Welcome to Gaia! ::

You're pretty well accurate on everything. I recall the threat which brought the Summons. I bought a full set for two accounts and several of the chance version just to ensure I could get two sets of each. Bought two BB tickets, two Bloodstone amulets, and countless boosters, amps, revives, and the like. I'd buy a new pack of revives before each Dev Meat just in case [ JK ] unleashed his spawns upon us. Basically, I spent a good chunk of cash supporting zOMG!. I recall a few times skipping meals just so I could support zOMG!. Only to discover that most of that money that was supposed to be going to zOMG! was going toward other Gaia projects, including those that took developers away from zOMG!. Let's talk about betrayal for a moment.

You also bring up a valid point that I've been wanting to address since I returned to find zOMG! had been s**t-canned. I will concede that zOMG! was not a money-maker. However, it was not designed to be. zOMG! was developed to attract and retain customers to Gaia. In fact, for the first couple years you didn't even need an account to play. It was distributed to several free-to-play game sites and allowed you to log in as a guest. You could choose from a few different avis and were assigned a 'Guest' name followed by an alphanumeric sequence. You could potentially play through the entire game as a guest, but if you log out your progress was not saved, but you were offered the opportunity to create an account where your progress could be saved.

The idea was to draw new members into Gaia so that they would then get comfortable and perhaps purchase pixels. The other idea was to retain the current client-base, to inspire them to login more frequently, stay longer, and be more inclined to purchase pixels. zOMG! was, in essence, a hook. And it worked. It drew in new members and kept people around far longer than they otherwise would have.

Gaia has been telling us for the past four years that zOMG! was not making, and was in fact, costing them money. Okay, I get that. What they're not taking into account is the fact that scores of people stayed on Gaia or returned from hiatus just because of zOMG!. I'm certainly one of them. The other thing they're not considering when they say, "zOMG! doesn't make any money", is that many of those who are here just because of zOMG! often do spend money. They either buy zOMG!-related boosters or main site items such as MCs, EIs, and the like. Happy customers spend money. That's economics 101. You take the one thing away that's keeping those people here regularly, or at all, you eliminate their contribution to the economy. Unhappy customers seek happiness elsewhere.

Wait and watch. People may not leave immediately; humans are fascinated by chaos and will often linger around to watch things burn, but they will eventually leave. In the coming weeks they'll get bored. Their attentions will be drawn to other things and eventually Gaia will become something they'll recall once in a while. They may pop in just to see if there's anything going on, and then they'll leave again. That's when Gaia will begin to see what an impact zOMG! had on this site. That's when Gaia may realize just how much money zOMG! made for them. By then though, the damage will be done and it may be too late to do anything about it.

User Image

Perfect Saint

ryry Kenny_McGroot ryry
Aseres
maybe add the obvious bullshit point where they claim to "love" the game - the only people that worked at gaia that played the game no longer work there.

- JK, Kuzun and Swarf played through most of the game and all have a CL of 10+
- Mlos, Mav and Bron played the game as well, but to which extend I don't know
- Sagger-AT3 (the 2% guy) and fin (old old CEO) played the game to around CL5+ and made an effort to mingle with the community and run pugs

And that is literally it.

None of the above listed people work for Gaia anymore. I wonder how much the people working at Gaia now have to love a game to actually try it!

Hell, even s2b2 (a MoGa dev) played zOMG! regularly- I think he even made it to CL 12.

I'd really like some sort of feature that lets us see somebody's progress in zOMG! just so we can see how little the people working at Gaia have played it, if at all.
I rolled with s2b2 in DMS. We were highly amused that we both brought Coyote Spirit instead of Rock Armor, but we made it through the YM farming. I believe he had a contest with [ JK ] which of them will get to CL 12 first and I think he may have won.

Angelic Allegiant

I had no idea any of this happened. Just disgusting. To make users pay for zomg, and then rip it away from them...

cxnceited's Senpai

Omnipresent Spirit

17,900 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Joyless Deception
I had no idea any of this happened. Just disgusting. To make users pay for zomg, and then rip it away from them...

