Welcome to Gaia! ::

IRL Vampire

I have a tissue
Aseres
I have a tissue
ryry Kenny_McGroot ryry
I have a tissue

You seem like you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

I have no doubt that it would seem that way to those who continuously have a bias opinion toward zOMG being shut down.
You're not really talking about zOMG being shut down as much as you are talking about Mav and why he supposedly doesn't deserve the gratitude of the company though - what does that have to do with being upset over zOMG being shut down? He's very dear to a lot of zOMG people not because they're suck ups and he's an ex-dev, but because he is actually a really genuinely nice guy who went above and beyond to make people happy and promote the game.

I gave feedback on your feedback. That's how the forum works. I do not believe that anyone that worked on this prior needs any sort of acknowledgement if they are going to publicly contribute riling up members.

Regardless, I'm fine with whatever festivities make people feel better so zOMG has a proper sendoff in their eyes. I wouldn't participate in it like any other event, but that is neither here or there. However, I am not up for the idea of giving people props the way you are suggesting.
That's what you did in your original post, but in the one I responded to you completely discredited Kenny's disagreement with your view on Mav based on the claim "that he is just upset about zOMG being shut down", and the two simply have nothing to do with each other.

OG Gaian

5,075 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Rally Tyro 100
I have a tissue
The Dropkick JD
I have a tissue
Aseres
Send a fruit basket and a big bottle of good stuff to Mavdoc who, even after he got laid off, spent his free time building the z!Community and promoting your game for you even when you didn't care to. On that note, commemorate the developers and artists who poured their hearts into zOMG!

Among other things that are just impossibly unfounded about this situation, this is one of them.

I became curious and read Mavdoc's posts. He can't even believe that there was a major security flaw and being incredibly negative about the fact that Gaia did this in the best interests of security.

As far as user retention, not having continuous updates means only those that are fans of the existing game have interest in it. From the looks of things, it's not as many people as what some would like to think.

If it would make people feel better then I can support doing festivities and whatever (which was already stated that there was something in the works) but a lot of the rest of this... Not so much.

The only reason no one believes Gaia is because of their track record. What did you want the guy who supported this game, or anyone who supported the game for this long to say? "WELL, GUESS YOU'RE RIGHT. THERE WAS JUST A HOLE IN IT, 10/10 WOULD CLOSE AGAIN". Let me put this into a perspective you should see, since you actually made the comparison to yourself.

If you keep saying that people should believe there may have been an exploit, or think others should believe in it, then why don't you believe in the fact that Gaia may need all the cash they keep sucking out of their users? It doesn't mean you're against the site. You're throwing claims at him, like others have thrown claims at you,m and have annoyed you.

Also, you really, really need to stop saying that last point "it's not as many people". Stop. You sound ridiculous, which is not how you normally formulate your opinions. You can look at Site Feedback. At this point, you can even go to towns. You can go to the zOMG forums [duh], the Gaia Community, CB. There were tons of threads against this decision. SF has been filled with them for how many days now? That's like saying only a minority care about the gold rigs.

I don't know why you're dead set against zOMG. We've had this discussion. You've established it may have not been the best in a economical stance, but we've both agreed on different things, including about how they let it go for too long and how they pulled the plug were handled horribly. But you need to let this "Well, it's only a minority that care" thing go. I don't give a damn about the "Toonami effect" claim because that's seeming more and more false with each claim.

This idea is perfect. It gives closure to a staple on Gaia's history. And there's no reason, you or me, should be against this idea. I didn't play zOMG much either, but I can appreciate what it meant to the community.

It wasn't a "community" as in "the entire site". Not everyone on the site played zOMG or gave two poops about it being there. There isn't much you can say that will change how Gaia feels about it, and I care more for my account than having zOMG alive.

Economic issues? Sure. That affects everyone.

zOMG? Notsomuch. It was a niche feature with a very specific fan following. That's not the same as the entire site having vested interest in the game, no more than what Fishing and Cards have. If Fishing were to implode it wouldn't bug me that the feature was gone- I'd only be bugged about how they do it because their customer relations suck.

I'd also like someone to sit down and actually tabulate the unique accounts that used zOMG religiously that are upset versus the amount of people who are only upset that it's gone and had little activity within the game. If those who just care about it being gone outweigh those who religiously used it, then Gaia has ample reason to pull it without saying that it had a security issue.

I find it perplexing that anyone believes that Gaia has anything to gain in just randomly angering part of the userbase that has sat quietly in its own little corner of Gaia.

Yeah, Gaia didn't handle it well, I 100% support this idea. Anything outside of that is just drawing conclusions because of "big bad Gaia".
I can't say the same, maybe that's why I'm so iffy about it. While I love the fact I came back, I love my avatar, my profile. I wouldn't mind losing it. Only the friends I made, honestly.

Again, the first point really doesn't justify anything. Not everyone uses towns. Not everyone uses the forums. And maybe fishing and slots don't pull as much activity. Regardless, you don't just pull the plug on a staple feature and expect everyone to be okay with that excuse. Nor do you say "oh we'll give a compensation" and figure that's a good enough apology.

It had a specific fan following, but so does Rallys. So does towns. All of these things have "specific followings", it's how Gaia is. It's how it always was. It had it's diverse communities, but it was a community nonetheless. And it seems like no one is trying to speak up for Gaia at this point. That's bad. That's really bad.

This idea is something they almost need to do. That's why I questioned your original post here because it made you seem questionable towards it. If they ever want people to be okay with all of this, the idea needs to happen. Or... by all means, they can carry on how they have been and just not give two shits about it.
ryry Kenny_McGroot ryry
I have a tissue
I do not believe that anyone that worked on this prior needs any sort of acknowledgement if they are going to publicly contribute riling up members.

Yeah, all the good that Mavdoc has done should be thrown out the window just because he wrote one little rant (that wasn't even its own thread, even. It was just a post (that will probably buried within a month) in a thread that has frequent activity). How dare he say that one thing that one time!

That's not the point.

The point is that anyone that does not have a positive, or at the very least an unbias opinion, should not be in the running for acknowledgment. While their efforts were admirable in creating zOMG, the aftermath is not being helped by the overly-attached feelings toward a feature that they have not worked on themselves in years.

IRL Vampire

I have a tissue
ryry Kenny_McGroot ryry
I have a tissue
I do not believe that anyone that worked on this prior needs any sort of acknowledgement if they are going to publicly contribute riling up members.

Yeah, all the good that Mavdoc has done should be thrown out the window just because he wrote one little rant (that wasn't even its own thread, even. It was just a post (that will probably buried within a month) in a thread that has frequent activity). How dare he say that one thing that one time!

That's not the point.

The point is that anyone that does not have a positive, or at the very least an unbias opinion, should not be in the running for acknowledgment. While their efforts were admirable in creating zOMG, the aftermath is not being helped by the overly-attached feelings toward a feature that they have not worked on themselves in years.
You're basing all this on the assumption that Mav is slandering Gaia, as opposed to be calling them out for lying. Why are you so sure he's overreacting? Because you can't imagine why Gaia would take down zOMG? You must have not kept up with how they've been wanting to take down the game for the last 4 years and used that threat to create pressure on the z!community to keep buying powerups (I wish I was kidding or exaggerating with this statement, but I literally am not).
If Gaia are continuing in their douchey ways they are of course not going to reward someone for calling them out on their wrong-doings, but that doesn't mean that they, on a moral level, shouldn't.

And btw, what you wrote in your other reply: by far not everyone is effected by the economy. I sold my Gaia riches for art a long time ago, have an avi I like and literally don't care to acquire new items or change it. A lot of people don't change their avatar a lot and stick to items they already own or can get a hold of easily. Heck, there are a lot of people that play mini games on the site without even caring what their avatar looks like at all - remember the jigsaw thing I mentioned earlier? Back when jigsaw was the no 1 feature the admins were struggling to come up with ideas to entice the jigsaw people to check out the rest of the site.
I'm not saying the economy isn't a major issue, but it is not an issue to every user - canning zOMG is a major issue as well, albeit not for every user on the site.

Perfect Saint

I have a powerful need for these things. emotion_dowant

Tenacious Glitch

24,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Newbie Helper 100
Great ideas Aseres. I hope Gaia considers them. Sorry I won't be around to see it done, but let me know if any of it does. I'm so sick of the bogus claims from a small minority of users saying only 10% of the user base used the game, so reason why they should have get rid of it. Less than that polled actually enjoy GGs yet those are around. At least some community members can leave the let the zOMG! community and stop attacking them. Have some darn compassion and understanding for a community that has lost their favorite feature. Do you expect the same treatment when your favorite feature gets taken away too? Don't worry about the user bugging you Aseres since they are hiding on a mule. I do agree that Gaia's explanation from in the announcement was poorly executed. Last I heard it was a hardware issue rather than a coding issue, so I'm just going to accept that explanation and move on.

Borg

Aseres
gg for actually making me log in...

Look, I'm not going to pretend I thought for one minute you were ever going to bring zOMG back up after shutting it down, and I really don't want to hear how much you "loved" zOMG when every Gaia employee who's ever made it past CL 2 has either left the company or was let go, but if you really feel you need to axe the single best thing that's ever happened to this website

at least let zOMG go out with a bang.

An apology? Cute. How about a Manga update and an event? Give us an event where we solve the mystery of why things became animated in the first place and undo it once and for all. Accompany this with a Manga of epic proportions! You gave us the beginning of a story, now give us the end!

Commemorate people who have dedicated a lot of their time, effort and love to the game: Give some snazzy equippable for people who have collected tons of badges (do you even remember what those were?), something for those who have gotten a lot, if not all rings to CL 12, people who have beat EB or Kamilla or freaking Papa Saw hundrets of times, forum warriors who have an absurd amount of posts in the z!F...
You've spent years ignoring the z!Community and treating them like s**t, how about, if you're oh soooo sorry, you show a little bit of appreciation.

Carry the mini pets over to towns 2.0, or better even, the avatar system! They are too cute not to keep. Like have you seen baby landshark????

If you don't have the resources to keep the entire game, try to salvage certain game modes, like the otami gauntlet run, the hive, the colliseum, the shallow sea instance, ect ect.

Tie up the storylines of the NPCs in zOMG and give them some happy endings, Marshall is still lonely!

Send a fruit basket and a big bottle of good stuff to Mavdoc
who, even after he got laid off, spent his free time building the z!Community and promoting your game for you even when you didn't care to. On that note, commemorate the developers and artists who poured their hearts into zOMG!

Look Gaia admin people... like it or not, zOMG is the most ambitious and complex project your "we're lucky if we can make it out of beta"-company has ever developed. Admit it or not, but it's been a fantastic community builder and retention tool to the mainsite, and yes, after all these years I'm sure it's even given you some profit (shame on you for never advertising and promoting the game in the first place. If you ever wonder why it failed - there you have your answer). So get off your high horse and celebrate your one single moment of victory in a dignified, worthy way.

Awesome post!! Thank you!!! Agree with everything 11000%!!! AAAAAA++++++ WOULD BUY AGAI...erm... anyhow... *applauds wildly*

emotion_hug

// "Blaze and Kam ride off into the sunset as Marshall finds a mysterious love with Purvis as their eyes meet over a glowing stack of fried grucken..."

Profitable Sex Symbol

11,000 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Partygoer 500
I have a tissue
Aseres
Send a fruit basket and a big bottle of good stuff to Mavdoc who, even after he got laid off, spent his free time building the z!Community and promoting your game for you even when you didn't care to. On that note, commemorate the developers and artists who poured their hearts into zOMG!

Among other things that are just impossibly unfounded about this situation, this is one of them.

I became curious and read Mavdoc's posts. He can't even believe that there was a major security flaw and being incredibly negative about the fact that Gaia did this in the best interests of security.

In my untrained opinion, that's not exactly the mark of a good community member post-employment, especially when he's cursing and nay-saying the business that he worked with. That's a far cry from being the poster child of contributing community members.

It would be different if he had an attitude that supported the site or was at least unbias, but it more reeks of spite and venom toward Gaia. I should know- I have an admittedly bias opinion toward Gaia's business decisions. They suck as a business but they wouldn't be intentionally cruel.

Why would Gaia ever want to commemorate a bias opinion toward them? Even I know that falling from good graces means you're more likely to be ignored. If I were in Gaia's shoes, this is a black mark on ex-zOMG contributors more than what it's a positive thing for the community at large.

As far as user retention, not having continuous updates means only those that are fans of the existing game have interest in it. From the looks of things, it's not as many people as what some would like to think.

If it would make people feel better then I can support doing festivities and whatever (which was already stated that there was something in the works) but a lot of the rest of this... Not so much.

I just went through his posts so could you link me to a post with him cursing Gaia? Also i find it funny that in your opinion he is not a good community member because he may or might not be bitter over a old employer

So many Americans over the past four years have taken the big boot from the corporate hammer due to the increase's in insurance from Obama Care does that mean that they have no right to complain about their old boss's due to professional integrity

I am bitter at my old boss and i sure dont talk nice about him to my own friends, the moment his employment at Gaia Online ended is the moment any ties to professional integrity towards them ended.

He is free ,over 21 and has a right to a bias opinion, try to find one Gaian on this site that does not have a bias opinion about something on this site.

Wynter Nyx's Princess

Deathly Gatekeeper

yeeeesssssss <3

Savage Fairy

24,600 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Shichibuki Trafalgar Law
the moment his employment at Gaia Online ended is the moment any ties to professional integrity towards them ended.
This right here. Mav has every right to openly criticize Gaia since he no longer works there. He deserves to be commemorated with the rest of the people who worked on zOMG!.

Profitable Sex Symbol

11,000 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Partygoer 500
Scobre
Great ideas Aseres. I hope Gaia considers them. Sorry I won't be around to see it done, but let me know if any of it does. I'm so sick of the bogus claims from a small minority of users saying only 10% of the user base used the game, so reason why they should have get rid of it. Less than that polled actually enjoy GGs yet those are around. At least some community members can leave the let the zOMG! community and stop attacking them. Have some darn compassion and understanding for a community that has lost their favorite feature. Do you expect the same treatment when your favorite feature gets taken away too? Don't worry about the user bugging you Aseres since they are hiding on a mule. I do agree that Gaia's explanation from in the announcement was poorly executed. Last I heard it was a hardware issue rather than a coding issue, so I'm just going to accept that explanation and move on.
Heard you were leaving i am, gonna hella miss you friend, been on many DMS runs with you emo , your gonna make me cry
Shichibuki Trafalgar Law
I have a tissue
Aseres

In my untrained opinion, that's not exactly the mark of a good community member post-employment, especially when he's cursing and nay-saying the business that he worked with. That's a far cry from being the poster child of contributing community members.

It would be different if he had an attitude that supported the site or was at least unbias, but it more reeks of spite and venom toward Gaia. I should know- I have an admittedly bias opinion toward Gaia's business decisions. They suck as a business but they wouldn't be intentionally cruel.

Why would Gaia ever want to commemorate a bias opinion toward them? Even I know that falling from good graces means you're more likely to be ignored. If I were in Gaia's shoes, this is a black mark on ex-zOMG contributors more than what it's a positive thing for the community at large.

I just went through his posts so could you link me to a post with him cursing Gaia? Also i find it funny that in your opinion he is not a good community member because he may or might not be bitter over a old employer

So many Americans over the past four years have taken the big boot from the corporate hammer due to the increase's in insurance from Obama Care does that mean that they have no right to complain about their old boss's due to professional integrity

I am bitter at my old boss and i sure dont talk nice about him to my own friends, the moment his employment at Gaia Online ended is the moment any ties to professional integrity towards them ended.

He is free ,over 21 and has a right to a bias opinion, try to find one Gaian on this site that does not have a bias opinion about something on this site.

You mean you missed the one where he says "******** you Gaia" and went into an entire spiel about stuff that he has no idea about being that he hasn't worked for the site in years? That is behavior that is very unbecoming of any former employee. One could argue that this is a violation of non-disparage on top of everything else.

No employer that views this as a violation of non-disparagement is going to give wine and roses to a former employee in my experience.

Tenacious Glitch

24,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Newbie Helper 100
Shichibuki Trafalgar Law
I have a tissue
Aseres

Here it is. Mavdoc He hasn't worked with Gaia in a few years so probably not tied by the NDA anymore. He's my friend and one of the nicest Gaians I've met, so it was a shock and made me laugh how he worded his post. I actually know quite a few people who have had contact with Gaia HQ and don't believe the excuse. It's like the L33T thing all over again except there is actually ex-staff to back it up now. I'm just accepting the hardware excuse whether it is true or not and moving away from this site.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff