Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you bother with inventory organization?

Yes! 0.47770700636943 47.8% [ 75 ]
No! 0.32484076433121 32.5% [ 51 ]
MAYBE, WHO'S ASKIN' D:< 0.19745222929936 19.7% [ 31 ]
Total Votes:[ 157 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Dapper Dabbler

Well hey there, Gaia!

So over the past few years I've dropped back onto this site every once in a while to see the differences, pick up a few items, and check in with old friends. And by a few items, I mean almost triple what I had back in my heyday in 2009. oooops.

Attempting to color-code my inventory like the good ol' days again right now and I think I might rip my hair out.

So tell me folks, how do you organize your inventory? Do you even bother anymore?

I'm starting to wonder whether it's worth it considering all of these items with hella poses -- do I sort by the color of the icon or the general color of the poses? Should I go by item type or would that be moot considering the way Customize sorts it already? Am I just insane for taking on this task when I have actual real-life cleaning to do? DISCUSS.

LabTechX's Waifu

Luminous Fairy

I have a very specific system:

1. Item type (mods -> tops -> dresses -> bottoms...)
2. Style (for tops: bikinis -> tanks -> short sleeves -> long sleeves...)
3. Actual item
4. Coloring of item (white -> ROYGBIV -> black)

It was not a problem when I started it. Now... um, well, I have a lot of junk accumulating at the end.
The picture explains it so much better than words can

User Image

Avatar stuff - [Animal] before human, furs and then other stuff, sorted based on the tabs in Customize, further sorted by what it is (based on the default icon) and then with colours typically always in the same pattern (with a few exceptions); Special items; Aquarium - again with some semblance of order to it; Housing; Game (I've given up on hauling that stuff through housing and aquarium -why the hell is it locked so I can't use the boxes for transportation?); random crap. Old event crap is all tossed in my storage box because I couldn't settle on how to place it in (I want the set to be together, but I also want it to be in its spot with similar items, so I can't win, so I'm just not going to deal with it)

With avatar items that I use/keep, I get them where they belong and make the necessary adjustments to things right away (I'm a touch particular about placement of regularly-used things), because I really hate moving equipped items.
I find for myself that it's just so much easier to keep track of what I have by keeping my inventory organized.

Kawaii Shounen

27,440 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Lapin Patrol Mimosa: Victory! 50
  • Magical Girl 50
my inventory is a hot mess and I'm too lazy to ever do anything about it tbh.

I don't find it to be worth it & I've never bothered.

When my invo was small, I can easily locate my items.
But when the number of items grows, my eyes & brains cross at the amount of work required.

Not about to start now xD

Perfect Saint

My inventory is actually divided into pre 2013 and post 2013. It will take some bit of doing to fix things and I'm still waiting for that new inventory and hope it'd be the answer to my needs.

Magical Demigod

17,975 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
My organizing is very specific...

My inventory organizing goes like this:
1. Favourite Animal related items [Sheep]
2. Wings
3. Arm mod specific items
4. Recolors of items I use ALOT [Hat>Hair>Shirt/Dress>Pants>Accessories]
5. Eyes/Face mods
6. Hair > Bangs/Ahoges
7. Recolors of items I rarely use [same order]
8. Color Coordinate [Black>White> ROYGBIV]
9. Companions [Animal A> Animal B> Animal C> etc]
10. Monthly collectibles [in order is oldest>newest] [and their recolors]
11. SDPlus Dolls
12. Mood bubbles
13. Backgrounds
14. Astras
15. [Animal] items
16. Store bought goods/dumpster dive goods

I only ever update my closet as new stuff comes in when I'm in the mood to organize. It's worth it for me because I don't like it when my items are hard to find in my closet and it makes everything neater and I can find items I'm looking for faster

Business Businessman

I have a pretty small inventory, because paw. (I don't know how many items I actually have, the my gaia page says over 2000 but like half of those are caches.) I don't have a particularly rigid organisation system, but I do keep multiples of items together, then any recolours, and also I tend to vaguely group things where the item is the same sort of thing. (flower crowns, unicorn horns, wings, wands, etc.)
Personally, I find that even with a disorganised inventory I can function pretty well. I'm a hoarder so it pretty much never changes except to add stuff to the end, so I end up knowing where stuff is just by getting used to it.
I group sets of recolors together, then mash together all the similar type of icons (headbands, tophats, headphones, etc - just an example) and finally order it by how likely I'll use those items.

Of course, there's a problem, since the first time I organized my invo, my idea of what my favorite items are, has now changed...

Basically my invo is organized in a way that on one hand makes perfect sense to me, and on the other is totally nonsensical (to me).

Magical Girl

26,725 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Invisibility 100
I began organizing my inventory since around the time I had ~3k items. All my equippables go first, grouped by whether it's an MC, REI, some random chance item, shop item, etc. Then each group has items sorted by the order I got them in, but if two items look like they belong together, I put them together instead.

It looks kinda messy, but it definitely makes finding items easier. I can never remember the names of items or what color the icon is - only what type of item it is and when I got it. Some pics of my inventory:

User Image
User Image
User Image

xX-Stacyx's Wife

Snarky Vermin

49,690 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Hellraiser 500
My inventory used to be organized, but since it's hit two pages, it's just too much of a pain without a better inventory organizer (you can take that to mean on Gaia's end or mine, both are accurate). I haven't even tried in over a year.

When I bothered? All the stuff you can actually wear had to go first, of course, then housing stuff, then zOmg, then the odds and ends of things I didn't care about but couldn't be bothered to sell or use. For the wearables, I like to keep the stuff I wear almost all the time--marionette doll for white bangs, death whisper for tattoos--at the top, followed by the accessories that go with many different looks. After that, things were grouped together by what favorite outfit they made up, and the outfits in turn were kept like with like, so the fantasy armors were all together, then the pirate gear, then the beachside stuff, etc. At the end of the wearables section, things I didn't consider essential to one outfit or outfit style would be grouped by item type.

Ah, for the days when I had time to care that much!

Friendly Trader

13,375 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
It drives me nuts how slow it is to organize my inventory with the current inventory organizer. Especially now when I've acquired over the years. I organize them based off of what they are, where I got them and what tab they're under. So for example my whole inventory is organized as:

Hats>Tops>Bottoms>Shoes>Accessories>Items>Animal items>Aquarium>Game>ZOMG>Alchemy>House

In each one of those I then have them organized as:

Holiday Event/Free Grants/Sponsor>ZOMG crafted>Gold shop>Cash Shop/From RIG>MC

Typically after that I'll organize them based off of size.

Party Member

User Image

rainbow items
frequently used items, in rainbow order
backgrounds, in rainbow order
red
brown
beige
orange
yellow
toxic green
green