Given the situation, your username accurately describes what has happened to the z!Community.

Twas fun, while it lasted.

Angelic Allegiant

A Random Act of Terror
Joyless Deception

Given the situation, your username accurately describes what has happened to the z!Community.

Twas fun, while it lasted.

XD

But, yeah =/ Not impressed with what I've come back to on here.

Predestined Foe

7,600 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Partygoer 500
In all honesty the developers have lost my confidence in them entirely. In fact they never earned it.
I knew they would do this eventually, as with all things it was only a matter of time.

Fashionable Nerd

Oh god, reading this has made me remember being
    basically forced into buying the stupid items to try and
    'save zOMG'. I felt bullied by some people I knew to
    buy it since I played zOMG so much. emotion_facepalm

And what good did it do in the end anyway? Ugh.
    I will always miss all of the fun I had in that game.

Perfect Bloodsucker

17,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Threadmaster 200
Wow ******** Gaia for moving this thread to the CB.

Tenacious Glitch

24,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Newbie Helper 100
Aseres
maybe add the obvious bullshit point where they claim to "love" the game - the only people that worked at gaia that played the game no longer work there.

- JK, Kuzun and Swarf played through most of the game and all have a CL of 10+
- Mlos, Mav and Bron played the game as well, but to which extend I don't know
- Sagger-AT3 (the 2% guy) and fin (old old CEO) played the game to around CL5+ and made an effort to mingle with the community and run pugs

And that is literally it.

None of the above listed people work for Gaia anymore. I wonder how much the people working at Gaia now have to love a game to actually try it!

I helped Mavdoc level from 7 CL to 10.1 CL, so nice to know he played the game quite a bit too. He never did get to fight Kamila sadly. So nice to see you post Aseres. I'm just sad I never did the opportunity of crewing with you in zOMG!, but it has been awesome playing other games with you. I don't believe Gaia either, but oh well. Thanks for showing me Aura Kingdom at least.

Mon's Pardner

Rebel Entrepreneur

16,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
sucks your thread was most to CB kenny D:
such important news and i guess gaia cant handle the truth

LabTechX's Waifu

Luminous Fairy

I wouldn't be so quick to assume the majority of staff members weren't playing it at all. Some may have been using mules.

Other than that, I wholeheartedly agree. zOMG was clearly a labor of love from some truly dedicated developers. And yet, because Gaia seems incapable of finding management that understands "you have to spend money to make money", all that effort went to waste. The plug was already pulled years ago, and it's been running on the community battery ever since...

That's really what I think stinks about this. They haven't given any sort of indication of what it would actually cost to fix, just that it was -- supposedly -- more than they were willing to pay. Why? Because it cost anything at all?

Honestly... I can't even blame zOMG's death on the current management. That's just the latest step in a long, dark road Gaia's been heading down. Had they ever found a leader who realized the power of investing, and who had sunk enough into it for long enough for it to become self-sustaining and turn a proper profit -- made more of the site tie into it instead of pulling away from it, offered more merchandise to both promote it and make money off it, worked to make more crafted items that required more work to get rather than throwing all but the endgame items fully-crafted into a Daily Chance...

Then zOMG might still have an actual dev team that would be able to fix this.

Big Bear

23,125 Points
  • Team Rina 200
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Budding Witch 250
this is worst then when ion storm was made.

LabTechX's Waifu

Luminous Fairy

Jesus christ, they moved it to the CB while I was typing that.

Thanks for listening, Gaia.

emotion_eyebrow

Angelic Allegiant

ryry Kenny_McGroot ryry
Wow ******** Gaia for moving this thread to the CB.

Wow... Yeah, they couldn't delete it so they tried to bury it.

You'd think if they were going to move it out of SF they'd have put it in Z!F

Tenacious Glitch

24,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Newbie Helper 100
View the move to the CB as a blessing Kenny since it has more traffic than the SF. It's just one more forum to be aware of what happened with zOMG!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff