Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Elocutionist

User Image
User Image

"Beauxbatons? It'd be cool to visit the other schools someday. Durmstrang too, maybe the American schools even. See how they differ and all that." Cai noted as Ella mentioned the school. Hogwarts was said to have a lot of secrets, so the other schools had to have them as well. Would it be possible to get a career that would enable him to visit all the schools? It was doubtful, but he could dream.

He listened politely as the others mentioned the subjects they were most interested in taking. Ella, surprisingly if someone where to judge based off of her last name, was interested in Defense Against the Dark Arts. From the rumors and stories about the Malfoys, they preferred just Dark Arts. But Cai dismissed these as stupid; just because someone had a certain name did not mean it defined them. Not all Clarksons loved very fast cars, not every Albus was a teacher. It was hard to convince people of that though. Cai's mom worked hard to instill that particular lesson in him though.

It was not surprising that she wanted to play Quidditch. Likely every single first year dreamed of playing on the house teams. The idea of playing on the team appealed less to Cai though; it all seemed to always come down to the seeker anyways, save for rare instances like the world cup years back. Not that he'd ever say that to anyone. Quickest way to get ostracized was to not like the popular sport. It was hard to not be a football fan back in the states, for example. He thought this over as he stood up and retrieved the sickle from the luggage rack. It had been planted earlier, the one he had been tossing was once again hidden under his watch. Slight of hand. They might not appreciate it, but it made him smile.

It was then that Sevix broke his silence and spoke up, mentioning transfiguration as something he'd be interested in. He played with his wrist for a moment before mentioned he had been told his mother could make powerful charms. Was his mother dead? Cai knew better than to ask that, but it was a question that gnawed at him.
"All of the classes should definitely be a lot of fun, no denying that." he agreed.

"Impressive to know that ahead of time." Cai said with a kind smile; it would seem they were confident of their house selection. Perhaps they secretly hoped, perhaps they knew themselves that well? As far Cai knew, the hat picked for you. He had no clue where he would go, but was sure he'd be happy regardless of where he went. "I'm sure all of the houses are great. My father was in Ravenclaw so he's hoping for there... I wouldn't mind any. Regardless it says you are either clever, brave, intelligent, or kind. Not a bad choice in the bunch." he noted with a smile. As he spoke, he pocketed one of the sickles and resumed playing with the other one.

While the coin was being tossed from one hand to another, it vanished in the thin air, making Cai pause; it wasn't his doing.
"That wasn't me... oh." he looked up and saw some older Gryffindor kids standing outside their carriage, laughing and holding the coin. Cai stood up and went to the door, opening it with a smile. "Neat trick. Can I have my coin back please?" he asked politely, holding out his hand. The boys went to drop the coin, but it vanished as soon as it hit his hand.

"I guess you're just that good at muggle magic. You sure you're going to the right school?" one of the boys asked.

"Yes, I am sure, but thank you." Cai said, seemingly oblivious to the fact that he was being messed with. "I do think your magic was good, but I would like my coin back." he said again, hand still outstretched.

"You made it disappear, why ask us?" they asked, laughing and walking away. Cai stepped after one of them and brushed his hand by them, asking for the coin back. They just laughed and pushed him back.

Cai stood there for several seconds, blinking slowly as he stared after them. Still silent, he stepped back in and shut the door to the carriage.
"Well, they weren't nice. I don't feel bad now." he said as he sat down. "I dropped stink pellets on their robes." he explained. Soon enough, the group of older boys would start to smell a horrible stench, and then everyone around them would as well. It was worth the cost of a sickle, that much was sure.

Friendly Elocutionist

User Image

User Image

Amelia and the others waited on bated breaths as Loki ate, hoping he'd respond. Sure enough, he opened his mouth to respond to her accent, only to stop suddenly as he heard himself. The carriage erupted into laughter and Loki looked extremely wrongfooted. He opened his mouth and tried to question what was going on. The thick accent reminded Amelia of southern American, laid on rather thick. Sure, the accents could have been a lot more subtle, but that was not the point of a joke product. Any accent they were going to get was going to be over the top for sure.

He figured it out rather quickly, not surprising as he was quite intelligent. She flashed a smile at him, sweet and loving for a moment, before realizing what she was doing and changing it to a friendly smile. He then commented that he'd get his revenge on the pitch.
"Like, that's fair. It's totally going to be a good match, should definitely be a lot of... oh hey, it wore off, sort of." she said, trailing off as the accent wore away. It wasn't entirely gone, but now she was talking with a mixture of American and British accents. Soon enough she'd be right back to her normal voice.

"It should be a good season, all the teams are shaping up. Even Slytherin is fielding a good team." she noted. There were some scoffs of disbelief from her team, and she shook her head lightly. "Matloc's father paid for the team to attend the Puddlemore United training camp this summer." she explained; the disbelief dropped a bit. "Might have more then just us beating you this year." She added to Loki, before offering him another candy, this time a pumpkin-pasty. "I promise this one is safe, why don't we eat and you can use that... charming... accent to discuss a strategy for splitting the quidditch pitch so we can all use it fairly. We don't need a repeat of one house getting it every night." she added with a smile as she held out the pasty and stood up. This smile had the same sweetness as her earlier one, but she didn't catch it this time around.

Her and Loki had discussed it and agreed to keep their relationship a secret, as much as possible anyways. They didn't want their teams to question them, and so agreed it was the best. Still, after a summer of spending time together, enjoying picnics and having a lot of fun... now they had to be more distant. It hurt a bit, but they knew it was likely for the best. They hoped. By offering to go discuss sharing the pitch, it would buy them some time without being too obvious. When he accepted, she told her friends she would be back and stepped outside into the empty carriage hallway.

Once the door was closed, she smiled and started walking with him down the hallway.
"Sorry about that... it is quite the adorable accent though." she noted, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek; she didn't dare risk more on the train. "How was the prefects meeting?" she asked him. "And are we still okay for meeting tonight at the library after you show the first years to the common room?"

Tegian's Wife

Demonic Wolf

11,325 Points
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
User Image
User Image

When she mentioned Beauxbatons, Cai said, "Beauxbatons? It'd be cool to visit the other schools someday. Durmstrang too, maybe the American schools even. See how they differ and all that." The school was French and quite prestigious, one of the few wizarding schools Europe, and her mother had been at the top of her class. There were rumors that there was Veela in her bloodline somewhere, which would make sense considering the fair hair and delicate features (not to mention whiplash, deadly temper) that came from her mother's side of the family. "Beauxbatons is based out of France and they are one of the three schools in the region that participate in the Triwizard Tournament when it is held; my mother participated back when she was in school. They're very top-notch." The students from Beauxbatons often came across as snooty or vain but, the fact was, they accepted only the best students and the French were all very talented and of 'high quality'. Durmstrang, likewise, did the same. Sometimes it seemed that Hogwarts would accept anything that walked through their doors, so long as whoever it was was within their range. Of course, great witches and wizards had been produced from the school, despite what anyone might say, and even those from a house such as Hufflepuff went places. Sevix finally spoke up when asked about classes, saying, "I am really looking forward to Transfiguration." He touched a bracelet on his wrist, one that was mostly hidden by the hem of his sleeve, but his hand quickly left off fidgeting with it, as though he didn't want to draw attention to it; Ella made a mental note to ask him about it later. "I have been told my mother could make incredibly powerful charms, so I am looking forward to that as well," he added, kind of as an after-thought. It could certainly be said that all of the classes would be interesting, and some would be more interesting than others because of the people teaching them. There were rumors quite a lot of rumors surrounding some of the teachers, such as Professor Slughorn, who was rumored to have given Tom Riddle the information necessary to split his soul into several Horcruxes and is the reason that the former headboy even attempted to do so.

Just rumors, of course. The Horcrux thing had come out not long after the Dark Lord's demise, however, so that much at least was true. She wondered if the potions master still had the 'Slug Club' and attempted to 'collect' the students he was interested in. Cai agreed with Sevix, saying, "All of the classes should definitely be a lot of fun, no denying that." Ella wondered, in an off-hand kind of way, if there was a dueling club... Way back when, there had been 'Dumbledore's Army' and then the war had happened and the Battle of Hogwarts... Now that the war was over, they might not want to teach dueling. It would be interesting if all they did in Defense Against the Dark Arts was just reading out of a book... Ella blinked, coming out of her thoughts as Sevix asked Cai, Of course she, as a Malfoy, would be placed into Slytherin. Every Malfoy since the beginning, as well as their ancestors, had come from Slytherin house unless they'd come from a different school, like her mother. It was hard to say, however, if that was where Sevix would go too; she didn't know him well enough to disagree with his own assumption and his family heritage was a mystery as well... So maybe he was right and would end up in Slytherin but it was just as likely that he'd end up somewhere else. The blond stood and retrieved the sickle on the luggage rack above them. "Impressive to know that ahead of time," Cai replied with a smile. "I'm sure all of the houses are great. My father was in Ravenclaw so he's hoping for there... I wouldn't mind any. Regardless it says you are either clever, brave, intelligent, or kind. Not a bad choice in the bunch." He'd pocketed one of his sickles and begun playing with the other again. "My family has been in Slytherin for generations; to be placed in any house except for that would be a disgrace to my family name," said Ella. And her family didn't really need anything else to disgrace it... Not after what happened with the Battle of Hogwarts and everything that happened with the Dark Lord. Her thoughts were turned from this rather gloomy fact to Cai when the coin he'd been playing with vanished in thin air and he said, "That wasn't me... oh."

She followed his gaze and found a group of older Gryffindor students standing outside their carriage, one of them holding the coin between their fingers and all of them laughing. Cai stood up and went to the door, opening it to say, "Neat trick. Can I have my coin back please?" Ella couldn't help but roll her eyes at the sight of the older Gryffindors, who were behaving as arrogant pranksters. She hated Gryffindor house. It was full of arrogant people but everyone thought that they were a fantastic house and that they could do no wrong; they were just as likely to turn out bad eggs as Slytherin was but no one ever saw it that way. The boys dropped the coin but it vanished as soon as it hit Cai's hand and her scowl deepened; her hand wrapped around her wand, which was hidden in her pocket. She knew a few hexes that she was sure would surprise even these arrogant lions, no matter what year they were. "I guess you're just that good at muggle magic. You sure you're going to the right school?" asked one of the boys. "Yes, I am sure, but thank you," replied Cai. "I do think your magic was good, but I would like my coin back." He seemed completely oblivious to the fact that the older students were messing with him, even as he stood there with his hand outstretched, waiting for the coin to be dropped into his hand. "You made it disappear, why ask us?" they asked, before laughing and walking away. The blond stepped after one of them and brushed his hand past them, asking for the coin back once more; they only laughed and continued walking. Ella was half-way on to standing when Cai returned to the carriage, closing the door and saying, "Well, they weren't nice. I don't feel bad now. I dropped stink pellets on their robes," he explained as he sat. "Let me help you out with those bullies." She stood, pulling out her wand as she opened the door, pointing down the corridor at the Gryffindor's retreating backs and whispering, "Accio sickle." The silver coin ripped itself from the offending Gryffindor and zipped into her waiting hand. When the coin had left the thief, they'd all turned in astonishment to see where it had gone and she waved at them, holding it up between her fingers before closing the carriage door. Cai and Sevix were staring at her.

Ella shrugged, "I've studied my parents old books for weeks; it's not a terribly difficult spell to learn and there are quite a few others that I've memorized that I'd like to try out, which I might, if those Gryffindors return." She handed the sickle back to Cai, wondering if those older students would come back; the train was one of the few places that a person could use magic and not get into trouble with the ministry... And while that was the first time she'd done magic, it had turned out very well and that was promising. She wanted to try another spell out... Perhaps something a little... More dangerous.

Tegian's Wife

Demonic Wolf

11,325 Points
User Image
User Image
Once he realized what was going on, the others laughed and Amelia flashed him a smile that was sweet and loving for a moment, before seeming to realize what she was doing and quickly rearranging it into a friendly smile. Loki almost burst into full-out laughter as Amelia said, "Like, that's fair. It's totally going to be a good match, should definitely be a lot of... oh hey, it wore off, sort of." The accent kind of trailed away towards the end, leaving her speaking in a mix of American and British, but he couldn't deny that it was really adorable coming from her; too bad he couldn't say as much without revealing their relationship to her entire team. They'd agreed that it would be best to keep their relationship a secret from their teams, to prevent problems from arising within the hierarchy of the team, but after a summer of spending time together, enjoying picnics and going for flights together on their brooms and just generally having fun... They had to act a bit more distant and he already didn't like it. It was for the best, he hoped, but that didn't mean he had to like it. "It should be a good season, all the teams are shaping up. Even Slytherin is fielding a good team," said Amelia. Her team scoffed, as though it was a crazy idea that Slytherin was putting together a good team - even though they'd been the champions for years, prior to Harry Potter arriving at Hogwarts - and Loki shook his head, resisting the urge to tell them that they shouldn't under-estimate anyone; they weren't his team, it wasn't his job. Sure enough, Amelia shook her head and informed them, "Matloc's father paid for the team to attend the Puddlemore United training camp this summer." He could see their disbelief drop a bit. "Might have more then just us beating you this year," she told to Loki, offering him a pumpkin-pasty, which he took, as she continued, "I promise this one is safe, why don't we eat and you can use that... charming... accent to discuss a strategy for splitting the quidditch pitch so we can all use it fairly. We don't need a repeat of one house getting it every night." That had been a disaster and left the remaining teams struggling to have practice late at night or early morning, before classes, which hadn't gone well. She smiled at him, the smile holding the same sweetness as the earlier one.

Loki knew what she was doing, even if her team only thought they were being responsible team captains and he appreciated it; by offering to go discuss how to share the pitch this year, it would buy them a little time together without being completely obvious about what they were doing. "It'd be mah pleasure, 'lil lady," replied Loki; the accent hadn't worn off quite yet but he figured it would within the next few minutes. She told her friends that she'd be back in a few and stepped out into the empty hallway of the train and Loki followed, closing the carriage door behind him. As they began to walk, Amelia smiled and said, "Sorry about that... it is quite the adorable accent though." She gave him a quick kiss on the cheek and he smiled, "Glad 'ya think so, darlin'; quite a shocker tah find 'mahself speakin' like an American." It was one of the more harmless tricks that a student could do to another and he didn't really mind that much. It was Amelia after all. "How was the prefects meeting?" she asked as they went along, "And are we still okay for meeting tonight at the library after you show the first years to the common room?" Loki sighed, "T'was fine, I suppose; there's a lotta contraband us prefects 'hafta keep an eye out fer this year-" It got worse every year, thanks to new merchandise from Weasley Wizard Wheezes and since the wizarding world was still trying to recover from the Battle of Hogwarts, everyone could use more laughs. At least, that's how Loki saw it; he was pretty sure how they stayed in business in the time before the battle as well. "I think th' Slytherins are gonna... Oh, it's gone." He cleared his throat and continued, "I think the Slytherin's are still going to cause problems this year; their prefects still won't talk or cooperate with the rest of us, no matter what we do or say. And I'm pretty sure they still hate me for... 'accidentally' knocking Matloc off his broom at the last game, when he tried to ram me." The games, depending on who was playing, could sometimes get brutal. They were standing between two carriages, out of sight of both, and the corridor was empty. Loki wrapped his arm around Amelia's waist and pulled her close, planting a kiss on her lips. "Just in case I don't get to give you one later," he winked, releasing her. As they continued walking, he said, "I think we need to keep an eye on Slytherin too; they've been known to sink to using hexes and jinxes when they get on a losing streak and we're prime targets since we're Captains."

ooc: sorry for shite post

Dapper Shapeshifter

12,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
User ImageUser Image

Sevix nodded slowly at Cai’s reply to his question. Seems not everyone put much thought into where they wished to end up in regards to their house at Hogwarts. Well, that meant there was the chance of all three of them being in the same house. That’d be nice, considering he was already thinking of Cai as a friend, despite the short amount of time he’s known the other boy. Just have to make sure they never learn who I am. He stifled a sigh; that was going to be hard work. They were bound to find out his parentage at some point, but hopefully it wouldn’t matter after they realized he was not his father.

Sevix smiled lightly at Ella’s proclamation of her family’s Slytherin background. She knew beyond doubt she would end up in Slytherin, and he was sure that if the sorting hat were to even try to put her somewhere else the poor thing would likely leave the hall with a singed brim. His smile grew somewhat from the thought, and he was pulled from his reverie when a group of older Gryffindor students who stood in the doorway with bullish grins on their faces. Sevix didn’t realize what was occurring until Cai stood up and requested his coin be returned.

The Gryffindor’s laughed, refusing to return the coin despite how polite Cai was in his request. A dark look came to Sevix’ face, and he was about to stand up and… do something he was likely to regret… but before he had the chance to even more the cat from his lap, Cai closed the door. The cat, which had stood up and puffed it’s back and tail fur, sat down and returned to it’s peaceful purring as soon as the door was closed. Sevix stroked it’s fur down while he spoke, ”What is a stink pellet?” He inquired as Ella got to her feet and went to the door. Sevix watched her after Cai replied, curious as to what she would do to the boys, but all she did was call the sickle to her before closing the door once more. Both he and Cai were staring at her, likely for different reasons though. He had been expecting her to hex or even curse them… but no.. she was not one of the Malfoy’s he knew before. She wouldn’t do that over a stolen sickle.

”Well, if I do not end up in Slytherin, I certainly hope I do not end up in Gryffindor.” Sevix commented once the minor ordeal was over and done with. He was well aware not all Gryffindor’s were bullies like that group had been.. but as it was once the home house of the oh-so-famous Harry Potter.. he didn’t see himself being welcomed by even the nicest of the students in Gryffindor.

~~~~

The rest of the train ride went by without a hitch. Sevix slowly opened up to the other two more and more through the long ride to Hogwarts, especially after they all got some of the candy that was sold during the ride. Eventually, the train finally arrived at Hogsmead, and with increasing excitement, the train quickly emptied of all it's passengers.

Sevix' heart raced with excitement as all the first years gathered around the half-giant Hagrid, getting ready to be taken via boat to the castle. "He is smaller than I was expecting." Sevix whispered to the other two as he clutched his cat close to his chest. "Usually they are a bit bigger than that, are they not?... half-giants I mean." He spoke through experience. He'd met giant's before, but only ever one other half-giant.. and while Hagrid was by no means a small man, the other half-giant Sevix had met was quite a bit larger.

Friendly Elocutionist

User Image
User Image

Cai didn't mind too much about his sickle being stolen, as the stink pellets, in his mind, evened things out quite nicely. The bullies would reek quite badly very soon, and it would take them a lot of washing to smell good again, unless they were clever. Considering they were older, but still picked on and stole from the younger students, chances were that they were not going to be smart enough to stop smelling without a lot of soap and water. Should be a fun first day back for them.

It did not seem even to Ella though, as she got up while Sevix asked what a stink pellet was. Cai pulled out a greenish marble from his pocket to show Sevix.
"This is. You break it on someone or something, and in about five minutes, it begins to smell like an open sewer. Best thing to get rid of the smell is pumpkin juice." he explained, carefully putting the pellet back. It took a little bit of skill not to get it on his hands, but he'd managed not to.

As he explained, Ella whisked back his sickle using her wand and a summoning charm; impressive considering it was typically taught after the first year. He must have been staring, as she spoke up and explained how it was not that difficult. Crap. Had everyone else here been practicing? He certainly had not, his parents would not let him. Was it now his fate to be bottom of the class to start the year?

Well, nothing he could do if it was, so he might as well relax and enjoy himself.

He smiled and thanked Ella as she returned the sickle, getting up to glance at the corridor; it seemed the older students were leaving. With them gone, he returned to his seat. They talked for several hours, with Sevix opening up a bit. They bought some candy from the cart and enjoyed it, though they did hear rumors of tainted candy being passed. Sure enough, they were offered candy by random passersby several times, and they intelligently denied it every time.

In what seemed like no time, they had arrived at the station, and were directed to a large bearded man who called out for the first years. It was a relatively calm night, if not just a tad chilly. As Cai studied Hagrid with a small smile, Sevix mentioned he thought the man would be bigger. Really? He was impressively big- oh, the man was a half giant. That was pretty neat.

"I wouldn't know, but he does seem friendly. Shall we get a boat together?" Cai asked, looking at his new friends and smiling; Sevix's cat seemed quite well behaved, and Cai liked the little guy already. He didn't have a pet of his own, but his parents hinted at buying him one if he kept good grades up this year. A pet would be really nice, though he wasn't sure what he would prefer. There really wasn't an animal he didn't like, so it didn't matter too much. Dogs were nice, but likely not allowed at Hogwarts.

Soon enough, Hagrid ushered them on to boats... boats with no oars. The trio got into a boat with a couple of other firs years, and the boats began to move silently across the water. Cai was one of the ones leaning over the side, looking down into the water with a smile on his face. To his left, another first year, a boy whom he had not met yet, was also leaning over.

"Oh cool, is that the giant squi-iiiii" the kid began, leaning far over the side and falling in. Some of the kids laughed, and Hagrid began to maneuver his boat close, but was still far away. The kid who fell in sputtered, unable to keep up.

Cai jumped in without a second thought. He reached the kid and began helping him back to the boats. Several hands inside the boat grabbed the kid and helped pull him in. By the time the kid was back in, Hagrid had arrived, and pulled Cai out of the water with barely any effort.

"Alrigh', alrigh', that's enough excitement fir today. Stay in yer boats till we land. Yeh alrigh?" he announced before asking Cai and the kid if they were good. Both were wet, but seemed fine. Cai looked as if he had simply gone for a swim, and he nodded at the half giant.

Friendly Elocutionist

User Image

User Image

Amelia savored the walk they were taking, enjoying spending time with him. At this rate, the secret would not last forever, because they would not be able to stand it that long. However, after the first match against each other, if they showed good restraint... maybe then they could be public. She actually did not mind the accent, it sounded quite cute coming from him. Maybe it was just his voice in general, it was hard to tell and she didn't care either way.

Talk of contraband made Amelia chuckle a bit; the prefects fought a losing battle for sure, as the accent chocolates attested to. The harmless contraband and jokes were fine, it was when things like fanged frisbees hit people in the head that problems arrived. Or when stink pellets... good lord, those smelled bad. The thought had been brought up when they passed some older Gryffindors who reeked to High Heaven. They were mumbling to themselves but otherwise passed by the duo, making both raise an eyebrow but shake it off. A quick wave of her wand and the air around them smell crisp and clean, with a hint of cinnamon. They fresh air spell usually didn't produce that last bit, but Amelia liked the smell and worked with Flitwick after class one day to learn how.

Loki's accent vanished, and he mentioned Slytherin being a problem this year. The year after it happened, Slytherin had been subdued. Now it seemed they were reverting to form, or at least some were. It was too bad. Matloc, the Slytherin captain, had been polite but aloof in their first year playing each other; now his viciousness was coming to light. Only so long one could hide stink she supposed.

It was then that Loki pulled her close and kissed her, leaving her breathless as he said it was just in case. She smiled and stared back at him as he released her, biting her lip for a moment before they started walking again.

“I'm sure even Slytherins will think twice before hexing little ol' me.” she said, grinning impishly. Despite being Hufflepuff, which generally was looked down as a 'soft' house, her team had proven themselves to be quite formidable. Hufflepuff was defined by kindness and loyalty, but that same loyalty could turn fierce in an instant. After all, what was that Muggle saying? Demons run when a good man goes to war.

They continued to talk for fifteen minutes before agreeing to meet up once again. When Amelia returned to her friends, it seemed as if they did not suspect, and the rest of the train ride passed rather quickly. Everyone disembarked in a large mass, which meant she was quickly diverted from her friends. Nearly everyone stopped at the carriages though, staring at the creatures that pulled them for a moment before climbing in. For those who were used to the thestrals being invisible, it still was jarring to be able to see them, silent reminders of what had occurred.

As she was not with her friends, it was a quite carriage ride back to the castle. Once they made it, she was able to find them again, and the group headed in. Just as they were about to pass through the doors, they all slowed to run a hand along one of the deeper scars on the wall. It had become such a popular tradition on the first night at school that the scar was running smooth already.

Once inside, they sat at their house tables, waiting for the arrival of the younglings and the sorting. The sorting... the scariest and happiest moments most of the first years would have this year.

And it all would start with a song.

Tegian's Wife

Demonic Wolf

11,325 Points
User Image
User Image

Her other family members may have been petty enough to hex those Gryffindor boys for their behavior - though perhaps not because of a stolen sickle - and while Ella wanted to do so... She was better than that. She would not be the reason her family name was soiled further; she was going to be the reason that people respected and feared them again. After she had given Cai the sickle and sat down, Sevix said, ”Well, if I do not end up in Slytherin, I certainly hope I do not end up in Gryffindor.” If her shy friend was put in Gryffindor, they'd be rivals of the worst sort - nobody had a harsher, fiercer, or more bitter rivalry than Slytherin and Gryffindor - and it was unlikely that her parents would ever allow her to speak with him again. Of course, Ella may have been a Malfoy but she was very headstrong and willful; it was those few qualities that she knew made her parents worry that she would perhaps be placed elsewhere. But the Sorting Hat knew the Malfoy family, all branches of it, and it knew that they were all ambitious and were going to go places in life. It would never put a Malfoy anywhere except Slytherin. The only member of her extended family who had not ended up in Slytherin - at least out of those she could remember, as her extended family was quite extensive and many were dead - was Sirius Black. "No matter where you end up, we'll still be friends," she promised him with a soft smile. The rest of the train ride went quietly but well. Sevix slowly opened up as time passed and the trio were soon chatting and laughing as though they'd been friends for a very long time. When the snack cart arrived, pushed by a plump, friendly witch, they all bought a plethora of treats to share and to begin their chocolate card collections (or to add to existing ones). It was dark when the train finally pulled into Hogsmeade station and the students exited quickly, everyone eager to get to the school for the feast and the Sorting of the new first years. Ella stepped out onto the platform with Cai and Sevix, looking up at the massive man known as Hagrid, the grounds keeper and half-giant who would escort all of the first years to Hogwarts via little boats. "He is smaller than I was expecting," whispered Sevix, "Usually they are a bit bigger than that, are they not?... half-giants I mean."

Due to the company that her family kept, she'd seen giants and half-giants and many other creatures that most couldn't say that they had seen and Hagrid was a bit smaller than the half-giants she had seen. "I wouldn't know, but he does seem friendly. Shall we get a boat together?" replied Cai. Ella nodded, "Sounds good. Lets go, before they're all filled up and we have to separate." They followed the crowd of first years down to the lake, where a fleet of small row boats sat, sans oars, each with a lantern hooked to the front. The trio piled into a boat with a few other students and then the fleet began to move off, no doubt enchanted to move on their own and follow Hagrids boat; her father and most of her family held the half-giant in low regard but she didn't see any problems with him. He seemed nice. As they were crossing the lake, one of the kids in their boat seemed to see something in the lake - probably the giant squid, even though it was dark and would be difficult to see, though it was known know that the lake also inhabited a bunch of mer-people - and then promptly toppled in. Ella gripped the sides of the boat and peered into the water, flinching backwards as Cai jumped in after him, the cold water splashing upwards; the blond gripped the other boy who had fallen in and helped him over to the boat, where Ella was one of the people to help haul the kid back inside. By that point, Hagrid had arrived and he plucked Cai from the water by the scruff of his robes as though he weighed no more than a feather and he made sure that the pair was okay before telling everyone to stay in their boats for the rest of the ride. "Gryffindor," she told him as the boats resumed motion, "I bet you're put in Gryffindor; that was a pretty brave, potentially reckless, thing you just did." And the ditz who had fallen into the water in the first place would probably end up in Hufflepuff or something; no one from any other house would fall into the lake like that kid had. Then Hogwarts came into view. There were audible gasps as the students saw it, craning their necks to look up at it; towers and turrets pierced the sky, lights twinkling within each window, warm and inviting. The boats beached themselves in a small, concealed cove with a pebbled beach and Hagrid led the students up to the grand entrance hall doors, where the first years were also led past the scarred archway, a product of the Second Wizarding War, the Battle of Hogwarts.

A tiny man with fluffy white hair dressed in emerald green robes met them in the entrance hall and though he was so little and his voice so squeaky, he got everyone's attention. "Excuse me, excuse me first years, over here please!" He was standing on the steps that led up to the Great Hall; the chatter of all the upper-classmen could be heard through the thick oak doors. The first years gathered around the small man and he said, "You'll need to wait here for a minute before we're ready for you. When you're taken into the great hall, you'll be sorted into your houses; while you are here, your House will be like your family. Good behavior will gain you points while rule-breaking will lose them-" A few first years shared looks and Professor Flitwick continued, "Go through that little door over there and I'll be along to get you shortly." The new students did as instructed, standing rather uncomfortably close to each other in the smaller space. Cai was still dripping wet and Ella tried to remember the incantation for the dry-air spell she sometimes saw her mother use so that she could help dry his robes but the spell wasn't forth-coming... Maybe the little professor could dry his robes before they went into the Great Hall... Not long after that, the door opened and the professors voice cut through the chatter, calling them all back to the entrance hall. As she, Cai, and Sevix passed him, the professor said, "Why are you all wet young man?" After their friend had explained that he had jumped into the lake to help another first year who had fallen in, Professor Flitwick pulled out his wand and gave it a wave; Cai's robes dried off right away. After that, they were ushered forward to join their other students. Flitwick hurried as fast as his little feet could carry him to the front of the stairs and squeaked, "If you'll follow me please." The doors to the great hall opened and he led the way in, the new first years following close behind. The great hall was massive, with four long tables along its great length, each packed with students sporting ties of their house color; the ceiling was enchanted to look like the sky and it glittered with the light of a hundred thousand stars. Candles floated along the tabletops and above the heads of students, hundreds of candles illuminating the large space. At a long table at the far end, there sat all of the teachers and the Headmistress, Professor Minerva McGonagall. Once all of the students were gathered in front of the teachers table, where a stool with a ratty, burnt looking old hat sat... Everything fell silent, everyone looking at the hat expectantly. Then... A tear in its brim open wide and it began to sing:

Oh, my visage might not be the brightest,
My appearance tired and worn,
But it is on the inside what counts,
for that's where the true you is born!

So come forth and put me on,
Yes, I see inside your head,
I know where you truly belong,
and for you what lies ahead.

Will you belong in Gryffindor,
Where the truly daring dwell,
Their bravery and strength of heart
Will always serve them well,

Perhaps you will be in Hufflepuff
Home of the loyal,
Their kindness and friendliness
Make them ever so royal

Or maybe you will be in Slytherin
Who have no end of cunning,
Their determination to win,
Should send others running,

Or yet find home in Ravenclaw
Where reside the truly wise
Intelligence and mental speed
Will see a true Ravenclaw rise

So do not fear
And don't you fret,
Just put me on,
I've not been wrong yet!

The tear closed and the hat suddenly sat still; the great hall burst into applause after it had finished and then another teacher stood up, walking around to stand next to the stool - probably because Professor Flitwick couldn't reach the stool - and then she said, "When I call your name, come forward and sit on the stool to be sorted into your house." The sorting began with an 'Abott, Tyler' and continued on; he was placed in Ravenclaw, the two after him went to Hufflepuff, after that it was a Gryffindor and a Slytherin. After each student's house was announced, the corresponding table would erupt into cheers and welcome the new student with open arms. Carrow, Mileni was called - there was some muttering when she was called, as everyone knew who the Carrows were - and the hat had barely sunk down over her ears when it yelled out: "I say SLYTHERIN!" The hat was pulled off and she moved over to the Slytherin table, which was cheering loudly. The rest of the sorting seemed to go rather fast. Then Ella was called. "Elladora Malfoy," called the professor. The muttering began again in earnest - everyone knew the Malfoy name and how Draco, Lucius, and Narcissa had been so intertwined with the Dark Lord - and the other students parted for her to pass through. The Sorting had barely touched her head before it yelled: SLYTHERIN! She smiled, naturally she'd expected it, and she hopped off the stool, making her way over to the Slytherin table, where they made room for her to sit down; once seated, she turned to watched the rest of the Sorting, hoping that at least one of her new friends would be in Slytherin too. Malfoy or no, she was sure this was going to be difficult if she was all on her own. After a while, Sevix was finally called. "Riddle, Sevix," read the teacher. Everything became very hushed and then the muttering began, louder than it had been for even her. Ella's eyebrow arched upwards. There was only one person whose last name had been Riddle and he had become the most powerful dark wizard to date... Was Sevix related? Her friend looked incredibly uncomfortable as he made his way up to the stool and there were several Slytherin's across the table muttering about how he was surely going to be joining them and she silenced them with a glare; just because he was possibly related to Tom Riddle didn't mean he was going to be a Slytherin. The hat was placed on its head, where it slipped all the way down past his eyes... Silence reigned for a while and then: GRYFFINDOR! Everyone seemed stunned. Then the Gryffindor table let out a roar that rattled the windows as Sevix got off the stool and made his way across to them. Space was made but it was far more than was necessary and she could see several of them giving each other odd looks but some looks were also cast across to the Slytherin table; they'd just gotten a possible relation of Tom Riddle and Slytherin hadn't. The school year hadn't truly started and yet the rivalry was going strong.

"Caius Tande!" Cai made his way to the stool and soon joined the Gryffindor table as well, sitting next to Sevix, which caused him to receive several odd looks from his new fellow house-mates. The chatter had begun to rise but it ceased the second the headmistress stood up. "Before we begin the feast, I have few start of term reminders; Mr. Filch would like me to remind you that the Forbidden Forest is out of bounds for all first year students. All Weasley Wizard Wheezes are banned and will be taken if found. Now, let the feast begin!" The tables flowered with food of all kinds, the most delicious delicacies that were the best part of having the feasts. And then the House Ghosts made their appearances. The Bloody Baron, Nearly Head-Less Nick, the Monk, The Gray Lady, and various others swooped in through walls and the tables, startling the students and making their greetings towards the new students; the Bloody Baron was the only one who didn't speak much... Or at all rather. Ella cast a look over her shoulder at the boys before turning her attention to the feast in front of her and beginning to eat. It looked like her two new friends were destined to be her rivals... And that was a bit of a problem because they were her only friends.

Tegian's Wife

Demonic Wolf

11,325 Points
User Image
User Image
“I'm sure even Slytherins will think twice before hexing little ol' me,” said Amelia, grinning impishly up at him; Loki chuckled. His girlfriend may have been in Hufflepuff but she was more dangerous than she looked. Loki had seen more than one man come out of the wrong end of a fight with her and even playing Quidditch with her could be dangerous. He'd received more than one black eye from playing against her and he was just the Keeper. "Oh I'm sure they'll regret it if they attempted," chuckled Loki, smiling in response. The pair chatted for another fifteen minutes before agreeing to meet up again later; she returned to her friends and teammates in her carriage and Loki resumed patrol, confiscating two Skiving Snack Boxes, a Fanged Frisbee, several Canary Creams (which he intended to prank the Slytherin prefects with), and a box of the Weasley's fireworks as well. All of it would go to McGonagall and probably somehow end up back among the student body, despite the Headmistresses attempt to keep such items out of the young, impressionable populace. Despite all her attempts, and those of the previous Headmasters, Loki knew that there was no possible way to keep all of the contraband away from the students who had the gold to pay for it and since the Weasley's had made it possible to mail order things, it made it even easier for the students to get a hold of things they weren't supposed to have, since the school was no longer checking the mail, as it had during the reign of the terrible Dolores Umbridge (may she rot in Hell). After doing the first round of patrols, the Gryffindor Prefect retreated back to the prefects carriage to chat with the others; periodically, one would leave to do another round but over all things were kind of quiet. It seemed like they'd finally gotten a pretty good group of first years, as it was typically a bunch of rowdy first years who were the cause of most problems during the ride, despite their general terror at being whisked away to a Wizarding School. The rest of the train ride went smoothly and, by Loki's count, fairly quickly as well. Before he knew it, the train was coming to a stop at Hogsmeade station and the students were piling out in a great mass, each eager to get to the feast.

"Easy now, easy," called the prefect, "Don't push so much you lot, there's plenty of carriages for everyone!" It took a bit but finally everyone was off the train; one last sweep by the prefects was done and then they disembarked as well. Naturally most of them caught a carriage together, as it made the most sense. Loki took a minute to stop and look at the Thestral, patting it on its leathery side for a second; it was still strange to be able to see the beasts, as they'd been completely invisible to him up until after the battle of Hogwarts. They were another reminder as to what had happened, as they were beasts that couldn't be seen unless someone had seen someone else die... Loki had watched his best friend since childhood get murdered by Death Eaters during the battle, which he and his friend had refused to leave for despite being underage for. He shook the bad memories off - now wasn't the time for them - and then climbed up after the others. The Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Gryffindor prefects all caught one together, as they were large enough for everyone, but the Slytherin prefects slunked off to find another one; it was as if they didn't want to be seen with the prefects from the other houses. "Blighters," muttered the girl from Ravenclaw, "The Second Wizarding War has been over for two years now and they still don't seem keen on showing us that not all Slytherin's are bad eggs." Loki shook his head, "They're just havin' a hard time with it; they've always seen 'emselves as bein' above the rest of us. We just have to keep showin' them that we're willing to work it out and be friends." The rest of them muttered, not quite in agreement but knowing that he was probably right. The carriage lurched as the Thestrals pulling it began to move, taking them up the long, winding road to Hogwarts castle. After exiting the carriage, the prefects made their way inside with the rest of the upper-classmen, each pausing to run their hands along the scarred entryway, which had been left as a tribute to those who had fallen during the Battle. They were all let into the Great Hall to find their seats and wait for the first years to arrive. Once they were escorted in, the sorting hat was placed on its stool and it began to sing, high-lighting each trait of the four Houses; once it had finished, everyone cheered loudly for it.

Then the sorting began, with the first student going into Hufflepuff. 'Carrow, Mileni' was a Slytherin, no shocker there. Then 'Malfoy, Elladora' was called. "Another Malfoy," muttered the boy sitting next to him, "Bet I know where she's going." Sure enough, she was placed into Slytherin. "The day a Malfoy is placed into another house is the day I eat my hat," said the same boy. Loki rolled his eyes. The Malfoy family had a bad rap to it thanks to the family who had aided the Dark Lord but that didn't mean that all Malfoy's were bad people. Then: "Riddle, Sevix". Silence reigned for several seconds. Loki felt his eye's widen. It wasn't a terribly common name and the last Riddle to attend Hogwarts had become the most powerful Dark Wizard in history... Several of the students next to him were already bad-mouthing the new student, who looked terribly nervous, betting that he was going to be in Slytherin and that he was going to be a loser or a trouble-maker. Loki jammed his elbow into the closest student and said, "Shut up. A name doesn't say anything about a person, give him a chance." No matter where he ends up. They fell silent but glared at the prefect... Just as the kid was placed into Gryffindor. Everyone was shocked, the silence was deafening... And then Gryffindor's table exploded in noise and Loki knew why; if this kid was related to Tom Riddle, they'd just gotten his relation and Slytherin hadn't. Quite a few others were sorted into Gryffindor after that but the most notable was 'Tande, Caius', who shared the name of an up and coming clothing designer, who sat right next to the lonely looking Sevix Riddle. After McGonagall had said her piece, the tables blossomed with foods of all kinds, the best the wizarding world had to offer, and the feast began. Everyone dug in, talking about their holiday and what they were looking forward to and many were looking forward to the Quidditch season, as was Loki himself. The prefect looked down the table, curious as to those two particular new Gryffindor's.

ooc:

Dapper Shapeshifter

12,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
User ImageUser Image

Sevix gave a nod of assent when Cai asked if they wanted to share a boat for the trip across the lake; and after Ella agreed as well, they all followed the main group of first years down to the docks. Boats were filling quick, and the keen eye of Cai found them a boat that was still empty enough for the trio to join those already on board. A few excited greetings were cast through the group before the oarless boat pushed itself out from the dock and started it’s late night journey to Hogwarts.

Sevix, who had sat beside Ella, was pretty quiet as they set off. He just stared out over the lake, absentmindedly petting the cat upon his lap, before the boat rocked and one of the other kids fell into the lake. Sevix clutched the red-eyed cat to his chest in surprise as he stared at the sputtering kid slowly being left behind. Sevix quickly recovered from the surprise, and was about to pull out his wand to help the kid but Cai jumped in after the other boy.

Sevix watched anxiously as Cai made to the boy and started to haul him back to the boat. Once the pair was close enough, a few of the others on the boat reached down to help the kid who had fallen over back into the boat. Then, Cai was reaching to pull himself back in just as Hagrid arrived and plucked him out of the water and put him back carefully into the boat with a warning before heading off again. Sevix nodded in silent agreement with Ella’s prediction of Gryffindor for Cai. With a show like that, it was a no brainer… too bad though, Cai had already become a friend, and now they were going to have to be in rival houses.

The rest of the boat ride was left mostly in silence as Cai and the other kid sat drenched in their robes, teeth chattering in the cold nights air. The silence was broken when the castle came into view, and gasps found their way out of many of the kids in the boats. Sevix just stared at the large castle, still sporting scars from the battle only a couple short years ago. I don’t know if I can do this… If they find out who I am.. I’m dead… He sighed lightly, but tried to force the negativity from his mind. It was far to late now to change his mind. I can do it.. I have to show them I’m not my father..

Finally, they stood just outside the doors to the great hall. All the first years were chatting excitedly amongst themselves and only quieted down when the short professor called their attention to himself. He explained the process they were going to go through to get sorted, and what to do when they were, then, he ushered the group into the great hall. It was quite the sight to behold, but there was no time at the moment to marvel at the place, because as soon as they were all stopped near the main table, the sorting hat was placed down and it began to sing.

The moment the song was done, the small professor came up to the seat the hat was on, carrying a long list of names. The moment the first name was read out, dread washed through the entirety of Sevix and his blood felt as though it had run cold. He forgot completely! They read the last names in front of the whole school. There was no way to hide his parentage… I’ll just.. pretend I’m not related.. there’s no way to prove I’m his son.. right?

He stood there uncomfortable, trying not to think too much on his name calling. Instead he tried to focus on where everyone else was being placed. A few recognizable names passed, and most were placed exactly where they were expected to end up. Sevix gave a small smile when Ella was called up, and fully expected to sit next to her in just a few minutes.. then soon enough, his name was called. The hall went almost dead silent for a few moments before the whisperings and murmerings started. Sevix wished he could just curl up into a ball and hide.. but instead he forced himself up to the chair and sat himself down. The hat was placed on his head and darkness surrounded him. “Tom Riddle’s son, hmmm?” The hat spoke mentally to him, “I see you feel your life is already destined.. but you’re stronger than you think boy.” Sevix was about to ask what it was talking about, when the hat suddenly shouted “Gryffindor!”

Sevix was dumbfounded as the hat was removed and he could see once more. He sat there, unmoving, until the Gryffindor table let out a triumphant yell. For a moment, he thought it was just because they’d gained another first year… but as he jumped down from the chair and headed over, he realized that was not at all the reason for their triumph. They just got a possible relation of Voldemort, while Slytherin did not. They were rubbing it in… Sevix sighed and cast his eyes down as he sat at the edge of the bench, understanding full well no one wished to sit near him.

He paid no more attention to the names being called, people passed by, going to one table or another, but no one wanted to sit near him when called to Gryffindor. He had already resigned himself to being an outcast, when he felt someone take a seat beside him. He glanced up, and a smile shortly broke through his gloom. “Cai!” He said happily and forced himself not to hug his new friend out of excitement. At least someone still seemed to like him… He remembered Ella then, she was now alone. He looked up to the Slytherin table, and gave a sad smile. She was his first friend, and the hat had taken her away from him now. With the rivalry between their houses.. it wasn’t likely they could stay friends now..

“Well, at least we ended up together. I’m going to miss Ella though.” Sevix said as he looked away from her, just as the food shimmered into existence on the table. He stared at it, unmoving for a few seconds before finally taking himself a plate and filling it up with a variety of meats. “I hope she’ll find some friends there.” Cai asked why he was going to miss her, it wasn’t like they weren’t going to see each other anymore. Just because they were in different houses didn’t mean they couldn’t be friends. Sevix just smiled to him lightly and shrugged. Cai would learn soon enough that yes, students from separate houses could intermingle.. but a Gryffindor and a Slytherin could never be friends.

Friendly Elocutionist

User Image
User Image

"Gryffindor, I bet you're put in Gryffindor; that was a pretty brave, potentially reckless, thing you just did."

Cai shrugged with a smile and tried to get some of the water out of his robes; they felt quite heavy at the moment. Luckily, his wand was secured in an inner pocket when he didn't use it, and so it was not in any danger. Some of the other things he had been carrying were gone, but it was stuff he could replace. A deck of cards, some stink pellets; things like that. Things he liked but could easily replace.

In a whirlwind of activity, they were soon in the castle, greeted by a squeaky but cheerful teacher, who was on the rather shorter side. As he herded them along, he inquired about Cai's soaking wet robes. Cai explained how that came to be, and the professor, who introduced himself as Professor Flitwick, had them and Cai dry in an instant. Definitely a useful spell, and one he could not wait to learn. But sadly, there was no time for that now, as they were ushered into the Great Hall for the sorting.

Cai was quite impressed with the singing hat, wondering just how they managed it. His father experimented with magic on clothing, things such as self cleaning, stain repelling, even color changing; self drying would definitely be something he should add to the list.

Ella was called, and very quickly was sorted into Slytherin; it happened so rapidly that Cai wondered if the hat had even touched her head. A fair amount of names were called, and Cai had to resist the urge to fidget while they waited. Finally, the monotony was broken when Sevix was called, and Cai learned his last name: Riddle. That was a cool name. Sure, it had been associated with the most powerful dark wizard of all time, but it wasn't like people picked their last names after all.

Sevix looked very lonely as he sat at the Gryffindor table, something that made Cai frown slightly. The temptation was nearly overwhelming to walk over and sort everyone out, but even Cai knew better than to do that in the middle of the Sorting. So, he waited patiently for his turn, and soon enough he had the hat on his head.

Hmmm... interesting young man you are. Loyalty abundent, but also bravery in equal measure. You have intelligence, but more to the point... where do you belong?

Cai's mind flashed to Sevix, sitting all alone at Gryffindor. The hat seemed to chuckle.

Mind on your friend eh? I'd place you in Hufflepuff for that loyalty, but I can see where you'd prefer... “GRYFFINDOR!”

Cai mentally thanked the hat, and hoped to talk to him again as he took him off. He seemed so in tune with everything, it would be quite interesting to pick his brain. For now though, he needed to focus on the present, and the present had Sevix sitting alone in Gryffindor. Cai purposefully walked down and plopped next to Sevix on the bench. Some of the housemates began to chatter, but Cai simply rolled his eyes at them.

The Headmistress gave a short speech, after which a decadent feast appeared. As the ate, Sevix lamented that he would miss Ella. Cai questioned hm on this; it wasn't naivety, but he simply saw no reason to follow the crowd and anchor themselves to their houses. If he wanted to befriend a Slytherin, he damn well would. Why should a house in school determine friendship?

Soon enough, the feast was over and several of the Gryffindor Prefects started to lead them up to their dorm room. They passed by the Slytherin table, and Cai ran over to Ella really quick, telling her they should meet up after classes tomorrow. The rest of Slytherin put up a menacing front, but Cai simply didn't seem to notice and waited for Ella to reply. She seemed almost hesitant at first, but quickly said he should go and they'd meet up later. Cai smiled and said okay before joining up with the rest of his house's first year. Cai and Sevix had a wide berth in the group, but it did help them to memorize the proper route to the dorm room as they went along. The prefect leading them seemed nice enough, and introduced himself as Loki.

Once they reached a painting that apparently covered the doorway, the prefect gave the password (aleaiacta est) and they were admitted to their new home. Cai smiled at Sevix, and gestured to let him enter first.

Tegian's Wife

Demonic Wolf

11,325 Points
User Image
User Image

The feast passed rather quickly, though Ella couldn't say that she enjoyed it all that much, even if she was able to fake it for the most part. No one dared speak down to her, at least not yet, not until they knew what she was like. Willing to curse anyone for looking at her wrong or too scared to look anyone in the eye? Well, the flaxen-haired blond wasn't afraid to look anyone in the eyes and it seemed that a few of her fellow Slytherin's were too afraid to meet her eyes. Her family name may have been in shambles but she wasn't going to allow herself to be bullied by these fools. When the feast was over and all the food cleared from the tables, Professor McGonagall stood up to say a few last words. "Now that you're all full and are ready for bed, I have a few more reminders for you all. Term starts tomorrow and I expect everyone to attend their first class, which may start as early as nine a.m. or as late as ten. If you have any questions, ask a professor or older student. Now, off to bed; your house Prefects will lead you to your dormitories." With that, the students began to move. The Prefects stood and began to herd the first years towards the respective dorms. The Hufflepuff dormitories were near the kitchens, the Ravenclaw and Gryffindor dormitories were in the towers, and the Slytherin dormitories were in the dungeons, under the Black Lake. As everyone shuffled towards the doors to the entrance hall, Cai ran over to her, telling her that they should meet up after classes tomorrow. The appearance of this young Gryffindor student caused the Slytherin's around her to puff up, glaring at him for even daring to come talk to one of their students, but Cai didn't seem to notice. He was going to get himself hexed into oblivion... Or he was going to make this harder for her. "Cai... I..." She wasn't sure if he noticed her hesitation or not but he didn't say anything about it. The longer he stood by the Slytherin table, the worse she could feel this going. "You should go, I'll see you tomorrow, promise." He hurried away to rejoin the Gryffindors and Ella sighed; he just didn't understand that a Gryffindor student couldn't just come up to the Slytherin table like that. The Prefects led the Slytherin first years down to the dungeons, where they stopped in front of a blank wall and said, "This is the entrance to the dormitories. The password this month is 'pureblood'." Typical. At the word, the wall slid back and to the side, admitting them all into the Slytherin common room. The female prefect led the first year girls to their dorm, which had several four-poster beds, each with their trunks at the end of them; there was a heater in the center of the room, no doubt meant to warm the dormitory during the winter or whenever the temperature dipped too low. They did live under the lake after all. Ella found her trunk sitting at the end of a bed at the far end of the dormitory and she pulled off her robe, draping it on the bed and sighing. It was going to be a long night, she could already feel the eyes of the other girls on her.

Tegian's Wife

Demonic Wolf

11,325 Points
User Image
User Image
The feast passed fairly quickly, everyone stuffing themselves to the point of bursting even before the desserts appeared on the table. By the time those were gone, everyone was full and tired and ready to crawl into their four-posters for a good night's sleep. The desserts disappeared from sight, seeming to sink into the tables, and then Professor McGonagall stood up. The Great hall fell silent at her movement and she said, "Now that you're all full and are ready for bed, I have a few more reminders for you all. Term starts tomorrow and I expect everyone to attend their first class, which may start as early as nine a.m. or as late as ten. If you have any questions, ask a professor or older student. Now, off to bed; your house Prefects will lead you to your dormitories." That was his cue. Loki stood and called out, "First years, this way, first years!" He was tall and, what was more, he was loud and so all of the new students heard him fairly easily and began to shuffle towards him; Loki sometimes forgot just how shy the first years were when they first arrived at Hogwarts. He noticed one of the first years run over to the Slytherin table to talk to the Malfoy girl and prepared himself to have to go protect the newest member of Gryffindor house but the girl said something to the other blond and the boy quickly rejoined the flow of students headed up to Gryffindor tower. Interesting. He'd need to keep an eye on that boy, as well as the one whose last name was 'Riddle'. "We're situated up in Gryffindor Tower," He called over his shoulder as he led the students up the staircases, "The password to get into the dormitories will change every month and it is your job to remember it; you're always welcome to come ask me if you forget." There were gasps from the students once they realized that the portraits were moving and the portraits themselves called out greetings to the newest Gryffindor's. "Also, watch out for the staircases; they like to change." As if on cue, the staircases above them began to shift and change position; the first years gasped in awe at the sight. It was rather magnificent to look at but the stairs could be a pain when a person was running late or even if they were half asleep. There were stairs that moved, stairs that you'd have to remember to skip, ones that vanished... Sometimes he felt that the castle liked to mess with the students, as there were even walls disguised as doors and vice versa; it was going to be hell for some of these kids tomorrow.

They came to a portrait of a fat lady dressed in pink silks. "Password?" she inquired, looking at Loki. "Aleaiacta est," responded the prefect. She nodded and the portrait swung outwards, revealing an opening in the wall. Loki stepped up through the opening, leading the new Gryffindors into the common room; it was circular, as the were in a tower, and had a fireplace one wall as well as several plush chairs and couches and a few tables, which would make for good places to sit and study or play wizard chess or whatever. Off from the common room there were two winding stair cases. "The staircase to the right is the girls dormitory and boys are to the left; your things have already been brought up to tower and should be resting at the foot of the beds. I suggest you all go get some rest now, tomorrow is going to be a very busy day for all of you. Oh and before I forget, I'm Loki Beaumont and she's Stephanie Mason. If you have any questions, feel free to come to one of us." The students nodded and some said thanks before going their separate ways, going up to their respective dormitories. "Going to bed Loki?" asked Stephanie, pausing at the foot of the stairs that would lead up to the girls dorms. He smiled, sinking into one of the chairs in front of the crackling fireplace. "I will, in a few; I'm just going to take a second to relax. See you in the morning." She smiled back and said good night, retreating up the staircase and he sat there for a moment, listening to the sounds of the students getting around for bed and getting settled in. His thoughts went to Caius Tande and Sevix Riddle; there were already outcasts, one for his name and one for associating with the other. It would be worse for them now because Cai had gone and spoken to the Malfoy girl... He'd need to keep an eye those two, just to be sure that they weren't bullied by the other Gryffindors. The Gryffindor students were brave and chivalrous but could sometimes over-step their boundaries and be as big of bullies as the Slytherin students often were. It was a bit sad really. At any rate, once things were quiet... Loki stood and snuck out of Gryffindor Tower. The portrait did not comment on this, as it wasn't uncommon for prefects to leave at odd hours to keep an eye on the hallways for the teachers. He knew that there could possibly be consequences for sneaking out just to meet up with Amelia for a little alone time but it was worth it... He hoped. The library was open and Madam Pince was at the desk; she only glanced up at him once. As he was a regular visitor to the library and a good, quiet student, she never had any problems with him and so would't bother him while he was there. He sat down at a table in the corner of the library and relaxed back against the chair, keeping an eye out for Amelia. He didn't want to keep their relationship but it was best to do so for now, so that their teams wouldn't think that they would throw the games for each other... And the professors didn't care enough to gossip about that kind of stuff and the portraits would be too busy teasing the first years for the next couple weeks to notice anything the upper-classmen did. It would be nice to spend a little time with Amelia in a place where they wouldn't need to worry about being seen by anyone from another house; no one else would be in here this late, especially not after the feast.

ooc:

Dapper Shapeshifter

12,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
User ImageUser Image

Sevix was horrified to see Cai go wandering towards the Slytherin table, and had tried to stop him from doing so but he was too late. The boy had headed off and went straight up to them, as if house rivalries did not exist. Unfortunately, they did, and the slytherins were clearly unhappy with his approach; a few even seemed ready to grab their wands to hex the poor first year. Sevix took in a deep breath and started over, but before he could make it more than a few paces, Cai was on his way back with a smile on his face.

“Are you insane??” Sevix whispered harshly as Cai got up beside him and the group of Gryffindor’s headed out. “You’re lucky you’re not vomiting slugs right now.” He warned as the pair trailed at the back of the Gryffindor pack. Sevix signed lightly and rolled his eyes at Cai’s innocent response to the threat the Slytherin’s possess… to be fair, he would have been one of them had he ended up there. Cai then said something that honestly surprised Sevix… Ella would meet them after class tomorrow? Really?? She probably just wants to tell us to leave her alone. He couldn’t get excited about going to see her, she was his first real friend but even house rivalries could ruin something like that. But maybe… maybe..

Eventually the group arrived at the painting of the fat lady. Anxiety really hit Sevix at this moment. He knew these people around him would never accept him because of his name. Even now, they were all keeping their distance from him and giving him shifting looks. He practically cowered under their looks as they slowly made their way through to the dorms. Sevix stopped at the door, and took a deep shaky breath before, with a gentle grip on his shoulder from Cai, he headed in.

The room was a lot different than he was expecting. He’d heard stories of how ruined, rotting, and disgusting the room was supposed to be.. but it was clean and orderly, save for the students who were milling about and being rambunctious. The atmosphere changed, not terribly noticeably, but enough to let Sevix know the older students were not pleased with a particular new student they had in their house. No one said anything though, not with the prefect standing right there.

The prefect indicated where their rooms were, and sent them off to bed. Sevix, still incredibly tense, made his way up to the first year boys dorm and went straight to the bed his luggage was on. With a goodnight from Cai, and some unsavoury words from the others, Sevix quickly changed into his sleeping clothes and curled up, hiding under his blankets until he fell asleep.

A nudging in the back of his mind forced him into wakefulness after a few good hours of sleep. For a few seconds, he was confused about his surroundings, but it came back to him after just a few moments. He was finally at Hogwarts! Excitement pulsed as he quickly sat up, disrupting his cat’s sleep in the process. “Sorry Max.” He said quietly before getting out of his bed. He got ready for the day as fast as he could before going over to Cai’s bed to wake him, but the other boy was already up. “Hey, hurry up, lets go.” He had for now forgotten about his anxiety of being here, as it was overridden by his excitement. “I’ll wait for you downstairs. Don’t forget your book and wand.” He smiled as he headed out to wait for Cai in the common room.

Friendly Elocutionist

User Image
User Image

"Are you insane? You're lucky you're not vomiting slugs right now."

"They wouldn't have done that, I didn't do anything to them." Cai said simply, as if that solved everything. Sevix rolled his eyes and sighed slightly, but Cai didn't seem to notice as they walked along. He simply took in the path they took, trying to remember which stairs were trick ones, which doors were walls, which... okay, there was no possible way he was going to remember all of this. At least not at first, which meant the first weeks here would be quite interesting.

Sevix seemed pleasantly surprised when he said Ella would meet them tomorrow, something that made Cai smile ever so slightly. That was why he had marched over to the Slytherin table, because it would be a cold day in hell when he let a house rivalry get in the way of his friends. He had friends, and was determined to keep it that way. If others wanted to hex him for being different, it said a lot more about them than it did of himself. The truth was that he wasn't as naive as he seemed, he was not oblivious to the danger he had put himself in. Simply put, he didn't care. Hexes could have flown his way, but the idea of not doing what was right would hurt him even more. That was why he was placed in Gryffindor.

The common room seemed rather nice, but it was their dorm room that called everyone the most. The first year boys had a their own room, so it should have been a chance for everyone to meet each other. Instead, their fellow first years seemed intent on holding back, at least until they found out more about Sevix and Cai. Their reasoning for being leery of Sevix was easy to see, but Cai caused them unease because he didn't seem to care about Sevix's last name, or the house rivalries... what kind of kid didn't respect that sort of thing?

Cai slept well enough, waking up early and opting to write in his journal. The ink was not any special invisible kind, and it didn't seem like the journal was enchanted... until someone other than Cai tried to read it. That was when the fun would really start. It was magic beyond the first year's level, a present from his parents. His first day was the topic he wrote about: his new friends, how sad he was about everyone's reaction to Sevix's last name, and the way the houses just seemed to hate each other. It ended on a positive note, as if one could expect anything else from the boy, stating how he was looking forward to changing some people's opinions. No sooner had Cai put the journal safely away in his trunk than Sevix woke up, obviously thrilled for the first day.

The pair met up in the common room, and soon were walking into the Great Hall. As they passed by the Slytherin table, Cai's shoelaces undid themselves before tying around each other, sending him crashing to the ground.
"Good one guys, I'll have to learn that some day." he said to the Slytherin's with a smile as he freed the knots and did them right... the Slytherins were not sure how to take not getting a better reaction out of the boy. As he stood, Cai shot Sevix a look that told him to not react. Once they were enjoying breakfast in the Great Hall... the other students once again giving them a wide berth at the table, Cai spoke up. "So, what class do you think we have first? I can't wait to find out, today is going to be awesome." he said happily. Were one to look at him, it would seem like he didn't notice the cruel joke that had been played with his shoes, or the other students avoiding him.

Of course he noticed, he was putting on a friendly front to try and diffuse the situation. Getting angry or upset didn't do any good... and besides, he memorized the faces of those responsible, and would get his revenge later. Unfortunately, someone else beat him to it.

((post 1 of 2))

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces