Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hello, Gaia.

It's me again. I had an unfortunate emergency so I didn't have time to keep up this time. However, I'm back and I am happy to let you know of my impressions of how you are conducting yourself after you answer your members' questions.

The over-all:
  • Good job on less spinning. I feel the answers were much more serious this time, at least a lot less placating. At least this time it didn't feel as forced as it has been in recent AtSes since they have returned. This is the kind of Q&A session I prefer instead of getting an insincere vibe from answers.

The best comparison would be like some person who works at a burger joint giving an obviously fake smile and speaking in a high-pitched, annoying voice on purpose as they take your order. Though, you get this sneaking suspicion that they want to spit in your food by the time you're done giving them your business because it's an inconvenience to offer their customers to "have it your way".

I can't stand that. I do appreciate how much better it was this time. It was much more professional and somewhat believable that you care about your members... up until I remember all the other answers that I've read in the past.

• There is a lot that is still being unanswered, especially since it's fairly obvious you can barely keep up with the issues the economy has itself. There are more and more individuals asking about the economy and pleading for you to fix it before they open up to you again.

This means a lot to your members, if you haven't guessed. This means putting aside the poofy, ridiculous language of having a "modern"broken economy aside and actually showing us why you are allowing it to stay broken.

Something tells me that you are doing it because it's an easy cash grab and less because it's actually profitable because you don't want to spend the time on nurturing it. The "easy way" versus "the right way": Where the easy will always win out. I'd prefer to know if it's a conscious decision based on awful marketing/monetization because you feel it's smarter to be cheap.

• Your lack of a schedule is also showing. We are still waiting for your phantom inventory arranger and outfit slots. zOMG should have been forecast out better, and this Towns vs. Towns2 thing is just annoying.

Regardless, I can't think of much else would be a priority over the last year then the Inventory Arranger and Outfit Slots If you want people to be more apt to buying more items to fill their inventory and use that Outfits Marketplace that lays forgotten. Your sales depend on items and we depend on you to use them. Your end of the bargain is not being fulfilled.

• Please ask people not to use their page-stretching, retina-scorching and/or awful post styles, please? I can't imagine that post styles are a good thing to use in AtS.

• Lastly, would you please make an information bank of stuff you will "consider" based on the singular feature it's being suggested for? It would be of use to you in the future when you go to make updates to let you know what your members want, and it would be nice to know what has been already suggested that you have seen.

To start your critique: your opening questions.
  1. Feature:
    How come you just can't have any consistency in your communication with users? If you don't know what zOMG! will be back up then it would be easier to say, "Sorry, guys! We have no idea when it will be back up because it's a big issue we are fixing!" That would be tons better than making your user wait. If you haven't noticed, we get pretty damn impatient when you say "soon" or some other patented word that is a professional way of saying, "I have no ******** clue."

2. Games:
    Thanks for the info on the Achievements. It won't benefit me, but others will be happy.

3. Items:
    You're not getting "patience" and "understanding" here. This whole thing of, "We reserve the right to do whatever," is grating. This is is why you can't be trusted and have lost a lot of brownie points.

Your idea of a "glitch" is fairly varied on its own, and if something is broken then it's broken. If something is sub-par then it's sub-par. You're making it and people are buying them, so why can't you fix it if it's not up to the standard your users expect? We've come to expect sub-par products and services from you. If your artists are doing this on their "free time" then you need to consider giving them time to fix the issues that exist.

Items should be in as close to perfect when something is brought to your attention. Most of these items are purchased with Gaia Cash or through some sort of RIG !!!that is ALSO bought with Gaia Cash!!! and if people are buying an item then they should not be risking the purchase of something that's broken that has a chance of remaining broken FOR YEARS.

All over again, your artists probably have too much on their plates, and if it is this much of a problem then you should beta test every one of your items to ensure that people are getting something that is worth the overpriced cash value. No amount of updating your reporting systems will change the fact that it's still going to fall to the same issues as it has in the past.

4. Items/Inventory
    You mean you can't be arsed to do the research yourself? You're just as awful at doing actual marketing research.

And, no, just because people buy them doesn't mean it's a good idea to sell. Drug dealers also work on this same philosophy.

Questions from throughout the thread:
    link

I really wish you wouldn't say things like this. If you're not going to do it and push updates before 2015 then there is no reason to get your members' hopes up for improvements and updates. You just keep letting us down.

link

You're kidding, right? That sounds more like a lack of creativity if you can't get two white shirts to look vastly different.

Pockets, seams, embroidery, cut, longer tails, knee-legnth, middrift-cut, tucked in, rolled up, layered, 3/4s-length sleeves, cap sleeves, off-the-shoulder sleeves, puffy sleeves, bell-style sleeves, transparency of fabric, texture of fabric, different necklines, wider lapels, buttoning in different directions, dual-tone, tie-die... And then combinations of any of those, and more. That's how fashion designers do it in the real world so I have no idea why you can't be as "innovative" as them with two white shirts.

You're okay with making a black-brown that is only a few shades from black and releasing that as a separate item, so why is this a problem?

Arm mods and leg mods can be great, but there are so many flaws- including the tiny-foot syndrome, gangly arms that disproportionate to the base, broken ankle/knee angles, and layering problems that you won't fix- that come along with base-modifying items. I really don't know how these can be better. "Innovation" is not the best word to describe what you're doing with these.

hinthint: The torso doesn't move so pairing leg and arm mods with a stationary middle makes the avatars look awkward and bent. Arm and Leg mods are rarely done with the appropriate 3/4s view that the avatar originally possesses. They are usually done with a straight-on view that is absolutely weird.

You're basically cutting yourself off at the knee and disregarding the potential that similar items can have. Not everyone is going to like that one white shirt that you seem to be afraid of "duplicating".

link

Why is this a thing? Stop making stuff and leaving it to sit. You're wasting so much time and money on this on behalf of paying people to work on them and your users who buy your products to fund this stuff.

Step it up a few notches. This is an awful way to conduct your features.

link

This is a terrible way to go about producing items. The way the Humanoid->Animal->Humanoid->Animal progression of items are handled has been horrible from the start. The fact you have to re-buy everything is dumb, and the fact that all items are not obtainable for both bases shows how much effort is really being put into what your members want.

We buy the stuff. Obviously that means that you should be making more items that we want to fulfill your members since we buy the stuff. If this is the way all of your stuff is handled then it just goes to show how much attention is actually being paid to what your members want out of your items (i.e., sub-par layering).

link

Just reserve "animal" for animal items, like the I Am ones, then AnimalHuman and then AnimalPaws for the different base equipables.

It's not that elaborate of a change that can't be implemented without feedback. It just needs to be done because it's one of the many downfalls of using an Animal Avatar that you never bothered to take into account when the feature was pushed.

hinthint: The harder you make something to use the less people want to use it, and the more likely you have successfully wasted your assets on making something that people will not want to use. It's not that difficult of a concept.

link

That's weird. If they have a brown name that says "Artist" it means they are an artist. That's not very private already.

link

This is pretty comforting. I probably won't be affected because I don't give a damn about items, but knowing that people are in good hands is a good thing.

link

How about using your kickstartsGold Traps to offer updated poses to add to these "classic" items? I don't think something like that would ruin them being whored out constantly.

link

This made me pause a bit. Recolors of items should not be considered singular items. 50 items are not all that many when they tend to be recolored duplicates, usually 5 or 6-ish each, which isn't that many colors of one item. We all know that recolors are not as hard to do as a new single-pose item, so how this is being handled is up for debate on if it's a good plan of action or not.

link

Releasing more or releasing new? There are ton of them that I wouldn't mind having as companions.

link

That was actually genuinely amusing, haha.

link

Does this mean that it's on the table to be updated or...???

link

...this sounds awful, but to each their own. They do not even have proper paws for being Paws.

link

Yes, please remove Animal items from the current shops and give them their own. I won't use Animal stuff, and if they are supposed to be that important to you, Gaia, then give them their own places to go. If they are good enough for their own bias forum then they should be good enough to give their own Shops to.

These are things that I believe deserve an answer or need to be addressed:

Perfect Saint

I was happy they will be looking into the issue I posted. I'm just waiting for my ticket to be addressed positively.

Shirtless Fairy

I have a tissue
link

You're kidding, right? That sounds more like a lack of creativity if you can't get two white shirts to look vastly different.

Pockets, seams, embroidery, cut, longer tails, knee-legnth, middrift-cut, tucked in, rolled up, layered, 3/4s-length sleeves, cap sleeves, off-the-shoulder sleeves, puffy sleeves, bell-style sleeves, transparency of fabric, texture of fabric, different necklines, wider lapels, buttoning in different directions, dual-tone, tie-die... And then combinations of any of those, and more. That's how fashion designers do it in the real world so I have no idea why you can't be as "innovative" as them with two white shirts.

You're okay with making a black-brown that is only a few shades from black and releasing that as a separate item, so why is this a problem?

Arm mods and leg mods can be great, but there are so many flaws- including the tiny-foot syndrome, gangly arms that disproportionate to the base, broken ankle/knee angles, and layering problems that you won't fix- that come along with base-modifying items. I really don't know how these can be better. "Innovation" is not the best word to describe what you're doing with these.

hinthint: The torso doesn't move so pairing leg and arm mods with a stationary middle makes the avatars look awkward and bent. Arm and Leg mods are rarely done with the appropriate 3/4s view that the avatar originally possesses. They are usually done with a straight-on view that is absolutely weird.

You're basically cutting yourself off at the knee and disregarding the potential that similar items can have. Not everyone is going to like that one white shirt that you seem to be afraid of "duplicating".

Not to mentioned other so-called "innovative" leg and arm mods all tend to look exactly the ******** same in pose alone.

EDIT: Where did the rest of my post go? D: Oh, well.
Basically, AtS was okay, but there was still too much that made me roll my eyes into the sun.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
I have to agree on the part about arm and leg mods. I have items that have both, but I don't use the leg-mods on Electric McFly because they look so awkward. I'd love to be able to, but again, it's so awkward when you don't have the ability to alter the torso position.

It would also be easier if they just made some of the current items for the human bases available for the paws bases without having to buy the stuff over again. I'm still upset that I had to pick between a human item or a Paws item from the Hallow-chu thing when in reality I'd have loved to have both. They're making the Paws and human bases be an either-or thing at this point with those who prefer Paws bases getting the short-end of the stick. Not to mention the Paws hairstyles available are ugly as hell and don't seem to layer right.

I'd love to see a gold shop just for Paws. Maybe Rufus could run it.

Moonlight Sweetheart

52,925 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Coloring Champion 0
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50
I was waiting for you to make this. lol

I'm shocked and appalled that nothing concerning the Halloween event came up.

I know Gaia doesn't have any obligation to tell us things we want to know, and that telling us dates is a bad idea because they'll always let us down for no reason or another, but at least tell us that someone is working on it. Something is getting done about it. Even if it's not going to be done this year. Or at least give us a list of all the items the devs are working on so that we know they're not just sitting around twiddling their thumbs. (I know you're not, but when you don't communicate with us, what are we to assume you're doing?)

Mystical Creature

(posting style removed for your continued sanity)

Off-topic: Sorry to hear about the emergency- hope everything is okay! (Or at least getting there.)

On-topic: Aw, I’m in a second tissue thread. I feel all famous. xD

But, no, in all seriousness… you bring up some good suggestions. I, for one, wouldn’t mind funding a kickstarter if it meant we could change up some of the layering on the site. I’d hop on that bandwagon without a second thought. Would it be a lot of work for the devs? Yeah. Maybe too much. But would I also really like a more “modern” layering style for some of the older items? Or, better, a way to choose how things layer? Very much so. I think it’s an interesting idea. Don’t know how likely, but interesting nonetheless.

I’d also like to know when some of the abandoned shops are going to be updated. Loyal’s, Dernier Cri… these were supposed to be our exclusive, high end and recolor shops and yet we don’t often see updates. I can’t even remember the last time Dernier Cri got any items and I haven’t missed more than a day or two on this site in an embarrassing amount of time. Though I have to admit, I’m borderline scared of any update with the promised price changes. (I say that freely, having already purchased every item I want from most every gold shop.) And like you said and many others asked: when does that price change come into effect? Will you warn us or are we just going to go shop one day and see that most prices have been raised x1000?

Hint: please give us at least a few days warning in both staff notices and announcements before changing prices. It would be appreciated.

Overall, though, I’d agree… they did a little better this time around. Not perfect, no, but at least some of the answers were a little longer and more complex than emoticons. Those bother me. Even if my question didn’t get answered, it was obvious they were trying. Besides, I can always post my lengthy, bothersome question next week and again imagine them all frantically staring at each other and screaming “How the hell do we answer this?!?!? Is burning_eyes or sweatdrop a valid answer?” It’s entertaining for me, if nothing else.
Teabo Milk Tea
I think you may have misread one of the staff answers. Regarding your comment to what an artist said:

Quote:

That's weird. If they have a brown name that says "Artist" it means they are an artist. That's not very private already.

The quote you were responding to never said that artists want to keep their artist title private. Finni instead said that some artists want to keep which item they created anonymous. Some of the artists don't even have journals, and many of the artists don't even list which items they've made on their journals anymore for the sake of keeping the identity of the artist beyond the item(s) anonymous.

So I think you misread what she wrote. sweatdrop

No, I didn't misread. I know exactly what was said and I disagree with the reasoning.

We already know they are artists so why can't we know who made what so we know who to avoid or praise? That would help cull the ones that shouldn't be artists, like those who make the sub-par recolors, unless Gaia has something to hide.
Exaggerated Rebellion
I have a tissue
link

Not to mentioned other so-called "innovative" leg and arm mods all tend to look exactly the ******** same in pose alone.

EDIT: Where did the rest of my post go? D: Oh, well.
Basically, AtS was okay, but there was still too much that made me roll my eyes into the sun.

If eye-rolling was an Olympic sport I would have won the Gold by now. I do give them kudos for being a bit more straight forward- totally, seriously, I give them props for this.

Though, this doesn't mean that what they are doing is good. Some of the stuff the Artist in there was saying also makes me believe that the Art team(s?) are also horribly mismanaged, and Marketing isn't helping them to find the items that would be worth making and selling.

Basically, the over-all impression that I get is that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, which means that this company doesn't work well as one complete unit.

All businesses should fall back on the concept of people do not know what they want until it's presented, but that is also proceeded by actual marketing research so they can find that glorious balance.

By saying, "You might find other items that you love!" (really???) that tells me that the artists are doing their own thing and just handing it to Marketing to decide if it's worth shoving into the Cash Shop.

Demonic Hunter

I feel like they know they've lost touch with the community and are just using a few straight forward answers to try and butter up the community. I don't mean to be pessimistic but I just can't trust Gaia when every month if not every week they mess up in some big way. :/
Teabo Milk Tea
I have a tissue
Teabo Milk Tea
I think you may have misread one of the staff answers. Regarding your comment to what an artist said:

Quote:

The quote you were responding to never said that artists want to keep their artist title private. Finni instead said that some artists want to keep which item they created anonymous. Some of the artists don't even have journals, and many of the artists don't even list which items they've made on their journals anymore for the sake of keeping the identity of the artist beyond the item(s) anonymous.

So I think you misread what she wrote. sweatdrop

No, I didn't misread. I know exactly what was said and I disagree with the reasoning.

We already know they are artists so why can't we know who made what so we know who to avoid or praise? That would help cull the ones that shouldn't be artists, like those who make the sub-par recolors, unless Gaia has something to hide.

Regarding the bolded--what if a subpar item is made by an artist who is usually known for making great items? I know some of my favorite artists who have been working for Gaia since before 2008 have occasionally created items that were a definitely miss in terms of quality before, and that's not reflective of their actual skill level. Of course, subpar items could also be the result of being overworked or a lack of efficient time management, one of which the management needs to work on and the other is something the artist(s) themselves need to work on.

That's kind of their own private hell- they chose to work for a website where thousands of people see their work daily. If they were that private then they should have found a different type of work.

They are already putting their work public so taking the good and the bad comes with the territory.

Divine Muse

This is one of the reasons Rejam, the gaia artist has my respect.

She made her own thread and owns up to her items. If I like them I go to that thread and tell her.
If I didn't like it, I ignore the thread and leave it alone.

Rejam doesn't hide from everything and she isn't scared of her own shadow. Because of this I tend to talk about her alot. (Because there is not much plot to spend time on, the only thing Gaia has really are items.)
Jayce Reinhardt

She made her own thread and owns up to her items. If I like them I go to that thread and tell her.

Rejam doesn't hide from everything and she isn't scared of her own shadow. Because of this I tend to talk about her alot. (Because there is not much plot to spend time on, the only thing Gaia has really are items.)

That's something I can't understand about Gaia artists' "privacy". If they are not thick-skinned enough to take the critical opinion that their items will garner then I have to wonder why they are working for a site where this is a constant thing.

I can't imagine that they don't look for praise when their stuff is released, so why do they need to hide from the negative feedback? That doesn't make sense to me at all.

...though, it's on par for Gaia as a company as a whole, so I am not shocked that there is a blanket statement made about "privacy".

...unless they are hiding something, like using some pixel sweatshop in Haiti or Bangladesh where recolors are a dime a dozen. I wouldn't put something like this passed Gaia, now.

Divine Muse

I have a tissue
Jayce Reinhardt

That's something I can't understand about Gaia artists' "privacy". If they are not thick-skinned enough to take the critical opinion that their items will garner then I have to wonder why they are working for a site where this is a constant thing.

I can't imagine that they don't look for praise when their stuff is released, so why do they need to hide from the negative feedback? That doesn't make sense to me at all.

...though, it's on par for Gaia as a company as a whole, so I am not shocked that there is a blanket statement made about "privacy".

...unless they are hiding something, like using some pixel sweatshop in Haiti or Bangladesh where recolors are a dime a dozen. I wouldn't put something like this passed Gaia, now.

Some artists give me the impression that if you aren't kissing their a**, your a troll or a jerk or a troublemaker.

But when things like hat pose after hat pose comes out like this. .
User Image
This item JUST came out. . .

You would think after making so many hat poses over the years, we wouldn't get obvious gaps or random hair floating around.

And I am still irked that one artist had the GALL to tell me to my face "This is the best I can do" after I asked her to fix a different hat pose. Why the hell should I buy something with real money with such a lax kind of attitude like that?

At least take the job you have seriously, most places don't let the artists have the luxury of doing whatever the hell they want. . . .

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff