the realization I didn't want to teach I took this personality test at a college nearby to help me in realizing what I should do. It asks you questions about your own preferences, and then gives you ideas for what careers you should go into/what you should major in. Here's the top 11 of my own results:

1. Website Designer
2. Artist
3. Animator
4. Illustrator
5. Multimedia Developer
6. Cartoonist/Comic Illustrator
7. Announcer
8. Proofreader
9. Desktop Publisher
10. Video Game Developer
11. Writer

When I saw my list, I was excited. It's like even this machine can see what I'm truly interested in. Besides 1 and 7-9, I've considered them all. Originally, when I was starting school, I thought how pointless it would be to attempt getting into these kinds of field- like how do I even start going into illustration, etc. in little old Iowa? But after seeing that even the test that determines what I should go into recommends things I've been passionate about, I thought to myself: why couldn't I at least try?

gaia_spoons If you're an illustrator, what exactly do you do for a living/what kind of jobs are you doing? How did you start and get to the point at which you're at? What would you recommend for someone like me that has no idea what they're doing?

gaia_spoons Also, is anyone around here a animator, or even video game concept artist? I would love to hear your sides, too! If I wanted to go into animation, or concept art, would a art degree with a emphasis on illustration be good?

gaia_spoons This last one is a bit random, but is anyone familiar with doing illustrations for children's books? Over the summer I wrote my own children's book, did pictures for it, but I have no idea where to go from here. I don't know who to send it to, or another. The artwork looks like this if you're curious:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Any help & advice would be awesome! heart

Peculiar Entrepreneur

I believe this site can help you with your book.
As for your other questions, Most art jobs care more about your skill than your degree(freelance anyway, some companies want some kind of a degree). A illustration degree should be fine. You can learn the other stuff online for free.
A solid portfolio and maintaining a good internet presence (artist's website, tumblr, twitter, facebook) are the best way to get illustration jobs. Employers don't care if you have a degree. If you can do the work, and if you can complete it on time, are all that matters to them.

Like illustrators, concept artist jobs are usually contracted. Most game studios only keep a small number of concept artist full time, and most of them can pull double duty as modelers, animators or level designers.

If don't live near an art school, there are plenty of online options.

Proko

Ctrl+Paint

These sites are mostly about learning the fundamentals of drawing and are a good place to start. Much of the content is free or relatively affordable.

CG Master Academy

Schoolism

Both of the sites above have classes taught by industry professionals. The classes are expensive, but are totally worth it if you're serious about illustration.

Shadowy Rogue

si question exclaim
First of all, thank you guys so much for posting! Any help is awesome. heart

Psychonautic
I believe this site can help you with your book.
As for your other questions, Most art jobs care more about your skill than your degree(freelance anyway, some companies want some kind of a degree). A illustration degree should be fine. You can learn the other stuff online for free.

I definitely agree about talent being more important! About learning "the other stuff" online, where do you think I should look exactly? I'm completely new to this type of thing but I want to start reaching out.

Also, what exactly is dragonpencil? Is that one of those kind of sites where you pay them to print your material or something? I'm a little confused with that. sweatdrop

mellenoe
Illustration is a broad topic, examples of employment in illustration include galleries, comic books, picture books, editorials, etc. It really depends on your interests and the subject of your art. Personally, I lean towards gallery illustration and picture books, since I prefer maximum freedom in my art, but some people are really good problem solvers where they're able to illustrate concepts and texts that're commissioned by others.

The problem with animation and illustration can go both ways, where people think illustration can be self-taught because it's just drawing, animation as well, since it's just programs which may be learnt through the internet. But what most people are unaware of is that both majors really show you the industry, it gives you hands on experience and all-around knowledge of things you can do outside school. The knowledge and encounters you gain will really be invaluable and inspiring.

Since you're into drawing and storytelling you should take illustration. It will teach you things like storyboarding, character design and publishing procedures.

As for your children's book, always copyright it first. Not sure how they do it in the USA but there's usually a government site that will have a database of copyright material of which will allow you to add your own.

All those things sound like they'd be right up my alley! I take it that you're an illustrator yourself or something of the sort? I would love to hear how you got started. Right now I'm basically no where, and would love to hear any successes.

TuckyX
A solid portfolio and maintaining a good internet presence (artist's website, tumblr, twitter, facebook) are the best way to get illustration jobs. Employers don't care if you have a degree. If you can do the work, and if you can complete it on time, are all that matters to them.

Like illustrators, concept artist jobs are usually contracted. Most game studios only keep a small number of concept artist full time, and most of them can pull double duty as modelers, animators or level designers.

If don't live near an art school, there are plenty of online options.

Proko

Ctrl+Paint

These sites are mostly about learning the fundamentals of drawing and are a good place to start. Much of the content is free or relatively affordable.

CG Master Academy

Schoolism

Both of the sites above have classes taught by industry professionals. The classes are expensive, but are totally worth it if you're serious about illustration.

Sounds awesome, really. Maintaining a online portfolio doesn't sound bad at all. What worries me tho is even finding a job. How would one even do that? I know it sounds crazy, but I have no idea how people even get started. gonk

Peculiar Entrepreneur

Tuken

I definitely agree about talent being more important! About learning "the other stuff" online, where do you think I should look exactly? I'm completely new to this type of thing but I want to start reaching out.

Also, what exactly is dragonpencil? Is that one of those kind of sites where you pay them to print your material or something? I'm a little confused with that. sweatdrop

Youtube is full of tutorials and advice on things. FZDschool being one of the best I know of for making your art more professional.

I think dragonpencil is a pay to publish site. I am not too sure since I never used it, It was on a list of job opportunities for artists. I think any publishing service would work as long as you get a ISBN(so it can be sold in stores)

Dapper Dabbler

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces