Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shy Lover

13,800 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Generous 100
Personally, I am not upset that it had to go. It was quite obvious that the game wasn't going to last. Not because there wasn't a lot of people playing it, but because of the lack of staff members actually caring for it. Since GaiaOnline management team had laid off or fired devs of Zomg and even some devs quit themselves (I think) it was no surprise that Zomg was going down hill. Uncle Kenny is the last staff before leaving Gaia who attempted to fix any issues on Zomg. Ever since then, it was clear that the game was going to be neglected.

However, it's how the staff and management of Gaia handled the situation of Zomg that made me upset. They may have attempted to fix the site, but let's face it, it was clear there was no going back. You had heavily neglected the game. There was no new actual stuff for the game and updates were a "once-in-a-blue-moon."

Then with the whole announcements explaining that Zomg was being closed down for a while to repair stuff has been past a month already. Take a look fellow users and staff who may be reading:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

This was it, this was all you gave to us, users, about the maintenance. You made people believe that Zomg was coming back. I would have understood a bit more had you warned us about how hard the situation truly is, especially because (let's face it) you didn't have the proper devs to do the job. Not to mention that it was taking so long, a month to be exact.

Then you finally leave us with this announcement:
11/06/2014
As many of you know we shut down zOMG! to perform critical repairs to the game servers. Particularly we were addressing some critical vulnerabilities in the server infrastructure. We could not give a specific repair completion date because the extent of what systems the repairs would make to the game were unknown. Sadly, the changes needed were extensive and due to both hardware and Engineering limitations we had to make the tough call not to proceed. This means our beloved zOMG! MMO will not be making a triumphant return.

We will have an update for you next Wednesday regarding recipes, your existing rings, and other zOMG exclusive elements. To all of our loyal zOMG'ers, we wish to thank you for years of loyal support. Over the next couple weeks we will be holding various contests to help commemorate and celebrate your favorite moments in the game. In fact, we have our first one starting, just check it out below! zOMG! was an exciting journey into a whole new world of fun and excitement.

Announcement can be found here.

It was absolutely no surprise for me, but at the same time I was pretty disappointed how it was handled. It took you a month to tell us this. A month to simply explain the issues you were facing. A month of having users' hopes 'weee' high.

You said, and I quote, "Sadly, the changes needed were extensive and due to both hardware and Engineering limitations we had to make the tough call not to proceed." Now if you knew that you didn't have the proper hardware and engineering to begin with (because this is something that should have been brought up prior to fixing or updating a game in general), why were you unable to give us a proper heads up about this prior to this announcement? I'm sure this was figured out midway through October, unless you had postponed the fixing to the game since it took you a month to tell us that you had to shut down Zomg completely.

However, I was also slightly fishy about this. During the maintenance, you had also stated that you closed down the shop for Zomg so that no one would make purchases for the game since it was going to be down for maintenance. Why would a store be shut down for a game that was only suppose to go under maintenance? This is one of the other reasons that led me to believe that Zomg was most likely not going to continue.

As I said, I had no hopes of it coming back. In fact, I expected it. The game was severely neglected and the developers for the game no longer worked for GaiaOnline. But I was disappointed in how it was handled.

Feel free to make any extra points or opinions to this thread. However, refrain from insulting a staff or a user on this. I was this to be a clean thread. Thank you.

RowanMoonGuard's Fangirl

Ursine Champion

18,900 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Team Moira 200
  • Bookworm 100
I love how you worded your thoughts.

Blob

This post. heart

More than half of the problems this site has stem from poor/lack of communication with the userbase.

Gracious Reveler

27,400 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
Muyuu, thanks for your reasonable post. I understand the anger others have, but it made me uncomfortable to support rude threads.

I too had reservations about what it all meant (re: zOMG maintenance), though I did hope it would come back.

Losing this game is such a huge step back in time. Bizarre to see, as an old Gaian who saw it grow in the first place.

Gracious Reveler

27,400 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
SylvieRagdoll
This post. heart

More than half of the problems this site has stem from poor/lack of communication with the userbase.
Agreed! Some direct responses would be nice.

When I worked Front Desk for a hotel I often found that just that was enough to reassure upset guests, even if a solution wasn't possible. If there is a reasonable explanation. most people will accept it, if they can only hear it.

"Least said soonest mended" is not the proverb for this mood.

Duremian Demigod

20,375 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Team Moira 200
I think zomg closing had more to do that it was left to languish for a long time and was in a major need of repairs. That kind of state there's only two things you can accomplish either fix it or kill it. Depending on how bad the bugs were it was wise for them to kill zomg off.

I think we need to stop kidding ourselves and just accept that coding is harder than it looks. That no matter how many digits or bits of code they input, something is going to get broken and sometimes a lot worse. I think we need to be practical (maybe take a few coding classes? Hell I have problems with HTML code not working D: ) and stop with the stupid conspiracy theories.

And you get a massive plus for writing this thread in a more..positive light. Which is what this subforum was made for according to the rules. heart

Enduring Gaian

13,875 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
I never cared about zOMG. I played it maybe a handful of times, but from a business standpoint, and heck even from a basic rational standpoint, you do not make promise after promise and reassure people a product will be back and then scrap it.

That's what has me angry atm.

King Noob

Yes there would have been a shitstorm if they told us right out front that they were closing it.

But now it is a worse shitstorm, with reason, because now they blatantly lied to us that the game would be given "maintenance" giving us false hope.

I didn't have much respect for gaia before, it's now at zero, and on top of that I think they are scum. You don't give people false hope and lie to them. That only makes it worse.

Tenacious Glitch

24,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Newbie Helper 100
Thank you for posting it. I'm somewhat upset with the community in that they are naive in thinking that the same thing won't happen with other features next too. Alchemy will be next to go and then probably guilds, fishing, and rallies. At some point there will be nothing left but a cash shop left on the site. I mean it's a shock that forums are even still around since it isn't profitable either and probably takes a ton of server space and expenses to run anyway. I'm very sad about zOMG! and won't be staying. zOMGaians have already been lied to enough, so this just added to the large mountain of lies told to the community. Mavdoc a former artist for the game I think expressed it the best. You know things are bad if one of the nicest Gaians on the site starts cussing. As an accountant, I don't see the site lasting longer than a year now. zOMG! may have been small, but it had a lot of cash spenders that liked to show off their avatar in the game. With them gone, the rest of the community will feel the effect of the further cash push, so good luck guys and enjoy the rocky ride. I already told my brother about the news and he was like, "Yeah I'm so glad I left when I did. Gaiaonline cannot survive if they keep removing features. But I'm sad that zOMG! is gone." I will be joining Dota 2 with him at least. I added some friends on Skype as well. zOMG! may be gone, but the community will find a home elsewhere and I hope that my friends and I can agree upon a new home.

Shy Lover

13,800 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Generous 100
Lady_Imrahil
Muyuu, thanks for your reasonable post. I understand the anger others have, but it made me uncomfortable to support rude threads.

I too had reservations about what it all meant (re: zOMG maintenance), though I did hope it would come back.

Losing this game is such a huge step back in time. Bizarre to see, as an old Gaian who saw it grow in the first place.

Yes, I agree. The rudess was a little over board. But I expected the situation to happen. Hopefully Gaia will learn to communicate better with their users considering they lacked a lot of it when ending Zomg.

Shy Conversationalist

10,100 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
The way you worded all of this is perfect. I have been here since '04 and seen the site go through a lot of changes, and I can say that I will miss zOMG. I understand that it may not have been possible to fix though, and I am not furious that it is gone, just sad that I will miss it. However, the communication was not handled well. And I think the worst part about it was that immediately following both of these zOMG announcements, there were several cash shop announcements. I used to love buying my monthly letters, but this is just way too much, and they didn't even give a moment for the dust of zOMG to settle.

Fashionable Explorer

User ImageUser Image

I knew it would not be coming back either and I am extremely sad that I was not able to explore all of the areas/maps in zOMG before they took it away...

Unholy Werewolf

17,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
From the moment I saw that the shop Gcash feature was closing was sign enough for me that something shady was underway.
I am quite disappointed as well how ZOMG! was handled. A game that was used quite frequently deserved a much better end than "Oh hey! We're taking this away for maintenance that we don't think we can do, but hey we're telling you that it is all gravy because we think it will be all right!"

Heck, Cartoon Network handled the closing of FusionFall way better and CN sucks when it comes to their games closing down.

Gracious Reveler

27,400 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
Muyuu
Lady_Imrahil

Yes, I agree. The rudess was a little over board. But I expected the situation to happen. Hopefully Gaia will learn to communicate better with their users considering they lacked a lot of it when ending Zomg.
Well they apologized now and explained, so that's good. Proves they DO read our posts here!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff