I'm not doing the math to figure that out! 0.17647058823529 17.6% [ 12 ]
Total Votes:[ 68 ]
< 1 2 3 4 >

Tenacious Glitch

24,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Newbie Helper 100
I just love this thread title. It made me smile. smile Gold and items are worthless to me and always have been especially since Gaia legally owns them both. Thinking about currency does make me sad because of all the trees that died making it and all the metal required from the earth to make it. I'm just waiting for the day in which currency won't be required and we can generate food like on Star Trek. I love counting currency I admit since accounting and tax is my forte. Yes gold generators are a joke when applied to real world economics. It's like seeing the stimulus plan release over and over and over and over and over again. We do know how much gold circulates on a daily basis based on the MP graphs. The amount of gold has increased by at 100% in just the past year alone. If I had that much gold in real life, I would buy and have Gaia work on zOMG! Then I would adopt a couple kids. Buy my siblings some houses. Fix my car and but my own accounting business. Whatever I had leftover, I'd invest into an IRA and maybe a few stocks and bonds.

Cosmogonal Cultist

33,915 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Beta Gaian 0
Zaade

- - -
There does seem to be so much gold on Gaia that it's hard to wonder why it's worth anything at all. What does gold do that makes it valuable on Gaia at all?
- - -

It's like any inflated currency. People keep using it because they've always used it and, well, what else are they going to use? lol It's like in the Weimar Republic, when you had to bring a wheelbarrow full of cash just to buy a loaf of bread. Sure, the stuff was worthless enough to use as wallpaper, but it's what you got paid in, dammit!

Torse
Okami Ameras

Heh... maybe if enough people picketed their office like that they would finally get rid of the Gold Generators. Think that would get their attention enough?

nahh.

they're probably all robots anyway, don't need sustenance.

I believe that many of them are still human, they're just forced into serving their robot overlords. emo

Handsome Destroyer

The Iron Magus
See, I considered that, but there's so much gold imagery that actually depicts it as real gold coins. The coins from booty grab, the coins you hoover up after defeating a monster in zOMG, and of course, the coins you get from moving about the site. User Image
And it is called "gold," after all. It's not like... "Gaia Dollars," or anything. It all points to the conclusion that yes, we really do haul kilotons of gold around on a daily basis. x_x

Hmm. You might have a point there, but consider the bitcoin. There's plenty of imagery that depicts bitcoins as real, solid, gold-looking coins simply because tangible things are easier for a lot of people to comprehend. I posit that Gaia's gold works in a similar way. The coins are largely there for show.

...I say "largely" because in some cases you might be able to perform transactions with the physical coinage. Casascius bitcoins were hollow; they had a piece of paper inside with a key for the appropriate amount of BTC. This could be likened to the Mythril Coin packages Ian sells in various denominations, circling back to Gaia.

So you can give a Casascius or Mythril Coin to someone if they'll accept it for payment, sure. But in the end the coin itself isn't what has the value, and it has limited utility and flexibility compared to your, uh...digital wallet, for lack of a better phrase. whee

Stellar Cat

I would be Gaia old money I guess. I could disappear to my own island somewhere. Or become a robot. I'm leaning towards robot.

Sparkly Genius

Man, mad props to you for going and doing all that math.

So, the only conclusion I can draw from this is that planet Gaia is made mostly of gold. Which begs the question - why are we using it as currency?!

Cosmogonal Cultist

33,915 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Beta Gaian 0
Rikki Hyperion

Hmm. You might have a point there, but consider the bitcoin. There's plenty of imagery that depicts bitcoins as real, solid, gold-looking coins simply because tangible things are easier for a lot of people to comprehend. I posit that Gaia's gold works in a similar way. The coins are largely there for show.

...I say "largely" because in some cases you might be able to perform transactions with the physical coinage. Casascius bitcoins were hollow; they had a piece of paper inside with a key for the appropriate amount of BTC. This could be likened to the Mythril Coin packages Ian sells in various denominations, circling back to Gaia.

So you can give a Casascius or Mythril Coin to someone if they'll accept it for payment, sure. But in the end the coin itself isn't what has the value, and it has limited utility and flexibility compared to your, uh...digital wallet, for lack of a better phrase. whee

Maybe! I guess there's no way to really tell. I've always wanted a gold coin item for my avatar to hold and flip, but the closest I've found is the Rich Camp stacks of Gold, which does depict it in coin for. Then again, from the same event, we have the Rich Camp Raining Money, which is like "what? What are these green pieces of paper? Doll-urs? Never heard of them." lol

Cosmogonal Cultist

33,915 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Beta Gaian 0
Kestrad
Man, mad props to you for going and doing all that math.

So, the only conclusion I can draw from this is that planet Gaia is made mostly of gold. Which begs the question - why are we using it as currency?!
I think the real question is, why aren't WE using DIRT as currency in the real world? We'd all be rich! scream

Yeata Zi's Bae

Dedicated Diedrich

26,600 Points
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
  • Party Member 100
  • Excitable Emoter 25
I could do a lot of embezzling from the Gaian government.

I feel like Diedrich supports the embezzling as long as it is for Parties!

Cosmogonal Cultist

33,915 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Beta Gaian 0
Hassli

All the more reason he should be impeached. dramallama

Yeata Zi's Bae

Dedicated Diedrich

26,600 Points
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
  • Party Member 100
  • Excitable Emoter 25
The Iron Magus
Hassli

All the more reason he should be impeached. dramallama

Diedrich loves peaches!

LabTechX's Waifu

Luminous Fairy

Maybe the coin sprites on the site are to scale.

Itty bitty little chippy flakes of gold, each about the size of a small sequin. heart

Cosmogonal Cultist

33,915 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Beta Gaian 0
Pie

Itty bitty little chippy flakes of gold, each about the size of a small sequin. heart

That IS something that occurred to me, actually.

It really would be the only way you could carry large amounts with you. I just hope Gaia Gold is a LOT stronger than earth gold, because those itty bitty coins would bend, break, and deteriorate like no one's business otherwise. xd You'd start with a pouch of gold coins, and end up with a pouch of gold dust.

LabTechX's Waifu

Luminous Fairy

The Iron Magus
Pie

It really would be the only way you could carry large amounts with you. I just hope Gaia Gold is a LOT stronger than earth gold, because those itty bitty coins would bend, break, and deteriorate like no one's business otherwise. xd You'd start with a pouch of gold coins, and end up with a pouch of gold dust.

Well, it could be an alloy. Or gold leaf that's been brushed on.

Meanwhile, I've always thought of GCash as plastic poker chips.

Cosmogonal Cultist

33,915 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Beta Gaian 0
Pie
The Iron Magus
Pie

Well, it could be an alloy. Or gold leaf that's been brushed on.

Meanwhile, I've always thought of GCash as plastic poker chips.
I don't even think of Gcash as something that exists in the Gaian world. x_x

Sahri's Partner

Dapper Mage

The Iron Magus

Maybe! I guess there's no way to really tell. I've always wanted a gold coin item for my avatar to hold and flip, but the closest I've found is the Rich Camp stacks of Gold, which does depict it in coin for. Then again, from the same event, we have the Rich Camp Raining Money, which is like "what? What are these green pieces of paper? Doll-urs? Never heard of them." lol

There's Luck's On My Side, though the coin's not gold.

Also, thanks for the intriguing topic. My assumption is that our houses have a secret room that's bigger on the inside that contains bags and bags and bags and/or stacks upon stacks (depending on our organizational preferences) of all of our gold. We should get complimentary dragons to guard our hoards once they reach a certain amount. And when we buy something, some mythological lackey/invisible spirit/pure magic takes the gold out of our hoard and transfers it into the hoard of the shopkeeper.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff