Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shadowy Rogue

3,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
I've lived in the USA my whole life, and I'm entertaining the idea of moving to the UK. It would be a big change, but it may be necessary. I'd consider other places in Europe, but I only speak English and am too wrapped up in learning Japanese to learn yet another language. I'll research more about these things myself, but I figured directly asking someone who knows more would be good to start with.

My concerns are primarily based around healthcare, job availability, and living arrangements. First off, what is the healthcare system like, and what does it require for an immigrant to become part of it?

Secondly, I need a job I can actually handle. I'm currently in college for game development, and I should be getting my associate's degree in 2015. Unless I can impress a game dev company and get a job doing that immediately, I'll need to continue taking classes. How does university work in the UK? Can I get accepted with an A.A.? Will it require student loans?

As for the actual job part, are there many opportunities in the UK for jobs that allow some degree of creativity or personal expression? Is there any hiring going on in general? I suppose when it comes down to it, my deepest concern is that I want to be able to wear what I want. A uniform feels... wrong. I dress to impress when I can afford it, but I have a distinct... cyberpunk, perhaps, style about me. It is deeply important to me as a human being.

Lastly, I would much prefer to live in a large city, or at least near one. Preferably a more liberal sort of place, I suppose. Any Asian parts of town might also be a way for us to fit in better. Are these criteria compatible with my needs?

Thanks for reading through my silliness.

Obsessive Man-Lover

27,675 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Abomination 100
  • 50 Wins 150
i don't really know about healthcare or university for people from other places since i'm from the UK (what's an A.A ? i'm pretty sure most of everything at university in UK requires student loans. unless like me you're scottish and go to university in scotland because then you get free tuition yay )

i don't feel like there are too many jobs in the UK (at least where i'm from) that allow a lot of 'personal expression'. obviously there are some but for jobs i had i always had to wear a uniform, keep my hair 'normal' colours or just dye it pink and blue and green until my boss says something about it, take out my piercings and cover my tattoos.
there are jobs if you're willing to take any job (at least until you find something better) but if you're looking for something specific you might be looking/applying/interviewing for a while.

people where i lived liked to be like "foreigners come here and take all the jobs!" as an excuse for unemployment but really when i was looking for a job and was willing to take anything it only took me a few weeks to get something.

there are probably more job opportunities in big cities but obviously living costs are higher. it's easy enough to live outside of a city and travel into the city when you need to since public transport is generally pretty good (albeit expensive, depending on the specific circumstances). there are usually weekly/monthly/yearly passes you can buy to save money if you're going to be travelling a lot.

Shadowy Rogue

3,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
Pugnacious Banana
i don't really know about healthcare or university for people from other places since i'm from the UK (what's an A.A ? i'm pretty sure most of everything at university in UK requires student loans. unless like me you're scottish and go to university in scotland because then you get free tuition yay )

i don't feel like there are too many jobs in the UK (at least where i'm from) that allow a lot of 'personal expression'. obviously there are some but for jobs i had i always had to wear a uniform, keep my hair 'normal' colours or just dye it pink and blue and green until my boss says something about it, take out my piercings and cover my tattoos.
there are jobs if you're willing to take any job (at least until you find something better) but if you're looking for something specific you might be looking/applying/interviewing for a while.

people where i lived liked to be like "foreigners come here and take all the jobs!" as an excuse for unemployment but really when i was looking for a job and was willing to take anything it only took me a few weeks to get something.

there are probably more job opportunities in big cities but obviously living costs are higher. it's easy enough to live outside of a city and travel into the city when you need to since public transport is generally pretty good (albeit expensive, depending on the specific circumstances). there are usually weekly/monthly/yearly passes you can buy to save money if you're going to be travelling a lot.

Ah sorry, an A.A. is an Associate of Arts degree, from my local community college. I suppose it's better than my highschool dropout alternative degree. xD
I looked up a little info on student loans, and it appears there are options for international students. It definitely looks a lot more fair than what's in the US.

Perhaps my best bet is to see if I can get some sort of paid internship in a game development studio, or some sort of sponsorship towards my schooling or... something. I suppose apart from that it would simply be a matter of searching around.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff